Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 585 586 587 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-20 14:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The negative effects of MMOs (NOT FPS's) ~ 10 pages
You can use this website as a thesis then!
I definitely thought of this website when I agreed to the assignment.

Given it's in China I hope you're touching upon the insane RMT industry and the conditions of those workers.
I'm debating that, but I have to approach from a slightly different angle.

Thanks though guys for all the aspects I need to cover. Even Verda too. :P
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:32:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Then tell us your version of events and why you think they didn't do it to themselves.

...the individuals in those jobs? China's workers in general?

Do you understand anything about how countries, social classes, work forces, etc. develop?

Let alone how China's modern history is just...a total *** mess?

Probably not. As you seem to think everyone working in unskilled labor jobs, or unemployed/underemployed in the U.S. is there "because it's their own fault and deserves whatever negative repercussions come there way" too.
Ok, I don't know where your hostility is coming from. I already assumed that you know the information you just presented in my first argument....but there you go.

Ok, so tell us how as a society they didn't *** themselves over by offering cheap labor to outside countries as a way to try to boost their economy in a time where, all other factors were to remain constant, communism would have destroyed whatever society they had remaining and they would have progressed to a different political and economic system if they didn't undersell their future like they did?

In other words, given the choices they made, how is it my fault that they made the decisions they made, and why should you think I'm responsible for their bad decisions?

There is also the ethical question. Part of the reason labor is cheap is because of the lack of protective measures, be it for personal safety, or environmental concerns.

Is it ethical to hire people for less wages, and not institute the same level of safety measures (building codes, personal protections, climate regulation, etc) / environmental protections?
Sorry, but am I the one hiring these workers in that factory who supplies me with product to sell in my store and/or components I use to manufacture products here to sell to my customers?

Or are you going to say that you would never buy a product from people who "exploit their workers" (another very loose term that can mean pretty much anything/everything under the sun)?

Hell, just by posting, you already proven that you don't follow what you are preaching. Most components are made under the same "unethical" practices you are preaching against!
 Bahamut.Omael
Server: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-05-20 14:33:35
Link | Quote | Reply

There is also the ethical question. Part of the reason labor is cheap is because of the lack of protective measures, be it for personal safety, or environmental concerns.

Is it ethical to hire people for less wages, and not institute the same level of safety measures (building codes, personal protections, climate regulation, etc) / environmental protections?

Whatever answer gets you more profit is the right one. Everything else will be solved by the invisible hand.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-20 14:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

am I the one hiring these workers in that factory

I said it the first time, that pic looks like a slaver of the 19th century.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
am I the one hiring these workers in that factory

I said it the first time, that pic looks like a slaver of the 19th century.
And get back to work!

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »
Whatever answer gets you more profit is the right one

Oliver Stone thought he made a movie about a scumbag who people would hate.

Turns out he just inspired generations of terrible people.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-05-20 14:37:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Omael said: »
Whatever answer gets you more profit is the right one

Oliver Stone thought he made a movie about a scumbag who people would hate.

Turns out he just inspired generations of terrible people.

Yeah, pretty much.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-20 14:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Then again, China, so. Best not dissent, I suppose.

This plus this:

Basically, Chinese RMTs got it made compared to the rest of that society. But it's not our place to force our ideals on them.

They're really big on not having western influences 'forced' on to them. They rather develop in their own way on their own time line.

So since it's negative effects, in order to bring RMTs into the paper, I have to figure out a better way to present it from a non-western viewpoint.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-20 14:43:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
"Hey at least she isn't Scott Walker."

If we're simply talking having to choose betwixt degrees of shitty, that's actually a ringing endorsement.

The democrat party, at least they aren't that other guy...
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

"Hey at least she isn't Scott Walker."

If we're simply talking having to choose betwixt degrees of shitty, that's actually a ringing endorsement.

The democrat party, at least they aren't that other guy...

Sadly, yeah. That's the ***choice we have.

Luckily it hasn't screwed us all over yet. Probably won't any time soon either, despite the gloom and doom from both sides "if the other side's guy gets elected".
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-20 14:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Then tell us your version of events and why you think they didn't do it to themselves.

...the individuals in those jobs? China's workers in general?

Do you understand anything about how countries, social classes, work forces, etc. develop?

Let alone how China's modern history is just...a total *** mess?

Probably not. As you seem to think everyone working in unskilled labor jobs, or unemployed/underemployed in the U.S. is there "because it's their own fault and deserves whatever negative repercussions come there way" too.
Ok, I don't know where your hostility is coming from. I already assumed that you know the information you just presented in my first argument....but there you go.

Ok, so tell us how as a society they didn't *** themselves over by offering cheap labor to outside countries as a way to try to boost their economy in a time where, all other factors were to remain constant, communism would have destroyed whatever society they had remaining and they would have progressed to a different political and economic system if they didn't undersell their future like they did?

In other words, given the choices they made, how is it my fault that they made the decisions they made, and why should you think I'm responsible for their bad decisions?

Sorry, but am I the one hiring these workers in that factory who supplies me with product to sell in my store and/or components I use to manufacture products here to sell to my customers?
No, you are not directly hiring them. However, there are many CSR policies which do explicitly forbid doing business with other companies or factories which do not establish baseline policies (at a minimum).

