Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 584 585 586 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 13:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The negative effects of MMOs (NOT FPS's) ~ 10 pages
You can use this website as a thesis then!
I definitely thought of this website when I agreed to the assignment.
Your abstract should be:

Negative effects of MMOs include the ideas of a hierarchical society where only the elite and leaders reap the rewards of the group in whole while the lower hierarchy suffers from constant infighting and warring with each other to get into the next level of the hierarchy....

You can also include the dependency of a stronger class to carry those who want to succeed over those who want to survive, and how people's ideas contract from reality and creates a society where independence is demeaned and dependence is lauded.

Somewhat related, my youngest brother played WoW a ton. One of his guild mates was really into the economy. And nothing else.

He wrote his thesis paper on in game economies. People knew him by name for manipulating auction house prices, fixing prices, etc. Which is what got him hated on by a lot of people. He only really crafted and gamed the auction house. I guess he did finally level up but only so he could farm certain mats at one time. Needless to say he had a butt-ton of gold.
You should direct his actions towards real life goals. Like gaming the stock market (if that's really possible, hell, even the best brokers cannot predict the future).
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 13:48:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Given it's in China I hope you're touching upon the insane RMT industry and the conditions of those workers.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-20 13:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Just today?

It's super cute you think I place any value at all on your opinion.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 13:51:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Given it's in China I hope you're touching upon the insane RMT industry and the conditions of those workers.
Compared to what, how Chinese treat their employees in other industries, where safety is non-existent, workplace conditions are usually hazardous at best, and living arrangements are worse than cattle yards?

Hell, Chinese RMTs have it made, they have to play in A/C rooms just to keep the computers from overheating. Which is a step up than most of their industrial counterparts.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-20 13:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

He wrote his thesis paper on in game economies. People knew him by name for manipulating auction house prices, fixing prices, etc. Which is what got him hated on by a lot of people. He only really crafted and gamed the auction house. I guess he did finally level up but only so he could farm certain mats at one time. Needless to say he had a butt-ton of gold. One example I was told was that if people undercut him, he'd buy up all the undercut, and put it back up on the AH at the fixed price.
What do you do in your free time?
Oh you know, just being a goblin. *hoards gold for no purpose*
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 13:53:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Your abstract should be:

Negative effects of MMOs include the ideas of a hierarchical society where only the elite and leaders reap the rewards of the group in whole while the lower hierarchy suffers from constant infighting and warring with each other to get into the next level of the hierarchy....

You can also include the dependency of a stronger class to carry those who want to succeed over those who want to survive, and how people's ideas contract from reality and creates a society where independence is demeaned and dependence is lauded.

Somewhat related, my youngest brother played WoW a ton. One of his guild mates was really into the economy. And nothing else.

He wrote his thesis paper on in game economies. People knew him by name for manipulating auction house prices, fixing prices, etc. Which is what got him hated on by a lot of people. He only really crafted and gamed the auction house. I guess he did finally level up but only so he could farm certain mats at one time. Needless to say he had a butt-ton of gold.
You should direct his actions towards real life goals. Like gaming the stock market (if that's really possible, hell, even the best brokers cannot predict the future).

I'm sure the lack of regulation in online economies and the ability to turn that digital money into real money strongly interests some people. However he was doing a business degree, so it was probably just a stepping stone. It is possible to game the system in real life it just usually sometimes ends up being illegal. The people best at it usually work for large companies. BBC had a news article today where 4-5 banks are getting fined billions for fixing foreign currency exchange rates for 30 seconds every day.
"Influencing" not "Fixing"

There is a difference in the legal definition. Still illegal, but hey, whatever the media wants to portray.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 13:53:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hell, Chinese RMTs have it made, they have to play in A/C rooms just to keep the computers from overheating. Which is a step up than most of their industrial counterparts.

It's focusing on the negatives. No reason not to cover them, even if "other people have it worse".

Then again, China, so. Best not dissent, I suppose.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 13:54:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Just today?

It's super cute you think I place any value at all on your opinion.
Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time in your response to me telling me that you don't care about my responses. That makes your message go so much further~.

justsayin.jpg
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 13:56:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's focusing on the negatives. No reason not to cover them, even if "other people have it worse".

Then again, China, so. Best not dissent, I suppose.
I'm just saying, if you are going to focus on the negatives, you should probably look at the conditions of similar situations or situations where, if the negatives in this one topic were removed, what would happen afterwards.

Basically, Chinese RMTs got it made compared to the rest of that society. But it's not our place to force our ideals on them. We did that with Iraq, remember?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-20 13:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

MMOs in general I think are a great material for antrhopological research.

...maybe that's why they exist! *ponders if wearing the e-tinfoil or not*
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 13:58:36
Link | Quote | Reply

But it's not our place to force our ideals on them.

Convenient defense of cheap labor.~
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:00:33
Link | Quote | Reply

That's where you are going with your argument?

Do you not understand that they placed themselves in that predicament? Or should we liberate them from low wages because of feels?
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you not understand that they placed themselves in that predicament?

