SE: "no Longer Need To Use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » SE: "no longer need to use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)
SE: "no longer need to use Thief’s Knife" (eventually)
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2014-03-14 10:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Yep, no leaders are smart because I forgot to cite a super rare item from an event I already said I don't do. Let's over-exaggerate the huge benefit of fulltiming TH7 gear in events based on one extremely rare item.

Nobody is arguing not to use all the TH you can for crazy rare drops or notably difficult/annoying to pop NMs. But for those situations, what would it really matter if your Thief's Knife has an extra DMG+70 and ilevel dagger skill? It's utterly irrelevant whether Thief's Knife could get a damage update for that use.
So in an event where you have multiple people, where drops are NOT 100%, you'll save yourself an extra 2 minutes of time by replacing "lolTH" with a "heavy DD", just because "TH is a joke lol".

idiot.

Do you not believe in modern medicine either, and just rely on prayer for healing?
 Phoenix.Suji
Server: Phoenix
user: suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-03-14 21:57:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Yep, no leaders are smart because I forgot to cite a super rare item from an event I already said I don't do. Let's over-exaggerate the huge benefit of fulltiming TH7 gear in events based on one extremely rare item.

Nobody is arguing not to use all the TH you can for crazy rare drops or notably difficult/annoying to pop NMs. But for those situations, what would it really matter if your Thief's Knife has an extra DMG+70 and ilevel dagger skill? It's utterly irrelevant whether Thief's Knife could get a damage update for that use.
So in an event where you have multiple people, where drops are NOT 100%, you'll save yourself an extra 2 minutes of time by replacing "lolTH" with a "heavy DD", just because "TH is a joke lol".

idiot.

Do you not believe in modern medicine either, and just rely on prayer for healing?
I don't see how you interpreted Capu's statement to mean he doesn't believe in TH. He even says to max TH for rare/valuable stuff.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-03-14 22:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

When people want MOAR drops, they get a THF. When they want MOAR DD, they get something else. When I get asked to be THF, I'm usually asked if I have max TH gear, not MAXDDMANDAUiLVDELVE onry.

I for one, full-time my thief's knife when I farm because I don't want to lose my TP or worry about having to switch weapons after every engagement. I want a new knife so my damage won't be gimped, cause it's obvious that having x2 iLv weapons makes killing go by a lot quicker, and not to mention I wouldn't mind having a white box around my weapon or even just a 'new knife.'
 Phoenix.Capuchin
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-03-15 00:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll save your group even less time by having a Thief's Knife with iLevel damage versus the crappy damage knife we have now, so what's your point? If focusing on TH is your goal, go nuts, use Thief's Knife. Who cares if it's upgraded to item level status or not? If TH has some benefit but it's not really a big deal, you're absolutely fine hitting the mob once with your hands/feet equipped and just forgetting about the knife.

And what the hell kind of events are you doing where every mob has important drops that require maximum TH? When are they coming to my FFXI? I certainly hope you're not fulltiming TH gear in Delve for that sweet, sweet airlixir from fodder mobs...

Quote:

I'm not really religious, but I am a little skeptical of modern medicine when we have perfectly good leeches.

Ragnarok.Slyshen said: »
When people want MOAR drops, they get a THF. When they want MOAR DD, they get something else. When I get asked to be THF, I'm usually asked if I have max TH gear, not MAXDDMANDAUiLVDELVE onry.

Exactly. If TH is important, NO ONE CARES IF YOUR THIEF'S KNIFE IS LEVEL 1 OR ITEM LEVEL 115!

Weaker is actually better, milk that mob for all the TH you can! Why are you trying to kill it faster if it's so important to get TH upgrade procs??
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-03-15 00:20:40
Link | Quote | Reply

the question isn't about upgrades, it's about the guaranteed point from having thief's knife on

if you're doing legion, adl, <insert similar situations>.. your damage isn't very likely to change the amount of kills done in your run, but the thief's knife will change the projected loot(admittedly minimally) from your run

if you're using it anyway, getting an ilevel weapon instead or being able to cap TH without giving up the sub weapon slot can do nothing but good

is this really that difficult of a concept
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-03-15 00:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't get why it's such a big deal for anyone. Maybe your group kills ADL in 34 and a half seconds instead of 35 if you got that extra 0.2% damage from your THF having a better offhand? It's just so utterly insignificant.
[+]
 Odin.Boleslaus
Server: Odin
user: boleslaus
By Odin.Boleslaus 2014-03-15 00:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I would rather do dmv2 vd w/o thf then waste time doing normal with thf. Any other content is insignificant because mobs die to quick to get th12
[+]
By Ajerian 2014-03-15 00:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I use THF as side job, but I've found that the low dmg of Thief's Knife paired with another low dmg dagger gives you the time to increase TH. Perfect example I'm 3/6 on savory shank drops on Behemoth because I get TH past 11. Although, it doesn't always work. I have not used THF in any high tier battles yet so I couldn't speak to whether or not the same rules apply in the times battle fields.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-03-15 01:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

TH does affect drops in high tier battlefields, but higher difficulty affects them WAY more. So if your goal is to get the good drops, you'd be much better served by using stronger DDs and bumping the difficulty up than you would be using a THF on low drop rate lower difficulty fights.

