Is There A Point In PLD Anymore?

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Is there a point in PLD anymore?
Is there a point in PLD anymore?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-10-10 02:04:17
Link | Quote | Reply

These threads trolling derailing and plain unfunny banter and circlejerking make BG's "Spam" Forums look normal ⌐ ⌐;

But really 14 pages and theres still some shred of the original topic? Guys be slippin
 Jar
By Jar 2010-10-22 16:40:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Trangnai said:
sub sch and main heal! lolololololololololololol enough with the trolling. thought it can be taken in my serious note as well.

On a serious note.

1) Improve PLD's DD abilities.

Paladin, though the strongest tank in the game has one of the highest str scores and can equip most if not all the best heavy DD gear in the game. Why not add some pld only abilities to add spice to there DD ability? Give the plds reason to wear something that isnt 100% defensive? PLD has an A+ sword skill, An A- Club and staff, and a B Great Sword afterall.

2) Improve PLD's support/healing abilities.

For me, at least, pld has always had a backup healing role in other ff games. while sub jobs help pld heal and support, pld could easily have this role improved. possibly becoming a frontline healer/DD hybrid in exp pts. New divine magic could also be added to support/heal. A new JA to increae Enmity when doing so could also be added.

Just some ideas lol.

SE made it so PLD cant equip good clubs or staves anymore

and on the DD note <_< i vote all pld get Torcleaver and use our massive VIT to make DRK look lul.( im working on WoE one for my DRK but i could see me using it on PLD too lol)
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-22 17:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

lolVIT
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
Server: Ifrit
user: Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-10-22 18:08:21
Link | Quote | Reply

VanaFest.2010 said:

Up until now, most job adjustments have been implemented with ease of party-forming in mind. From this point onwards, we plan to shift the focus towards ease of participation in endgame content. The role of each job will also come under review.

[...]Our goal is to achieve-without sacrificing the uniqueness of each job-greater ease of participation in endgame content and provide the opportunity for all participants to contribute equally.
This seems to say, "SE doesn't want any particular job to be a must-have for a majority of contents." i.e. Don't need to use a PLD (or substitute any one job of your choice). So, in a sense, PLD becomes "less needed" by SE's choice.

Yet, it doesn't preclude using PLD.
VanaFest.2010 said:
With the level cap increase ushering in more powerful enemies than ever before, our highest priority will be to ensure that paladins maintain their current level of effectiveness in their established role.
This seems to say SE would like PLDs to continue function as it was at the time of the announcement (March 2010): tanks with some DD and curing capabilities.

But, FFXI players are jaded and don't trust SE, right? So, what are the actual experiences of using PLD these days?

AbysMisar run: Tuskertrap, Flame Skimmer, Asanbosam, Athamas, Avalerion, etc., plus random stuff we aggro'ed.
Code
Damage Summary
Player_______________Total_Dmg___Damage_%
COR->WHM__________________5971_____1.46_%
RDM_______________________2881_____0.71_%
BLM______________________21357_____5.23_%
Itazura_PLD/NIN__________56811____13.92_%
BLM/RDM__________________47150____11.55_%
THF/NIN__________________34950_____8.56_%
RNG/NIN__________________52504____12.86_%
RDM_(2-box)______________20536_____5.03_%
BLM_(2-box)______________42302____10.36_%
SAM/NIN__________________48147____11.80_%
RDM/WHM____________________230_____0.06_%
PLD/NIN__________________41586____10.19_%
BLM/RDM__________________32392_____7.94_%

Code
Curing (Whm spells or equivalent)
Player___________Cured_(Sp)
COR->WHM______________9325_
RDM/BLM_______________1154_
BLM___________________1482_
Itazura_PLD/NIN______41536_
WHM/RDM______________49959_
BLM/RDM________________161_
RDM_(2-box)___________3558_
RDM__________________18845_
PLD/NIN______________59980_
BLM/RDM________________787_

Well. What do you know? Looks like the PLDs in my LS did a bit of damage and a bit of curing. (And, a bit of tanking, of course.)

Whether you want to use PLD or not is up to you; it's not absolutely needed, but it pretty much can do what SE had indicated it's supposed to able to do.

Plus, it's fun. Perhaps that's the real point of playing as a Paladin.

Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-22 18:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is a much better "tank" and DD than PLD on all of those NMs though <_> not to mention other jobs.
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-22 18:33:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Seriously though, i see this thread all the goddamn time >_< Im 99.9% sure Flion just made this thread to troll lol
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Xenhas
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Xenhas
By Gilgamesh.Xenhas 2010-10-22 18:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
VanaFest.2010 said:

Up until now, most job adjustments have been implemented with ease of party-forming in mind. From this point onwards, we plan to shift the focus towards ease of participation in endgame content. The role of each job will also come under review.

