SE: "no Longer Need To Use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » SE: "no longer need to use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)
SE: "no longer need to use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)
First Page 2 3
 Valefor.Oxt
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: oxt77
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-20 09:25:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Greetings,

The response from Lomloon, as pointed out, contained incorrect information about the way treasure hunter works. It was mentioned in his first post that once you reach a certain level of treasure hunter, the drop rate would not be affected much even if you continue to stack more treasure hunter. This, however, is only talking about common drops, and continuing to add treasure hunter will boost the drop rate for rare items, though it will be a very slight increase.

We’ve informed the development team again about the feedback mentioning that it’s hard to let go of Thief’s Knife while playing in a party as players want to increase the treasure hunter effect to 12.

The development team was looking into a higher-tier version of Thief’s Knife; however, they felt it would result in thieves equipping both the new knife and the original which would further limit their weapon selection. In order to solve this issue, they are currently looking into placing a cap on treasure hunter from equipment in the future.

With this as well as the addition of other equipment with treasure hunter, we are aiming to make it so you can reach the equipment cap and no longer need to use Thief’s Knife. Please also know that we will not be reducing the value of treasure hunter obtainable with current equipment.

While I can’t make any promises as to when this adjustment will take place, we will be sure to keep you updated as there is progress!

Source

(Note) If this was already posted somewhere in the website either a MoD delete or shoot me a PM and I'll delete it. Thank you.
 Carbuncle.Sisko
Server: Carbuncle
user: siskotaru
By Carbuncle.Sisko 2014-02-20 09:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Very interesting, thanks.
By Arziet 2014-02-20 09:39:53
Link | Quote | Reply

A very clear answer to a question that has been at hand for a very long time.

Limit initial TH proc so 119 gear will hit proc level with out need for thief's knife. I like it.
By fonewear 2014-02-20 10:11:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Eventually: about three years from now.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-02-20 10:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably around the time we get Cait Sith and Atomos.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-02-20 10:13:42
Link | Quote | Reply

SE sounds like me when I would work on a project for school. I'll get to it eventually (day before it is due)
 Valefor.Oxt
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-20 10:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
SE sounds like me when I would work on a project for school. I'll get to it eventually (day before it is due)

They've actually gotten a lot better about things - new development team and all. But yeah, I know what you mean.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-02-20 10:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Allegedly... But I'll believe it when I can summon him.
By Wordspoken 2014-02-20 10:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the issue again? Push a macro to change subweapon after initial TH is on the mob, right?
 Shiva.Siral
Server: Shiva
user: Siral
By Shiva.Siral 2014-02-20 10:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

They should just keep the same name on the new one. That way you can't equip 2 of them even if they're different levels because of the rare tag.

It's not like it'd be confusing to talk about either the lv 70 or ilv 119 one or whatever it would be.

Also, It'd be a whole lot easier to implement than trying to mess with other TH gear.
 Shiva.Siral
By Shiva.Siral 2014-02-20 10:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wordspoken said: »
What's the issue again? Push a macro to change subweapon after initial TH is on the mob, right?

A) Because you lose TP when you switch daggers.

B) SE has stated when you stay in TH gear it increases chances of upgrading TH level. So if you're going specifically for TH12 then you want to keep it on.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Sheelay
Server: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2014-02-20 10:39:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Use old THF knife for a quest to get your new THF knife, just like Purple > Brown > Black Belt. Preposterous!!!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-02-20 10:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm more than happy if they don't release a new th weapon. Th should be for gear only.
[+]
 Asura.Ackeronll
Server: Asura
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2014-02-20 10:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably be something like the pet stats for SMN DRG BST and PUP.

If you have a weapon equipped in the main hand with ilvl 100+ you get +1 TH up to the gear cap of 4.

Cap stays the same 3 for JTs, 4 from gear and in 2/3 months when they upgrade Empy gear to ilvl status everything is over ilvl100.
 Shiva.Siral
By Shiva.Siral 2014-02-20 10:43:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »
and people will still full time TH gear beyond the first hit and argue to the death that it does something.
Like the official Square Enix Reps?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/27974-TH-Procing?p=377001#post377001
Camate said:
Happy Friday everyone!

