The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 178 179 180 ... 237 238 239
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2022-03-22 00:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

We're having a devil of a time with A20 matamata. We've generally tried WHM RDM BRD MNK with some combination of PLD BLU WAR COR for the last two slots. Melee get Honor/Minuet x3/Dirge. The main issues seem to be melee losing buffs due to debilitating spout and also dealing with back-to-back tp moves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sacrifice doesn't work on spout zombie?

Anyway, I'm accepting any and all advice.
By Vaerix 2022-03-22 01:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Philemon said: »
We're having a devil of a time with A20 matamata. We've generally tried WHM RDM BRD MNK with some combination of PLD BLU WAR COR for the last two slots. Melee get Honor/Minuet x3/Dirge. The main issues seem to be melee losing buffs due to debilitating spout and also dealing with back-to-back tp moves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Sacrifice doesn't work on spout zombie?

Anyway, I'm accepting any and all advice.

Sacrifice removes zombie. However being able to ignore the boss mechanics helps alot, if you have access to smn, and pup the rdm could work on controlling add while monk solo dd, pup tank. As soon as boss 1hr's, monk runs away as far as needed for rdm to get bind/gravity on (alternate sleep and bind to keep add locked in place), then monk goes back to dd boss. Smn uses pacify on monk to keep boss off of it, WHM keeps mnk alive.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-03-22 07:20:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You really want a Geo for high level Matamata, as Barrier instantly changes him from being extremely dangerous for melees to pretty unthreatening due to how defense downs are calculated.

You'll also want a legitimate tank to eat all the dispels so your melees don't get hit by any.
[+]
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2022-03-22 07:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD/MNK/WAR/COR/BRD/WHM

Honor March/Minuet 5/Minuet 4/Minne 5/Dirge the DDs.

Sirvente the PLD -- make sure to re-apply at least 2 songs for the PLD after dispel. Victory March and either Ballad3/Sirvente.

COR and BRD can fight. Even though he is blunt weak, Naegling Savage Blade will enough damage to make it worthwhile.
[+]
 Sylph.Reain
Server: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2022-03-22 08:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Debilitating Spout is conal. It should only ever be hitting your tank. The whole fight is about the DDs not pulling hate because they can get full dispelled and it makes the add go for the back line.

I would probably recommend RUN for spiking hate with Valiance, One for All and potentially Liement. Hit all 6 people with them. Repeat if random deal and Wild Card reset them. But it is possible with PLD.

What others have said is good too. If you can't keep it on your tank or survive the AoEs you can try an extra Minne or a GEO instead of a DD.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-03-22 08:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

A update: 1233 Nostos, 52 chests, 3 Coffers, no new NM kills beyond 1x each. Still MM VIII on that character.
 Asura.Buffyslyph
By Asura.Buffyslyph 2022-03-22 09:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Asura.Buffyslyph said: »
I'm PRETTY sure MM15 requires Aurum 20 because I think I remember looking at character B and having 17 Aurum and only being MM14, but I didn't document it.

It's definitely 16 Aurums to get the last MM from boxes, because I had all other objectives done in Sheol A/B/C, and MM14 in each zone, and never got MM15 until I opened my 16th Aurum in every zone. 16 Aurums doesn't necessarily always grant MM15, unless it's the very last objective you need to clear. What probably happened in your case is you hit the last MM tier for Aurums, but was missing some other objective elsewhere (maybe like MM12-14), and then you got MM15 from something else and by the time you noticed your Aurum counts, you had like 20+ and thought it was related.

Just wanna quote this because I confirmed today. I opened my 16th Aurum in Sheol A and 5 char ranked up to rank 15, all have 14 Aurums previously.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-03-22 10:37:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Belkin said: »
PLD/MNK/WAR/COR/BRD/WHM

Honor March/Minuet 5/Minuet 4/Minne 5/Dirge the DDs.

Sirvente the PLD -- make sure to re-apply at least 2 songs for the PLD after dispel. Victory March and either Ballad3/Sirvente.

COR and BRD can fight. Even though he is blunt weak, Naegling Savage Blade will enough damage to make it worthwhile.