[...]Our goal is to achieve-without sacrificing the uniqueness of each job-greater ease of participation in endgame content and provide the opportunity for all participants to contribute equally.
This seems to say, "SE doesn't want any particular job to be a must-have for a majority of contents." i.e. Don't need to use a PLD (or substitute any one job of your choice). So, in a sense, PLD becomes "less needed" by SE's choice.

Yet, it doesn't preclude using PLD.
VanaFest.2010 said:
With the level cap increase ushering in more powerful enemies than ever before, our highest priority will be to ensure that paladins maintain their current level of effectiveness in their established role.
This seems to say SE would like PLDs to continue function as it was at the time of the announcement (March 2010): tanks with some DD and curing capabilities.

But, FFXI players are jaded and don't trust SE, right? So, what are the actual experiences of using PLD these days?

AbysMisar run: Tuskertrap, Flame Skimmer, Asanbosam, Athamas, Avalerion, etc., plus random stuff we aggro'ed.
Code
Damage Summary
Player_______________Total_Dmg___Damage_%
COR->WHM__________________5971_____1.46_%
RDM_______________________2881_____0.71_%
BLM______________________21357_____5.23_%
Itazura_PLD/NIN__________56811____13.92_%
BLM/RDM__________________47150____11.55_%
THF/NIN__________________34950_____8.56_%
RNG/NIN__________________52504____12.86_%
RDM_(2-box)______________20536_____5.03_%
BLM_(2-box)______________42302____10.36_%
SAM/NIN__________________48147____11.80_%
RDM/WHM____________________230_____0.06_%
PLD/NIN__________________41586____10.19_%
BLM/RDM__________________32392_____7.94_%

Code
Curing (Whm spells or equivalent)
Player___________Cured_(Sp)
COR->WHM______________9325_
RDM/BLM_______________1154_
BLM___________________1482_
Itazura_PLD/NIN______41536_
WHM/RDM______________49959_
BLM/RDM________________161_
RDM_(2-box)___________3558_
RDM__________________18845_
PLD/NIN______________59980_
BLM/RDM________________787_

Well. What do you know? Looks like the PLDs in my LS did a bit of damage and a bit of curing. (And, a bit of tanking, of course.)

Whether you want to use PLD or not is up to you; it's not absolutely needed, but it pretty much can do what SE had indicated it's supposed to able to do.

Plus, it's fun. Perhaps that's the real point of playing as a Paladin.

looks like your thf and rng *** suck
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
Server: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-22 19:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Xenhas said:
^

Though I do enjoy when people try this.
 Ifrit.Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-10-22 19:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Xenhas said:
What it really looks like is that the THF and SAM weren't Lv.85 at that run. lol. Also, the RNG was probably running around looking for other NMs half of the time, so of course his damage output would be lower.

Anyway, the data isn't meant to show that PLDs are super DDs. The takeaway is actually that the PLDs can output useful damage (esp. when lacking other DDs), while providing a bit more security and curing power.

We're just a social LS with two Abyssea runs per week; our tendency is to default to more safety over more damage output.

That makes PLD tanks a good fit for us, since the cost of failure is pretty high--it takes us on average a week or two to build those multi-key item pop sets, depending on competition for NMs that drop them.

So, taking a bit longer each fight is much better than losing pop item/set, especially on those NMs which need multiple key items to spawn.

I'd imagine for more hardcore endgame LSs that can farm three full-sets per zone every day or two, it'd be important to finish fights quickly so they can squeeze in more NMs. Those LS's may not find our cautious approach using PLDs to be as attractive.
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2010-10-22 19:34:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
RDM is a much better "tank" and DD than PLD on all of those NMs though <_> not to mention other jobs.
I'm sure no where in his post did he say pld was the best tank to have nor was it a necessary job to bring.

What hes trying to show is that it can be an acceptable job to *consider* bringing in abyssea. As he showed with his quotes that SE still wants pld to be *able* to be an effective tank with higher NMs.

IMO, SE has given pld all the tools to be an awesome tank, the problem is the game mechanics. All jobs including pld have a hate ceiling, if it could surpass that I could see pld being a wanted spot again, because honestly youll be doing more damage with a pld holding hate always vs JA/ni/ichi/pdt set swapping all the time you're on a DD job tanking.

*note* I think that parse is bias and really only showing what a good player on pld can do, but the bias is toward other jobs that arent being played effectively. The sam/rng/blm would stomp all over a pld on those squishy mobs tbh.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-10-22 19:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

What PLD needs:
*Fast Cast (at least II)
*Good spammable enmity spells.

