The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
First Page 2 3 ... 148 149 150 ... 238 239 240
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-13 17:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Post-update he's got about 100 MDB, so if he was somehow changed from a PLD to a RUN, he'd have had only 80 before, which would be pretty unprecedented.
By Vaerix 2021-07-14 02:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, we just finished this line-up didn't want to post when we started it because we were fine tuning but this was our lineup for odyssey bosses.

Ongo T3 Bird
BLM/COR/BRD/GEO/RUN/SCH
Int etude x2, VM, Ballad x2 (HM, Agi Etude, Prelude piano'ed to COR)
Evoker/Wizards roll
(GEO THINGS)

Gigelorum T2 Matamata
MNK/PUP/SMN/BLU/WHM/WAR

Procne T2 Tulfaire
DRG/RDM/BST/DNC/PLD/SAM

After quite a while we finally finished 5/5 Agwu and looking forward to not doing a fight only to reset abilities and Quickdraw (On a good run)
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-15 01:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Anyone else notice a marked difference in Ongo since SE changed his 1hour from Invincible to Elemental Sforzo? Same people, same buff/debuff array, and we're not seeing anywhere near the same burst numbers out of BLM and SCH we saw when we got our V15 unlock prior to this change.

Sincerely hoping I'm just falling victim to reaching for an excuse here^^

I'm running in this group with Celebrindal and we're running into a massive damage issue. We went from doing close to capped damage 2 months ago, to barely getting 35k+ on a stone VI after a Stoneja and Earth Shot. We used a RNG/COR for SC on our first win, but with that same setup (and people) we're barely taking it down to 60%.

Here's the setup we're currently trying and I'll post the sets we're nuking in and maybe someone might have some insight into what we're doing wrong.

RUN - Rayke/Gambit Tellus when up, reset with RD/WC
SCH - Sandstorm II, Regen V, Embrava, Klimaform, Shell/Prot, Burst Helix at start, help with SC after. MB Only after Stone VI goes off
COR - We've tried Wiz/Sam and Warlock/Wiz and haven't noticed much of a difference in damage. Earth Shot before Stone VI. Sniper Shot is part of our SC
GEO - Idris/Bolster Geo-Accumen, Indi-INT, Entrust-Focus. Doesn't burst outside helping with Proc for fetters
BRD - Marchx2 Intx2 Ballad, Earth Threnody II, Elegy
BLM - Burst Impact, stick burn. Stoneja -> Stone VI. Opens fight with Vidohunir at around 2500 TP. Reapplies throughout fight.

This is the SCH's (Me) Helix set
ItemSet 380864

And this is our BLM's Burst Set
ItemSet 380865

BLM has tried swapping Hands/Feet to Relic+3 with very little difference in damage. Marin Staff +1 about the same, depends on what Aura we get to see Marin Staff +1 come out on top.

On our runs before his two hour was changed I was bursting 12-14k Geohelix II and can now barely hit 8500. BLM was bursting consistently 70K+ and I think the best nuke we've seen was a 38k Stone VI. At this point we're at a complete loss. We don't know what else we can try to make this work. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
By SimonSes 2021-07-15 03:27:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you doing 3 runes for Rayke? Cele said you used to do one rune and people explained very clearly that 3 runes are very important.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-15 04:17:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Are you doing 3 runes for Rayke? Cele said you used to do one rune and people explained very clearly that 3 runes are very important.
The change was made to 3x for both, yes.
By eeternal 2021-07-15 05:00:32
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure but had a couple of runs and was capping 99k on v15

ItemSet 380870

same buffs that u had without using Vidohunir/Shattersoul.. but I do ga/rayke at the same time to maximize dmg
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2021-07-15 08:52:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Celebrindal and Boposhopo did you guys try the new improved BLM and SCH technique with the 6-step?

Translation of Strat by Caesir...

YouTube Video Placeholder

Caesir said: »
Some additional notes about the second method of Ongo:

1. From 茶樽さん's video (Ongo) they also mention BLM priorities Stoneja to trigger Cumulative Magic(same elemental damage bonus can boost up to 25%).

2. First Random Deal only reset Gambit, after reset RUN will use Rayke, then save the reset Gambit when E. Sforzo(Ongo 1hr) is about off.

