New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Ideas for new content
Ideas for new content
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Shichishito 2024-01-06 20:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Maybe they aren't expecting everyone to solo? I'd say for a full set of empy armor from base to +3 it would take about 8 days.
The trend is towards solo play, they let you in solo, they hardly can act all surprised if people chose to do so. The reward floor for solo play has simply become miserable, not just for sortie.

If you think the ultimate weapon in the entire game should be soloable in 1 hr/night for 40 days you're playing the wrong game, sorry.
That's not what I said though.
You may not agree with what I realy said but I think we can both agree 40 days for a full set of empy +3 is time/reward -wise far outside of the fun zone.

Find a group. Better yet, start a group with your 2 closest friends and then start recruiting for your group.
You recruit for jobs, I just want to play a game.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Maletaru
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Gilgamesh.Maletaru 2024-01-06 20:59:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
The trend is towards solo play, they let you in solo, they hardly can act all surprised if people chose to do so. The reward floor for solo play has simply become miserable, not just for sortie.

The reward floor for solo play has always been ***. Have you ever tried to solo Dynamis [D], Odyssey, ambu..? I mean at least half of the end-game events are a nightmare for solo. Possible, in some cases, but much more difficult and with a lower floor. This has been the design forever for anything even remotely challenging.

That's not what I said though.

40 days is imho closer to what a Prime should take rather than a full set of empy.

OK what does this mean? Because to me, this says 40 days is Close to what a prime should take.

You recruit for jobs, I just want to play a game.

OK then understand that this is not a solo game, it's an MMO. If you decide you want to play at a solo pace that's fine, they facilitate that, but you're going to have a more difficult time, because the content is designed for multiple people, since it's an MMO. It's not designed so that a single player soloing is going to be able to achieve things quickly.
[+]
By K123 2024-01-07 06:06:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Legion would be easy to do and could be *** amazing. 18 man content, and make it hard enough to need mlevel 30 and emp+3/v25 gear.
By Banhammer 2024-01-07 07:56:49
Link | Quote | Reply

All they need to do is update all the old lv 75-99 content. I think most people would really enjoy doing all that but with updated rewards. Limbus, Meeble Burrows, Nyzul, etc...

The reason people don't do the other more obscure content is because the rewards were bad. If they updated the rewards of MMM, Chocobo Racing, Pankration, etc... people would do that too. We suffer through way worse content today than any of that ever was.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-01-07 08:36:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Maletaru said: »
Shichishito said: ยป
40 days is imho closer to what a Prime should take rather than a full set of empy.

OK what does this mean? Because to me, this says 40 days is Close to what a prime should take.

This is called a fact. Primes are not worth the effort. I say 30 days. No maybe 25 days. They should be easier to make than relics

The fact of the matter is the fumbling they did with sortie and primes they should give out free primes T5.

SE is trash - They really killed their game and anyone who thinks other wise is Slurping Dev nuts
By K123 2024-01-07 15:21:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Prime weapons generally aren't that amazing sure, but making Aria accessible outside of sortie much easier would make a lot of content laughable?
By Nariont 2024-01-07 15:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The content it would normally apply to is already laughable
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-07 16:09:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I was gonna say that
Either youre already sleepwalkin thru it, or you likely arent attack capped.
[+]
By K123 2024-01-07 16:16:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
The content it would normally apply to is already laughable
I kinda thought the same. Maybe Ou it would make a difference, or help you to drag weaker DDs through V20/25? Capping attack only on T1-2? idk.
By Nariont 2024-01-07 16:20:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Basically anything you can use full or even half potency bubbles, you're already likely hitting pretty high/capped, ody/gaol is probably it, and on some 25's you're already struggling to hit PDL before aria, unlikely youll get enough atk to make use of that extra.

It's a nice toy, but its no honor march
By K123 2024-01-07 16:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Also for existing content....
Add a 10/30/50k EP reward for clearing a T1/2/3 V20 fight if you already have the clear and kill it? Help people get clears.

Or let people buy V20/25 clears with 30K/50K RP? idk but Odyssey sucks since there's no reward for helping people.
By K123 2024-01-07 16:28:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Nariont said: »
Basically anything you can use full or even half potency bubbles, you're already likely hitting pretty high/capped, ody/gaol is probably it, and on some 25's you're already struggling to hit PDL before aria, unlikely youll get enough atk to make use of that extra.

