Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 535 536 537 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 16:19:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bloodrose said: »
I would prefer the basement. It's honestly much, much cooler than the main or second floors when it's hot out.
You also don't live in an area where the ground is made out of clay.
By Bloodrose 2015-05-04 16:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I would too, but my apartment doesn't have AC. And I'm on the second floor.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-04 16:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
That's because it's already hot upstairs, why in the hell do we want to go to a room that's even hotter?

just when I think you can't say anything more stupid, you pull a stunt like this.

heat rises dummy.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-05-04 16:21:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I would prefer the basement. It's honestly much, much cooler than the main or second floors when it's hot out.
You also don't live in an area where the ground is made out of clay.
Fair point. I live in a civilized society, we still used dirt.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 16:22:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, Canadians need A/Cs?

Isn't it, like, 50 degrees F or below 11 months and 27 days in the year?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-04 16:24:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
That's because it's already hot upstairs, why in the hell do we want to go to a room that's even hotter?

just when I think you can't say anything more stupid, you pull a stunt like this.

heat rises dummy.
Obviously you never been in a clay house. And since a good portion of the ground here is clay...(at least in my area, I never studied the geographical areas of all of Texas).
By volkom 2015-05-04 16:25:50
Link | Quote | Reply

heat rises dummy.
Obviously you never been in a clay house. And since a good portion of the ground here is clay...(at least in my area, I never studied the geographical areas of all of Texas).

limestone and caves where I live. can't go underground without a good survey crew
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-04 16:25:56
Link | Quote | Reply

clay changes the laws of physics? holy ***maybe I do need to go down to texas.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-05-04 16:30:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Limestone bedrock for half the state and a high water table for the rest of the state.

It expands depending on season.
[+]
By Bloodrose 2015-05-04 16:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, Canadians need A/Cs?

Isn't it, like, 50 degrees F or below 11 months and 27 days in the year?
yeah, nuts to you.

Seriously, we can get Arizona level temps up here that make it around 110F. (Because you scrubs can't be civilized and treat living in the world like an oven.)

But we're also a humid climate, rather than* arid and dry, which makes things worse.
By volkom 2015-05-04 16:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Limestone bedrock for half the state and a high water table for the rest of the state.

and if you live in the panhandle, all your drinking water is full of gritty sand and stuff
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-04 17:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
"Personal responsibility" does not mean never shaking someone's hand for fear of exposing them to yourself.

Personal responsibility is not about not doing something. It's everything about accepting the responsibility for what you do.

Now, we are supposed to encourage people to act in a generally responsible manner, because that makes life as a society/civilization tenable. Things such as not shitting or tossing garbage in the freshwater supply, covering orifices to reduce spray when sneezing, using proper equipment when entering isolation wards.
"Personal responsibility" is the latest iteration of "do the right thing".
No, it really isn't. "Do the right thing" means "don't do the wrong thing, because reasons".
"Personal responsibility" means "You are responsible for your actions", or in longer terms:
"Your actions will usually have consequences (positive and/or negative) towards others. Learn to accept that, and try to make decisions you can live with".
You do something good? Great. You do something shitty? Horrible. Either way, who did it? You did.

Responsibility is responsibility.
Water is water too.
I understand that I am responsible for exposing people to my germs, but I'm doing that when I'm not feeling sick also.
If you don't have the capacity to understand the difference in impact between having the potential for being an asymptomatic carrier for a disease, versus being a symptomatic carrier, then this explains a lot. Particularly as the potential impacts towards other people have a lot to do with what your interactions are, and what the disease is.

So I will fly home from my vacation, and I will head into work so I can get my stuff done. Take your cold ease, get your flu shot, and keep your immune system in the best shape you can, that's your responsibility.

And again, you confuse personal responsibility with responsibility for your person.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-04 19:43:12
Link | Quote | Reply

http://carlyfiorina.org/
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-04 20:43:03
Link | Quote | Reply

"Personal responsibility" does not mean never shaking someone's hand for fear of exposing them to yourself.

Personal responsibility is not about not doing something. It's everything about accepting the responsibility for what you do.

Now, we are supposed to encourage people to act in a generally responsible manner, because that makes life as a society/civilization tenable. Things such as not shitting or tossing garbage in the freshwater supply, covering orifices to reduce spray when sneezing, using proper equipment when entering isolation wards.
"Personal responsibility" is the latest iteration of "do the right thing".
No, it really isn't. "Do the right thing" means "don't do the wrong thing, because reasons".
"Personal responsibility" means "You are responsible for your actions", or in longer terms:
"Your actions will usually have consequences (positive and/or negative) towards others. Learn to accept that, and try to make decisions you can live with".
You do something good? Great. You do something shitty? Horrible. Either way, who did it? You did.

Responsibility is responsibility.
Water is water too.
I understand that I am responsible for exposing people to my germs, but I'm doing that when I'm not feeling sick also.
If you don't have the capacity to understand the difference in impact between having the potential for being an asymptomatic carrier for a disease, versus being a symptomatic carrier, then this explains a lot. Particularly as the potential impacts towards other people have a lot to do with what your interactions are, and what the disease is.

