What Should Replace "Most Viewed"?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What should replace "Most Viewed"?
What should replace "Most Viewed"?
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-12-31 14:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dajjal said: »
Odin.Foxmulder said: »
Yes, of course someone is championing gilbuyer's rights on FFXIAH.

You advocated treating people like trash when they are accused of being gilbuyers. Targeted harassment campaigns are why this thread exists.

I'd like a cross server price section to combat Gadfather's price fixing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Indigla
Server: Bismarck
user: Indigla
By Bismarck.Indigla 2021-12-31 15:00:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Doesn't the most viewed simply count the number of times the page was loaded? So anyone refreshing their page a bunch of times to check sales gets on there easily. Maybe just adjust that for now until you decide on what to do with the space.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 15:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Freehugs said: »
Are shouts even useful enough to have that big of a space? Whenever I glance at it, its just never ending job capacity point parties.
On top of that, Latest Screenshots are often lagging behind quite a while or half of the thumbnails get overtaken by off-topic garbage.
 Cpu
By Cpu 2021-12-31 15:01:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Are shouts even useful enough to have that big of a space? Whenever I glance at it, its just never ending job capacity point parties.
That's only on Asura. On other servers it seems to be completely broken and is full of the random garbage characters that are typically only appended to the end of Asura messages.

Ragnarok.Ghishlain
Server: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-12-31 15:09:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Move the recent forum posts thing up there, make it longer, and make the shouts window bigger

Idk man the most important front page widgets to me are the rss feed and forum posts section to see what people are currently reeing about.

Voting for this too. It feels weird when the "Random Thoughts" post disappears, lol.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 15:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Move the recent forum posts thing up there, make it longer, and make the shouts window bigger

Idk man the most important front page widgets to me are the rss feed and forum posts section to see what people are currently reeing about.

Voting for this too. It feels weird when the "Random Thoughts" post disappears, lol.

I could actually see dividing the bottom portion of the page vertically, with posts from FFXI boards on the left and other boards on the right.

Since shouts are basically useless now without them being filtered, it's probably a better use of space.
 Bahamut.Skald
user: Jimmyjazz
By Bahamut.Skald 2021-12-31 15:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Perhaps a little redundant with the feed being there but current campaigns and time remaining countdown works for me.

That or a list tracking items whose sales history price vary wildly due to manipulation, server specific and overall.
[+]
By 1thenumber 2021-12-31 15:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I know nothing of the limitations but my #1 wish for this site would be a list of items ranked by highest number of gil transacted per day. E.g. (items sold per day) x (avg. cost of item), ranked and updated daily. My #2 wish would be a similar ranked list of biggest avg price decrease and/or increase on an item over 24 hours or a week - e.g. dynamis currency prices plummeted due to an easy ambuscade month, or heavy metal plates skyrocketed because there are no stacks left on the AH.

To me, this would be really useful information to see where trends are happening in the Auction House, when might be a good time to liquidate items, or to conversely use your gil to stock up for your next REMA, etc.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: misacat
By Nadleeh Sakurai 2021-12-31 15:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

ads for FFXIV obs
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2021-12-31 15:38:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dajjal said: »
Yes, of course someone is championing gilbuyer's rights on FFXIAH.

You advocated treating people like trash when they are accused of being gilbuyers. Targeted harassment campaigns are why this thread exists.

Take it easy on foxmulder. Gilbuyers burned down his village.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2021-12-31 15:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

useful community tool
Not gonna lie, I have literally never heard Most Viewed referred to as anything other than an annoyance or superfluous.

Expanding/changing how the forum threads are linked is intriguing, and one that isn't a lot of work compared to some of the other ideas.

The various "State of the economy" ideas are all interesting, but are annoying from an architecture perspective for reasons I won't bore you with. Might be interesting enough to find a way anyway, though
[+]
By Draylo 2021-12-31 15:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Skald said: »

Perhaps a little redundant with the feed being there but current campaigns and time remaining countdown works for me.

That or a list tracking items whose sales history price vary wildly due to manipulation, server specific and overall.

