Iraq Calls For US Millatary Aid

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Iraq calls for US Millatary Aid
Iraq calls for US Millatary Aid
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 18
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-12 17:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

No big deal. They aren't combat troops.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-12 17:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Since when did military advisers equate to troops?
Military Advisor
annnd

Quote:
A troop is a military unit, originally a small force of cavalry, subordinate to a squadron. In many armies a troop is the equivalent unit to the infantry section or platoon. Exceptions are the Royal Horse Artillery and the US Cavalry, where troop refers to an infantry company or artillery battery.

A cavalry soldier of private rank is called a trooper in many Commonwealth armies (abbreviated Tpr, not to be confused with trouper).

A related sense of the term troop refers to members of the military collectively, as in the troops; see Troop (disambiguation).

Like I said: when did some advisers equate to troops?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 17:53:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Exactly, they're troops, but non-combat troops. Still trained through normal branches of the military.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-12 17:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

No, they're still not troops and to call them as such is purposely misleading.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-12 18:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Military Advisor

They are troops, but it's not really the same thing.

This has an extremely high chance of devolving into everyone's favorite catalyst for a 100 page thread, the Semantic debate, but Advisers aren't recognized as combat troops.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 18:03:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Obama administration may announce on Tuesday a decision to send more military advisers to Iraq, U.S. officials said, as the United States helps confront radical Islamist militants who threaten Iraqi minorities and the northern Kurdish enclave.

Several U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a decision to send at least 70 extra military personnel to Iraq was likely later in the day, but that internal discussions continued and a final decision had not been made.

Since fighters from the self-styled Islamic State, an al Qaeda offshoot, seized much of northwestern Iraq in June, the United States has sent about 700 military personnel to protect U.S. diplomats there and take stock of Iraq's military capacity.
U.S. could announce more troops to Iraq: officials
Update 70 is now 130.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 18:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Military Advisor

This has an extremely high chance of devolving into everyone's favorite catalyst for a 100 page thread, the Semantic debate, but Advisers aren't recognized as combat troops.
Take it up with Reuters.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 18:07:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Someone said earlier that oil has nothing to do with it in the interests of the U.S.

Quote:
U.S. refiners will refrain from buying more Kurdish crude oil until a long-running dispute between Baghdad and Iraqi Kurdistan is settled, while Washington urges both sides to set aside their differences and helps them tackle Sunni militants.

The two known U.S. buyers of Kurdish crude oil have now rejected delivery of cargoes from tankers near New Jersey and Texas, saying they will not make further purchases until it is determined who has the right to sell the oil: the central government of Iraq or the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG).
Oil tankers in limbo show Kurds losing access to U.S. market
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-12 18:19:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that was Savael and it wasn't even worth reading.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-08-12 18:23:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, they're troops, but non-combat troops. Still trained through normal branches of the military.

I never said they weren't troops, I consider anyone on active duty to be troops, but I don't really care to split hairs over the definition. As long as they aren't civilian contractors call them whatever you want, they aren't combat troops, that's all that matters to me.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 18:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I never said they weren't troops, I consider anyone on active duty to be troops, but I don't really care to split hairs over the definition. As long as they aren't civilian contractors call them whatever you want, they aren't combat troops, that's all that matters to me.
Yeah, this was just Jet trolling that started this.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-12 18:30:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Military Advisor

Take it up with Reuters.

Why? They're doing exactly what I expect, sensationalist headlines for clickbait. You're just being stupid for stupid's sake.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 18:37:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Military Advisor

Take it up with Reuters.

Why? They're doing exactly what I expect, sensationalist headlines for clickbait. I'm just being a *** for the hell of it.
ftfy.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-12 18:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, this was just me being a trolling douche that started this.
ftfy, as unlike you, I don't troll.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-12 18:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Military Advisor

Take it up with Reuters.

Why? They're doing exactly what I expect, sensationalist headlines for clickbait. I'm just being a super awesome and smart for the hell of it.
wah

ftfy.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-12 19:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a trolling douche, what did you expect?
Touche.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-08-12 19:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does my penis expand when I look at dead squirrels?

Not really relevant to the thread Chaos, but you might be a serial killer.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-08-12 20:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Why does my penis expand when I look at dead squirrels?

Not really relevant to the thread Chaos, but you might be a serial killer.
Chaos is like Al Gore. Not really relevant, super cereal, and in desperate need of a friend.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-12 21:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaos: stop projecting.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-13 08:51:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Figures, no one has anything intelligent or even rational to contribute so let's follow Jet's trolling.

Nice try though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-13 08:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Internal power struggle of what's left of the Iraqi government continues.
Quote:
Nuri al-Maliki stuck to his guns and refused to accept his removal as Iraq's prime minister on Wednesday, but his hold on power was tenuous as Iran's supreme leader, a long-time Maliki ally, publicly backed his replacement.

Taking to state television as acting premier, Maliki said the supreme court must rule on this week's move to ask his Shi'ite Islamist party colleague Haider al-Abadi to form a new government - a change that Iran, the United States and many Iraqis see as vital to halt the advance of Sunni militants.

But while the loyalty of at least some Shi'ite militia and government forces remains uncertain, there were further signs that Maliki, blamed for alienating the Sunni minority during his eight years in power, is isolated, even among fellow Shi'ites.

U.S. President Barack Obama - whose European allies followed his lead on Wednesday to arm Kurdish forces that have taken the recent brunt of fighting with the Sunni Islamic State - has already offered Abadi its endorsement. Washington lost patience with Maliki, who rose from obscurity during the U.S. occupation.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, bound to Tehran's U.S. adversary by a common interest in curbing the rise of Sunni jihadists in Syria and Iraq, offered his personal endorsement to Abadi. He very publicly distanced himself in the process from Maliki, who has looked for support from Iran, where he spent years in exile opposing Sunni dictator Saddam Hussein.

"I hope the designation of the new prime minister in Iraq will untie the knot and lead to the establishment of a new government and teach a good lesson to those who aim for sedition in Iraq," Khamenei said in a statement on his website.
Maliki refuses to go as Iraqis turn to new leader
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-13 09:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

they are all going to wear cheap flea market flip flops to adhere to obama's strict "no boots on the ground policy"

except that one guy that wears heels...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-13 09:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

they are all going to wear cheap flea market flip flops to adhere to obama's strict "no boots on the ground policy"

Or Crocks.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-13 09:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

Or Crocks.

as long as it's not boots!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-13 11:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Figures, no one has anything intelligent or even rational to contribute so let's follow Chaos's trolling.

Nice try though.
ftfy
By volkom 2014-08-13 12:07:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this Vietnam but in the desert?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-13 12:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »

comparable, I suppose. would need to drag on for another 10 or so years though, I think.
By fonewear 2014-08-13 12:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Well most of the hippies are too lazy to protest this.
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-08-13 12:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The official title is "Vietnam 2 electric boogaloo"

we ran out words to put after "desert"
[+]
 Siren.Mosin