SE: "no Longer Need To Use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » SE: "no longer need to use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)
SE: "no longer need to use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)
 Sylph.Peldin
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-20 13:52:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Above th5, players luck >> "luck" provide by a random effect.
Quote:
The difference between TH6 and TH6+x is pretty damn small.
Quote:
The increase from 7 to 12 is really small

Anyone wanna take TH4+ or TH8+ ??

lol
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-02-20 14:25:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Oxt said: »
Asura.Karbuncle said: »
a Latent:TH+1 bonus only active when Thief knife is not equipped.

I like it

Perfect^
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-02-20 14:26:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Quote:
Above th5, players luck >> "luck" provide by a random effect.
Quote:
The difference between TH6 and TH6+x is pretty damn small.
Quote:
The increase from 7 to 12 is really small

Anyone wanna take TH4+ or TH8+ ??

lol

People will definitely take the person with the highest TH! You're correct! Remember when people spent millions on Millionaire Desk cause they thought it gave you better luck? HA. Completely BS but people took that chance as will people take the person with the highest TH.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 15:34:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Slyshen said: »
People will definitely take the person with the highest TH! You're correct! Remember when people spent millions on Millionaire Desk cause they thought it gave you better luck? HA. Completely BS but people took that chance as will people take the person with the highest TH.

You're... missing the entire point. Obviously with all other things being equal, you'd rather take the higher amount of TH. But all other things are not equal, and the tiny - perhaps not even statistically significant - increase in drop rates from higher tiers of TH (beyond hitting the mob once in TH gear) is simply not enough of a benefit to make TPing in crappy TH weapons/gear worth it at the expense of better DD for most situations. (Nor is the benefit really worth it to worry much about getting another subpar THF knife that's still not going to be your best DD offhand in exchange for a near imperceptible increase in drop rate from a small chance of additional TH+ procs)

It's also not a choice about comparing a "person" to another person. None of the TH+ gear is particularly hard to get, so every geared THF has the same baseline TH value. If anything, if we're talking about comparing players and TH, I'm choosing (1) the THF who understands that maximizing TH at all costs is usually stupid, over (2) the THF who might get me an extra tier of TH proc because they fulltime gimpy TH gear.

People overpaying for Millionaire's Desk years ago proves nothing. I really don't believe that competent leaders these days truly do focus on bringing a THF to max out TH for events that matters (and the leaders who do are probably not leading groups I want to be in). The overall community's lack of care for max TH is evident from the fact that it's honestly pretty hard to convince groups to even bring a single THF to a non-farming event at the expense of a "better DD", and if they do it's highly likely that some of the other aspects of THF (Feint eva-, piercing damage, some additional enmity control, the actually significant increase from having TH6 versus TH0) are a bigger consideration than the tiny difference between base TH6~7 and THwhatever.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-02-20 15:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
I really don't believe that competent leaders these days truly do focus on bringing a THF to max out TH for events that matters

I have yet to meet a competent leader.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 15:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I really don't believe that competent leaders these days truly do focus on bringing a THF to max out TH for events that matters

Sounds like your problem? There are plenty of people who know what they're doing. I don't waste my time playing to appeal to idiots. In fact, I like having ways to detect them so I can avoid wasting my time joining their crappy groups.

That being said, I wasn't under the impression that incompetent leaders were clamoring for THFs to join their events either. Whether they might believe in max TH or not, they're just going to invite the more typical "optimal" setup that probably isn't including a THF.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2014-02-20 15:46:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll take a few bounty shots and call it a day.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 15:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »
I'll take a few bounty shots and call it a day.

Which is just fine for the vast majority of content. Hence the ridiculousness of bad THFs begging for an upgraded Thief's Knife.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-02-20 16:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I believe thf5 is a great change from no th.

In some places, +1 th is worthwhile. In abysssea, its super effective. Its visible when i not equip dread, often seals drop in 3, single drops souls are more often also. With atma of dread, at least imo, or maybe just another psycological effect, but seems a lot common 2 drops of souls, and 4 seals drops.

