Is There A Point In PLD Anymore?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Is there a point in PLD anymore?
Is there a point in PLD anymore?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 13 14 15
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-22 16:56:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I tank as both PLD and DRK on a regular basis, here is a list of what I use for each:

HNM
Fafnir- DRK/sam
Nidhogg- Drk/nin
King Behemoth- PLD/drk
Aspid- DRK/nin
Cerberus- Drk/nin
Khimaira- PLD/nin
Tiamat- Drk/nin(solo tank pld can be better)
Dark Ixion- PLD/nin
Sandworm- DRK/nin

Sky
Genbu- Drk/sam
Suzaku- Drk/nin
Seiryu- Drk/nin
Byakko- Drk/nin

Sea
JoT- PLD/nin
JoFort- PLD/nin or just use rdm for low man kiting
JoFaith- PLD/nin or BlM, depends how many ppl
JoH- PLD/nin
JoP- PLD/drk or /war
JoJ- Zerg
JoL- PLD/nin

Limbus
Omega- DRK/nin
Ultima- PLD/nin

Einherjar
Odin- PLD/nin

Abysea-
DRK for everything

That covers almost all end game that's currently out. I'd say pld is still viable.
[+]
By Zekko 2010-08-22 16:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

People still kill HNMS?
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-22 16:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't SE say, in an update or interview, that some jobs would be playing "catch up" on the way to lv99 ?

I think I remember reading about this, not sure from where exactly though... also, I think it was in regards to SAM and other DDs IIRC.

But either way, who knows... I guess we'll see eventually.
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-22 17:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Nidhogg, KB, Sandworm(for Vbelt + ancient torque), Aspid, and Tiamat are all worth killing. I dont think they're all worth camping with your entire LS for full duration windows, but if you put a mule there and they pop you'd certainly kill it.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
Server: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-22 17:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

since when is Sam playing "catch up"? lol
 Shiva.Xet
Server: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-08-22 17:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm i have been tending to low man a fair bit with alot of ppl and few blms or stunners in general etc.

Still think its useful.

Alot of time i do stuff where you can potentially *** up having hate in 1~2 places is still better then your mob being a spinning top.

PLD is still useful just no way near as much.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-22 17:02:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
since when is Sam playing "catch up"? lol

I didn't say SAM playing "catch up" ... it would be other DDs doing the "catch up" to SAM if anything...
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-22 17:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Can't really say x job is viable when you don't cover all the other options. SAM can tank Tiamat and Ixion better than PLDs can, Temperance is more efficient manaburning, Faith is destroyed by a MNK etc. Only really Prudence/Hope/Love make use out of a PLD, (and prudence can be manaburned). It's still useful if x job isn't there to outperform it, but it's a slippery slope.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-08-22 17:06:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
a DD with a PDT set
This is how I play my PLD/SAM.

Did 80% of the damage of our main DDs, about 9% of total to their 11-12%, while serving purposes as a self-sufficient puller-protector.

I'd rather have a PLD/SAM than a single DD/NIN.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-22 17:07:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xet said:
Hmmm i have been tending to low man a fair bit with alot of ppl and few blms or stunners in general etc.

Still think its useful.

Alot of time i do stuff where you can potentially *** up having hate in 1~2 places is still better then your mob being a spinning top.

You say low man then mention multiple BLMs and DDs... I'm guessing ~10 people? That's only lowman on some fairly hefty NMs...

Hate caps, any DDs on the mob will eventually be cotanking whether you like it or not.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-08-22 17:09:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

I think I remember reading about this, not sure from where exactly though... also, I think it was in regards to SAM and other DDs IIRC.

I guess I just misinterpreted that then? It sounded like you meant Sam needs to catch up.
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-22 17:09:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Can't really say x job is viable when you don't cover all the other options. SAM can tank Tiamat and Ixion better than PLDs can, Temperance is more efficient manaburning, Faith is destroyed by a MNK etc. Only really Prudence/Hope/Love make use out of a PLD, (and prudence can be manaburned). It's still useful if x job isn't there to outperform it, but it's a slippery slope.

I said drk to tank tiamat. If you're solo tanking you're not going to melee cause of counter so gtfo with sam.