Warrior can utilize Tomahawk to improve COR/BRD dps. Also, there’s a case to be made that you can include a summoner instead of WHM, if you have heals covered with the PLD. He can use Panaceas, and the summoner can apply pacifying Ruby on the DDs to keep their hate low. In most cases, it’s not really a thing. If one DD dies and loses all his hate, you still have plenty of time to clear it with the other main DD
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
Server: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2022-03-22 14:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the advice. So Sacrifice *does* work for zombie in this fight? Our WHM was saying that it wasn't working for him.
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2022-03-22 14:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Philemon said: »
Thanks for the advice. So Sacrifice *does* work for zombie in this fight? Our WHM was saying that it wasn't working for him.
Sacrifice will remove Zombie if your WHM is in Afflatus Solace. For Gigelorum, I've found that it typically wears off quickly, within 10ish seconds if I recall correctly. By the time you cast Sacrifice, it wears off of you nearly instantly. So I tend to ignore it and focus on rebuffing the tank. All of this assumes you're not just using a PUP, which is the easiest way to do this. Don't nobody wanna tank this annoying *** mob.
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-03-23 12:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

A update: Hit MM IX today right as a I killed one of my first Agon mobs today on that same character. I'm not sure how many Agon mobs they've killed, but it's been a good bit. Been generally approaching this focusing on farming 2-3 Halos a run then spending Izzat, regardless if it's the most efficient way or not.

1360 Nostos, 56 chests, 5 coffers, 1x all nms.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-03-23 20:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Friend ranked up to the next MM level when he kills his 14th unique NM (32 total).

This was actually his 5th rank up from killing new NMs (1, 5, 9, 11, 14). I have no idea how this system works.
[+]
By Guyford 2022-03-23 23:32:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Guyford said: »
Atk, Def, Acc, Eva, MAB, MDB, Macc, Meva

Are you sure about these for A3, or are you referring to other NMs in Odyssey auras (SheolA and A1-2 NMs). I only recall the 4 Geriond mentioned as an aura from when the boss uses his respective SP, but have never seen evasion, magic defense bonus, and Magic Evasion down.

Got meva down on arebati today so yes I'm super sure u can get any of the 8.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-03-26 15:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranked up to XIII in Sheol A when I opened my 6th Aurum Strongbox.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-03-27 18:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ranked up to XIV in Sheol A when I got my 13th NM to 6 kills.

There are 15 NMs, so I have another run left to get all to 6 kills. I'm only @9 Aurum Strongboxes, so the last tier of that is likely 16 and I might switch to C to get some more easy levels first.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2022-03-30 09:21:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm getting conflicting answers on this, figured I'd ask here and get myself hopefully less confused without wasting segments to test it.

If you take a v20 down to below 75%, then wipe, and it regens back to 100% before you get kicked out, do you still get RP?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-03-30 09:46:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty sure that because of people getting extra RP after healing moves ticked certain %s, we can conclude that it's an event triggered by hp change. Theoretically, if you could cleanly take a mob between a threshold over and over(maybe use a SC that heals it?) you probably get the RP every time even without dealing any substantial damage.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-03-30 10:01:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Also proving that it is indeed based on HP change instead of damage dealt is the fact that Purulent Ooze rewards RP when the -10% HP effect lands even while the ability's base damage is relatively insignificant.

I do wonder, though, if you waited until the last ~60-90 seconds of the fight and landed Purulent Ooze, but the -10% HP effect doesn't wear off before you get kicked out, do you still get RP? Technically, the NM only lost <1% from the ability and it didn't register any HP loss. My guess would be no.
By SimonSes 2022-03-30 11:19:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You get RP every time you take NM below 95%, 90%, 85% etc. Ooze gives you RP only when max HP down effects wears off and current HP drops below thresholds. You can use Ooze several times per fight to get extra RP several times too.

KujahFoxfire said: »
Yeah, you get RP based on the lowest HP it went to. I think it's more based on damage dealt than mob HP in general, but it's easier for us to track using HP.