3. The whole skillchain they were doing is actually a 6-step (see their log):
SCH- SCH - SCH - SCH - RUN - COR
Scission(MB) — Detonation(skip) — Gravity(MB) — Steel Cyclone(MB) — Wildfire(MB)
-Caesir
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-07-15 10:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The stoneja thing I thought was said to be used a bit ago so I don't think thats new but the 6 step while cool shouldn't be needed tbh. I'm sure it'll speed the fight up when we did this fight before they changed ongo 1hr group we did had 7 mins or so on the clock with just run and cor making 3 step sc.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2021-07-15 10:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
The stoneja thing I thought was said to be used a bit ago so I don't think thats new but the 6 step while cool shouldn't be needed tbh. I'm sure it'll speed the fight up when we did this fight before they changed ongo 1hr group we did had 7 mins or so on the clock with just run and cor making 3 step sc.

The fair consistency of 98-99k bursts throughout the fight was impressive. Yeah it’s the 6-step that’s new as well as exploiting just about every DPS bonus possible.. They also use Malaise because even at -75% power reduction it’s relevant.. I thought for a while it was -95% like Frailty..
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-07-15 10:36:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Syto said: »

The fair consistency of 98-99k bursts throughout the fight was impressive. Yeah it’s the 6-step that’s new as well as exploiting just about every DPS bonus possible.. They also use Malaise because even at -75% power reduction it’s relevant.. I thought for a while it was -95% like Frailty..
Oh yea for sure we used geo int acumen and malaise for geo.. I'll have to watch video when im back home but it doesn't sound like much changed outside of sch doing sc over nuking. If it's much faster that be sweet I just felt like sch nuking would help a bit more. What I did find out was the rayke and gambit thing from Ls mate I listed somewhere in ls guide was wrong and seeing you post it confirmed I'm dumb and had tank using it wrong I think.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
By Asura.Syto 2021-07-15 10:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yea for sure we used geo int acumen and malaise for geo.. I'll have to watch video when im back home but it doesn't sound like much changed outside of sch doing sc over nuking. If it's much faster that be sweet I just felt like sch nuking would help a bit more. What I did find out was the rayke and gambit thing from Ls mate I listed somewhere in ls guide was wrong and seeing you post it confirmed I'm dumb and had tank using it wrong I think.

Oh it’s much faster... it’s a 4-5 minute fight now with this method....lol Ongo V15 gets Incinerated/Overkilled..

Video is entertaining when you get to it.. lol
[+]
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-15 10:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Celebrindal and Boposhopo did you guys try the new improved BLM and SCH technique with the 6-step?

Translation of Strat by Caesir...

Caesir said: »
Some additional notes about the second method of Ongo:

1. From 茶樽さん's video (Ongo) they also mention BLM priorities Stoneja to trigger Cumulative Magic(same elemental damage bonus can boost up to 25%).

2. First Random Deal only reset Gambit, after reset RUN will use Rayke, then save the reset Gambit when E. Sforzo(Ongo 1hr) is about off.

3. The whole skillchain they were doing is actually a 6-step (see their log):
SCH- SCH - SCH - SCH - RUN - COR
Scission(MB) — Detonation(skip) — Gravity(MB) — Steel Cyclone(MB) — Wildfire(MB)
-Caesir

We have not, when we found we were having issues with the COR/RNG strat making the SC (low MB damage as opposed to our first clear) we switched to something like this thinking that his 2-hr change resulted in an Ongo job change to RUN vs PLD so we'd need a BRD to add the INT etudes.

Even with the 2-hr change the players in this video were consistently hitting high damage nukes. So we swapped over to this, but still are not seeing anywhere near the numbers we expect to be seeing. We had seen the strat with the SCH/RUN/COR making the SC, but felt there was something else wrong and were trying to sort out our MB damage first, before switching to a new SC strat.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-07-15 12:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Boposhopo said: »
Anyone else notice a marked difference in Ongo since SE changed his 1hour from Invincible to Elemental Sforzo? Same people, same buff/debuff array, and we're not seeing anywhere near the same burst numbers out of BLM and SCH we saw when we got our V15 unlock prior to this change.

I'm running in this group with Celebrindal and we're running into a massive damage issue. We went from doing close to capped damage 2 months ago, to barely getting 35k+ on a stone VI after a Stoneja and Earth Shot. We used a RNG/COR for SC on our first win, but with that same setup (and people) we're barely taking it down to 60%.

Here's the setup we're currently trying and I'll post the sets we're nuking in and maybe someone might have some insight into what we're doing wrong.

