Iraq Calls For US Millatary Aid

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Iraq calls for US Millatary Aid
Iraq calls for US Millatary Aid
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18
 Odin.Godofgods
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-06-12 08:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Iraq Asks U.S. to Help Quell Militant Uprising

Following a wave of violence that has seen two major cities fall to insurgent forces, the government of Iraq has asked the United States for air assistance in quelling the uprising by al-Qaeda affiliated militants, U.S. officials confirmed to NBC News on Wednesday.

The Wall Street Journal was the first to report the request, citing senior officials who noted that the White House is mulling several options, "including the possibility of providing 'kinetic support' for the Iraqi military" which is fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, an affiliate of al-Qaeda known by the initials ISIS or ISIL.

Over the past few days, the group's militants, many of them in fast-moving pickup trucks mounted with machine guns, captured Iraq's second-largest city, Mosul, before barreling south to take the city of Tikrit — two urban centers in the heartland of northern Iraq's oil industry.

Iraq has previously asked for drones it could use, but Washington didn't want to supply them to the government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, which has close ties to Tehran and has permitted Iran to ship weapons to the Syria regime through Iraqi territory.

Officials on Tuesday did not want to discuss specifics of the potential military assistance.

"We are not going to get into details of our diplomatic discussions but the Government of Iraq has made clear that they welcome our support in their effort to confront ISIL," National Security Council official Bernadette Meehan told NBC News.

"We have expedited shipments of military equipment since the beginning of the year, ramped up training of Iraqi Security Forces, and worked intensively to help Iraq implement a holistic approach to counter this terrorist threat," she added. "Our assistance has been comprehensive, is continuing, and will increase."

Meanwhile, Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday spoke by phone to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Erdogan and pledged U.S. support following the ISIS's siege of the Turkish consulate in Mosul and kidnapping of various personnel — including the consul general and his family.

"The Vice President underscored (that) the United States condemns the actions taken by ISIL, calls for the safe and immediate return of the Turkish personnel and family members, and supports efforts by Iraqi national and Kurdish security forces to work together to combat the ISIL threat," the White House said in a statement.

Source
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-12 08:42:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that will play well for Obama.

Didn't he pull out because of the unpopularity of the war?

Now they are asking for help because Obama pulled out before the job was done, and here is the proof that Obama rather listen to popularity polls instead of common sense.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-06-12 08:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama pulled out due to an agreement signed by GW and followed the timeline already set.

Granted he did stick with it, but that was as long as we were welcome there. Now that they're asking for aid, it would be best (IMO) to take it to the UN and try to get joint forces to assist.

At least this time they asked for help, instead of making up a lousy WMD fake scare.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-12 08:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure this is Bush's fault.

Blame me once shame on you. Blame me twice a Democrat you be.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-12 08:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
At least this time they asked for help, instead of making up a lousy WMD fake scare intelligence from our own agency.

ftfy
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-06-12 08:52:36
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'm pretty sure this is Bush's fault.

Blame me once shame on you. Blame me twice a Democrat you be.
Blame me thrice, and the media will praise you.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-12 08:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally blame George Bush Sr. Damn you desert storm and your storminess.
By Jetackuu 2014-06-12 08:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
At least this time they asked for help, instead of making up a lousy WMD fake scare intelligence from our own agency.

ftfy
I'm skeptical on that by nature, but meh. Nothing we can prove, so we can only move on.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-12 08:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

In hindsight, he probably should have just gone all the way to Baghdad huh?