Adoulin, on the other side, is the worst place for thfs. Nothing worthwhile to th, and all good drops works independently of th, like mega boss drops, with fixed slots.

Imo, if they want to fix that issue, best to first fix the relevance of treasure hunter. Every new content, TH is even less important, that seems like pointless they upgrade thiefs knife.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-02-20 16:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

i bring a thf to everything that drops things effected by th and i fulltime all my th gear

if you're in a large group event, taking away 25-40% of a single sub-par DD's damage works out pretty small in the overall speed of the event(especially if they aren't buffed to begin with)

if you're solo/duo/whatever, it might be more worthwhile to use a damaging weapon, but that relies on you actually doing something after you finish the event quicker(or there being enough mobs you aren't waiting on repops, in the case of sustained farming)

too many people are up on their high horse thinking they're the only person who understands TH, the reality is that there are situations where max TH will be the best choice, and in those situations it'll be nice to not be offhanding a plastic bat
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-20 18:08:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
i bring a thf to everything that drops things effected by th and i fulltime all my th gear

if you're in a large group event, taking away 25-40% of a single sub-par DD's damage works out pretty small in the overall speed of the event(especially if they aren't buffed to begin with)

In which large group (i.e. alliance size) events, exactly, are you using THF and trying for max TH? I'm honestly curious. I really don't know which large events have much benefit from TH.

Main current content of all group sizes:

AA/Zilart high tier missions: If you bring a THF and you can kill easily enough that one of your DD slots' damage is not a big deal, you'd probably be better off doing higher difficulty fights (where your DD probably DOES matter) for much better drops. So unless your group is so good that you can beat VDs no sweat even with a gimped THF as one of your DDs, it's counterproductive to fulltime TH gear. (Also, with the common RNG strat you've already got some TH from repeated Bounty Shot attempts, making choosing a THF just to bring TH a pretty odd decision.)

SKCNM/Skirmish/WKR/WoE farming: not affected by TH at all.

Delve: TH is practically useless, doesn't it only affect airlixir drops off fodder mobs? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't affect armor/weapon/mega boss crafting mats, right? (Not even to get much into the fact that in some zones like Ceizak THF is a pretty damn good mega boss DD thanks to piercing)

ADL farming: Zerg fight means you don't have time to upgrade TH anyway. TH is quite nice for farming pops though - but with the speed at which mobs die, does smacking once with TH6 versus fulltiming TH7 really matter?

Dyna farming: It's pretty well settled that higher quantity of faster kills with TH6 = more money. Hit the thing once with your TH gear (no knife) and be done with it. If this is the reason people reeeealy want a Thief's Knife +1, that's kind of sad.

Salvage farming: If you really need a salvage armor drop, sure, TH away on the appropriate NM. It doesn't affect your boss Linen Coin Purse though, and please shoot me before suggesting slowing things down to maximize TH on single Alex mobs and waste more of my life in Salvage. TH6 is fine.

Voidwatch: Pretty irrelevant to get a fraction of an improvement on an already atrocious chest drop rate, plus most of the time you're probably not even engaged to the mob while waiting for procs then the mob dies instantly once you cap and the DDs zerg. But sure, keep your TH stuff on I guess? Very minor benefit.

Abyssea NMs: Not that this is hard content, but sure farm away with TH. Here's a good place to fulltime TH gear and get more plates/souls/empy weapon upgrade items. But I wouldn't really consider this a "serious event", it's lowman farming.

Legion: I will admit to being no expert since I've barely done the event (do people even regularly run Legion any more?), but (a) don't the mobs die too fast to make TH upgrading matter, and (b) does TH even help/are the drops even relevant (i.e. Arise/Meteor and Abj. drops aren't even affected by TH, right)?