Sam isn't anywhere near as good as pld on ixion low man. I know a lot of you LSs kill ***with a full alliance but I'm talkin 6 man.

Temperance is immune to magic damage, I'm going to assume you meant Fortitude.

Faith sucks to melee, Aoe massive slow, breakga etc. I don't understand why you wouldnt kite nuke this.

I'm sure prudence can be manaburned but most LSs depop the second add while a pld holds. I'm sure u could kite the ***around the bush but it seems more trouble than its worth.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean its the most effective tactic. I'm talking about using the optimal jobs here.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-22 17:12:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Faith sucks to melee, Aoe massive slow, breakga etc. I don't understand why you wouldnt kite nuke this.
If your WHM doesn't suck he's a joke to straight tank on MNK but manaburning is definitely more idiotproof.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-22 17:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you're arguing PLD wins in lowman scenarios, whereas it's not always true. Depopping Prudence while kiting other around bush as 3 BLMs > depopping while holding as PLD with a party to heal him.
As for Faith I duo'd it in 8~min as MNK and RDM so I have to disagree to kite it. Optimisation varies based on jobs available which is why I said
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
It's still useful if x job isn't there to outperform it, but it's a slippery slope.

In ideal situations other melee jobs will beat PLD. In ideal situations for PLD, it's probably better still to manaburn with a few exceptions.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-08-22 17:14:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Excelior left a major part out

His is an Apoc DRK.

Go back and prepend every mention of using DRK to tank something with 'Apoc' in his post above. It makes a difference in what is and is not tankable DRK/SAM (less, DRK/NIN).
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-22 17:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Well you're arguing PLD wins in lowman scenarios, whereas it's not always true. Depopping Prudence while kiting other around bush as 3 BLMs > depopping while holding as PLD with a party to heal him. As for Faith I duo'd it in 8~min as MNK and RDM so I have to disagree to kite it. Optimisation varies based on jobs available which is why I said
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
It's still useful if x job isn't there to outperform it, but it's a slippery slope.
In ideal situations other melee jobs will beat PLD. In ideal situations for PLD, it's probably better still to manaburn with a few exceptions.

Hmm I havent tried melee faith since the update. I used to do it as drk/nin and sam tanks but the aoe slow really *** shadows and our mages werent always on top of their game. We pretty much just manaburn everything atm but temperance.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-22 17:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Eikechi said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

I guess I just misinterpreted that then? It sounded like you meant Sam needs to catch up.

Maybe I didn't type that very clear...but yeah, by "in regards to SAM and other DDs" I meant to simply mention the comparison between SAM and other DDs, and that it would be the other DDs doing the catch up to SAM.

I'm pretty sure I saw an interview of SE talking about this... gah...can't remember where... but they were saying that SAM was fine, but that they were looking into ways for other jobs to play "catch up" on the way to lv99, or something along those lines. Maybe it was just a dream, who knows...
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-22 17:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Raelia said:
Excelior left a major part out His is an Apoc DRK. Go back and prepend every mention of using DRK to tank something with 'Apoc' in his post above. It makes a difference in what is and is not tankable DRK/SAM (less, DRK/NIN).

Not really. I've tanked most of that stuff before apoc and level 80 cap. Anyone with good gearsets can do it. Relics really arent as amazing as people want to claim.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-08-22 17:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Diabolos.Raelia said:
Excelior left a major part out His is an Apoc DRK. Go back and prepend every mention of using DRK to tank something with 'Apoc' in his post above. It makes a difference in what is and is not tankable DRK/SAM (less, DRK/NIN).

Not really. I've tanked most of that stuff before apoc and level 80 cap. Anyone with good gearsets can do it. Relics really arent as amazing as people want to claim.
It still makes a difference, even if its just 'hey, this guy has an Apoc, let him tank DRK/SAM' versus 'lol, wtf, DRK/SAM tank? yarite...'
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-22 17:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:

Hmm I havent tried melee faith since the update. I used to do it as drk/nin and sam tanks but the aoe slow really *** shadows and our mages werent always on top of their game. We pretty much just manaburn everything atm but temperance.

