Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1374 1375 1376 1377
By Jetackuu 2016-03-25 19:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

So a terrorist was shot? Big deal.

edit: I do find that it shouldn't have been done, but it's done.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-03-25 22:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
ISIS at it again

Bombed a park after a football game in Iskanderiyah, south of Baghdad, and killed 30 people and injured 70

In Belgium they stopped 11 people from being able to enter the 2 nuclear power plants by withdrawing their passes after reports that the terrorists who attacked Brussels had plans for a dirty bomb

The two brothers (El Bakraoui) apparently spied on a researcher at Tihange. They had a camera outside his house to monitor his routine.

They also lost their 2nd in command and future leader, current financial chief, as well as a bunch of guys in France.

We kill 1. They kill 30 and wound 70 innocent civilians. Fair trade.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-03-25 22:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yep.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-26 07:02:36
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-03-26 07:29:26
Link | Quote | Reply

omg guyz a bird landed on bernie's podium, hes so qualified for president!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-03-26 07:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you ever have fun in your life?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2016-03-26 09:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »

A swipe like this would have gotten Altima temp banned.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-26 10:11:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

A swipe like this would have gotten Altima temp banned.

Not these days. I'd like to think we've cleaned a lot of the little stuff up.

Also, if you can't have a genuine laugh at that picture, regardless of who you support, "whether or not you've ever had fun" isn't an unfair question. Lighten up, Francis.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2016-03-26 10:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-26 17:01:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently the terrorist who blew himself up in Stockholm in 2010 had a Belgian ID on him, possible he had connections to jihadists in Belgium.

Thankfully that guy only managed to blow himself up.

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2016-03-26 17:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
omg guyz a bird landed on bernie's podium, hes so qualified for president!
That's how you read the picture? If you ignore the looks on their faces, it would seem Trump gets the endorsement since he has the eagle.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-03-26 17:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmm not quite
[+]
By Ackeron 2016-03-26 20:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-03-27 13:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

50-70 people dead after a suicide bombing by Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan in a park in Pakistan. They were there celebrating Easter and most of the victims were women and children.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 10:23:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Pakistan to launch paramilitary crackdown after Easter bombing kills 70

Quote:
Pakistan will launch a paramilitary crackdown on Islamist militants in Punjab, the country's richest and most populous province, after an Easter Day bombing killed 70 people in the provincial capital Lahore, officials said on Monday.

Sunday's suicide bombing on a public park was claimed by the Pakistani Taliban's Jamaat-ur-Ahrar faction, which once declared loyalty to Islamic State. The group said it was targeting Christians.

The brutality of the attack, Jamaat-ur-Ahrar's fifth bombing since December, reflects the movement's attempts to raise its profile among Pakistan's increasingly fractured Islamist militants.

At least 29 children enjoying an Easter weekend outing were among those killed when the suicide bomber struck in a busy park in the eastern city of Lahore, the power base of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. Pakistan is a majority-Muslim state but has a Christian population of more than two million.

At the Vatican in Rome, Pope Francis condemned the attack as "hideous" and demanded that Pakistani authorities protect religious minorities.

It was Pakistan's deadliest attack since the December 2014 massacre of 134 school children at a military-run academy in the city of Peshawar that prompted a government crackdown on Islamist militancy.

Security and government officials told Reuters that the decision had been made to launch a full-scale paramilitary Rangers operation, giving them powers to conduct raids and interrogate suspects in the same way as they have been in the southern city of Karachi for more than two years.

The move, which has not yet been formally announced, represents the civilian government once again granting special powers to the military in order to fight Islamist militants.

"The technicalities are yet to be worked out. There are some legal issues also with bringing in Rangers, but the military and government are on the same page," said one senior security official, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to share details of the plan.

One other military official and two government officials confirmed the decision on condition of anonymity.

SOFT TARGETS

Military spokesman Gen. Asim Bajwa said intelligence agencies, the army and Rangers had already launched several raids around Punjab following the attack, arresting an unspecified number of suspects and recovering arms caches.

Prime Minister Sharif toured hospitals full of victims, promising to bring justice.

"Our resolve as a nation and as a government is getting stronger and (the) coward enemy is trying for soft targets," Sharif said, according to a statement from his office.

Jamaat-ur-Ahrar claimed responsibility for the attack late on Sunday night and issued a direct challenge to the government.

