What Should Replace "Most Viewed"?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » What should replace "Most Viewed"?
What should replace "Most Viewed"?
By Jetackuu 2021-12-31 22:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

gowai, the light is good for the back of your retina
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-01 00:15:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shitty couple minute mockup of what I would like to see that I think is extremely feasible and not asking too much of Rooks.

Screenshots aren't screenshots 75% of the time anymore, so just call it images. Upload screenshots, art, models, etc. Just the same as people are doing now. We don't see a ton of new ones these days, so a simple 8 or so is enough.

Separating the types of forum posts would go a long way for getting people who don't want to see off-topic posts to engage with the site more. Those that do, get their own column and can click to the off-topic threads. There's already an [XI] prefix for this sort of thing in the existing design, so this should be relatively easy to do with the current site setup.

As noted previously, shouts are pretty garbo. There's a link to the shouts page already on the sidebar for people who want to see if any legitimate shouts are happening. It's currently wasted loading time for the majority of visitors.

It's truly a shame Guildwork was basically abandoned years ago. I'd love to see more items being tracked for achievement points and a better leader board system, possibly restricted to active players. I think people would have gotten a kick out of such a thing.
[+]
By Lingerie 2022-01-01 01:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Most wished for and trending for items that sell extremely fast.
Should it stay? Only if ra/ex items can be removed to filter out the clutter.
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-01-01 02:07:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like these sections to be larger because I have no idea wtf I'm looking at in these tiny images, please.

Oh. Nevermind. These images are the same tiny ones from POL page.

Oh, ,and these sections have so much wasted space since names and text never really fill boxes. Maybe it's my resolution though.

Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-01 02:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
I'd like these sections to be larger because I have no idea wtf I'm looking at in these tiny images, please.

100% SE's fault for using the small images.
[+]
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2022-01-01 09:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Could replace the most viewed with in game information. Not sure if or how it could be extracted from game to site but for example:

1. In game day and time
2. Weather in zones
3. Last time Mireu popped
4. Current RoE objective
5. Besieged status

Any other ideas would be great. Since most of us are adults now and try to plan our days, this could be a useful tool if it’s possible.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2022-01-01 09:42:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Dev tracker?
By Chimerawizard 2022-01-01 09:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

also like the idea of moving latest threads there and extending the POL news down a bit.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-01-01 10:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

How about a list of currently active FFXI campaigns?
[+]
 Bismarck.Xurion
Server: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2022-01-01 14:14:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
In case anyone doesn't know, BG already cover this function on their home page near the bottom.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-01 14:44:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Xurion said: »
In case anyone doesn't know, BG already cover this function on their home page near the bottom.
It's also something that's done manually, which would present an issue here with the individuals that have access to FFXIAH not having the time to manage them.
By Mattelot 2022-01-01 14:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

1) If nobody has ever found a use for it, just remove it altogether.

2) If someone is making characters just to harass someone and it's 100% clear that's exactly what they're doing, ban them.
Asura.Neojuggernautx said: »
1. In game day and time
2. Weather in zones
3. Last time Mireu popped
4. Current RoE objective
5. Besieged status

These are also good suggestions, if possible. Live information is good.

Rips said: »
What causes "most viewed players" to show up exactly? Is it people going to look up their name here?

People who's name gets clicked on the most in recent time periods show up there. I've seen LS mates show up because they keep refreshing their name to see if their stuff has sold. I've seen my name show up a time or two almost immediately after someone argues with me on the forum and clearly can't let things go.
By Mrxi 2022-01-01 16:02:03
Link | Quote | Reply

People do it with most viewed linkshells also so that should be removed. on quetz its AlwaysCheckNrsss along with others, some person who hates being examined and has since been harassed off the game by same people spamming it in page reloader. Could say who it is doing it but im sure they would just like it.
[+]
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-01 17:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So is this a problem limited to Asura?

Are Asurans the only ones complaining about something again?

