When Should PLD Tank?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » When should PLD tank?
When should PLD tank?
First Page 2 3
 Fenrir.Yuriki
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-06 08:43:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a DNC main. My DNC is well geared with 90 Twash but for a while I've been gearing out my PLD for use in "harder" events, such as Logwatch and, hopefully, upcoming content like Last Stand. My PLD has capped haste, MDT, pretty decent PDT, decent WS, capped skills, etc... I'm currently working on an Ochain (need 49 more CS for second stage) and Almace (will start after Ochain), so for now I'm using Honorbound and Seigneur shield.

Now I'm fairly new to VW but I do have fanatics/fools temps, a few others, and I know how the general flow of battle works. My question is, what fights am I going to want to bring PLD instead of DNC? I'm looking to compare taking into account if my PLD has or hasn't finished Ochain/Almace. Meaning, "DNC is better on this NM if your PLD has no o/a but PLD is better with o/a."

My question arises because I've noticed that all of the VWNM that I've done recently (Qilin being the "hardest") DNC has been tanking instead of PLD. Perhaps the brand new VWNM are a hell of a lot harder but I just didn't see the need for a PLD. I really WANT to use PLD for something (a different change of pace, etc...) but I'm also all about optimising what I can for the situation at hand.

From what I've seen, you're always able to ride fanatics or fools pretty much 100%. For DNC I can swap to 50% MDT (with Shell, of course) during nukes when wearing fanatics and can pop Fan Dance during nasty TP moves if using fools, although if those spells/TP moves were so bad in the first place you'd probably be using the drink that nullifies them instead. My LS also has a 90 Daurdabla BRD so I'd be able to have x2 march and scherzo.

tl;dr What fights/content is PLD tank over DNC tank worth it, and for those scenarios compare DNC tank vs. Ochain/Almace PLD and DNC vs. PLD w/o Ochain/Almace.

Bonus: any WoE or any other content where PLD will fare better than DNC? Assume all events have proper healers and such.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
Server: Phoenix
user: neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2012-01-06 13:46:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this a serious post or a troll?
[+]
 Fenrir.Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-06 13:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm being serious, although I may be wording it wrong. I'm asking what VW and other content mobs essentially REQUIRE a PLD tank as opposed to a blink type tank, lolmpspongemnk, etc... So far, the highest I've gone in VW is Qilin and he did not require a PLD tank.

Not sure how this is a troll.
By mortontony1 2012-01-06 13:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

From reading Sylow's posts, it seems there isn't really a tank in VW. Hate just bounces around on the DDs, using drinks when applicable. Never done it myself, that's just what I understood from what he said, and he seems to have quite a bit of knowledge about that kind of stuff.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-06 13:59:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It's always good to have a pld tank in any VW t3 (jeuno) and higher. Only a few require it tho. Rex and maybe kala? Don't blink tank tho >.> fana says hi
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-06 14:01:04
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD is only necessary in a handful of fights. DDs can tank 80% or more of Voidwatch NMs. They're a safety net, or if you have horrible DDs they are the recommended option.

Kalasutrax and Aello are the only two that I can really think of that become a bit easier with a PLD to tank. Anything else either has a hate reset gimmick or is simply easy enough that a MNK, WAR, DRK, etc. can tank it.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-01-06 14:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

PLD tanks when you get all bst and pup procs and fanatics goes poof.
 Odin.Llewelyn
Server: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-06 14:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if Aello adds require a PLD, but that's what I always saw used. And Kalasutrax doesn't need a PLD. Simple fanatic's zerg works on that, though a PLD may come in handy for those rare fights when you have 5 pup/bst/wyvern breaths up.
 Shiva.Paulu
Server: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2012-01-06 14:11:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Mobs like Aello a PLD makes a nice difference, especially with ochain. Like someone said above, if you proc often there isn't really a tank, just DD's bouncing hate with temps going. I personally prefer having 1 PLD for times when procs are slow though. It does make a nice safety net.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-06 14:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

So Kala, Aello, and Rex are mobs for PLD. Thanks for the responses.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-01-06 14:23:22
Link | Quote | Reply

We had BST hold the adds on Aello, and Aello's shrieking gale does hate reset. But we stunned this.

Kalasutrax we actually ended up having a NIN tank it for a good amount of time with no issues. We stunned weakness and doom of course. Our PLD got pwned by death.

Been avoiding Rex, but I assume aegis PLD is the way to go on him.
 Phoenix.Lucasta
user: lucasta
By Phoenix.Lucasta 2012-01-06 14:25:13
Link | Quote | Reply

99 limit break?... if you have no items to throw and no pet jobs in sight... pld shines for that damned taru. Havent done much voidwatch but outside of that any average pld is just a novelty. hopefully will be revived with the new content but probably not. I think there are only a handful of PLD tanks worth their weight in iron plates out there anyway. I am a career PLD and RDM so the last couple years i have just taken with a grain of salt hoping there are a few more glory days yet to come. Until then i still love PLD and keep trying to make it better.

Is PLD a good tank? sure. This game is about doing the best you can with what you have. If you do better with X job then do it... but dont expect that formula to work for everyone. Diversity makes everything more interesting.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-06 14:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Near 1k auto-attacks unblocked from Rex to an Aegis PLD last time I attempted, though I was only 95 at the time. Not sure if Ochain would be better.

Edit: Without PDT gear. I'd imagine if I had it on it would've made a huge difference, of course.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-06 14:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

You're definitely right about the 99 LB. It was a blast being able to actually use PLD for something... But of course the DD couldn't go all out. That was more due to the nature of the BCNM than PLD hate, though.