"The target was Christians," a faction spokesman, Ehsanullah Ehsan, said. "We want to send this message to Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif that we have entered Lahore."

Rescue services spokeswoman Deeba Shahnaz said at least 29 children, seven women and 34 men were killed and about 340 were wounded, with 25 in serious condition.

Jamaat-ur-Ahrar has claimed responsibility for several big attacks since it split from the main Pakistani Taliban in 2014.

While it mostly focuses attacks in its base of the northwestern Mohmand tribal area, it has previously carried out at least two major attacks in Lahore: one in 2015 that targeted two Christian churches and another at the Wagah border between India and Pakistan in late 2014.

Pakistan has been plagued by militant violence since it joined a U.S.-led campaign against Islamist militancy after the Sept. 11, 2001, al Qaeda attacks on the United States.

While the army, police, government and Western interests have been the prime targets of the Pakistani Taliban and their allies, Christians and other religious minorities have also been attacked.

Security forces have killed and arrested hundreds of suspected militants under an earlier crackdown launched after the 2014 Peshawar school massacre. Militant violence eased, but groups retain the ability to launch devastating attacks.

Most militants, like the Pakistani Taliban, are fighting to topple the government and introduce a strict interpretation of Islamic law.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-03-28 10:36:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Georgia Governor to veto discrimination bill

Well that didn't take long, I guess having no positives and a mountain of negatives made it easy for him.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 10:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Georgia Governor to veto discrimination bill

Well that didn't take long, I guess having no positives and a mountain of negatives made it easy for him.
Could be because it's a stupid bill to begin with.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-03-28 12:53:03
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

From the Trump thread, because fiscal policy has no place there.
Bloodrose said: »
And being conservative in your fiscal matters means knowing what to spend your money on. Even if it sometimes goes over budget. (which is why there should be a separate contingency budget that goes outside your usual budget)

With your $100 a week analogy. Some times you won't spend all 100 a week, sometimes you'll only spend 70 dollars. Any excess from that week should go into your contingency budget - This is something I was taught in my math class when we studied household budgets and banking. Again, this line of thinking is mostly for household budgeting, and doesn't really reflect on municipal, state, or federal budgeting, though I suppose in simplest theory they kind of do.

So, I suppose I should ask, for your analogy, is your 100 dollars a week budget only for luxuries, or does it include necessities? (Another thing I was taught was to separate the two, as necessities were considered money already spent from any income you had, and what was left over was the actual budget)
This is government we are talking about. Agencies make it a policy to spend all of their money before the end of the fiscal period so they can get a budget increase, even if they don't need it. This is how the government acts. It doesn't matter what level of agency this is, this is true for all of them.

For your contingency budget, it requires actual fiscal policies to be put in place to make said funds, and what they are for. Texas got away with it because the year they enacted it, there was a super-supermajority of Republicans in both houses. Seriously, we had 90+% Republicans in both houses, along with GWB as our governor. Republicans could do no wrong those years.

As for my analogy, the $100 is the budget for the "week" (replace it with year and the actual budget if you must). This covers all expenses directly associated with the agency. This does not include (for federal purposes) expenses that another agency acquires, such as labor costs (Department of the Interior), electric/utility/building maintenance costs (Department of the Interior), payroll costs (Department of the Treasury), etc.

I hope that helps a little.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 14:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

It helps a lot.

But in that post, spending all of their money before the end of the fiscal period is counter-productive to anything that may be considered fiscally conservative. I say this, because you've pointed out in the past (and in recent years, a certain Albertan politician) that they will spend it on anything, just to deplete their fiscal reserves, even when they don't need to. Such as an overstock of office supplies, catered events, and so forth, that have no purpose being funded. Which also depletes any federal budget savings, just to give these agencies a higher fiscal budget, which ultimately leads to the same, or "close enough" to the same poor results every year.

Which is why I questioned if Pau Ryan was really as fiscally conservative as he makes himself out to be.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 14:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

But in that post, spending all of their money before the end of the fiscal period is counter-productive to anything that may be considered fiscally conservative.
That's why I said Paul Ryan is the only "fiscally conservative" politician I know of. Department heads are never fiscally conservative, even if they claim to be. It goes against their nature.

Which also depletes any federal budget savings, just to give these agencies a higher fiscal budget, which ultimately leads to the same, or "close enough" to the same poor results every year.
Which is also why you will never see a "rainy day fund" on the federal's books.