Quote:
the reality is that there are situations where max TH will be the best choice, and in those situations it'll be nice to not be offhanding a plastic bat

I'm glad S-E doesn't seem to agree. They're basically saying here that crazy THFs just won't let it go even though Thief's Knife is ***, so they're going to force people to give it up by making it irrelevant through a TH gear cap. Bravo, S-E. They're helping you help yourself. An intervention.

Also, if I'm fighting something like KB/Tiamat/P.Warden where I truly do want max TH, I DO want a plastic bat to draw that fight out and have more TH+ proc chances. Give me gimpy Thief's Knife and NOT an ilevel decent weapon, please.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-21 06:42:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
(do people even regularly run Legion any more?)
Yes.
Kinda weird you mention Meteor and Abjuration drops but don't mention Duplus Grip, an item that still goes for over 70 mil on some servers. Legion is just a good way for the members in your LS to make some easy cash. You should ask your "competent leader" about it.
By worstplayer 2014-02-21 07:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

meke new trial of the magian quests. for some old school classics, ie; Black belt, Optical Hat, Bounding/Leaping Boots (don't remember which drops from lizzie), empress hairpin, thief's knife etc;
1; upgraded item would replace old one, so no need to full time TH stuffs,
2; would ppl have to earn the original still to upgrade, so ppl would still need get those original items, then do upgrades,
3; could tie trials into RoE quests, ie; aready an roe for doing over valkurm emperor, would lend extra benefit to some old content,
4; in the case of thief's knife, after 'x' amount of progressively harder trials, idk maybe first trial gotta proc th 50 times, next trial get 'x' amount of rare drops etc etc, maybe 10 trials, final version ends up with TH+2, or dare I say +3,
5; would make use of some of that old school stuff we hang onto just for sake of nostalgia and make them more viable options still

or am I just hoping to much that SE would make use of potential of systems and gear that is already there

didn't read full thread, so apologies if someone already posted this. also, NINURTA'S SASH!
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
Server: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2014-02-21 07:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »

Thorny in morality days, Failure in volume days, Ironguy (several linkshells)

I'm sure there are many, many more, but those are the counterexamples that immediately spring to mind.
By Jetackuu 2014-02-21 07:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I would be safe to assert that an upgraded knife for farming would be the main reason people would want it.

Personally I think they should just let people augment it, or trade it in a quest for a better one and while doing so makes them ineligible to reget the original from the NM.

That being said, there's a lot of people that still think TH is a myth, so this discussion is going to be whack no matter what.
 Asura.Escorian
Server: Asura
user: Escorian
By Asura.Escorian 2014-02-21 09:00:38
Link | Quote | Reply

My guess is on SE using the af3 119 to solve the th issue.
 Sylph.Peldin
By Sylph.Peldin 2014-02-21 09:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

After everyone getting Widescan, I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of TH gear in the future and just give TH to everyone. Of course, they won't do this unless they decide to rehaul half the THF job abilities to make them competitive.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-02-21 09:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

All jobs already have access to some form of TH without subbing /thf.
 Valefor.Oxt
Server: Valefor
user: oxt77
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-21 10:04:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said: »

Do you mean inside of Abyssea?

I apologize but how does COR, DNC, DRK, DRG, NIN, SAM and WAR get TH without subbing /thf?

Not trying to troll - ty in advance for an answer.
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
Server: Lakshmi
user: Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2014-02-21 10:05:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Tarutaru Sash with Treasure Hunter +1 augment. i think is what he means.
 Valefor.Oxt
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-21 10:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Reddwarf said: »

Yes sir, but the 7 jobs I mentioned above aren't listed in the Tarutaru Sash.

Does he maybe mean Treasure Hound from Kupo Powers?
 Lakshmi.Reddwarf
Server: Lakshmi
user: Reddwarf
By Lakshmi.Reddwarf 2014-02-21 10:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust NPCs maybe?
 Valefor.Oxt
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-21 10:17:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust NPCs maybe?

