First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-16 18:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
The early leveling experience in an MMO is dull and uneventful. Who knew?!

Even now 11 wasnt boring to level a new job to 30 so your arguement is invalid
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-16 18:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zohnax said: »
I would like to emphasize the point of "Beta Testing." While a lot of core mechanics will likely not change at this point, that doesn't mean they won't work to tweak them. If I recall correctly, Phase 4 will be considered the "Demo" of the full release. With that said, you're more so there to test the waters and make sure everything is okay right now, rather than trying to fully enjoy the game just yet.

Because an MMO isn't always in a perpetual state of "BETA".
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2013-06-16 18:03:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from 14
 Bismarck.Xzeikx
user: xzeikx
By Bismarck.Xzeikx 2013-06-16 18:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive found plenty of glitches as ARC lol like my character acting like my bow is out when its not multiple times
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2013-06-16 18:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

So report it
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
Server: Ragnarok
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-16 18:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »

I highly beg to differ. While dunes/Qufim parties were a... slightly entertaining grind, now-a-days, it's beat on skeletons in standing in the same spot for hours and hours and hours. Incorporating questing and hunting journals into my beginning levels is a smart idea to get me feeling more comfortable with my job before hoping into a dungeon party.
 Asura.Silverware
Server: Asura
By Asura.Silverware 2013-06-16 18:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It has many features that are expected in an MMO these days. But the fact that FF11 and FF14 1.0 didn't have them has a lot of the "in" crowd excited. Some non-MMO people are excited because its a more accessible MMO (compared to 11) but still based in the Final Fantasy universe and style. Some are excited to see what FF14 1.0 should have been finally come to fruition. And my friend is enjoying the game as well so that could make a big difference for me. Having a social connection to people in the game is the only thing that has kept me hooked to an MMO, whether its good or not. The only reason I played 11 for more then a week or two was because I became friends with a group of people and we played day in and day out. Now, years later, those people have left or whatever which means I don't really play 11 anymore even though I love it.

I played enough of 14 1.0 to get two classes to 50 but didn't do much more then that. I can't remember if I even finished the main story. It was more about laying the foundation of my character for whenever the new rebuilt game would be released.

It's just awesome seeing the game expand. The ARR Alpha had just about the same level of polish even back in November. Servers ran great and the Gridania area looked amazing. Now it's great to see all the new areas and features being added giving you a better sense of the game as a whole.

I did have a few complaints though (I'm playing on PC btw):

• You can't customize the controller buttons just yet. I think I read that this will be added later but for now they want people to specifically give opinions on the default button layout. I want a Map and Inventory button on the controller for example.

• The game forces you to drop party when doing the solo instanced quest parts. This was a bit of an annoyance. It should just suck the one person into the fight.

• I would like to be able to see people on my friends list or linkshell members displayed on the Map screen. Make it a toggle option and have different colors for friends vs linkshell vs party members.

• I'd like to be able to change the mini-map size. This feature may already be coming since it was discussed during the Alpha. Too small for me IMO. Played it on my PC monitor (24" I think? cant remember) and tried it on my 47" TV.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the what Yoshi-P and his team have been able to do with ARR. The music is great, the environments are gorgeous, the interface works well, and the new Gear Set and Armoury Chest system is exactly the kind of thing 11 needs. I am angry at myself for not taking a bunch of beautiful screenshots to share. Some of the high level La Noscea areas I was able to run through were stunning.

Now I can't decide which city to start in. The city of Ul'dah itself has an awesome bustling city feel to it and the areas around Thanalan have a great look and long view distances. I don't like the city of Limsa as much but the higher level (lvl 20 or 40+) are like jaw dropping jungle/forest/coastal rock structures and stuff.. I can't explain it. Why didn't I take pictures!?

Feels good to write this out though. Beta forum has a stupid 750 character limit on it now.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-16 18:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
I would like to emphasize the point of "Beta Testing." While a lot of core mechanics will likely not change at this point, that doesn't mean they won't work to tweak them. If I recall correctly, Phase 4 will be considered the "Demo" of the full release. With that said, you're more so there to test the waters and make sure everything is okay right now, rather than trying to fully enjoy the game just yet.

By that logic, servers should already be up then, yeah?
By Enuyasha 2013-06-16 18:19:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
The hype is that it only "cloned" the best parts of games for the current generation of gamers. the EXP reward system for completing quests allows the use of establishment stories for quests. In FFXI, as previously stated, there was at best, mediocre rewards, with 0 experience, and little to no currency generation required to purchase or craft-level for newer equipment.