Yeah a lot easier at 80, think you almost always needed a BRD/WHM/RDM combo prior to update.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-08-22 17:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Well back before the sleep emnity nerf drk/nin generated worlds more hate than pld even without melee. It was always a great tank for ***that didnt double attack frequently.
I remember doing Tiamat a few times where I didnt bring the proper -damage gear for aeriel and the hate still wouldnt budge. Drk could also go from zero hate after roar to capped in less than 2 minutes. I really hate SE ; ;
[+]
 Leviathan.Rihoko
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-08-22 17:34:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey PLD still needed for Dynamis, if groups are still doing Dynamis though. I personally wait to reach lvl99 and we will see what use PLD will serve by looking at activities at that level. It is really hard to guess which sub(s) and what kind of armor will be needed at that time.

I currently use Perle gear for all activities with a little enmity boost when going /WAR, and I care for mage jobs mostly rather than DD jobs while holding hate, in other words I don't care if I lose hate to a DD as they are no more vulnerable, but still mage jobs are, so my focus is protect mage jobs on priority at all costs.

[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-22 17:35:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rihoko said:
Hey PLD still needed for Dynamis, if groups are still doing Dynamis though. I personally wait to reach lvl99 and we will see what use PLD will serve by looking at activities at that level. It is really hard to guess which sub(s) and what kind of armor will be needed at that time.

I currently use Perle gear for all activities with a little enmity boost when going /WAR, and I care for mage jobs mostly rather than DD jobs while holding hate, in other words I don't care if I lose hate to a DD as they are no more vulnerable, but still mage jobs are, so my focus is protect mage jobs on priority at all costs.

wat... PLD's are not needed for dyna at all lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Rihoko
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-08-22 17:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

Oh well, a few PLD (1 or 2) would not hurt right? So as a PLD I can feel myself useful for something.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-22 17:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rihoko said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

Oh well, a few PLD (1 or 2) would not hurt right? So as a PLD I can feel myself useful for something.

I dunno, the worse the group, the more a PLD becomes necessary imo.
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2010-08-22 17:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rihoko said:
I don't care if I lose hate to a DD as they are no more vulnerable, but still mage jobs are, so my focus is protect mage jobs on priority at all costs.
This is a good way to prioritize as PLD/notWAR. My Flash was pretty well consumed by incoming mobs every time it was up, but Sentinel=Spinning Slash was usually enough to turn a mob off a nuke happy BLM.

I think too many PLDs try to cap hate on every mob in Abyssea, spamming voke/flash and blowing Sentinel and Rampart every chance they get. You simply aren't going to keep hate all the time with piercing-bonused DDs and whatnot, not to mention going back to square-one every fifty seconds or less, so the better you can do is to be ready for when you're needed.
 Leviathan.Rihoko
By Leviathan.Rihoko 2010-08-22 17:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

I dunno, the worse the group, the more a PLD becomes necessary imo.

You have a point there I admit.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-08-22 17:44:25
Link | Quote | Reply

we take 1 PLD
Ice is fun with 10-12 total XD

PLD/BLU tanking on Yilbegan makes my day too
course there is 2-3 blu/thf's stacking Cannonball to make holding hate a breeze lol

for non PLD events i got support/mage/dd so im well covered

abyssea i was PLD/SAM and when my gs got closet to cap, i was keeping hate more reg with spinning slash
<3 my Nightfall, had a couple key terror procs lol
but we were fighting bugards
 Shiva.Xet
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-08-22 17:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Shiva.Xet said:

Still think its useful.

You say low man then mention multiple BLMs and DDs... I'm guessing ~10 people? That's only lowman on some fairly hefty NMs...

Hate caps, any DDs on the mob will eventually be cotanking whether you like it or not.

Sorry i mean like 1~2 by a few. Trying to think and draw badly in MS paint at the same time um.. Like pld/nin ddx3 mage x2 is lowman for me or swap a mage or dd for a bard or cor.
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2010-08-22 17:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd take PLDs to tank Gulool Ja Ja or any other ToAU beastmen king. I'd take one to Khimaira, Cerberus and Hydra too.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 13 14 15