New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » For your anti-vax friends
For your anti-vax friends
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13
By Altimaomega 2015-02-03 13:38:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Can we get some Phytophthora up in here?

You wanna vaccinate plants now? Way to stay on topic.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-03 13:47:29
Link | Quote | Reply

See: potato famine.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-03 14:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Immunity do not pass like that.
I shown it actually does happen with a one second google search. Proving KN wrong "which he let go, since he is a better person than you" and you still won't accept it.
To the best of our medical knowledge, it does not pass like that. There are IgA (breastmilk) and IgG (placental) antibodies, which provide differing coverage, differing responses, for differing durations. IgG appears to be effective for approximately six months, while IgA is effective for a short duration (days-weeks) after nursing. Their effects on immune response is also different.
Babies should have immunity from their vaccinated mother and breastfeeding so they should basically be covered. Very few vaccines need to be given til around 3yrs old.

Notice the use of my words, look closely, I know since you have trouble with the English language its hard for you to spot. Here I'll bold it for you.

Since you seem to not have use of the internet, or your own mind for that matter here is some more info for you to pick apart.
Passive immunity to measles, mumps and rubella usually lasts for about a year, which is why the MMR vaccine is given just after your baby's first birthday.
Assuming the mother is vaccinated (which is going to be another problem, since people don't want to vaccinate their children, even when they get older).
Assuming the mother breastfeeds/is capable of breastfeeding.

Generally speaking, the schedules are created with the objective of maximizing benefits/minimizing risks to those receiving them.

Which is one of the reasons why MMR is scheduled to be given around 12 months, unless you are travelling in that timeframe (at which point, it is advised to be administered earlier).

The potential side effects and ramifications of receiving vaccinations under medical care are multiple orders of magnitude less than catching the disease they are used against.
Depending on the mother vaccinations and how long she has breastfeed that time frame can be extended farther. Hell, based on the time of year and the illness going around your area it could be stretched even farther.

Do you have a source for such a claim?

putting all this stuff into them at such young developmental times cannot be good.

According to who?
Be rational and use your own judgement if you have any of those two ability's left.

Don't mind if I do. My judgement is that rational individuals should look at information provided by multiple empirical studies and provided by an overwhelming number of acknowledged, accredited professionals, rather than vaguely waving their hands and doing what they think "feels right".
P.s. My first child was vaccinated for whooping cough, that winter he "surprise" got a really bad case of whooping cough. My second child has never been vaccinated for whooping cough and "surprise" has never gotten it.
Which proves absolutely nothing new or unknown. Exposure to pertussis generally to be avoided if at all possible, but particularly until at least two courses of vaccinations have been performed. The unfortunate part is that a good number of pertussis cases appear to originate from the parents (when the source is determinable).

And if you never vaccinated your second child, you are a bloody idiot. Particularly if it was due to your experience with your first.
Every thing is not always black and white and you need to learn to read between the lines. Hell, just learn how to read ktxbye... Oh.. btw you even have kids..
I'm pretty damn aware that I have a child, thank you.
I'm also aware of what the immunization schedules are in the US, and in Denmark, how they differ, and the rationale behind why they differ.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-02-03 14:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
According to who?
The future president of the United States of a Better America(to be known as USBA).
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-03 14:58:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
According to who?
The future president of the United States of a Better America(to be known as USBA).
/tries to interrupt Sehachan's summon
[+]
By Altimaomega 2015-02-03 14:59:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Which proves absolutely nothing new or unknown. Exposure to pertussis generally to be avoided if at all possible, but particularly until at least two courses of vaccinations have been performed.

You just said that as long as someone is not exposed to an illness, vaccines work.. WOW.. Just WOW..
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-02-03 15:08:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This person has reproduced, ladies and gentlemen.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-03 15:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Which proves absolutely nothing new or unknown. Exposure to pertussis generally to be avoided if at all possible, but particularly until at least two courses of vaccinations have been performed.

You just said that as long as someone is not exposed to an illness, vaccines work.. WOW.. Just WOW..
Yeah, that isn't what I said. But it does show that you really do know very little about vaccinations.
By Altimaomega 2015-02-03 19:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that isn't what I said. But it does show that you really do know very little about vaccinations.