Add into the experience generation from the Hunting Log after level 5 for your job guild, such as the lancer's guild, as each completed hunt registry offers an experience reward, as well as the experience earned from defeating those monsters. Many of these hunt registries can also be done in conjunction with other quests at the same time as well, making it much easier to level.

The other thing is, quite a few people are comparing FFXI and FFXIV and the mechanics between them, when they are meant to be different.
Just to add on to your point about "doing hunting logs during quests" You can fulfill hunt targets in F.A.T.Es...which is nice because sometimes F.A.T.E targets are half the level of the actual targets which can kill you pretty quickly :<

if the mob is 3+ levels higher than you it wouldnt even be worth it to try to kill on certain classes :(
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2013-06-16 18:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

My point was, people will provide feedback without you trying to police them.
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-16 18:30:37
Link | Quote | Reply

My point was, people will provide feedback without you trying to police them.
"Police." That's amusing. Enlighten is more like. There's a lot of people who play the Beta like it's the final product, is the point.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2013-06-16 18:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I think my main complaint so far is that the frame rate on the PS3 version leaves something to be desired. I really wish they could do something to make the animations smoother.
[+]
By Kimble2013 2013-06-16 22:36:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I never had a blue screen on my computer till yesterday playing XIV. I wonder if thats a bug? lol
 Bahamut.Feisei
Server: Bahamut
user: feifei
By Bahamut.Feisei 2013-06-17 02:17:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Withdrawls...
 Leviathan.Zizou
Server: Leviathan
user: toufie
By Leviathan.Zizou 2013-06-17 03:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xzeikx said: »

Really hope you are just trolling. XI's current leveling system is extremely boring.
By Luvbunny1 2013-06-17 05:58:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Played this over the weekend. OMG what a fantastic job the team did in resurrecting a dead wretched piece of turd that was FF14 version 1. The graphic is beyond fantastic, and I used a very low setting on macbook air. The pace is ultra fast, a joy to play, barely any downtime, teleport anywhere you have visited, flee ability every 30 second or so, and you always running everywhere, FAST, NOW, FUN. The contents so far are very well designed, quests everywhere, you need no wiki to get to point A to point B, everything is spelled out for you, no more wandering around aimlessly. Every class is useful...no more weakling white mage. It is extremely casual friendly, and for people who have 2 hours or less, you can accomplish A LOT in the game. From the news there will be hardcore tough as nails content coming down the road. This is the FINAL Fantasy that most of you have been wishing for, the producers clearly listened and did their best to make sure this will be a successful relaunch and it showed. I am now in withdrawal already hah hah hah, the game has perfect balance for casual vs hardcore. Crafting and gathering is quite fun - no more stupid mini game - you get your own resources so you do not have to fight with others for gathering stuffs. Tried the levee quest and it works flawlessly, very intuitive and fast pace. FATE system is a joy to find and joined. They took the best of WoW, Rift, Guild Wars 2 and toss the FF lore and story with their added twist. Cannot wait for August to come sooner!!
[+]
 Cerberus.Diabolique
Server: Cerberus
user: Uchitoru
By Cerberus.Diabolique 2013-06-17 06:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Luvbunny1 said: »
Crafting and gathering is quite fun - no more stupid game.
How are DoL and DoH more fun now, without the mini games? There's even less to do with these classes now. This is one thing that should have just been left alone. Not even a certain amount of "skill" to these jobs now.

1.0 had some issues, but dead wretched turd? That feels like a bit much.
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-17 06:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Kimble2013 said: »
I never had a blue screen on my computer till yesterday playing XIV. I wonder if thats a bug? lol
I'd be curious to the specs you're running with and making sure you're up to date with drivers.
 Cerberus.Rairom
Server: Cerberus
user: Rairom
By Cerberus.Rairom 2013-06-17 07:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So whats the general consensus after seeing the beta folks?
A glorious masterpiece destined for video game godhood? Or another failure doomed to ruin SE once and for all? I'm most curious.
By Quiznor 2013-06-17 07:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »
I think my main complaint so far is that the frame rate on the PS3 version leaves something to be desired. I really wish they could do something to make the animations smoother.

You can,play on pc.