Perhaps that's what he meant, but then all jobs wouldn't have access to TH without /THF since you can't summon Nanaa Mihgo everywhere.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-02-21 10:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Peldin said: »
Quote:
(do people even regularly run Legion any more?)
Yes.
Kinda weird you mention Meteor and Abjuration drops but don't mention Duplus Grip, an item that still goes for over 70 mil on some servers. Legion is just a good way for the members in your LS to make some easy cash. You should ask your "competent leader" about it.

Yep, no leaders are smart because I forgot to cite a super rare item from an event I already said I don't do. Let's over-exaggerate the huge benefit of fulltiming TH7 gear in events based on one extremely rare item.

Nobody is arguing not to use all the TH you can for crazy rare drops or notably difficult/annoying to pop NMs. But for those situations, what would it really matter if your Thief's Knife has an extra DMG+70 and ilevel dagger skill? It's utterly irrelevant whether Thief's Knife could get a damage update for that use.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-02-21 10:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much, even Nanaa gives everyone TH1 now.
 Valefor.Oxt
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-21 10:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much, even Nanaa gives everyone TH1 now.

Can't summon Trust NPCs in the past.

EDIT: What if I’m DNC/NIN fighting amphiptere for hides. I wouldn’t get the benefit of Treasure Hound, Nanaa or Tarutaru Sash unless I /THF.
 Sylph.Krsone
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2014-02-21 12:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Krsone said: »
Needs moar ilvl oynos rly. Who even cared about the thf knife, if you're killing something with it equipped then kill speed/DPS never mattered anyway aka behemoth.

Oh hellll yes, I'd be FAR more interested in that for any time I'm out truly solo. And the Oynos proc is unreliable enough that it's hard to just equip the weapon to get haste and swap it back out, so it unfortunately does make some sense to keep it equipped offhand and have the proc overwrite itself so haste doesn't drop. I'd be THRILLED to replace it with a sub-optimal (but at least bumped up to i-level tier) DPS weapon with the same effect.

On the other hand, I barely care about THF knife. Like others said, TP in full TH if it's something costly/annoying to pop and TH matters more than timely killing (say, KB, Shinryu, Kirin for W.Legs, Pandemonium Warden, Salvage NMs for armor, etc). In fact, lower DPS and intentionally gimping yourself is arguably BETTER on those mobs; longer kill = more swings and more chances at Feint/SA/TA = more chances for TH+ proc. If it's not one of those rare cases, hit the thing in your full TH gear once and be satisfied. The difference between TH6 and TH6+x is pretty damn small.

Other thoughts:

- If you want some compromise, put TH hands/feet in your SA/TA macros (knowingly decreasing SA TA damage) since TH+ proc happens more often on those abilities. In Dyna on THF/DNC, I apply TH by putting TH gear in my steps macros.

- Are people who are still complaining about Thief's Knife also still TPing in gimpy Raider's +2 feet?

- If you really want to get a hit in with TH7 on an NM or something (and not fulltime TH gear for maximum additional procs), just deal with the one time TP loss from swapping Thief's Knife out for something else. Not really that big of a deal.

Bit late on the reply but Oynos doesn’t overwrite itself, surprised no one else already said. That doesn't mean that I don't want an ilvl version still I do, as swapping weapons out still resets tp and cancels aftermaths.

The best solution imo is a quest which requires something like a THF knife + Oynos + WKR dagger or something in reward you get a TH1 knife with Oynos effect with similar stats to the WKR dagger which would beat the Delve dagger only when you're benefitting from the haste.
 Sylph.Kawar
user: Kawar
By Sylph.Kawar 2014-02-21 13:16:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone link me to the topic on the ffxi forum so i can take part in talking about this feedback so i can ask a question or two.
 Valefor.Oxt
By Valefor.Oxt 2014-02-21 13:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kawar said: »
Can someone link me to the topic on the ffxi forum so I can take part in talking about this feedback so I can ask a question or two.

Here you go