It's a nice toy, but its no honor march
Would work for most of Ody C?
By Nariont 2024-01-07 16:40:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that's why i separated ody/gaol. Just not sure how much that impacts the run quality, a weaker player is likely not hitting the additional PDL, and for the run to be "better" it'd require all the DDs to be on a similar level. Helps the 1 or 2 good players, but the one lagging behind isnt gaining much if anything.

if it was just straight +dmg% thad be different, and itd probably be one of the best songs in the game, as is it kinda is from a dmg perspective, just with a big caveat, in a meta where some of the older content you're already dmg capping on cause you can drop a mobs def to double/triple digits already
By RadialArcana 2024-01-07 21:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

This is called a fact. Primes are not worth the effort. I say 30 days. No maybe 25 days. They should be easier to make than relics

The fact of the matter is the fumbling they did with sortie and primes they should give out free primes T5.

SE is trash - They really killed their game and anyone who thinks other wise is Slurping Dev nuts

It's really obvious to me that the devs had plenty of notice they were being moved off XI, the budget was also way below what it normally would be. VR and most of the content has been pretty poor, well below the level of effort they used to put into everything.

Looking at Square Enix stock price, I can't really say I'm surprised they are penny pinching. It's in freefall.
[+]
By K123 2024-01-08 03:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI was once referred to as their most profitable game. Oh how they *** that up.

Loads of Japanese companies massively *** up though. Remember when Toshiba was a huge company? Hitachi? Even Panasonic and Sharp.
By K123 2024-01-08 03:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI was once referred to as their most profitable game. Oh how they *** that up.

Loads of Japanese companies massively *** up though. Remember when Toshiba was a huge company? Hitachi? Even Panasonic and Sharp.
By Taint 2024-01-08 12:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I just made another Mythic over the past few weeks and its 100% more engaging, rewarding and fun then Blitz roling around the purple dungeon.

They left so much potential on the table with the Prime design.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2024-01-08 12:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »

It's really obvious to me that the devs had plenty of notice they were being moved off XI, the budget was also way below what it normally would be. VR and most of the content has been pretty poor, well below the level of effort they used to put into everything.

Looking at Square Enix stock price, I can't really say I'm surprised they are penny pinching. It's in freefall.

can someone link this post to afania? i want him to argue it with radial
By CrAZYVIC 2024-01-08 18:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Banhammer said: »
All they need to do is update all the old lv 75-99 content. I think most people would really enjoy doing all that but with updated rewards. Limbus, Meeble Burrows, Nyzul, etc...

The reason people don't do the other more obscure content is because the rewards were bad. If they updated the rewards of MMM, Chocobo Racing, Pankration, etc... people would do that too. We suffer through way worse content today than any of that ever was.

I completely agree with you; they should revamp the content for both level 75 and level 99.

The speed at which content is consumed nowadays is incredible; not even WoW and FFXIV can release updates at the pace people need. FFXI releases new content every two or three years on average, which, unfortunately, is not sufficient.

Launching a revamp of Sky, Sea, Einherjar, Nyzul, Salvage, Abyssea, VW, Legion, level 99 Dynamis, along with an REMAS-R30 upgrade, balancing the content for 12 players but allowing entry for 6 or 18, would be the best way to put FFXI in maintenance mode.

With that, it would promote the return of End Game Linkshells and restore the social aspect of the game.

Access to the content would be through a KI every 12 hours; you could load X2 Sky-KI, x2 Sea KI, etc., and your weekly schedule would look like this:

Sunday: Sky, Nyzul & Einherjar
Tuesday: Sea, Salvage & Dynamis
Thursday: Abyssea, Voidwatch & Legion
By Draylo 2024-01-08 18:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I think at this point the easiest thing for them would be a revamped Abyssea. Different zones and the usual with some twists. Either that or another type of Escha or Voidwatch. We need something with longevity and I feel those 3 events can do that with very limited resources.
By RadialArcana 2024-01-08 18:17:53
Link | Quote | Reply

K123 said: »

The problem is, XIV allowed them to increase their acceptable monetization policies.