This is not true. You need to reach thresholds of HP. Damage dealt doesn't matter. I had Bumba using Heaven grace few times once and I only took it to 95% and got no RP (damage was enough to easily push it to 94% if he wasnt healing)
[+]
 Fenrir.Velner
Server: Fenrir
user: Velner
By Fenrir.Velner 2022-03-30 11:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Pretty sure that because of people getting extra RP after healing moves ticked certain %s, we can conclude that it's an event triggered by hp change. Theoretically, if you could cleanly take a mob between a threshold over and over(maybe use a SC that heals it?) you probably get the RP every time even without dealing any substantial damage.

If that works, just rely on the auto-regen of the V20s. That may be effective.
 Fenrir.Velner
Server: Fenrir
user: Velner
By Fenrir.Velner 2022-03-30 11:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
I'm getting conflicting answers on this, figured I'd ask here and get myself hopefully less confused without wasting segments to test it.

If you take a v20 down to below 75%, then wipe, and it regens back to 100% before you get kicked out, do you still get RP?

You 100% will get RP for an NM that regens. Mboze almost always regens to 100% when I RP on him due to his aura but I always get points, provided he was pushed below 95% before I wipe.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-03-30 12:13:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Velner said: »
Shiva.Thorny said: »

If that works, just rely on the auto-regen of the V20s. That'd be insane.

Problem is, that's not much RP. I think at V20 you will get like 17RP for reaching each threshold. Even assuming you could ideally balance it between 74% and 75% (regen to 75%, damage to 74%), you will maybe get like 20 tics of regen like that, so 408RP? You will get much more simply killing it. I guess it's some kind of tactic for worse groups. Overall this RP is nothing in comparison to RP from amplifier tho.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2022-03-30 13:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, it's more a neat idea than a practical method. Perhaps if it was thoroughly optimized on a weak NM you could continually SC in a way that you go over threshold by WSing and the SC heals it back over. SC every 10 seconds * 12 min = 72 * 17 = 1224 (assuming 3 min to get prepared and reduce HP), which would be substantially more than the 704 you get for just killing it.

The amount of effort / coordination to ever get it to a point where it'd beat killing the NM is pretty ridiculous though, if it even works in an unlimited manner like that. Certainly not suggesting anyone should use or try this for farming RP, just a neat idea. If you matched auto attack damage pretty close to regen, you could probably do even faster.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-03-30 13:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Only the T3s and T4s ever heal on SC, so there aren't reallly any "weak" ones to try it on.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-04-05 20:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Got a rank up in C to XII with:
3464 Nosto
4 Lotanu
5 Kurmajara
11 Dabbat al-Ard
18 Choas Steward (oops, SE)
3 Wayra Tata <--- third kill ranked me up
16 Asena
4 Bygul
~170 chests
~16 coffers
2 Aurum strongboxes
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-04-17 18:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Mule ranked up in C to VIII with on his 16th coffer opened. Total stats were:
538 Nostos
1 Lotanu
5 Kurmajara
2 Dabbat al-Ard
2 Chaos Steward
7 Wayra Tata
1 Asena
2 Bygul
96(?) Chests
16 Coffers <--- this ranked up
1 Aurum Strongbox
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-04-17 18:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I also forgot to note it at the time, but I hit XIII on Byrth when I killed Kurmajara for the 9th time, which gave me NM stats something like:

4 Lotanu
9 Kurmajara <--- ranked me up
11 Dabbat al-Ard
18 Chaos Steward
7 Wayra Tata
16 Asena
4 Bygul

Since then, I have finished Wayra Tata and am working on Lotanu / Bygul. Going pretty well so far.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2022-04-25 21:20:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Chunk was dropped and I didn't get the message, but I am pretty sure that I leveled up to 14 in Sheol C when I killed Lotanu. My stats would have been:

9 Lotanu
9 Kurmajara <--- ranked me up
11 Dabbat al-Ard
18 Chaos Steward
9 Wayra Tata
16 Asena
8 Bygul

so 1 off the expected "all 9" requirement.

My last remaining level is 16 Aurum Strongboxes. I'm @5.

Mule ranked up on his 700th Nostos kill (which was actually an Agon).
First Page 2 3 ... 178 179 180 ... 237 238 239