For your anti-vax friends
First Page 2 3 4 ... 11 12 13
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-03 16:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

i can eat steamed unseasoned chicken and fish along with steamed veggies... my body is anti-*** till this cancer collection stops

dammit paged save me conway!
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-01-03 16:56:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
That kind of stuff drives me batshit crazy. (Although, I'd say 90% of my meals are either vegan or vegetarian, but I'd never force it on a kid.) People tend to think of the anti-science crowd as bible-thumping hill-people, but there's a sizable contingent of folks on the, for lack of a better term, opposite side of the spectrum who are against certain aspects of modernization for little reason other than pseudoscience. Anti-GMO, anti-vax, anti-gluten, organic only (shudder), etc.

What is wrong with being anti-gluten? I'm intolerant to it and it closes up my intestines, which can cause serious medical issues.
I think he means people who are perfectly ok to eat it but insist it is somehow unhealthy for people who do not have an intolerance.
[+]
 Cerberus.Makira
Server: Cerberus
user: Makira
By Cerberus.Makira 2015-01-03 17:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

wormfeeder said: »
Cerberus.Makira said: »
I have only been vaccinated against two things, polio and smallpox. My parents refused all others. I won't get vaccinated at all with the exception of tetanus. I have never contracted measles mumps or any of the diseases that are vaccinated against. Oh by the way this years vaccine is for the wrong flu strain no sense getting vaccinated.

You realize there's more than one flu strain, right? So where as the particular vaccine this year wasn't for one of the main strands, that doesn't mean it's not protecting you from the others that are out there.

Oops.

The more you know.
Did you know that the flu in this country is in an epidemic stage right now. Probably not. Oops.

Everything is an "epidemic" right now. Ebola included and we all know how fast that is spreading. *insert sarcastic tone*

Just because you've never been sick, doesn't mean vaccinations aren't helping everyone else. >.>
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-03 17:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That kind of stuff drives me batshit crazy. (Although, I'd say 90% of my meals are either vegan or vegetarian, but I'd never force it on a kid.) People tend to think of the anti-science crowd as bible-thumping hill-people, but there's a sizable contingent of folks on the, for lack of a better term, opposite side of the spectrum who are against certain aspects of modernization for little reason other than pseudoscience. Anti-GMO, anti-vax, anti-gluten, organic only (shudder), etc.

What is wrong with being anti-gluten? I'm intolerant to it and it closes up my intestines, which can cause serious medical issues.

There are people who are genuinely gluten-intolerant, but the vast majority of gluten-free products are marketed to morons who'll jump on any health craze and pay top dollar for it. I see stuff everyday marketed as "gluten free" that wouldn't have any wheat products in it anyway. On top of that, everyone goes to WebMD every time they get the hiccups and thinks they have all kinds of exotic diseases. "I had gas after eating chili, I think I have IBS!" People should stray from these health fads unless they have genuinely diagnosed medical conditions, because, chances are, whatever they're eating instead is worse for them. Look at what they put in "light" and "sugar free" foods to make them edible. Diet soft drinks contain artificial sweeteners that are shown to contribute to weight gain more than sugar, some even increase your chances of developing brain tumors.

If you're intolerant, by all means, don't eat gluten. But, there's nothing wrong with pointing out how unnecessary a restricted diet is for everyone else.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2015-01-03 17:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah what's wrong with being anti-gmo
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 17:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

intolerant how? autoimmune?
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-03 17:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, my wife was diagnosed with celiac disease at the age of 2, back when almost nobody had a clue what that was. Even she gets annoyed sometimes by the gluten-free fad and how people react to it.

Odin.Jassik said: »
I see stuff everyday marketed as "gluten free" that wouldn't have any wheat products in it anyway.

Some of the things I've seen labeled as "gluten-free" are laughable, such as raw meat and butter. However, there are quite a few products that seem to have no reason to contain gluten but do anyway, as well as a number of products that used to be gluten-free but now are not. Sometimes it's good to just have the label so that there's no question, because even products that are wheat-free can still have gluten because wheat is not the only source of it.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 17:39:43
Link | Quote | Reply

It's moronic.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-03 17:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It's ignorant.

edit: you win this time Jet *shakes fist*
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-03 17:44:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
It's ignorant.

That's like Inspector Gagdet shaking his fist and saying "I'll get you next time, Dr. Claw!"
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 17:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

It's ignorant.

Seha:

By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 17:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
It's ignorant.

That's like Inspector Gagdet shaking his fist and saying "I'll get you next time, Dr. Claw!"
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-01-03 17:45:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

Don't know the specifics, just know that my intestines close whenever I eat gluten products. I only became this way 4 years ago (I only heard of gluten for the first time last year). I'm guessing that I became this way because of eating cereal (a lot) almost every day of my life for 30 years.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-03 17:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

It's bad to be too cereal in life.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-03 17:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Yeah, my wife was diagnosed with celiac disease at the age of 2, back when almost nobody had a clue what that was. Even she gets annoyed sometimes by the gluten-free fad and how people react to it.