Campaign timers are a good idea, I like the one on BG wiki
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-12-31 15:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
a list of "wanted" items for that server, since that feature is back. (Granted I imagine somebody could potentially abuse this, but /shrug).

I still argue for this, since well: It shouldn't be that hard to display data that is already there. Then again it as a feature to view a "wanted" page should probably exist anyway (if it does already then my b.)
 Asura.Biglovin
Server: Asura
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2021-12-31 15:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Put a random post from eyeroll(Eiryl) every .4 seconds that he responds to any forum with his negative ***. At least that way we don't have to actually click on a post to see his thoughts.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 15:57:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »
Not gonna lie, I have literally never heard Most Viewed referred to as anything other than an annoyance or superfluous.
If someone's up there midday, there's generally a reason for it.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-31 16:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It is mildly useful for pretending we care and trying to shame someone with views like it matters.

It's also mildly amusing when someone does something for attention, then gets it, and makes the top of the list like it matters.

I love making it to the top of most viewed, like morons, what the *** you think you're gonna find on my page?
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-12-31 16:10:31
Link | Quote | Reply

lord there has to come a point where if someone is bothered or offended they leave the FREE SERVICE NO ONE IS MAKING THEM USE rather than *** and make more work for those providing the (one second, clearing my throat) FREE SERVICE.

Ignore 'em.
By FaeQueenCory 2021-12-31 16:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

1) What should replace it?
Butts.

In more seriousness:
The various "State of the economy" ideas are all interesting, but are annoying from an architecture perspective for reasons I won't bore you with. Might be interesting enough to find a way anyway, though
You could expand the "most viewed item" area and include three columns of info for their prices instead of just 1:
<Highest Price> ([servername]) | <Cookied Server Price> | <Lowest Price> ([servername])

That would be minimally different for what's already getting pulled as is with the most viewed item section.
Though obviously more dynamic than what's happening now. (though could partially remedy that by having high-low only registered weekly or some such)
 Valefor.Worlace
Server: Valefor
user: Worlace
By Valefor.Worlace 2021-12-31 16:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Upvoting these two ideas:
- quick links to job specific guides
- a list of recruiting linkshells on your server

Both of those encourage forward progress in the community, which helps all of us
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-12-31 17:08:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
lord there has to come a point where if someone is bothered or offended they leave the FREE SERVICE NO ONE IS MAKING THEM USE rather than *** and make more work for those providing the (one second, clearing my throat) FREE SERVICE.

Ignore 'em.
Same can be said for people who get upset because someone said something bad to them.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-12-31 17:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

In addition to the job-specific guides, we could link to that 1-119 Quickstart guide on BGW.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-12-31 17:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Instead of having all the jobs guide from bg and the 119 guide from bg and the event timers like bg, people can just go to bg, namsayin?
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2021-12-31 17:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I don't understand adding more links to external sites, especially some that might already be linked on the sidebar and people don't realize it.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-12-31 17:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

hear me out:

least viewed players

i got nothin
[+]
By Shichishito 2021-12-31 17:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

it would be a great feature if it would filter those RMT shouts. the way it currently is one can only conclude the site is owned by those RMTs shouting. if it isn't FFXIAH should at least charge them for the premium advertisment banner.

FaeQueenCory said: »
1) What should replace it?
Butts.
i second that, if we talking female ones.

on a more serious note, how about a section listing the latest dumbshit ppl messaged a mod about?
By Rips 2021-12-31 18:00:13
Link | Quote | Reply

What causes "most viewed players" to show up exactly? Is it people going to look up their name here?
 Bahamut.Brixy
Guide Maker
user: Brixy
By Bahamut.Brixy 2021-12-31 21:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Cpu
By Cpu 2021-12-31 21:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Brixy said: »
Is this the Windows XP theme?
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-12-31 22:20:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know, but I sometimes forget this site looks like valrum dunes at noon with how bright it is. This is how I see it.

A dark view option would be nice. It's even better for battery life and carbon footprint since it takes more power to make a screen bright AF. I think many sites kind of have a feature like that. (Or just get a dark viewer plugin for your browser, I suppose.

[+]