For your anti-vax friends
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-01-03 02:42:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen up kids. Adults too. There is so much truth in this I don't know where to begin. It's kind of amazing the way someone else's drawings and chat bubbles can sum up everything we've been saying for the past decade or so in a way anyone can easily understand. This is vitally important, so please take the time to read it all.

[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 02:54:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Common knowledge, I mean who still is deluded to the opposite still?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-01-03 02:55:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're anti-vax, I mean, there's really not too much hope for you. :(
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-03 03:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
If you're anti-vax, I mean, there's really not too much hope for you. :(
Want to start a bet pool to see who's anti-vax?

I am thinking of at least 3 at the moment who I'd put money on to be.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-01-03 03:12:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, I can't think of anyone that would be that dense.
By Bloodrose 2015-01-03 03:41:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm for vaccinations personally. I also expect parents to properly vaccinate their kids every year until the child can think cohesively enough to choose to be safe, or go full potato.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2015-01-03 04:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
I'm for vaccinations personally. I also expect parents to properly vaccinate their kids every year until the child can think cohesively enough to choose to be safe, or go full potato.
By the time youve gone full potato youve taken most of the required vaccinations in a full cycle. The only thing after that to take when youve gone full potato is optional stuff, like HPV. OR, if they add another shot in (Like they did with....mumps(?) a few years ago..now i have to get another shot in 2 years >_>)
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-03 04:07:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You can choose not to get boosters as an adult. Vaccines only last so long and are only so effective.

E.g. Pertussis has been evolving* and pregnant mothers are advised (in many countries) to get an updated vaccination to pass on the anti-bodies to babies for the first 6 months

*might not be right word, will link article in a moment

Whooping cough proteins evolving 'unusually' fast
By wormfeeder 2015-01-03 06:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I have only been vaccinated against two things, polio and smallpox. My parents refused all others. I won't get vaccinated at all with the exception of tetanus. I have never contracted measles mumps or any of the diseases that are vaccinated against. Oh by the way this years vaccine is for the wrong flu strain no sense getting vaccinated.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-03 07:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

wormfeeder said: »
I have only been vaccinated against two things, polio and smallpox. My parents refused all others. I won't get vaccinated at all with the exception of tetanus. I have never contracted measles mumps or any of the diseases that are vaccinated against. Oh by the way this years vaccine is for the wrong flu strain no sense getting vaccinated.
Smallpox vaccines stopped being available after 1972. So, you must have been born before then? The vaccine only lasts 3-5 years.

Herd immunity is why you haven't contracted MMR yet. When more people start rolling the dice and not getting vaccinations, the herd immunity is compromised and more are people going to start contracting these mostly erradicated diseases in the US. This has already started occuring in communities with lower vaccination rates and affecting people who have been vaccinated (as it is not 100% effective).

There is never 100% that the flu vaccine used will be the predominate strains that year. This year, in the US, H3N2 has circulated more than expected. However, the other strains that were in the vaccine are still around and infecting people, just to a lessor amount compared to H3N2. Maybe because they have been vaccinated against, maybe not, depends on data that I don't have access to at the moment.
[+]
By wormfeeder 2015-01-03 07:57:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I was born in 1963. I have been exposed to mmr and didn't contract it. Nieces and nephews. Never had the flu or common cold. Only virus I ever had was a wart on my finger.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-01-03 08:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I was born in 1963. I have been exposed to mmr and didn't contract it. Nieces and nephews. Never had the flu or common cold. Only virus I ever had was a wart on my finger.
Really?

You've never had chicken pox, rotavirus, or a virus from school?

That seems, frankly, unbelievable.

If it's true you must have an amazing immune system that somehow doesn't need to develop antibodies to viruses. 99.9% of the rest the world is not as lucky.

Edited
By wormfeeder 2015-01-03 08:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Never had any of them. I have my medical records to prove it. Only time I missed school was due to severe ear infections.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-03 08:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
Really?

If it's true you must have an amazing immune system that somehow doesn't need to develop antibodies to viruses. 99.9% of the rest the world is not as lucky.