Assuming you're not just saying this thinking everyone is dumber than you and you expect people to believe this, your lack of understanding of how things come to be is...staggering.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you not understand that they placed themselves in that predicament?

Assuming you're not just saying this thinking everyone is dumber than you and you expect people to believe this, your lack of understanding of how things come to be is...staggering.
Then tell us your version of events and why you think they didn't do it to themselves.

I'm sure it's going to be something like US corporations coming to China, putting guns on their heads and claim that they are all now slaves to the corporations themselves or something like that
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:12:32
Link | Quote | Reply

"Influencing" not "Fixing"

There is a difference in the legal definition. Still illegal, but hey, whatever the media wants to portray.
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32817114

Here's the article. They called it fixing. Actually the guys who were finally caught doing it and fined even called the daily 4pm fix, or just the fix :P I'm not sure which it is by legal definition though. That's your department :)

More on it cuz I think it's hilarious and interesting both:
Quote:
In a scheme known as "building ammo", a single trader would amass a large position in a currency and, just before or during the fix, would exit that position.

Other members of the cartel would be aware of the plan and would be able to profit.

Quote:
The fines break a number of records. The criminal fines of more than $2.5bn are the largest set of anti-trust fines obtained by the Department of Justice.
Quote:
One Barclays trader who was invited to join the cartel was told: "Mess up and sleep with one eye open at night."
Quote:
Shares in Barclays gained 3.4% and RBS rose 1.8%.

~_~
Again, what they did was "influence" it, not "price fixing"

Only governments have the power to price fix their currency on the global market. Like Iran.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-20 14:13:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think Persia is a cooler name.

Yes, I know it's not the name they chose for their country but who cares! I'll call it Persia forever.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:13:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Then tell us your version of events and why you think they didn't do it to themselves.

...the individuals in those jobs? China's workers in general?

Do you understand anything about how countries, social classes, work forces, etc. develop?

Let alone how China's modern history is just...a total *** mess?

Probably not. As you seem to think everyone working in unskilled labor jobs, or unemployed/underemployed in the U.S. is there "because it's their own fault and deserves whatever negative repercussions come there way" too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you understand anything about how countries, social classes, work forces, etc. develop?

Probably not. As you seem to think everyone working in unskilled labor jobs, or unemployed/underemployed in the U.S. is there "because it's their own fault and deserves whatever negative repercussions come there way" too.
Ok, I don't know where your hostility is coming from. I already assumed that you know the information you just presented in my first argument....but there you go.

Ok, so tell us how as a society they didn't *** themselves over by offering cheap labor to outside countries as a way to try to boost their economy in a time where, all other factors were to remain constant, communism would have destroyed whatever society they had remaining and they would have progressed to a different political and economic system if they didn't undersell their future like they did?

In other words, given the choices they made, how is it my fault that they made the decisions they made, and why should you think I'm responsible for their bad decisions?
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

"Feels", I guess.

Whatever.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-20 14:24:32
Link | Quote | Reply

"Feels", I guess.
That's your solution to everything!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:24:35
Link | Quote | Reply

"Feels", I guess.

Whatever.
And there we go. I think we can all surmise the world's greatest problems into trying to solve an issue with "feels"
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-20 14:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

"Hey at least she isn't Scott Walker."
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
"Hey at least she isn't Scott Walker."

If we're simply talking having to choose betwixt degrees of shitty, that's actually a ringing endorsement.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

"Feels", I guess.

Whatever.
And there we go. I think we can all surmise the world's greatest problems into trying to solve an issue with "feels"

Yeah.

If we'd just shut the *** up and let the moneymakers exploit who they need to in order to keep the system just as it is...
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-20 14:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, I don't know where your hostility is coming from. I already assumed that you know the information you just presented in my first argument....but there you go.

Ok, so tell us how as a society they didn't *** themselves over by offering cheap labor to outside countries as a way to try to boost their economy in a time where, all other factors were to remain constant, communism would have destroyed whatever society they had remaining and they would have progressed to a different political and economic system if they didn't undersell their future like they did?

In other words, given the choices they made, how is it my fault that they made the decisions they made, and why should you think I'm responsible for their bad decisions?

There is also the ethical question. Part of the reason labor is cheap is because of the lack of protective measures, be it for personal safety, or environmental concerns.

Is it ethical to hire people for less wages, and not institute the same level of safety measures (building codes, personal protections, climate regulation, etc) / environmental protections?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-20 14:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

"Feels", I guess.

Whatever.

Yeah.

If we'd just shut the *** up and let the moneymakers exploit who they need to in order to keep the system just as it is...
Fine, let's start with our own society first before we decide to annex another society into ours.

Although, to be honest, what gives anyone the right to change the ideas of another culture? Even if they think they are doing it for the right reasons (aka "Feels")?
By Ramyrez 2015-05-20 14:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
There is also the ethical question.

Feels are irrelevant.

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Is it ethical to hire people for less wages, and not institute the same level of safety measures (building codes, personal protections, climate regulation, etc) / environmental protections?

Ethics are feels.

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 584 585 586 ... 1375 1376 1377