Ps3 tech is ancient and below the minimum spec of the pc version. I know console hardware isnt directly the same as the pc version of said hardware,but to even get the game running as well as it does on ps3 (look at the 2 ps3 videoes from recent) and you should be happy.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-06-17 09:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Rairom said: »
A glorious masterpiece destined for video game godhood? Or another failure doomed to ruin SE once and for all? I'm most curious.
general consensus is a glorious masterpiece destined for video game godhood

personally, i think the battle system is garbage and it doesn't leave 1/10 the flexibility xi did, but there's no denying the graphics are gorgeous and it has a lot of potential

if you want a game that looks beautiful, and has a lot of the same ***you loved from xi, and doesn't make you think, you'll be in heaven
 Sylph.Linkk
Server: Sylph
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2013-06-17 09:22:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Cerberus.Rairom said: »
general consensus is a glorious masterpiece destined for video game godhood

personally, i think the battle system is garbage and it doesn't leave 1/10 the flexibility xi did, but there's no denying the graphics are gorgeous and it has a lot of potential

if you want a game that looks beautiful, and has a lot of the same ***you loved from xi, and doesn't make you think, you'll be in heaven
What game makes you think now a days? lol
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-06-17 10:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

i'm not going to make an argument that mmos are brain-busters, but ffxi(and the ff series in general) has always had a ton of job/character flexibility-14's battle system doesn't seem to lend favorably to out-of-the-box strategies like we saw everywhere in old-school ffxi
 Bahamut.Liuu
user: Liuu
By Bahamut.Liuu 2013-06-17 10:51:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I really enjoyed the beta and had withdrawal symptoms when it ended xD

Still, part of me is hesitant to shower it with praise because it plays like so many other WoW-esque MMOs on the market today, this time with a Final Fantasy skin. Most of my time was spent questing but I did do a few guildheist thingies on a pick up group and enjoyed them. I just hope the game offers enough outside of questing in the long run, because that's what will ultimately keep me playing.

Kimble2013 said: »
Possibly over heating? It turned my PC into a radiator. I've never seen my temps go that high before. It played flawlessly but yeah, it got toasty after an hour or two of questing.
 Fenrir.Rekial
Server: Fenrir
user: Rekial
By Fenrir.Rekial 2013-06-17 11:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Still haven't gotten a beta email ; ;
 Bahamut.Lordzetta
user: Zetta
By Bahamut.Lordzetta 2013-06-17 11:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Liuu said: »
I really enjoyed the beta and had withdrawal symptoms when it ended xD

Still, part of me is hesitant to shower it with praise because it plays like so many other WoW-esque MMOs on the market today, this time with a Final Fantasy skin. Most of my time was spent questing but I did do a few guildheist thingies on a pick up group and enjoyed them. I just hope the game offers enough outside of questing in the long run, because that's what will ultimately keep me playing.

I hope that this game is more than just questing as well. This was one of the major reasons I played 11 for so long, pre-abyssea that is.
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2013-06-17 11:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
i'm not going to make an argument that mmos are brain-busters, but ffxi(and the ff series in general) has always had a ton of job/character flexibility-14's battle system doesn't seem to lend favorably to out-of-the-box strategies like we saw everywhere in old-school ffxi
The beginning of it is there. In the first three dungeons alone, the strategies and gimmicks are there.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2013-06-17 11:05:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

You can,play on pc.

Ps3 tech is ancient and below the minimum spec of the pc version. I know console hardware isnt directly the same as the pc version of said hardware,but to even get the game running as well as it does on ps3 (look at the 2 ps3 videoes from recent) and you should be happy.

Yeah, I'll just run out and buy a PC when I can barely afford food right now. Noticed how I specified "PS3 version." It's kind of a no-shitter that it'll run better on a good PC.

I'm getting really sick of the suggested solution to any computer related problem being "Just go spend a lot of money, plebian."
By Fyyvoaa 2013-06-17 11:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quiznor said: »

You can,play on pc.

Yeah, I'll just run out and buy a PC when I can barely afford food right now.

beggers can't be choosers, you either deal with what you get, or don't... hate to be so harsh ... but it's true... they might optimize it more (since this WAS the first PS3 test ... lol) but as to how far they can or will... don't really know until it's either our or another test.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2013-06-17 11:11:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Beta is for feedback. This is my feedback.

Second of all, it is completely disgusting to be classified as a "begger" when I'm testing a new product for them that I might have some intention of purchasing in the future. This isn't like, say, a FFXI plugin where I'm just happy someone out there programmed something to make my life a little easier, regardless of whether or not it works exactly the way I'd like it to. It's perfectly fine to complain about some aspect of what they intend to sell (and overall, I think I do like the game- I just find the choppiness to be distracting to its overall beauty.)
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 21 22 23