Or are you going to say that you would never buy a product from people who "exploit their workers" (another very loose term that can mean pretty much anything/everything under the sun)?
Hell, just by posting, you already proven that you don't follow what you are preaching. Most components are made under the same "unethical" practices you are preaching against!
You are assuming that I'm not posting from a computer where components are entirely sourced from responsible vendors. (aluminum case from iceland, various fabricators in the US for components and chipset, e.g. TI, bios from AMI).
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-20 14:57:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like Rand Paul is filibustering his fellow Kentuckian senator's Patriot Act renewal, how embarrassing for Mitch McConnell.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:58:31
Link | Quote | Reply

No, you are not directly hiring them. However, there are many CSR policies which do explicitly forbid doing business with other companies or factories which do not establish baseline policies (at a minimum).
And do you know that these factories do not establish baseline policies at all? Hell, in order for these factories to maintain customers, they had to establish such policies.

You just don't hear about such CSR or anything really that puts companies in a positive light, as it would go against the ongoing negativity campaign against them by various groups (media, unions, liberal/democrats, so on/so forth).

You are assuming that I'm not posting from a computer where components are entirely sourced from responsible vendors. (aluminum case from iceland, various fabricators in the US for components and chipset, e.g. TI, bios from AMI).
Yes, I am. Notice how you assume that these factories don't set standards that their customers placed on them?

I'm sure you will find one or two factories that do not meet or conform with basic standards, like ISO9000 for instance, but hey, anything to throw negativity on businesses, right?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-20 15:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Looks like Rand Paul is filibustering his fellow Kentuckian senator's Patriot Act renewal, how embarrassing for Mitch McConnell.

Good! even though it's driven by grandstanding (I assume) the patriot act needs to die, & the NSA should be dissolved.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-20 15:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a time and a place for the patriot act, and under Obama it ain't.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-20 15:03:31
Link | Quote | Reply

There was a time and a place for the patriot act

nope.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-20 15:04:11
Link | Quote | Reply

nope
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 15:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

nope.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-05-20 15:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

The Patriot Act is set to expire in its entirety on June 1, and McConnell is handling it as terribly as you would expect. He wants a 5 1/2 year extension of the entire Act with no reforms, and he is pretty much on an island, if he put it to a vote, I would bet 80 senators would vote against it.
The House passed its legislation to end the NSA's bulk data collection with an overwhelming 338 votes, Obama has said he wants to sign it into law, and McConnell doesn't care. And with Congress set to go on another vacation at the end of they day tomorrow that won't end until after June 1st, he basically has about 30 hours to figure it out.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-20 15:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lets hope Rand Paul can save the day.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-20 15:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

And do you know that these factories do not establish baseline policies at all? Hell, in order for these factories to maintain customers, they had to establish such policies.

You just don't hear about such CSR or anything really that puts companies in a positive light, as it would go against the ongoing negativity campaign against them by various groups (media, unions, liberal/democrats, so on/so forth).
I... just brought it up.
There is also having a CSR (which is voluntary), and actually engaging in activities which support it.
Yes, I am. Notice how you assume that these factories don't set standards that their customers placed on them?

I'm sure you will find one or two factories that do not meet or conform with basic standards, like ISO9000 for instance, but hey, anything to throw negativity on businesses, right?
I'm unfortunately rather familiar with specifically ISO9001. It has everything to do with ensuring a process (and process management) is in place, and auditing against that process. It has very little to do with whether or not that process is meaningful or contributing towards a good product, or improving it.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 15:20:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I think we are talking about two different things now....
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-20 15:33:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course. Patriot act bad, corporate CSR good in concept, but hard to measure effectiveness in solution.

You can point to the Apple/Foxconn fiasco as an example(not that it proves the rule).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 15:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course. Patriot act bad, corporate CSR good in concept, but hard to measure effectiveness in solution.

You can point to the Apple/Foxconn fiasco as an example(not that it proves the rule).
Again, you cannot demean a group because of a few bad actors, or you are going to end up hating everything because humans.

It is impossible to measure effectiveness on a solution where there is insufficient data and not any measurable qualities between two events.

Either way, nobody has the right to "liberate" people because of their bad decisions. If there's anything we can learn about Iraq, it's that.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-21 09:47:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you cannot demean a group because of a few bad actors

sure we can, we do it all the time.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-21 10:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Either way, nobody has the right to "liberate" people because of their bad decisions. If there's anything we can learn about Iraq, it's that.

What about from the bad decisions of the few controlling the many?

Or are you actually arguing that dictatorships such as places like North Korea are okay?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-21 10:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sometimes a dictatorship is the best option. I thought the evidence was clear on this by now.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-21 10:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

What about from the bad decisions of the few controlling the many?

Or are you actually arguing that dictatorships such as places like North Korea are okay?
I'm not arguing that they are ok or not, I'm arguing that if the people in that country allows a dictatorship to happen, then it's their problem, not ours.

If they want to be brainwashed into thinking that their standard of living is better under the "regime" and not as a free nation (hell, they can just look over to the south to see how it is there), then it is their choice and we should respect it, not force our ideas onto others.

How else do you think America got such a shitty name in the global community? Basically because we have for decades forced our ideals on to others...

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-21 10:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
I'm arguing that if the people in that country allows a dictatorship to happen, then it's their problem, not ours.

If they want to be brainwashed into thinking that their standard of living is better under the "regime" and not as a free nation (hell, they can just look over to the south to see how it is there), then it is their choice and we should respect it, not force our ideas onto others.

Yes, put the blame on the citizens, they let dictatorship happen, it's their fault.
Change is bad, mmk~

Let's all liberate everyone from their own inaction and bad decisions, because of feels
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 585 586 587 ... 1375 1376 1377