SCH - Sandstorm II, Regen V, Embrava, Klimaform, Shell/Prot, Burst Helix at start, help with SC after. MB Only after Stone VI goes off
COR - We've tried Wiz/Sam and Warlock/Wiz and haven't noticed much of a difference in damage. Earth Shot before Stone VI. Sniper Shot is part of our SC
GEO - Idris/Bolster Geo-Accumen, Indi-INT, Entrust-Focus. Doesn't burst outside helping with Proc for fetters
BLM - Burst Impact, stick burn. Stoneja -> Stone VI. Opens fight with Vidohunir at around 2500 TP. Reapplies throughout fight.

ItemSet 380864

ItemSet 380865

BLM has tried swapping Hands/Feet to Relic+3 with very little difference in damage. Marin Staff +1 about the same, depends on what Aura we get to see Marin Staff +1 come out on top.

On our runs before his two hour was changed I was bursting 12-14k Geohelix II and can now barely hit 8500. BLM was bursting consistently 70K+ and I think the best nuke we've seen was a 38k Stone VI. At this point we're at a complete loss. We don't know what else we can try to make this work. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Gonna tell you like some of us found out the Marin staff is gonna help you alot more than lae will sadly. The extra int is helpful for sure. I used the same set you have outside the staff and didn't have a big problem with lower mb damage.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-15 12:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

ItemSet 380864

ItemSet 380865

Gonna tell you like some of us found out the Marin staff is gonna help you alot more than lae will sadly. The extra int is helpful for sure. I used the same set you have outside the staff and didn't have a big problem with lower mb damage.

As I mentioned in my post, we tried both, pre-2hr change we used Marin +1 for our original clear as we thought the same thing. After the 2hr change we've tried Marin +1, Laev, and Bunzi + shield all with similar results.
By Malaketth 2021-07-15 12:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Were you perhaps doing a longer SC before or double dark at least and now you aren't as consistent with it? The SC length for Ongo really helps. I know you said same people but sometimes things/people get lax when going back through again.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-15 12:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Malaketth said: »
Were you perhaps doing a longer SC before or double dark at least and now you aren't as consistent with it? The SC length for Ongo really helps. I know you said same people but sometimes things/people get lax when going back through again.

Started off same SC. Jishnu's -> Wildfire -> Namas -> wildfire

Since then we've tried several different SC in varying length, still with same result of doing roughly 1/3 - 1/4 of the damage we were expecting or doing before.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-07-15 16:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Since then we've tried several different SC in varying length, still with same result of doing roughly 1/3 - 1/4 of the damage we were expecting or doing before.
So don't use focus use malaise think you said you guys switched or was someone else saying it. Focus for some reason just doesn't offer much from what I noticed you'd do better doing entrust malaise tbh. Also Your geo should be helping with burst. Remember even if you get nuke wall casting 2 or 3 lower tier nukes the damage adds up from blm. I did rotation like Stoneja with burst into stone 4 to stone 3 with the 3 step SC we were doing with run and cor. Legit geo blm sch should be doing nukes the damage even if its 20k from those guys start to add up alot in long run. They should let you cast first for earth shot like always. Honestly the numbers will start to add up in the long run. I know people feel like we should be capped damage every nuke or close to it but its not realistic with magic. I was doing 78k nukes sometimes and then doing like 38k nukes with bigger spells geo was getting around 20-40k nukes I think those add up over time.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-15 16:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

ok a few points of clarification:

1. Wins were achieved at V15 2+ months ago, then exact setup and quality of buffs was tried starting 2 weeks ago with a fraction of the results. This is not a case of "we watched x video and did their stuff, and it doesn't work"- this started as having a working strat for our people, and then it no longer worked...and not just randomness, multiple attempts with different auras, different days, different people even in roles while preserving the same job array.

2. I built 3 tiers of bursting sets for this fight when faced with the numbers I was. I wanted to do everything possible from the BLM's perspective before pointing fingers, so to speak. For the record, I find the suggestion of "use Marin+1" offensive because not only was it mentioned in the first post of this vein by Bopo, but I suggested months ago to others to make the switch to Marin+1, and it was JTT who complimented it...so yeah, confusing.

Standard Burst set:
ItemSet 380881
This set has been tried with Both R11 Laevateinn and R15 Marin+1. In the case of Mythic, with both no AM up and AM2s of varying strength from 2100TP to 2830TP.

Mid Macc Burst set:
ItemSet 380882
This set used excluseively with Marin+1. The goal of this build was to try and get as much INT as I could while maintaining the same MBB1 as the above set, and also gain Macc.