What SE gives PLD:
*Not needed "OHSHI" JAs

Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-10-22 20:02:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Remember its not all about holding hate, sometimes its about survivability. And PLD's have a lot of nifty tools everyone seems to be ignoring simply because they can't generate hate as well as a DD/tank can.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-22 20:03:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting how some people here think that the VIT stat is significant for tanking.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-22 20:12:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Also why the *** do you have that many people for the NMs you listed? Holy christ.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-22 20:14:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Interesting how some people here think that the VIT stat is significant for tanking.

Mnk has the same vit as pld, but is alphabetized first. Mnk is clearly the better tank because of this.
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-10-22 20:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Hitoseijuro said:
*note* I think that parse is bias and really only showing what a good player on pld can do, but the bias is toward other jobs that arent being played effectively. The sam/rng/blm would stomp all over a pld on those squishy mobs tbh.
Not exactly wrong, but not exactly right, either.

One BLM was 2-boxed, RNG wasn't really there since he was often running around looking for other NMs while we were fighting, and, some of the members were not Lv.85.--including the SAM, THF and one of the (non 2-box) BLMs, IIRC. i.e. The other jobs were played OK, for their levels.

(By the way, the RNG was played correctly, since the most useful thing he could do is to find our next target while we fight--he has the gear to do damage when that's needed more.)

It's a social LS; not everyone has every job at cap three days after the latest level cap increase.

And, as I said, a PLD can contribute meaningful damage (esp. when lacking other DDs), not that it owns all.

There's also something called holding back so you don't bring nasty AoE's into the back line. Some may even call that "teamwork".

Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-22 20:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
There's also something called holding back so you don't bring nasty AoE's into the back line. Some may even call that "teamwork".

And all the NMs you listed can be done with a duo or trio and somehow that's less team work than just "throwing bodies at ***"?
[+]
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2010-10-22 20:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

PLDs give way too much tp compared to their dmg dealt. SAM MNK or 1-2 WAR can tank most of the ***in abyssea and deal a lot more dmg than a PLD.
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-22 20:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:
not everyone has every job at cap three days after the latest level cap increase.

It's.... October 22nd, bro.
[+]
 Ifrit.Itazura
By Ifrit.Itazura 2010-10-22 20:57:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Serj said:
Ifrit.Itazura said:
not everyone has every job at cap three days after the latest level cap increase.

It's.... October 22nd, bro.
And, as of yesterday, not everyone in my LS has every job at Lv.85--pretty far from it, actually. Think some still don't have a single one, yet. XD

As for trio/duo/solo NMs, not everyone has the gear/know-how. As I said, it's a (lay back) social LS--it's fun for us to all gather up and do Abyssea.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-10-22 21:10:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing i can think of that a pld would be useful for atm would be mission fights and bcnm's. (if for some reason people still do old ground kings i suppose those also but could always all bst them or something ;p)

Who know's maybe they will add some NM that you can't kite/pin and has crazy draw in if you try to, isn't zergable, and can one shot anybody but a pld with 3k hp and crazy pdt gear.

Any non abyssea content can be taken out by all DD's and a couple healer's at this point anyways.. and without capped enmity gear.. (which 90% of pld's don't have) pld isn't gonna hold hate for ***.

inb4 have dd's go /thf.. that just slows down a kill.

Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-22 21:14:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
and without capped enmity gear.. (which 90% of pld's don't have) pld isn't gonna hold hate for ***.

G'luck getting +100 enmity in gear
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-22 21:15:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
and without capped enmity gear.. (which 90% of pld's don't have) pld isn't gonna hold hate for ***.

Hahaha, ahhhhhhh. So true. I'd like to see SE putting enmity +50 on plds AF3+2 body just to *** with people.
Server: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-10-22 21:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:

could be wrong but i always thought stuff like that capped at 50%

cure potency cap + 50%
fast cast cap + 50%
enmity +/- cap .. +/- 50%

Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-22 21:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Positive cap is 100, negative is 50.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Xenhas
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Xenhas
By Gilgamesh.Xenhas 2010-10-22 21:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Itazura said:

I heard its called collaborator
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-10-22 21:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said:

Seriously though, i see this thread all the goddamn time >_< Im 99.9% sure Flion just made this thread to troll lol

wat?

Look at the date is was created.

This is probably the first thread of it's calibre.
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-22 22:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

People need to keep rating down Flion's original post. We need to see how low it can get!
 Carbuncle.Lynxblade
Server: Carbuncle
user: Lynxblade
By Carbuncle.Lynxblade 2010-10-22 22:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
wat? Look at the date is was created. This is probably the first thread of it's calibre.
Ive nvr seen a is pld usefull thread ever, i guess your really inovative :P
 Bahamut.Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-10-22 22:37:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
wat? Look at the date is was created. This is probably the first thread of it's calibre.
I've never seen a "is pld useful" thread ever. I guess you're really innovative :P

Fixed... I'm exhausted and it took me way to long to read the original. Just thought I'd do others a favor.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15