So now a sub only game is pitiful by comparison, when before it was really good.
By Shichishito 2024-01-08 21:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

The reward floor for solo play has always been ***.
No, it has not been always that way, it's where the game started as a artificial bottleneck cause they were worried they couldn't push out enough content to keep people busy and subscribed.

You were able to achieve quite a bit solo on BST in abyssea once you got the -dt pet atma, you could do most content with the MNK + WHM combo. Unity was also lowman and solo friendly. Geas fete and trusts continued that trend with the majority of the good gear droping already in tier 1 and 2.

Closer
If we say 1 day would be reasonable to complete a piece of empy and 60 days would be reasonable for a Prime then 40 days of time invested would still be closer to the prime than a full set of empy.

You might want to retort "but relic, mythic, empy took ages to complete when they were first introduced!".
I'd answer pre abyssea era FFXI was medieval. Empies were the first to become a little more solo or low man friendly, at least until the lvl 90 stage where some were already considered BiS or on par with alternatives at the time. aeonics could theoretically be attained much faster than it's predecessors and SU5 could simply be bought.

OK then understand that this is not a solo game, it's an MMO. If you decide you want to play at a solo pace that's fine, they facilitate that, but you're going to have a more difficult time, because the content is designed for multiple people boxes, since it's an MMO. It's not designed so that a single player soloing is going to be able to achieve things quickly.
The gap between the reward ceiling of a solo player and a party is too far appart. You can use higher rewards as a incentive for party play but if a reward multiplier of 2-8 still can't convince everybody of party play then your MMO has other issues and further increasing the reward gap isn't going to fix them.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-08 21:21:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
There needs to be another way to upgrade Emp+3 or get Galli, I don't care if its i119 Dragon's Aery, SR, Limbus or more Mog Garden.

This game has 22 Jobs, its pretty shitty design to have to waste 10ish days of Prime progress to upgrade another jobs Emp+3. Its dumb, its bad and they need to fix it.

I've been wanting a proper IL119 Limbus for ages now, and it wouldn't even be that hard. Copy / Paste the existing limbus area's and put higher level mobs / bosses into them. Toss in some JSE rings or belts that are upgraded with materials that drop. Make proper IL119 Homam/Nashira and throw in alternate versions for different job sets.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-08 22:13:57
Link | Quote | Reply

CrAZYVIC said: »
Launching a revamp of Sky, Sea, Einherjar, Nyzul, Salvage, Abyssea, VW, Legion, level 99 Dynamis, along with an REMAS-R30 upgrade, balancing the content for 12 players but allowing entry for 6 or 18, would be the best way to put FFXI in maintenance mode.

Oh yeah, they should just remake 7 pieces of content, balance them for 3 different sizes of alliance, and re-balance all the ultimate weapons. I'll bet their devs can have that done by lunch.

No, it has not been always that way, it's where the game started as a artificial bottleneck cause they were worried they couldn't push out enough content to keep people busy and subscribed.

You were able to achieve quite a bit solo on BST in abyssea once you got the -dt pet atma, you could do most content with the MNK + WHM combo. Unity was also lowman and solo friendly. Geas fete and trusts continued that trend with the majority of the good gear droping already in tier 1 and 2.

So...no content was soloable for the first 8 years of the game, then they came out with soloable content, everyone freaked out and quit, then they went back to nothing-is-soloable. Even in Abyssea, there were LOADS of things that were extremely inefficient if solo. Sure, a BST could kill a handful of enemies, but they had almost no blue procs, very few yellow procs (SJ only), and very few red procs. So they could technically kill a bunch of stuff, just with much, much worse results...like...a shitty reward floor for solo play...

Closer
If we say 1 day would be reasonable to complete a piece of empy and 60 days would be reasonable for a Prime then 40 days of time invested would still be closer to the prime than a full set of empy.

Well, your original statement was about a set of empy, not a single piece, but regardless I think 60 days for a finished prime weapon is ludicrous. Within less than a year anyone who gave a ***about playing the game would be done with every weapon they could conceivably want, and then would be all over the forums bitching for more content because they have nothing to do.

Empies were the first to become a little more solo or low man friendly

Nobody was soloing Chloris at-era so...not sure what you mean by this but yeah sure, empyreans were soloable.

The gap between the reward ceiling of a solo player and a party is too far appart. You can use higher rewards as a incentive for party play but if a reward multiplier of 2-8 still can't convince everybody of party play then your MMO has other issues and further increasing the reward gap isn't going to fix them.