High Macc Burst set:
ItemSet 380883
This was a last ditch effort to try and build a set only around macc, and damn the consequences. Needs Bunzi's Rod to still reach 40MBB1, but ends up with some pretty ridiculous numbers in the magic accuracy department. Bunzi's rod is only R5 at the moment, so add an extra 5mab. Its also a +255 'magic accuracy skill' weapon vs Marin+1's +228.

After buffs, the Mid Macc Burst set with Marin+1 resulted in INT+433 with what I have always considered incredibly solid magic accuracy, and respectable (not BiS, that was the point) MAB and MBB2. Food used has almost been exclusively Tropical Crepes. Our V15 win runs months ago, food used was Cehuetzi Snow Cones...I have tried that in this go-around, but of course as a mage when you see bad numbers you first think "more macc" as the easy fix and stopped using Snow Cones.

We've swapped our members around in the GEO and RUN roles- both GEOs were Idris GEOs with all the expected gear sets for bubbling. Since all they burst is during the needed proc windows, critiquing their burst sets is irrelevant.

We have done runs where our Rune Fencer did both 1x rune for Rayke and then switched to 3x runes for Rayke. Changes were not noticed in max damage seen on bursts for us. Nonetheless we are sticking with the x3 as the -SDT pointed out (something Baniak did accurately mention I undervalued prior) should matter.

The GEOs have tried arrays of Focus/INT/Acumen. We will be trying to swap one out for Malaise. Any suggestions of the best to drop for that malaise, as well as specifics (used as a Bolstered/Dematerialized GEO- bubble, entrusted on the Tank, any suggestions welcome)

COR has done both Warlock's/Wizard's Rolls as well as Samurai/Wizard's Rolls. The macc gain from Warlock's (+8 or +7 rolls, we've swapped around people here as well) was not noticeable in the parsed numbers of max nuke seen.

Our BRD has +8songs for Etudes (no Su3+1 head), so not gimpy Etudes. We now also Ni/Tro songs at the top of the stairs, ensuring that a /ja-boosted Earth Threnody lands.

we brought this issue to the playerbase en masse rather than keep it to ourselves because trust us- our pride is definitely blown to ***on this guy after previously getting such relaxing wins. We're here to accept any suggestions we haven't tried yet, or critiques of our technique if we're doing something, but poorly.

A couple final observations:

-it is mentioned often that Ongo possesses a starting -DT from the moment of pop, and "frequent proccing" removes it. I can testify that the strongest bursts I have seen in all our runs always happen after a Red/Blue series of procs- but this does not explain seeing others able to land pre-proc nukes of capped damage if that were the only issue.

-it is also pointed out that subsequent steps of a multistep SC have increased potency of lowering resistances, again something I 100% agree is a factor- but again, does not explain why I open with a 32k Stone 6 when all is ideal and no aura is present and I see frequent videos of similarly geared/buffed BLMs hitting capped Stone 6's off a 2-step SC.

Again- thank you all for the time spend reading my walls of text and trying to help.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-15 16:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So don't use focus use malaise think you said you guys switched or was someone else saying it. Focus for some reason just doesn't offer much from what I noticed you'd do better doing entrust malaise tbh. Also Your geo should be helping with burst. Remember even if you get nuke wall casting 2 or 3 lower tier nukes the damage adds up from blm. I did rotation like Stoneja with burst into stone 4 to stone 3 with the 3 step SC we were doing with run and cor. Legit geo blm sch should be doing nukes the damage even if its 20k from those guys start to add up alot in long run. They should let you cast first for earth shot like always. Honestly the numbers will start to add up in the long run. I know people feel like we should be capped damage every nuke or close to it but its not realistic with magic. I was doing 78k nukes sometimes and then doing like 38k nukes with bigger spells geo was getting around 20-40k nukes I think those add up over time.

The numbers you mention with SCH/GEO bursting as well line up with what we saw doing the strat with RUN RNG COR BLM SCH GEO on our V15 wins. But the identical setup/buffs with better gear and familiarity with the fight isn't producing those numbers any more. If i were seeing nukes hitting like they were before, we'd definitely still have the secondary nukers doing heavy work, not just proc work.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-07-15 16:38:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The numbers you mention with SCH/GEO bursting as well line up with what we saw doing the strat with RUN RNG COR BLM SCH GEO on our V15 wins. But the identical setup/buffs with better gear and familiarity with the fight isn't producing those numbers any more. If i were seeing nukes hitting like they were before, we'd definitely still have the secondary nukers doing heavy work, not just proc work.
Make sense ill have to give it a go the next couple days and see what sup then I understand now. Also I know you said the Marin I was more so saying someone said it in a post above I thought not a shot at you or anything like that.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-15 16:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

all good bro- always is^^
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-07-15 17:00:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this is a stupid question and shouldn't matter either way but do you have merits into earth magic potency and have you tried something silly like ancient magic spells?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-15 17:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this is a stupid question and shouldn't matter either way but do you have merits into earth magic potency and have you tried something silly like ancient magic spells?