So I will fly home from my vacation, and I will head into work so I can get my stuff done. Take your cold ease, get your flu shot, and keep your immune system in the best shape you can, that's your responsibility.

And again, you confuse personal responsibility with responsibility for your person.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-05 02:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

I know there are basements in GA which also has a high concentration of clay. But it seems many build basements (or houses) without doing any (or sufficient) waterproofing and drainage, so meh. >.>

WATERPROOFING IN EXPANSIVE CLAY SOILS
Quote:
Atlanta is known for its red clay, and Mike Trotter, owner of Atlanta-based Trotter Co., has seen more than his share of clay-generated waterproofing problems in his 40 years in the business. His solutions usually involve stripping the basement down to the bare concrete walls and floor.

“We started this maybe 15 years ago,” Trotter said. “Before that, we would just cut the floor out and put the system in, and leave the walls finished. As far as keeping the basement from flooding, that worked fine. But it often left mold growing up inside those walls.”

Before refinishing, Trotter insists on installing a vapor barrier on exterior walls, and often installs an under-floor drainage system as well. It’s pricey, but he insists that anything less is a disservice to the customer.

The conclusion? Waterproofing systems in expansive clay soil require careful engineering and installation. Compaction, drainage, and landscaping all play a role in keeping the backfill at a constant moisture level. And that consistent moisture level is key to preventing a host of problems.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 07:12:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The Islamic State group claimed responsibility on Tuesday for a weekend attack at a center near Dallas, Texas, that was exhibiting cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad — though it offered no evidence of a direct link to the attackers.

An audio statement on the extremist group's Al Bayan radio station said that "two soldiers of the caliphate" carried out Sunday's attack and promised the group would deliver more attacks in the future.

The Islamic State did not provide details and it was unclear whether the group was opportunistically claiming the attack as its own. It was the first time the IS, which frequently calls for attacks against the West, had claimed responsibility for one in the United States.

Two suspects in Sunday's attack in the Dallas suburb of Garland were shot dead after opening fire at a security guard outside the center.

It was also unclear from the statement whether the group, which has captured large swaths of territory in Syria and Iraq, had an actual hand in the operation, or whether the two suspects had pledged allegiance to the group and then carried out the attack on their own.
IS claims responsibility for Texas cartoon attack
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-05-05 07:32:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously, WTF did anyone expect was going to come of hosting an event like that?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 07:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
Seriously, WTF did anyone expect was going to come of hosting an event like that?

As stupid as I think it was, and as much as I freaking hate siding with an inflammatory *** like that, she's got the right to hold an event like that. It's imperative that unpopular speech be free, otherwise no speech really is.

I think it's unfortunate people desire such idiotic speech to be heard (this woman is a well-known Mulsim hater), but that's really a seperate issue.

Then again, with the FCC/MPAA/etc.'s censorship hogwash, free speech was already largely in question anyhow. But at least they're not shooting anyone for accidentally showing a nipple at the Super Bowl.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 07:55:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Preaching hate of Muslims must be allowed, otherwise no speech is really free?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 08:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

So in a 'free' society hate speech is ok, along with hate speech on the hate speech? Why must hate be a facet for people to be 'free' ?

What about the consequences of hate speech then?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 08:08:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
So in a 'free' society hate speech is ok, along with hate speech on the hate speech?

Well, according to your average Fox News viewer, hating on hate speech makes you an oppressive anti-Christian communist.

According to some around here, hating bigotry and hate just makes you a bigot...(still laughable).

Why must hate be a facet for people to be 'free' ?

It's not, but as I said, that's a seperate issue. Changing societal views to be less hateful and more open has to be done slowly, as a process, allowing for the free discourse of ideas.

If it's not it's just going to lead to resentment and more hate.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 08:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
That's why I always question the tactic of hating the haters. It's like fight fire with fire with no controlled burn.
By fonewear 2015-05-05 08:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hate speech is definitely defended just look at the website Jezebel...
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-05-05 08:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I always question the tactic of hating the haters. It's like fight fire with fire with no controlled burn.

Or in this case, poking a bear with a really short stick.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 08:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

In a world gone crazy everyone loves to hate and hates to love.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 08:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe in hate speech cause without hate speech you would have boring speech...
By fonewear 2015-05-05 08:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The beauty about hating someone is you don't need a reason therefore women excel at it !
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 08:20:18
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
The beauty about hating someone is you don't need a reason therefore women excel at it !
Bingo!
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 08:20:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, well. I never said I was the person for the job.

Also, while it may just be semantics, I think it's very important to point out that frequently it's not "hating" the people themselves, it's frustration as to how people can hold such backward mindsets.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 08:21:06
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Bingo!

Thank you for demonstrating the kind of backward nonsense to which I was referring.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 535 536 537 ... 1375 1376 1377