Please, by all means explain what exactly this means in the context of our conversation.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-03 20:00:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
This person has reproduced, ladies and gentlemen.
POIDH!
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-02-03 20:04:28
Link | Quote | Reply

question: don't you want to spread out your vaccinations because of the mercury in them as to avoid toxicity, especially in young children? If so, I can see why some parents would want to wait awhile before getting some of the vaccines for diseases that are highly unlikely to be contracted.
By Altimaomega 2015-02-03 20:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
question: don't you want to spread out your vaccinations because of the mercury in them as to avoid toxicity, especially in young children? If so, I can see why some parents would want to wait awhile before getting some of the vaccines for diseases that are highly unlikely to be contracted.

The "mercury" in them isn't the bad kind of mercury. At least that is what they tell you. Personally I believe pumping baby's full of vaccines all at once is just asking for trouble.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-03 20:22:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think FFXIAH has to worry about any potato famine.
By Jetackuu 2015-02-03 20:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Unfortunately...
By Jetackuu 2015-02-03 20:33:54
Link | Quote | Reply

The "mercury" in them isn't the bad kind of mercury. At least that is what they tell you. Personally I believe pumping baby's full of vaccines all at once is just asking for trouble.
Fortunately science/medicine doesn't operate on what you believe.

The ethyl mercury atom in thimerosal will flush right out of your body.
By Altimaomega 2015-02-03 20:55:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Just felt the need to insult me and reiterate my words. Good job, keeping with the status quo.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-03 20:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Just felt the need to insult me and reiterate my words. Good job, keeping with the status quo.
There was no reiteration, nor insults.
By fonewear 2015-02-03 21:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Aye me Irish brethren it is a long cold winter !

Your vaccines won't keep you warm at night either !

I did hear news from one Jenny McCarthy and any woman that attractive can't be wrong.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-04 00:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Please, by all means explain what exactly this means in the context of our conversation.
It means that you should avoid exposing your child as much as possible to pertussis until at least two TDaP vaccinations are performed?

The reason being twofold: increased immune response to the disease (due to vaccinations), and age (2nd booster is at about 5-6months).
By Altimaomega 2015-02-04 02:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

It means that you should avoid exposing your child as much as possible to pertussis until at least two TDaP vaccinations are performed?

The reason being twofold: increased immune response to the disease (due to vaccinations), and age (2nd booster is at about 5-6months).

You realize I said:
My first child was vaccinated for whooping cough, that winter he "surprise" got a really bad case of whooping cough.

So you once again assume something to validate your argument. My first child was vaccinated twice for whooping cough and contracted it when he was just over a year and a half. So once again I refer you to this.

Lets leave your assumptions and out of context banter out of our supposed adult conversation.
[+]
 Shiva.Tahngarthor
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Tahngarthor 2015-02-04 03:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
So you once again assume something to validate your argument. My first child was vaccinated twice for whooping cough and contracted it when he was just over a year and a half. So once again I refer you to this.
No vaccine or any other drug or treatment for any condition for that matter is 100% effective. Does that mean we shouldn't try whatever we can to protect the public from diseases for which exists a (mostly) reliable means of prevention? Most vaccines are effective for most people. You example is a rare case where the vaccine was ineffective.

Vaccinces have been a victim of their own success. the perception is since many vaccine-preventable diseases have resulted in the near-elimination of those diseases from the most developed nations, that people don't need to protect their children from them since they are unlikely to get them. the problem is, in the event an incident occurs (for instance) where a diseased person travels to said developed nation? who's going to get sick? the people near him that weren't vaccinated most likely. And then those people will spread it as well to other unvaccinated people.

I am less in favor of vaccines for non communicable illnesses, like shingles. Yes, it's unpleasant and if you had chicken pox you might experience it, but you're not any danger to anyone else. this is a case of drugmakers just trying to sell something.

It just puzzles me why anyone wouldn't want protection from a diseaze where such protection is readily avialable, and more puzzling when people go out of their way to avoid it with "philosophical' exemptions (different from a religious exemption btw) which is basically "I dont want it cuz I don't want it."
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-02-04 05:34:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You realize I said:
My first child was vaccinated for whooping cough, that winter he "surprise" got a really bad case of whooping cough.

Lets leave your assumptions and out of context banter out of our supposed adult conversation.
http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/pregnant/mom/vacc-effectiveness.html
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-02-04 09:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The CDC posts general side effects of these vaccines, and while rare, some of them are very terrible.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm

I love how the overwhelming collective here insists that people not be capable of making their own decisions in whether or not they take this risk. They literally feel entitled to have someone else forcibly inject you with a syringe.