Anyway, something obviously needs to be done. You can't have a terrorist organization take over two major cities... But this isn't just a U.S. problem...
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 09:14:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Should have just let Hussein in charge. Guy knew how to run the country. But nope, just had to install 'democracy'. How's that working out?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-12 09:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If by "Run the Country" you mean "Gas the Kurdish People" then yeah, he was a great leader.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-06-12 09:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny how we get a Random P&R thread but we still get ***threads. Just ask the UN, or wait a decade for a republican to be in the WH.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 10:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
If by "Run the Country" you mean "Gas the Kurdish People" then yeah, he was a great leader.
Compared to all deaths American intervention has caused.
By volkom 2014-06-12 10:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

what about deaths prevented by american intervention?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 10:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Far more caused than prevented if there was even a way to prove how many were prevented. The place is a mess.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-06-12 10:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So you are telling me this Middle East place is an actual place. And not just something I ignore on a daily basis. Amazing.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 10:55:55
Link | Quote | Reply

So you are telling me this Middle East place is an actual place. And not just something I ignore on a daily basis. Amazing.
You should check it out sometime. Cheap rates available. A nice little vacation.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-06-12 10:56:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama pulled out before the job was done

phrasing.

lol

the 'job' was delaying a civil war... we'd have to stay there & play cop forever for the 'job to be done'
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-06-12 10:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Far more caused than prevented if there was even a way to prove how many were prevented. The place is a mess.

Who can say either way? This place is a hot mess. Literally and figuratively. With or without US involvement, people are getting killed far more often than they should.

I like to tell myself that with U.S. involvement there are more dying that had it coming than not. But that could just be something my remaining shred of optimism whispers to me sometimes, trying so hard to balance the cynicism and mistrust. :p
By fonewear 2014-06-12 10:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You should check it out sometime. Cheap rates available. A nice little vacation.

I heard July is the time to go. Avoid all the tourists.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 10:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Saddam knew the people and how to keep 'em check. Places like that you gotta rule with an iron fist.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-06-12 10:59:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

phrasing.

lol

the 'job' was delaying a civil war... we'd have to stay there & play cop forever for the 'job to be done'

Should have just made it the 51st state and followed up by sending the entirety of our prison population over there
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-06-12 11:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

ftfy

You really need to do a little background reading before making such moronic and bold statements. The intelligence that suggested Saddam had WMD's was very small and unreliable, MOST of it was easily dismissed by the same intelligence analysts. If 100 intelligence people say there's no chance he has WMD's and one crackpot says he does and you go with the crackpot, you can't blame the mistake on the intelligence.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 11:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

phrasing.

lol

Should have just made it the 51st state and followed up by sending the entirety of our prison population over there
Or this ^
By fonewear 2014-06-12 11:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Saddam knew the people and how to keep 'em check. Places like that you gotta rule with an iron fist.

Give them Apple products they will do anything for an Ipad.

We need a better kind of dictator. A softer gentler kind that rules with overpriced electronics.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-06-12 11:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

you. ***. creep.

I typed that, almost word for word, then deleted it because I figured some jackass would take me seriously.

great minds?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-06-12 11:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess... But people die for less than self determination all the time. It seems like a black&white fallacy to assume that Either A) Saddam is in Power and The world is safer for it, or B) Saddam Isn't in Power and the World is more dangerous for it

There's a million and a half other problems and *** (Some our fault, some not) that contribute to the decay of Iraq. I guess in some respect, Iraq shouldn't exist anyway, gathering that kind of disparity between sects of Islam wasn't going to end well. It does take a dictator to manage that kind of situation, but that doesn't make it right.
By fonewear 2014-06-12 11:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

phrasing.

lol

Can we turn this into a reality TV show on Fox ? Watch as prisoners struggle in a foreign culture and fight to survive in a cruel world where they don't fit in.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-06-12 11:10:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Considering how many of our prison population are minor drug offenders, Baghdad would become a much warmer version of Amsterdam... win/win.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-06-12 11:11:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »

I guess... But people die for less than self determination all the time. It seems like a black&white fallacy to assume that Either A) Saddam is in Power and The world is safer for it, or B) Saddam Isn't in Power and the World is more dangerous for it

There's a million and a half other problems and *** (Some our fault, some not) that contribute to the decay of Iraq. I guess in some respect, Iraq shouldn't exist anyway, gathering that kind of disparity between sects of Islam wasn't going to end well. It does take a dictator to manage that kind of situation, but that doesn't make it right.
Trying to invade the country wasn't right to begin with. Two wrongs don't make a right.
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18