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I wanted to share some information about Treasure Hunter.

This post might get a bit complicated since it is about Treasure Hunter, but that is the nature of the beast, as they say.

To shed some light of the background before I drop some knowledge bombs, there was a test performed by your fellow adventurers in Japan, and they noticed that after initially hitting the monster with maximum TH+ gear equipped and then switching to non-TH gear, the rate in which the TH value increased was reduced.

Now that you have the background…

Adding Treasure Hunter+ via equipment, or other means, will not increase the rate at which the Treasure Hunter value grows, as this is a set rate. However, when the value of Treasure Hunter placed on a monster and the value of the Treasure Hunter on your character are different, this will cause the growth rate to vary. With that said, if you want to increase the Treasure Hunter value, it is best to utilize equipment that has the Treasure Hunter+ effect. By unequipping Treasure Hunter+ gear, you are essentially creating a gap between the value placed on the monster and your character, which results in an inefficient means for increasing the TH value.

There have been requests to make it so that it's possible to switch out TH+ gear after the TH effect is placed on a monster, but as there is a concern that this would reduce the value of equipment with Treasure Hunter+ and also takes away all the hard work some players have put into maximize their Treasure Hunter, we would like to keep it as it is currently.

Yes you can hit TH7 on first swing and switch out and get TH8, but getting to TH8 takes longer without the gear than with the gear.

For farming fodder mobs it doesn't make much of a difference since they die so fast, besides the annoyance of losing tp, but for something with a super rare drop that you want to maximize TH it does make a difference.

Odin.Sheelay said: »
Use old THF knife for a quest to get your new THF knife, just like Purple > Brown > Black Belt. Preposterous!!!
But what they're saying is you could potentially get the new THF knife from quest and then just buy the old one again and dual wield 2 knives with TH on it.

You can have both a black and brown belt if you want, but you can't equip both at the same time which makes it useless. If you could equip both at same time there would be people who would do just that.

If they keep the same name it eliminates the possibility though regardless is there is a quest or not.
[+]
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2014-02-20 10:45:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Needs moar ilvl oynos rly. Who even cared about the thf knife, if you're killing something with it equipped then kill speed/DPS never mattered anyway aka behemoth.
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-20 10:57:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Angierus said: »
and people will still full time TH gear beyond the first hit and argue to the death that it does something.
For farming common drops, like dynamis currency, leveling up TH is counterproductive because damage is more important than TH level on a multitude of mobs. However, if you are trying to farm something like Defending Ring, you are being stupid (or ignorant) if you are taking off TH gear after the initial hit, because in that situation, TH level is much more important than damage on a single boss (especially in that situation where the pop is expensive/time consuming to get).

Odin.Sheelay said: »
Speaking of Black Belt, Square Enix also stated before SoA was even released, that "Monk gets a new belt, but the Black Belt will be required to attain it" (Source) A year later, we monks are still waiting for it.

So I wouldn't hold your breath concerning a new TH weapon, lol.
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2014-02-20 11:10:50
Link | Quote | Reply

It seems like the simplest solution to this problem would be some job trait that replaces (but does not stack with) the effect given specifically by the Thief's Knife. Perhaps modifying TH3 to be +1 with TK equipped, +2 without. Then modify the text of the TK to read (and function as) "Treasure Hunter +1 Does not stack with the effects granted by Treasure Hunter III"."
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-02-20 11:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

If they want to upgrade Thief's Knife while preventing players from dual-wielding both new and old versions, all they have to do is make it so the upgrade is an augment on the original version, instead of a new weapon. It wouldn't be a pretty fix, but it'd work.

The augment would simply be DMG+, perhaps delay-, and probably a bonus to accuracy/attack. The level of the weapon would still be the same as it was, but the quest to augment it would require you to be 99 THF, and naturally, the augment would make the weapon EX.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2014-02-20 11:31:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
If they want to upgrade Thief's Knife while preventing players from dual-wielding both new and old versions, all they have to do is make it so the upgrade is an augment to the original version, instead of a new weapon. It wouldn't be a pretty fix, but it'd work.

