First Page 2 3 4 5
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-18 16:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
If someone told you FFXI was a game where you could spam endgame and be done in a month, I'm sorry, you were lied to.
These people showed up for Adoulin and only know Delve, Vagary and SR.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-18 16:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »
Everyone quit because we took a break at a bad time just before Ody was added and most people did their clears, then noone wants them anymore since they all have them.

Maybe your previous group of friends quit, but I can assure you that everyone on Asura did not quit; I will also go out on a limb and say that not everyone on Asura has every single Odyssey clear and all of the RP they could possibly want for every piece. These people exist, you just need to find them. Maybe try making a post on here or reddit looking for a linkshell? Check LS concierge? Shout? Join a Discord? Chat with the people in your PUGs and ask them about their group/linkshell? Add them as friends on flist or Discord and ask them if they want to RP again in the future? All of the above?

You're on the most populous sever in the entire game, I refuse to believe you can't find like-minded people who want to RP gear for more than a single KI. As you've no doubt deduced by now from looking at the word next to my character's name, I play on Carbuncle, a bottom-50% population server, and I could put together two parties of 6 for RP for any NM with a not-total-***reward in Ody tonight. Or next Tuesday.

You don't have to be in a static group that runs at exactly XYZ time either, just make contacts and then ask them if they're available and would like some Kalunga or Ongo RP or whatever. Shout for the remaining missing party members, or just go with 3, 4, or 5 members. You don't need 6 R30-geared players to get 5% on some NMs.

Or just blame SE for not giving you enough segments, IDK, I'm not running your life.
By K123 2024-01-18 17:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

No time to let FFXI schedule my life and play in EU hours. You keep moving the goalposts.

How many runs to even R25 5/5 at 2500 RP a run? In pug amp charge you see people d/c (messes it up completely sometimes because you can't enter) or accidentally leave after a nm, or d/c and don't come back, or wife aggro, etc. Yes, all competent regular players are R25/30 and don't care to do much Gaes Fete.

Sorry you are so enraged by the thought of making segs more convenient to farm than it being a daily that drives your life. The game should reflect older people with more responsibilities as it does it most other content better.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-18 17:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't understand what I wrote that made you think I was enraged.

The fact that you can't be bothered to look up how much RP it takes to augment gear speaks volumes about your general outlook. It would take 50 runs at 2500 RP a run to augment a full set of R25 gear. These cost 4500 segments each, so that's about ~20~22 days of segments (225k).

I'm not opposed to them increasing the amount of tags you can store at once, I think it would be a nice enhancement. Not a big fan of adding 3 tags per day (one for A, B, and C), as I think it's overkill and people FOMO hard enough as is.

I think 20h tags give nice flexibility as-is, you have a 4 hour window to do a 30 minute event, or you can log in and spend 30 seconds saving a tag for the next day. It's not perfectly flexible, but it's not exactly DEMANDING that you have to do it on their terms, and if you miss a day, who gives a ***? You're a busy adult with a life, if you miss out on some imaginary points on a piece of digital armor, it's fine.
By K123 2024-01-18 17:25:51
Link | Quote | Reply

It would take 50 runs at 2500 RP a run to augment a full set of R25 gear. These cost 4500 segments each, so that's about ~20~22 days of segments (225k).
With the occasional outright wipe etc. average pug is probably 8k segs. 28 days if you go every day. I don't. Double that for R30?

I think it's overkill and people FOMO hard enough as is.
The game is mostly designed to cause FOMO with dailies now, what I proposed alleviates that more than anything. Segs are worthless when you are capped, and the gil items would be if they made hide more common the way I suggested too.

I think 20h tags give nice flexibility as-is, you have a 4 hour window to do a 30 minute event, or you can log in and spend 30 seconds saving a tag for the next day. It's not perfectly flexible, but it's not exactly DEMANDING that you have to do it on their terms, and if you miss a day, who gives a ***? You're a busy adult with a life, if you miss out on some imaginary points on a piece of digital armor, it's fine.
There is nothing flexible about being forced to log in every day. Stacking to 3 or what I suggested would be better without being too hurtful to the people that made the gear when it was harder.
By K123 2024-01-18 17:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
If someone told you FFXI was a game where you could spam endgame and be done in a month, I'm sorry, you were lied to.
These people showed up for Adoulin and only know Delve, Vagary and SR.
I was here since 05 and did kings, briefly played during Delve v1 (like a month) then missed Delve v2 and Vagary and SR, etc. Returned for "the last ever set of missions" ending with Reis in 2016.
By Meeble 2024-01-18 17:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

In other news, Divergence is badly designed and takes too long because sometimes I have to pee before the run is over.

The game should reflect older people with good hydration as it does it most other content better. /s
By K123 2024-01-18 18:02:53
Link | Quote | Reply

New idea:
How about if you have beaten hardmode Animon then Shard EFGH become permanent KIs? So you can just enter and do underground bosses and save your RL from running around like an idiot.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-18 18:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I was here since 05 and did kings

Damn daily lockouts.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-18 18:21:47
Link | Quote | Reply

The game is mostly designed to cause FOMO with dailies now, what I proposed alleviates that more than anything. Segs are worthless when you are capped, and the gil items would be if they made hide more common the way I suggested too.