That always turns out well for the community.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-01-01 17:15:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually bahamut, no one on asura can take their head out of their own *** long enough to annoy someone else that way. It would mean taking attention away from themselves.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-01-01 17:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure I'm not the only one who bookmarked the forum page as their "ffxiah home" vs the actual home page, because most-viewed players and items just aren't that big of a deal. I think most of us come to xiah either for the forums or to search something we already know we're looking for.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2022-01-01 17:32:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Foxmulder said: »
It's also something that's done manually, which would present an issue here with the individuals that have access to FFXIAH not having the time to manage them.
It doesn't need to be done manually and is quite easy to automate. The problem we have at bg is we don't have access to setup a rss feed parser.
 Asura.Aldolol
user: Aldolol
By Asura.Aldolol 2022-01-01 17:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My personal preference would be the most up to date job guides and links getting to it. It's one of the main things I use for the forum, so less clicks getting there would be great.
 Odin.Foxmulder
By Odin.Foxmulder 2022-01-01 17:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
It doesn't need to be done manually and is quite easy to automate. The problem we have at bg is we don't have access to setup a rss feed parser.
Still imagine that's more effort than Rooks desired (no bully).
 Odin.Senaki
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2022-01-01 17:47:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Freehugs said: »
Are shouts even useful enough to have that big of a space? Whenever I glance at it, its just never ending job capacity point parties.

This is my experience too. 80% of shouts are RMT, Mercs, or Gil sellers. So I don’t even look at the chat and have everything filtered for the most part anyway.
 Sylph.Brahmsz
Server: Sylph
user: Khronos
By Sylph.Brahmsz 2022-01-01 19:10:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, and this is just my two cents... the front page of the site should be de-cluttered to a much simpler format & aesthetic:

1) Keep the RSS News Feed ticker.

2) Make the shout log a link in the side bar near the top and get rid of most viewed items, characters, linkshells. The side bar is a far better link to the site's other functionalities anyway.

PS: Most viewed has definitely cascaded from harassment on here to in-game as well (server dependent**), so it is not just a minor nuisance as much as some want to make it out to be.

PPS: The shoutlog still has functionality issues with singular shouts showing up as repetitive with strange characters tacked on the ends. I don't claim to know anything about how it functions but it's obviously not functioning properly...
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2022-01-01 19:12:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Is it possible to add a yell filter to the chat window like we do in game to block the rmt yells? Even if it would most likely result in a blank window cuz they seem to be the only people who ever yell. As far as most viewed goes, the last few times i looked it was all characters with obsecne names like dickbag etc, it wont be missed.
 Asura.Wormfeeder
By Asura.Wormfeeder 2022-01-01 20:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if it has been suggested. Is there a way to link a characters auction house sales where most viewed is.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2022-01-01 21:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Just put a link to this page there.

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/685867/final-fantasy-xi-gaming-mouse-pad
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2022-01-01 21:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Chiaia said: »
Odin.Foxmulder said: »
I love BG wiki and FFXIAH so to see them "join forces" even more would be really cool. I have no ideas tho.
By flyingtaru 2022-01-01 23:16:34
Link | Quote | Reply

What should replace "most viewed"? NOTHING.

Most of the chars are banned folks or people who rarely play and not sure why they'd be profiled anyways (must not take much to get on the list). I've seen linkshells listed that are closed with no participants in it. As most of this stuff is broken for too many it's WORTHLESS, except for egos.
 Ragnarok.Bennettz
Server: Ragnarok
user: Bennettz
By Ragnarok.Bennettz 2022-01-01 23:27:17
Link | Quote | Reply

just put tarutaru pictures on ^^.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-01-01 23:49:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems the "Most viewed characters" list has a bunch of dirty ones mixed in it again. I see why this could be a problem if whatever ads this site uses gets metadata from that section and sees some of those. Feel free to edit this post and delete the image of the dirty list when it's been seen, mods.
By Draylo 2022-01-01 23:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

How can those names even be created? Or did SE remove those filters from name creations.
By Felgarr 2022-01-02 00:04:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
How can those names even be created? Or did SE remove those filters from name creations.

SE absolutely recycled names or frees them up after some time.