And then on the other hand they welcome illegal immigrants into the country through their ideals of open borders. I'm sure all those "undocumented" workers readily provide their vaccination documentation before entering the country and they pose a far lower health risk than these anti-vaxers that are so easy to bully.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-02-04 09:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

This is America we don't like to think !

That's why we elect politicians to think for us !
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-02-04 10:31:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just in case you thought the anti vax movement was new....

Quote:
The comic above was posted to Reddit today with the caption, "History repeats itself. Anti-vac comic from the 1940s." According to an older post on Super I.T.C.H, a blog devoted to comic history, the illustration comes from a 1930 cartoon booklet titled "Health in Pictures."

Quote:
A commenter on the same thread pointed to another cartoon by satirist James Gillray, this one dating back to the early 19th century. In it, British citizens receiving a cowpox inoculation in 1802 can be seen panicking about the vaccine's rumored effects (allegedly reported by opponents of the vaccination), namely that individuals were developing bovine features.
From the HuffPo.

Full article:
 Cerberus.Wonton
Server: Cerberus
user: WonTon
By Cerberus.Wonton 2015-02-04 14:04:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Olivia, my eldest daughter, caught measles when she was seven years old. As the illness took its usual course I can remember reading to her often in bed and not feeling particularly alarmed about it. Then one morning, when she was well on the road to recovery, I was sitting on her bed showing her how to fashion little animals out of coloured pipe-cleaners, and when it came to her turn to make one herself, I noticed that her fingers and her mind were not working together and she couldn't do anything.

'Are you feeling all right?' I asked her.

'I feel all sleepy,' she said.

In an hour, she was unconscious. In twelve hours she was dead.

The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her.

On the other hand, there is today something that parents can do to make sure that this sort of tragedy does not happen to a child of theirs. They can insist that their child is immunised against measles. I was unable to do that for Olivia in 1962 because in those days a reliable measles vaccine had not been discovered. Today a good and safe vaccine is available to every family and all you have to do is to ask your doctor to administer it.

It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is. In my opinion parents who now refuse to have their children immunised are putting the lives of those children at risk. In America, where measles immunisation is compulsory, measles, like smallpox, has been virtually wiped out.

Here in Britain, because so many parents refuse, either out of obstinacy or ignorance or fear, to allow their children to be immunised, we still have a hundred thousand cases of measles every year. Out of those, more than 10,000 will suffer side effects of one kind or another. At least 10,000 will develop ear or chest infections. About 20 will die.

LET THAT SINK IN.

Every year around 20 children will die in Britain from measles.

So what about the risks that your children will run from being immunised?

They are almost non-existent. Listen to this. In a district of around 300,000 people, there will be only one child every 250 years who will develop serious side effects from measles immunisation! That is about a million to one chance. I should think there would be more chance of your child choking to death on a chocolate bar than of becoming seriously ill from a measles immunisation.

So what on earth are you worrying about? It really is almost a crime to allow your child to go unimmunised.

The ideal time to have it done is at 13 months, but it is never too late. All school-children who have not yet had a measles immunisation should beg their parents to arrange for them to have one as soon as possible.

Incidentally, I dedicated two of my books to Olivia, the first was James and the Giant Peach. That was when she was still alive. The second was The BFG, dedicated to her memory after she had died from measles. You will see her name at the beginning of each of these books. And I know how happy she would be if only she could know that her death had helped to save a good deal of illness and death among other children."

http://roalddahl.com/roald-dahl/timeline/1960s/november-1962
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-04 16:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Wonton said: »
That was twenty-four years ago in 1962
/comfort

I do that too, but I know I wouldn't know what to do with myself in that situation.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-02-04 17:31:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm... when you put it like that, Huff Post or some story from almost 30 years ago trying to get some money... vaccines don't seem so bad after all.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-04 17:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

/comfort

I do that too, but I know I wouldn't know what to do with myself in that situation.

Wonton was quoting Roald Dahl, if you didn't catch that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-02-04 19:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
/comfort

Wonton was quoting Roald Dahl, if you didn't catch that.
That's even worse...

Quote:
Roald Dahl on Olivia, writing in 1988
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13