3 tails and all nukers was definitely an easier fight though.
 Fenrir.Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-06 14:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

1k auto attacks? Holy crap, that sounds fun.
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-06 14:37:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Well like I said, I wasn't wearing PDT gear. Apparently a lot of his TP moves have hate reset so Creed Cuirass +2's 10% DT wasn't kicking in either. Would've helped a lot to lower those down to ~500.
By Quiznor 2012-01-06 14:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
We had BST hold the adds on Aello, and Aello's shrieking gale does hate reset. But we stunned this.

Kalasutrax we actually ended up having a NIN tank it for a good amount of time with no issues. We stunned weakness and doom of course. Our PLD got pwned by death.

Been avoiding Rex, but I assume aegis PLD is the way to go on him.

I love how you make it sound the PLD only got killed by Death because he was a PLD,and not another job
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-06 14:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Llewelyn said: »
Near 1k auto-attacks unblocked from Rex to an Aegis PLD last time I attempted, though I was only 95 at the time. Not sure if Ochain would be better.

Edit: Without PDT gear. I'd imagine if I had it on it would've made a huge difference, of course.
Aegis is the way to go with Rex :/
He gets 600ish unblocked hits but you should be blocking decently. Even uncapped shield skill I tanked him for a good 10min solo before everyone died to CS meteor. The problem isn't really not dying on PLD. It's not letting everyone else die/mpk the group. A good cure cheat set and timed JA's help a lot in the fight. I used Mekira Meikogai for most of the fight tho because I knew I wouldn't get a full -10% DT from AF3. I would use a more pure -DT tanking set for this fight
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-06 15:13:16
Link | Quote | Reply

As much as I really love PLD and have invested quite a bit of time into my own, I feel as if, barring T6 Jeuno(which I have no experience to speak of), MNKs make better tanks against anything that can be countered. I've always thought that the additional HP was more useful than anything else in situations like that. Things like Flank Opening are much more forgiving against MNKs.

That said, there can also be differences in party sizes/setups, and if you don't foresee the procs flowing smoothly, PLD are better at holding things while your group works on that. In that sense, I'd say PLD is ultimately your best bet when in a lower-man situation.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-06 15:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Botulus Rex is certainly not an NM where PLD is useful. They won't be capable of maintaining hate, and will essentially only be leeching.

Same can essentially be said about Ig-Alima.

Those are really the only two NMs dangerous enough to warrant a PLD fulltime, and a PLD cannot tank them effectively.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-06 15:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Botulus Rex is certainly not an NM where PLD is useful. They won't be capable of maintaining hate, and will essentially only be leeching.

Same can essentially be said about Ig-Alima.

Those are really the only two NMs dangerous enough to warrant a PLD fulltime, and a PLD cannot tank them effectively.
^ this
wait what ?
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2012-01-06 15:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware that Pld just buys wiggle room for when procs are slow or an alliance isn't top notch. Not sure why we have to repeat it 4000 times as if it's some amazing discovery.

Dnc however does not replace Pld in the few places you'd want to bring Pld. They simply lack the proper hate management and Damage management (capped 88% MDT, more PDT/shield blocks/JAs), as well as the HP. They also don't have the damage output to replace a melee DD tank.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-06 15:53:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ig-Alima actually isn't that bad usually. Just your normal zerg fight and hope fanatic's keeps coming. Used that when most people were still 95 and won.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-06 15:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said: »
They also don't have the damage output to replace a melee DD tank.

Actually, they do. But doing so turns the DNC into a glass cannon that will die if tapped too hard. Which, isn't really a problem if Fanatic's is up, but as soon as it wears...

This is actually why I usually die (when I do) on DNC in VW. Fanatic's Wears and the mob has a field day with my paper-thin defenses. Popping Fan Dance just prolongs the inevitable :P

You can certainly play DNC more survivably in VW, but at that point, you're just wasting a slot in the alliance because you're really not useful for procs or damage at that point.
 Phoenix.Neosutra
By Phoenix.Neosutra 2012-01-06 19:23:43
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not coming anywhere close to a competent DD, and don't insult us by pretending you do. I've no patience for 2-3 pages of "but this one time I outparsed a war in this one VW".

It's not even close.

Dnc is there for procs if there at all. Nothing else.
[+]
 Fenrir.Yuriki
By Fenrir.Yuriki 2012-01-06 19:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Neosutra said: »
You're not coming anywhere close to a competent DD, and don't insult us by pretending you do. I've no patience for 2-3 pages of "but this one time I outparsed a war in this one VW".

It's not even close.

Dnc is there for procs if there at all. Nothing else.

More than one, and more than WAR.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-01-06 19:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

DD tank with fanatics.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-06 19:59:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol, parses as evidence. DNC can hold its own bro, I don't know why you're so mad about it.
 Bismarck.Sylow
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-01-06 20:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm virtually always in the top 3 on DNC. If the DDs are incompetent, it's not even a contest, I come out on top 100% of the time, even if I die in the first 5 minutes.

If the DDs are competent, it's pretty much guaranteed that I'll come out in the top 3 (provided I survive, although it's pretty common I'll still come out in the top 3 even dead for 1/3 of the fight or more).

The only "insulting" happening here is you insulting your own intelligence by underestimating the firepower of a well-geared, well-played Dancer under Fanatic's Drinks.

That said, DNC can't really "tank" anything in voidwatch, because as soon as Fanatic's is gone, survival chance is 50/50.
[+]
First Page 2 3