Which is why I questioned if Pau Ryan was really as fiscally conservative as he makes himself out to be.
His budgets seem to point that direction.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 15:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So, until his budgets are actually put into practice, and the department heads actually heed and use them, he's probably the only "fiscally conservative" politician you can think of, at least on paper and in theory.

Now, the trick that would stun the masses, is making sure there is as little wasteful spending as possible from these department heads. Which, in part, should be covered by Ryan's proposed budget plans, correct?

I guess it's more of a matter of "is the money currently being allocated to these agencies being spent wisely", and to a fiscally responsible person, the answer would be "no". Unfortunately, I really doubt there is any room in the budget as it is, to investigate these issues. Which will lead to more of the same that I pointed out in the trump talk thread.

And I guess we're back at square 1.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 15:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

So, until his budgets are actually put into practice, and the department heads actually heed and use them, he's probably the only "fiscally conservative" politician you can think of, at least on paper and in theory.
Budgets have to be approved by the President also. Until we have a President who doesn't treat budgets like toilet paper, his budgets will always be considered "in theory."

Now, the trick that would stun the masses, is making sure there is as little wasteful spending as possible from these department heads. Which, in part, should be covered by Ryan's proposed budget plans, correct?
They are, at least partially. In his last budget, he called for the GAO to issue accountability reports on the usage of the budget. That, of course, did not go through.

I guess it's more of a matter of "is the money currently being allocated to these agencies being spent wisely", and to a fiscally responsible person, the answer would be "no". Unfortunately, I really doubt there is any room in the budget as it is, to investigate these issues. Which will lead to more of the same that I pointed out in the trump talk thread.

Which requires a Congress and President to actually work together in this case. Which we don't have, and haven't had since this whole overspending issue first started.
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-03-28 15:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
This is government we are talking about. Agencies make it a policy to spend all of their money before the end of the fiscal period so they can get a budget increase, even if they don't need it.

It feels like removing that policy might solve a lot of problems. The natural reaction is to, say, offer incentives for not using all the budget, but that will probably lead to corner cutting in some unfortunate ways.

Making large organizations spend money properly is one of the great challenges of leadership, and basically no one has proven capable of doing it on the scale of the US Government.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 15:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
It feels like removing that policy might solve a lot of problems. The natural reaction is to, say, offer incentives for not using all the budget, but that will probably lead to corner cutting in some unfortunate ways.
It's almost been tried, once.

Reagan's days, back in 1986 when they last redid the entire tax code, had a provision in it where budgets were not determined by spending habits of the department. Also determined bonuses of the department heads and all management staff. It was nixed before the final bill, however.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 15:15:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Budgets have to be approved by the President also. Until we have a President who doesn't treat budgets like toilet paper, his budgets will always be considered "in theory."

They are, at least partially. In his last budget, he called for the GAO to issue accountability reports on the usage of the budget. That, of course, did not go through.

Which requires a Congress and President to actually work together in this case. Which we don't have, and haven't had since this whole overspending issue first started.
Sounds like the first point may never happen, given the way US elections have been going for the past 20-30 years.

There are no accountability reports here either, aside from investigations of embezzlement.

I would say there needs to be a candidate that is truly for the people, but they wouldn't get the necessary coverage, or votes to be sworn in as President, and even then, congress may still not approve of working with them, because whoever's in office may not kotow to their will and whimsy. Regardless of affiliation politically, each congressperson has their own agenda and objective, or a collective objective that may, or may not coincide with the will of the people. (This has been true for decades though, didn't matter who the president was at the time)

Anyways, overspending has been a thing since what, the end of WWII? (I may be wrong, correct me if I am)
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-03-28 15:18:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyways, overspending has been a thing since what, the end of WWII? (I may be wrong, correct me if I am)
Since 1789 (First budget and appropriations). Presidents are required by law to issue a budget since 1929.
By Bloodrose 2016-03-28 15:25:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so since it's been made law to pass it since 1929, we'll use that as the legal starting point of over spending.

Anyways, it sounds like there are possibly solutions from Paul Ryan's budget plans. The problem is, even with potential solutions, no one wants to hear them, much less discuss them or use them, which means you're stuck back at square one, since calling for investigations into responsible spending seems to be political suicide, among asking for defense budget overhauls, and other budgetary overhauls.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1374 1375 1376 1377