Edited

Yeah, that's some extreme luck to never have had the common cold or flu. It's more likely that you've had them but didn't see any symptoms. Regardless, not advocating the use of vaccines just because "I didn't and I'm okay" is an awful way to approach modern medicine.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Waffless
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Waff
By Quetzalcoatl.Waffless 2015-01-03 08:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

If someone is anti-vax then why would you be their friend?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-03 09:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

While uncommon my dad has the same super immune system never had a cold or flu mosquitos won't bite him he is not immune to motorcycle wrecks, electrocution, guns n knives, and my mom
[+]
By wormfeeder 2015-01-03 09:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Really?

Edited

Yeah, that's some extreme luck to never have had the common cold or flu. It's more likely that you've had them but didn't see any symptoms. Regardless, not advocating the use of vaccines just because "I didn't and I'm okay" is an awful way to approach modern medicine.

I'm not against vaccination for people who want them, inject yourself with what you want it's your body.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-01-03 09:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally I don't get flu shots or the flu.

As to anti vaxers, I don't think their kids should be allowed into public schools.
[+]
 Vax
By Vax 2015-01-03 09:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I was like wait, wut? Anti-me?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-03 10:30:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Vax said: »
I was like wait, wut? Anti-me?

Yeah, people think you cause autism.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Bukadan
Server: Carbuncle
user: bukasmith
By Carbuncle.Bukadan 2015-01-03 10:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

anyone who doesnt allow the facts to change their concrete beliefs are truly positioned a step behind everyone else. in this day and age if you see opinions like anti-vax in a say a teenager/young adult then they were indoctrinated hardcore by someone. if they turn around and do the same thing to their children or someone elses children, in my opinion it should be a felony.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-03 11:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not against vaccination for people who want them, inject yourself with what you want it's your body.

There is a very real public health concern when people do not get vaccinated. And, the bad part, it's not just them who is at risk, but everyone they come in contact with.

I'd put anti-vax slightly behind drunk driving in terms of negligence.

Society requires certain things: clothing, using the toilet, personal hygiene... Vaccinating yourself and your children are part of preventing epidemics. It's simple, if you don't want to wear pants or get vaccinated, go live in the woods alone, where you can't infect anyone else.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Server: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-01-03 11:18:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Flu shot is the only vax I don't get.

As for everything else I'll be first in line to get.

I used to get colds/flu 2-3 times a year as result of not washing my hands before I eat or after returning home, or chewing my finger nails, or touching my face/rubbing my eyes. Now that I have broken those habbits I have been without flu/cold for 10 years.
Also I changed my diet to lots of fiber and food that promotes good gut bacteria.
 Shiva.Katharyn
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Katharyn 2015-01-03 12:30:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I really can't wrap my mind around anti-vaxxers.

They object to rules and sharp criticism that get in the way of that. But because of people like that doing really stupid things with no care, or logic, for anyone else, and i often question if they even care about their kids, we have to put laws into place to protect people.

I'm not any more for nanny states then any others, but at the same time, I think this is definitely a situation where we need the state to step in and enforce a law, driving while texting is one, this is another. It needs to be state/federal whichever works best (Well... neither really work well), to get all essential vaccines for your children. Tdap, MMR, Hib, RV etc... flu shot should stay optional though.

I'm not sure what the punishment for not vaccinating your kids should be though...

Both groups put countless people at risk of injury or death, because of impatience and sheer stupidity. That is a public health hazard.
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Server: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2015-01-03 12:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Common knowledge, I mean who still is deluded to the opposite still?

Quote:
If someone is anti-vax then why would you be their friend?

They are everywhere. I was at a New Year's party the other night and was a bit disheartened by what some people I have known for a long time suddenly had to say when the topic came up.

You might be surprised by the number of people who are easily led by false information. Because of them, many diseases that were on the brink of extinction or thought to be long dead are getting a second chance and making a comeback.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-01-03 12:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sheer stupidity and carelessness are disease enough to cull the herd, but often times affect those which aren't infected. If only we could legislate laws to protect us from the idiots...

Not like it would work, but would be a great cash grab
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-01-03 12:56:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaccines are just an excuse for governments to inject us with mind control drugs!!!!!
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-03 13:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Vaccines are just an excuse for governments to inject us with mind control drugs!!!!!

I found a Youtube video that reveals the truth about the ingredients in vaccines. I'd share the link, but I don't want the government to shut the video down. The #1 ingredient:

Hypnotoad Saliva

[+]
First Page 2 ... 11 12 13