not a stupid question at all, extremely relevant to this fight. Yeah, I'm running 5/5 Earth and Thunder Potency in group 1, and 5/5 elemental macc, 5/5 elemental debuff potency in group 2.
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Asura.Tydis 2021-07-15 17:55:36
Link | Quote | Reply

As a guy who only did Odyssey to clear it because I wasn't too into the game at the time and ended up taking a 3 month break, what is the best way to tackle Odyssey?

I figured I'd start with Sheol A to get my bearings, from what information I have found I was thinking maybe kill Agon mobs and then use Izzat to spawn NMs to work on Moogle Mastery or something.

I don't really understand much of this event though, would anyone be able to advise?
By SimonSes 2021-07-15 18:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Tydis said: »
As a guy who only did Odyssey to clear it because I wasn't too into the game at the time and ended up taking a 3 month break, what is the best way to tackle Odyssey?

I figured I'd start with Sheol A to get my bearings, from what information I have found I was thinking maybe kill Agon mobs and then use Izzat to spawn NMs to work on Moogle Mastery or something.

I don't really understand much of this event though, would anyone be able to advise?

Join segment parties to farm segments.
Kill NMs in shaol: Gaol using segments to unlock ability to buy equipment from moogle. Kill more NMs at higher difficulties to obtain RP to augment that equipment.
Leveling MM has currently no benefits other than making your trusts significantly stronger, but you can't solo Atonement 3 and 4 NMs (and those unlocks/augment best armor sets) at higher difficulties anyway even with MM level 45. So it's up to you if you want to level MM for achievement or if you think SE can some day decide to make MM relevant for something more.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-07-15 18:40:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I double checked just in case, and I can confirm that while SCs in general reduce enemy resistance rank by 1 stage for the magic burst duration, multi-step SCs do not stack for further resistance rank reductions, so multiple step SCs' only benefit is multiple MB windows in a row.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-15 18:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
I double checked just in case, and I can confirm that while SCs in general reduce enemy resistance rank by 1 stage for the magic burst duration, multi-step SCs do not stack for further resistance rank reductions, so multiple step SCs' only benefit is multiple MB windows in a row.

THANK YOU for this confirmation. It's what I had read as well but thought I must be missing something.
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Tydis 2021-07-15 19:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kill NMs in shaol: Gaol using segments to unlock ability to buy equipment from moogle. Kill more NMs at higher difficulties to obtain RP to augment that equipment.
Leveling MM has currently no benefits other than making your trusts significantly stronger, but you can't solo Atonement 3 and 4 NMs (and those unlocks/augment best armor sets) at higher difficulties anyway even with MM level 45. So it's up to you if you want to level MM for achievement or if you think SE can some day decide to make MM relevant for something more.
Oh okay thank you. If I wanted to solo Odyssey what is the best option? Is it opening chests on THF in C?
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2021-07-15 19:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh okay thank you. If I wanted to solo Odyssey what is the best option? Is it opening chests on THF in C?

For segments it's highly inefficient to go in solo. Popping chests with keys on THF also results in very few segments. Going in with groups (Tank, 2x DD, BRD COR WHM) or some variation of that will net better segment return. Killing the Nostos and Agon mobs are what give the most segments, and popping chests with Izzat gives more segments that popping with a key.

If you're dead set on Solo, BLU Cruel Joke cleaving is probably your best shot.
[+]
 Asura.Tydis
MSPaint Winner
By Asura.Tydis 2021-07-15 20:06:37
Link | Quote | Reply

For segments it's highly inefficient to go in solo. Popping chests with keys on THF also results in very few segments. Going in with groups (Tank, 2x DD, BRD COR WHM) or some variation of that will net better segment return. Killing the Nostos and Agon mobs are what give the most segments, and popping chests with Izzat gives more segments that popping with a key.

If you're dead set on Solo, BLU Cruel Joke cleaving is probably your best shot.
It's not that I'm dead set on soloing per se, I just don't find myself particularly fond of doing stuff with strangers any more and as far as I am aware there is reason to still be doing Odyssey. Well I'll have to see if my friends still do Odyssey or maybe I'll just have to skip it.
First Page 2 3 ... 148 149 150 ... 238 239 240