The augment would simply be DMG+, perhaps delay-, and probably a bonus to accuracy/attack. The level of the weapon would still be the same as it was, but the quest to augment it would require you to be 99 THF, and naturally, the augment would make the weapon EX.
"Reforging" The Thiefs KNife like the R/E/M would be the only way to do it and making TK R/EX (or whatever it is that makes it so you cant dual wield two of the same REM.) but square enix clearly doesnt want to add a new thiefs knife because you will attain the gear cap later as the ilevel increases and better equipment comes out. Its one of those "Get over it, theres new shinies" solutions that made stubborn feely people quit when they found out REM werent going to initially be increased again. But, with enough official forum bitching it'll come.
By Sieha1 2014-02-20 11:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Thf's tp is useful? meh.

At best ws then switch for one hit. It is not that hard. The increase from 7 to 12 is really small percent of a really small drop rate.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2014-02-20 11:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
Thf's tp is useful? meh.

At best ws then switch for one hit. It is not that hard. The increase from 7 to 12 is really small percent of a really small drop rate.

The job isn't a bad DD by any means, its just theres a lot of really stupid terrible and gimp THF's out there, and a lot of stupid sheep parroting what someone else told them is the potential for a job.

But regardless, my feelings on this topic are on the official forums. I still think throwing the entire idea of a TH weapon out the window is the smartest solution, replacing it with a Th Accessory or armor that has a Latent:TH+1 bonus only active when Thief knife is not equipped. But whataever.
[+]
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-20 11:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sieha1 said: »
The increase from 7 to 12 is really small percent of a really small drop rate.
If you are killing a boss that has a really small drop rate, and it's really time consuming to pop that boss, why wouldn't you want to maximize TH? So what if it takes you 10 minutes to kill something instead of 5 if the pop takes hours/days to acquire?
[+]
 Valefor.Oxt
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-20 12:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Karbuncle said: »
a Latent:TH+1 bonus only active when Thief knife is not equipped.

I like it
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-02-20 12:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

or just make TK augmentable...
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 13:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
Needs moar ilvl oynos rly. Who even cared about the thf knife, if you're killing something with it equipped then kill speed/DPS never mattered anyway aka behemoth.

Oh hellll yes, I'd be FAR more interested in that for any time I'm out truly solo. And the Oynos proc is unreliable enough that it's hard to just equip the weapon to get haste and swap it back out, so it unfortunately does make some sense to keep it equipped offhand and have the proc overwrite itself so haste doesn't drop. I'd be THRILLED to replace it with a sub-optimal (but at least bumped up to i-level tier) DPS weapon with the same effect.

On the other hand, I barely care about THF knife. Like others said, TP in full TH if it's something costly/annoying to pop and TH matters more than timely killing (say, KB, Shinryu, Kirin for W.Legs, Pandemonium Warden, Salvage NMs for armor, etc). In fact, lower DPS and intentionally gimping yourself is arguably BETTER on those mobs; longer kill = more swings and more chances at Feint/SA/TA = more chances for TH+ proc. If it's not one of those rare cases, hit the thing in your full TH gear once and be satisfied. The difference between TH6 and TH6+x is pretty damn small.

Other thoughts:

- If you want some compromise, put TH hands/feet in your SA/TA macros (knowingly decreasing SA TA damage) since TH+ proc happens more often on those abilities. In Dyna on THF/DNC, I apply TH by putting TH gear in my steps macros.

- Are people who are still complaining about Thief's Knife also still TPing in gimpy Raider's +2 feet?

- If you really want to get a hit in with TH7 on an NM or something (and not fulltime TH gear for maximum additional procs), just deal with the one time TP loss from swapping Thief's Knife out for something else. Not really that big of a deal.
By Pantafernando 2014-02-20 13:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Treasure hunter is a psycological effect.

You dont stack it to get drops. You stack it to be able to blame se for shitty drop rate.

Above th5, players luck >> "luck" provide by a random effect.
[+]
First Page 2 3