Yeah, everyone judges MMOs by their ability to allow solo players to complete content. That's why WOW and FFXIV are so successful, because you can solo all the endgame stuff and don't have to deal with people to get the rewards.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2024-01-09 00:09:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Make proper IL119 Homam/Nashira and throw in alternate versions for different job sets.

I was sitting on a 5/5 Valkyrie set in hopes something would change :(
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-01-09 07:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

So...no content was soloable for the first 8 years of the game, then they came out with soloable content, everyone freaked out and quit, then they went back to nothing-is-soloable. Even in Abyssea, there were LOADS of things that were extremely inefficient if solo. Sure, a BST could kill a handful of enemies, but they had almost no blue procs, very few yellow procs (SJ only), and very few red procs. So they could technically kill a bunch of stuff, just with much, much worse results...like...a shitty reward floor for solo play...

Yeah you're missing the point of solo abyssea. You bring anything that can build Blue Lights and you can literally spend all day in a zone. You can work on what you want at your own pace for how ever long you want.

Compare that to doing Sortie for only an hour every day for the same target: REMA weapon and Empy Armor.

You pay up to double the sub fee before factoring inflation for significantly less play time working on the same rewards from a different era. It's not about efficiency for most people playing this game. It's about you have some time you want to spend playing games and it tells you to come back tomorrow because you're cut off.

I have no problem with the argument that it wasn't until Abyssea was complete and you could get to level 90 that things shifted in this direction, but Sortie is DONE. Hard Mode has come and gone and the static people already have their stage 5s. Now let everyone else that has a life that doesn't accommodates that kind of play schedule to enjoy playing the game too.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-09 08:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Yeah you're missing the point of solo abyssea. You bring anything that can build Blue Lights and you can literally spend all day in a zone. You can work on what you want at your own pace for how ever long you want.

I mean, his point was:

The reward floor for solo play has simply become miserable, not just for sortie.

He said BST used to be able to solo in abyssea at level 90, and I pointed out that soloing at level 80-90 in abyssea had a TERRIBLE reward floor, which is true. Sure, you could farm on your own schedule and farm for 12 hours straight, that doesn't mean you got the same rewards as a party. You got like 10% of the seals and couldn't proc red 99% of the time, so you had to kill time-spawned NMs probably 3-5x as often, plus having no TH for anything. Things would be AWFUL and slow compared to a well-built party. This is called a miserable reward floor.

I can't think of a time in FFXI's history where solo players had a similar reward floor in endgame content to a party. In fact, I'd say today is the best time for solo players to achieve things, compared to the rest of the history of the game. For relevant, newly-released content, Sortie and Odyssey are ridiculously generous for solo players compared to (in era, at release): Sky, Sea, Limbus, Assault, Salvage, Einherjar, Dynamis, Sinister Reign, Delve, Ambuscade, Omen, Vagary, Incursion.

I mean, you can say you hate Sortie and it's a boring event with too much running around, that you hate purple hallways and you don't like having to spend muffins on primes and empyreans, or whatever other complaints you have about what SE is doing, but to imply that FFXI has always rewarded solo players at a reasonable rate compared to parties and alliances and now ALL OF A SUDDEN they've ruined the reward rates for solo players compared to parties is a *** farce.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-01-09 09:42:04
Link | Quote | Reply

It really sounds like you haven't spent a lot of time soloing. That grinding without other people doing your work for you, repulses you. What are you like some BRD main that needs a well built party to exist to validate your play choices? Are you really advocating gate keeping flexible play time for people who want to play more because you'd rather people just have less if it's not you providing more?

That's really messed up, you musical drug dealer. :p
By K123 2024-01-09 09:51:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sky could be amazing but not again after Escha Ru'Aun, that is dead and done.

I want content which has either never been revised, or was revised at 99 but not 119 (e.g. Salvage/Odin). Odin was one of the best fights and the HTBF version is a waste of what was an amazing battlefield.

I still think Meeble Burrows was a good system (bit annoying trading) and could be upscaled though.
By Dodik 2024-01-09 09:56:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I find it hilarious people are theory crafting ideas for "new content" when the director came out and said there won't be any new content a couple months ago.

Denial at its finest.
[+]