I see stuff everyday marketed as "gluten free" that wouldn't have any wheat products in it anyway.

Some of the things I've seen labeled as "gluten-free" are laughable, such as raw meat and butter. However, there are quite a few products that seem to have no reason to contain gluten but do anyway, as well as a number of products that used to be gluten-free but now are not. Sometimes it's good to just have the label so that there's no question, because even products that are wheat-free can still have gluten because wheat is not the only source of it.

I'm well aware of how prolific gluten based ingredients are, they're used as binders and the base for artificial flavorings off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many more. I was talking about the raw meat and butter types. Even things like bagged salad mixes and fresh fruit. They might as well say they're gasoline free. Thankfully, most major manufacturers as well as support foundations have comprehensive lists of what products are gluten free.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-03 17:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

It's an allergic reaction to gluten, that most doctors seem to misdiagnose as IBS.

It can cause swelling of the intestines, among other problems.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-03 17:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen "Gluten free, farm born eggs of chicken" labels.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2015-01-03 17:49:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hard to say what the truth is. It just seem's like a pissing match to see what side can make more money. I personaly would not trust results from a company that profits on vaccines it would be easy for them to mess with results just to make money. Seeing results from a non profit organization that does not make money from vaccines would be intresting to see though.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-03 17:50:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It's moronic.

There have been many studies showing some GMO's causing all kinds of problems, but GMO's have also made a large impact in yields and decreased the chances of losing crops. I think the bigger issue than whether a product is a GMO or not is what the product is. I think that there should be more comprehensive testing before GMO's are allowed to be sold. They are, in a sense, worth the same scrutiny as pharmaceuticals.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-03 17:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't know the specifics, just know that my intestines close whenever I eat gluten products. I only became this way 4 years ago (I only heard of gluten for the first time last year). I'm guessing that I became this way because of eating cereal (a lot) almost every day of my life for 30 years.

You might have celiac disease. It'd probably be best to get diagnosed just to be sure, as symptoms vary. Gluten allergies typically only cause temporary problems, but eating gluten as a celiac can cause permanent damage to the intestines.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 17:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You may want to go get an official diagnoses, as there's different reasons for a gluten allergy.

If you have what Rav's wife has, you may want to know as it apparently increases your risks to develop another auto-immune, and if that's on your medical documentation, it could literally save your life.

tl;dr go see a doctor, they can test what's causing it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 17:55:05
Link | Quote | Reply

It's moronic.

There have been many studies showing some GMO's causing all kinds of problems, but GMO's have also made a large impact in yields and decreased the chances of losing crops. I think the bigger issue than whether a product is a GMO or not is what the product is. I think that there should be more comprehensive testing before GMO's are allowed to be sold. They are, in a sense, worth the same scrutiny as pharmaceuticals.

That's more of an issue of how it was done, and what testing was done to verify it's safe, than a testament to gmos as a whole though.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-03 17:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's moronic.

That's more of an issue of how it was done, and what testing was done to verify it's safe, than a testament to gmos as a whole though.

Yeah, that was my point. Anti-GMO groups have plenty of legitimate gripes, I'd count myself among them under the current level of oversight. But, that's not to say that GMO's done correctly and safely don't offer massive benefits.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 18:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Just annoyed with the "it's not natural" crowd.

Well you know what's natural? arsenic.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-03 18:07:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Just annoyed with the "it's not natural" crowd.

Well you know what's natural? arsenic.

That's my line! You owe me royalties.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 18:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Talk to Trump.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 18:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

On an interesting note: apparently white rice is leading to increased type 2 diabetes rates, but also has a lower arsenic concentration than brown rice.

Almost a "pick your poison" scenario.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2015-01-03 18:10:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's moronic.

Yeah, that was my point. Anti-GMO groups have plenty of legitimate gripes, I'd count myself among them under the current level of oversight. But, that's not to say that GMO's done correctly and safely don't offer massive benefits.

Are we talking about pesticide toxicity, or direct "this GM food product is causally linked to this human affliction"?

Former, yawn; latter, citation please.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-03 18:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

That's interesting, because the number 1 prescribed food item for a diabetic is white rice. But it also converts the fastest to glucose in the body (as do most naturally occurring sugars, such as lactose, fructose, and so on, despite some natural sugars being easier and simpler to break down)
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 18:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
That's interesting, because the number 1 prescribed food item for a diabetic is white rice. But it also converts the fastest to glucose in the body (as do most naturally occurring sugars, such as lactose, fructose, and so on, despite some natural sugars being easier and simpler to break down)
Eh, the article I was reading could have been biased/wrong, as it was pretty anti-white rice.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 11 12 13