If your group is SO good that you can beat VD battlefields even using a DD slot for a THF, more power to you. That's not very likely in today's FFXI though.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2014-03-15 01:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Boleslaus said: »
I would rather do dmv2 vd w/o thf then waste time doing normal with thf. Any other content is insignificant because mobs die to quick to get th12
Well its a good thing SE forced innate TH in VD battlefields, so you dont need a THF for VD fights.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-03-15 02:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Except for that Larceny on Manafont to make life easier on D/VD
 Phoenix.Genkaku
user: lostdog
By Phoenix.Genkaku 2014-03-15 02:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

In all fairness Thief Knife has always been situational and with the cap on TH coming it most likely will be a thing of the past. Personally when farming I hardly ever use my knife unless I want to take it slow and build up TH for the super rare drops like w. legs or hq pop items. When farming dynamis it has been my experience that I get more currency and and items with out using my thief knife. In other words the faster you kill the more you get. In high tier fights that TH has some effect on drops you will get the same amount of TH with a DD thief using 119level daggers and gear. Depending on what SE caps TH at most if not all thieves will have cap TH or be able to reach it with out having to even equip Thief Knife. So i say its time to throw away your safety blanket (Thief Knife) and look to the future.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-03-15 02:24:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Oh yeah, I'm not saying THF is useless on AAs. But the reason you bring it isn't for TH (that's a nice side effect). I've also had a decent run on Difficult MR using Feint to help with accuracy, trying to help manage hate with a PLD tank, etc.

For AAs, TH from a Thief is also way less important when you're using RNGs, since Bounty Shot over the course of a long fight will tend to give you TH7+ anyway. And that's coming from a job that most people view as the best DD for the fights anyway.

Phoenix.Genkaku said: »
So i say its time to throw away your safety blanket (Thief Knife) and look to the future.

Yeah that pretty much sums it all up. We're all talking about something completely irrelevant anyway since changes are coming. I think we can all be happy to just be able to toss the knife and not need to worry about it any more with the incoming TH cap.
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-03-15 03:32:19
Link | Quote | Reply

In all fairness Thief Knife has always been situational and with the cap on TH coming it most likely will be a thing of the past. Personally when farming I hardly ever use my knife unless I want to take it slow and build up TH for the super rare drops like w. legs or hq pop items. When farming dynamis it has been my experience that I get more currency and and items with out using my thief knife. In other words the faster you kill the more you get. In high tier fights that TH has some effect on drops you will get the same amount of TH with a DD thief using 119level daggers and gear. Depending on what SE caps TH at most if not all thieves will have cap TH or be able to reach it with out having to even equip Thief Knife. So i say its time to throw away your safety blanket (Thief Knife) and look to the future.
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Oh yeah, I'm not saying THF is useless on AAs. But the reason you bring it isn't for TH (that's a nice side effect). I've also had a decent run on Difficult MR using Feint to help with accuracy, trying to help manage hate with a PLD tank, etc.

For AAs, TH from a Thief is also way less important when you're using RNGs, since Bounty Shot over the course of a long fight will tend to give you TH7+ anyway. And that's coming from a job that most people view as the best DD for the fights anyway.

So i say its time to throw away your safety blanket (Thief Knife) and look to the future.

Yeah that pretty much sums it all up. We're all talking about something completely irrelevant anyway since changes are coming. I think we can all be happy to just be able to toss the knife and not need to worry about it any more with the incoming TH cap.

Okay so is that just your butt buddy from your LS here to back you up or did you make a secondary FFXIAH account just to find someone that agrees with you? Either way it's kind of sad and just makes you look less credible. /comfort
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2014-03-15 05:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sorry it bothers you so much that you won't have to carry your Thief's Knife around for too much longer with the upcoming changes. Guess you'll have to find something else to complain about. How that's a bad thing is beyond me. Everyone who whined about wanting a better Thief's Knife gets what they wanted; use whatever offhand you want and reach the TH cap, no need to gimp your weapon damage.

There's really going to be no difference at all though. People will still use THF when they really want TH. People will still not invite THF if they don't care about TH, like in every current major event: Delve, Skirmish, high tier battlefields, SKCNMs. But hey, enjoy pulling in an extra 3 currency an hour when solo farming Dynamis...

Well its a good thing SE forced innate TH in VD battlefields, so you dont need a THF for VD fights.

I'm pretty sure that the built-in TH on VD fights doesn't go as high as TH7+ from an actual THF (or from repeated Bounty Shot from RNG, a more likely possibility in the common setups people use on these fights). Of course, that kind of makes the point anyway: if the automatic TH that's less than what a real THF could bring to the table makes it so "you dont need a THF for VD fights", then you're pretty much admitting that the difference between having some TH and having maximum TH procs is not really worth considering. So why worry so much about TH6 versus TH7?

It is true though that if you're after armor/weapons in the high tier battlefields, increasing difficulty is absolutely more effective than focusing on applying TH to the mob. If you can manage to also add some TH, great. It's not worth changing a party setup over though, especially when the RNG that everyone wants to use can already add TH on their own.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-03-15 13:49:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Slyshen said: »
Okay so is that just your butt buddy from your LS here to back you up or did you make a secondary FFXIAH account just to find someone that agrees with you? Either way it's kind of sad and just makes you look less credible. /comfort
There is no question that you'll get more currency in dyna if you don't offhand Thief's Knife. This has been well understand for at least three years now.
 Phoenix.Suji
By Phoenix.Suji 2014-03-15 23:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

:/

This thread blows.
[+]