What Should Replace "Most Viewed"?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What should replace "Most Viewed"?
What should replace "Most Viewed"?
First Page 2 3 4
Administrator
By Rooks 2021-12-31 14:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi.

I get more complaints about the Most Viewed section on the homepage than anything that's not P+R or its closure. It seems to be used pretty much purely for harassment. My questions to you are:

1) What should replace it?
2) If you think it should stay, why?

Thanks!
--Rooks
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 14:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not only used for harassment of innocent parties. Sometimes some dipshit gilbuyer goes on a ridiculous spree and gets noticed. Or someone trying to game the market. It allows the community to become aware of them and ignore/treat them like the trash they are.
By Draylo 2021-12-31 14:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I never knew it was a problem, I don't see why anyone would get mad just that their name is there.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 14:27:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I never knew it was a problem, I don't see why anyone would get mad just that their name is there.

Because people notice the dumb ***they do.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2021-12-31 14:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »

It's not their name - people make characters referencing other people, like Draylohatesbluemage and such, and spams them so they show up.

Like, that kind of thing doesn't bug me, because none of you could hate me as much as *I* hate me, but I don't really like having a feature whose main use seems to be going after people in a way that can't easily be traced
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2021-12-31 14:30:30
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dajjal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Dajjal 2021-12-31 14:32:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Foxmulder said: »
It's not only used for harassment of innocent parties. Sometimes some dipshit gilbuyer goes on a ridiculous spree and gets noticed. It allows the community to become aware of them and ignore/treat them like the trash they are.

This highlights exactly why we need to get rid of the Most Viewed section. Thank you for giving us so poignant an example.

Maybe replace it with a comparison how prices vary across servers, like purchasing power parity over time.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Siggymund
Premium
Server: Bismarck
user: Sigmund
By Bismarck.Siggymund 2021-12-31 14:33:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Just remove it like youtube and every other platform in the digital world. Rearrange the page to have an FFxi youtube live stream window in its place. That way you don't have to deal with whiny ppl about ppl looking at their characters on a publicly viewable page. /sigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWlV8EANAgY

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-31 14:38:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this for serious, it's way too early for april fools.

Oh ok, I see some dipshittery in the overall most viewed, really.

Children gonna children, can't have nice things, etc etc yada yada

It serves no purpose, the less things *** can interact with the better. Not just here, in general, as a life rule.
By Jetackuu 2021-12-31 14:41:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
because none of you could hate me as much as *I* hate me
now hol' up
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 14:43:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dajjal said: »
This highlights exactly why we need to get rid of the Most Viewed section. Thank you for giving us so poignant an example.
Yes, of course someone is championing gilbuyer's rights on FFXIAH.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-12-31 14:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Move the recent forum posts thing up there, make it longer, and make the shouts window bigger

Idk man the most important front page widgets to me are the rss feed and forum posts section to see what people are currently reeing about.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-12-31 14:45:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dajjal said: »
It's not only used for harassment of innocent parties. Sometimes some dipshit gilbuyer goes on a ridiculous spree and gets noticed. It allows the community to become aware of them and ignore/treat them like the trash they are.

Maybe replace it with a comparison how prices vary across servers, like purchasing power parity over time.
Really? You think that's a good reason to get rid of it? Personally I don't see the problem, and question more who pays attention to it.

Wipe it, have a preview of the rules in an image that just gets bigger as you go over it. Or a list of "wanted" items for that server, since that feature is back. (Granted I imagine somebody could potentially abuse this, but /shrug).

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2021-12-31 14:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I gave a bad suggestion so I'll give a good one too. This would require players to be actively using the Guildwork plugin with their character being linked to FFXIAH so there's no chance of including players who don't go out of their way to be listed. It could also tie-in with one of the existing character options like "Hide Equipment", or if you wanted to add a new one, "Hide New Ultimate Weapons". It allows for recognition of those who want their recent accomplishments to be publicized and it gives people who aren't currently subscribed or don't login much a chance to see and congratulate others who they've played with previously.

[+]
By Draylo 2021-12-31 14:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I see now, I wouldn't care personally if someone made a name to try and bother me, I'd just laugh. That's me though.

Personally think the shout section is quite useless, nothing but RMT shouts or empty space. Maybe if there was a way to show active streamers on twitch or something for the game? Not sure if that is possible for a widget to look up active streams or recent streams. Or perhaps peoples XI content on Youtube.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-12-31 14:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Move the recent forum posts thing up there, make it longer,
I'd like this.

Or even a list of your last forum posts so you can go check back to them faster, rather than having to wade through a list of other recent thread bumps.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dajjal
By Bahamut.Dajjal 2021-12-31 14:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, of course someone is championing gilbuyer's rights on FFXIAH.

You advocated treating people like trash when they are accused of being gilbuyers. Targeted harassment campaigns are why this thread exists.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 14:48:27
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're really considering removing a useful community tool like this for some crybabies, please don't add more tools for RMTs (soft or hard) like cross-server price checking, etc. Actually service the real players on this community.

Quote:
Moving forum posts to that location
Less horizontal space to read thread titles would be less desirable, imo.

Quote:
What about just putting links to the different job guide threads on here?
Most of the job guides are abandoned and the megathreads they've become are terrible to navigate and use.

Quote:
Recent Ultimate Weapons or anything involving Guildwork
Hard pass.

Quote:
You advocated treating people like trash when they are accused of being gilbuyers.
Yes. Shady *** people should have doubt casted upon them when they do suspicious stuff. Someone gaming the market or someone who's no doubt buying gil left and right are negatively effecting the game.
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2021-12-31 14:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're really considering removing a useful community tool like this for some crybabies, please don't add more tools for RMTs (soft or hard) like cross-server price checking, etc. Actually service the real players on this community.

Quote:
Moving forum posts to that location
Less horizontal space to read thread titles would be less desirable, imo.

Quote:
What about just putting links to the different job guide threads on here?
Most of the job guides are abandoned and the megathreads they've become are terrible to navigate and use.

Quote:
Recent Ultimate Weapons or anything involving Guildwork
Hard pass.
Ah, nevermind then, I don't want this to be implemented without your support. Maybe a "Recent Gil Buyers" list?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 14:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

The only worthy replacement I can think of is estimated Fastest Selling Items, rolling 24h like the Most Viewed.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2021-12-31 14:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's a low-effort modification mocked in HTML. Showing more photos is neat.

Secondarily, creating a widget that helps community members find linkshells and groups that are recruiting based on server selection could provide good value.

I can volunteer some time to help with feature development if necessary.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2021-12-31 14:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
Secondarily, creating a widget that helps community members find linkshells and groups that are recruiting based on server selection could provide good value.
A recruiting Linkshells list could be really valuable for new or returning players as long as there were a way to ensure that it was kept up to date.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4