Adding 3 tags to Ody would literally just increase the FOMO of Ody by triple. If you aren't doing all 3 seg farm runs then you're missing out! Damn SE, introducing two more dailies that you have to do every day, aren't they listening to the players?

This would also ***gil all over the game, since people would be getting (at least) 3x the gil they were getting previously.

IDK, maybe it wouldn't have any unintended consequences because most people would just choose to do the single seg farm they wanted to do, but if they did...then they just implemented a change to the game that wasn't utilized by the vast majority of players. Lose-lose!
 Asura.Iamaman
Server: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-01-18 18:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeble said: »
In other news, Divergence is badly designed and takes too long because sometimes I have to pee before the run is over.

The game should reflect older people with good hydration as it does it most other content better. /s

Just use pee jugs like the rest of us
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-01-18 18:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

This has been FFXI's design since level 75, probably before that. This is not some brand new thing. If someone told you FFXI was a game where you could spam endgame and be done in a month, I'm sorry, you were lied to.

This is why I can't play ff14, I can see the mechanics of the product and I can see they are constantly giving me utterly meaningless new gear and new content in a never ending cycle to keep me on the hamster wheel. To play 14 you have to accept none of the gear means anything, you'll throw it away in 6 months and that you're just riding amusement park rides.

It was the same when I played Tera, I put huge investment in to learn the hardest dungeon in the game and get all the best gear and in they brought out new gear and a new dungeons and I had this massive revelation of the utter pointlessness of it all. Cause I literally sold all this amazing gear it took months to get to an NPC and then bought better welfare gear from an npc next to it.

It's like being in the Matrix and you live your life and then they reset it all and wipe your memory and you do it all over again from the start.

FFXI takes longer to get stuff but it feels like you're getting something that matters cause there is no wipe, modern MMORPGs are like building sandcastles on the beach and although many love that I don't.

Before someone says all games are pointless, I know but it's about how you perceive it.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-01-18 18:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Iamaman said: »
Meeble said: »

Just use pee jugs like the rest of us

But that's inconvenient for me. They should just change the content instead. /s, obvs.
By Felgarr 2024-01-18 18:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
This has been FFXI's design since level 75, probably before that. This is not some brand new thing. If someone told you FFXI was a game where you could spam endgame and be done in a month, I'm sorry, you were lied to.

This is why I can't play ff14, I can see the mechanics of the product and I can see they are constantly giving me utterly meaningless new gear and new content in a never ending cycle to keep me on the hamster wheel. To play 14 you have to accept none of the gear means anything, you'll throw it away in 6 months and that you're just riding amusement park rides.

It was the same when I played Tera, I put huge investment in to learn the hardest dungeon in the game and get all the best gear and in they brought out new gear and a new dungeons and I had this massive revelation of the utter pointlessness of it all. Cause I literally sold all this amazing gear it took months to get to an NPC and then bought better welfare gear from an npc next to it.

It's like being in the Matrix and you live your life and then they reset it all and wipe your memory and you do it all over again from the start.

FFXI takes longer to get stuff but it feels like you're getting something that matters cause there is no wipe, modern MMORPGs are like building sandcastles on the beach and although many love that I don't.

Before someone says all games are pointless, I know but it's about how you perceive it.

Interesting insight. Thanks for sharing. However, I think is very plausible to complete everything FFXI has to offer.
By BlackmoreKnight 2024-01-18 22:34:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I think there's a bit of talking past each other there. I do think it's very reasonable to complete all the content XI has to offer like a sort of theme park, by which I mean doing all the Master Trials, getting each W3 done, doing all the bosses and powered up bosses in Sortie, all V25s, etc, etc. That's not too bad. I think what the other poster was talking about was more of a general sense of completing the game from an item progression point of view, and from that angle I'd agree that the game is essentially uncompleteable in the more absurd senses. That's due to drop rates, time gates, and very large currency grinds. An easy and still kind of reasonable example is that it takes 220 days to fully be allowed to upgrade your relic sets on all 22 jobs to +3 just from Dynamis-D lockouts. A more pointed example would be that I don't think it's reasonable to fully complete every Prime weapon before the game shuts down as that is probably measured in the span of 5 or more years of daily grinding.

So it sort of depends on if you view discrete units of content as, well, content, or progression itself as content. XI is not too friendly to the former since farming Lilith 500 times is not entirely compelling on a gameplay level, you're doing it for the dopamine hits of the item drops. I personally find the battle content that some other MMOs offer more generally compelling than XI's, but that's again from the theme park perspective where I accept and enjoy that I'm just on a fun ride and whatever I get is entirely ephemeral except for cosmetics. XI is fun in its own way as a sort of way to constantly have something to chip at, but it's a different type of game in that regard. Different appeals for different people.

That sort of concept is probably why Master Trials aren't really talked about much here while, say, Mythic raiding in WoW or Ultimate raiding in XIV are huge deals. The actual battle content in XI on a mechanical level is somewhat secondary to the rewards/progression it gives you, and cosmetics just don't seem to be in vogue here.
By K123 2024-01-19 09:13:43
Link | Quote | Reply

My belief of how the game should be suitable for returnees is also because, let's face it, practically noone completely new to the game has joined in years. Only returnees play again and need end game catch up to play with old friends.