Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Ideas for new content
Ideas for new content
First Page 2 3 4 5
By K123 2024-01-05 19:23:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Add RP to HTBF gear, mainly Malignance and Hjarrandi gear. Different amount of RP gained by difficulty per kill. Something like 30 VD kills to cap per piece, or 90 VE. Obviously increase the number of instances to avoid jams.

Malig Head - R25 Utsusemi spellcasing time -10%
Malig Body - R25 Pet: WSD+10%
Malig Hands - R25 Waltz Potency +7%
Malig Legs - R25 Crit hit dmg +6%
Malig Feet - R25 TA+5%

Hjarrandi helm - Subtle Blow II +10
Hjarrandi breastplate - Critical hit damage +15%
By Thunderjet 2024-01-05 21:45:44
Link | Quote | Reply

i think they should give us a new Version of Abyssea in Adoulin areas instead of this crap, another way to get Metal plates, and other off gear stuff and exemplary points stacking like the color kills in older abyssea.
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-05 22:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The issue is that there's no content coming down the line that validates the extra effort. People who are chasing R30 Odyssey gear are doing it to say they did it rather than because they think it's necessary for something in the future.

Allowing ambuscade armor upgrades to +3 was the lowest fruit, especially considering their push to keep players active there. Allowing augments to empyrean armor like in Abyssea probably would have given players more reason to do Sortie. At least would have closed the huge gap between players who just want armor and those persuing weapons.
 Asura.Bynebill
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2024-01-05 22:06:35
Link | Quote | Reply

There is plenty of things they could of done within the parameters of what they have shown to be capable of doing.

Hell there are still several jobs that don't have access to non mission rewarded 18% run speed gear.

I think Sortie could of benefited from an augment system for the above listed reasons as having that gap reward between intial armor farming and prime weapon farming.

They've chosen to abandon it instead which seems odd given how little effort they have shown is required to keep it going (3-4 people?). Should of just came out with a ff14/11 bundle sub plan to draw in additional revnue.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-05 22:57:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Seun said: »
The issue is that there's no content coming down the line that validates the extra effort. People who are chasing R30 Odyssey gear are doing it to say they did it rather than because they think it's necessary for something in the future.

This is something that's brought up by a lot of people, especially w/r/t prime weapons and I just...don't get it. I've played a few MMOs and when working on endgame stuff I pretty much never focused on completing the hardest content in the game so I could get gear to complete some other future released content. I was always doing it either for cosmetics, bragging rights, achievements, flashy gear/mounts/etc. or for the fun/challenge of it. I've never heard anyone say "We have to clear this raid so we can get XYZ item for the next patch" or anything of the sort.

IMO endgame, hardest-tier stuff is there to BE the challenge, not to give you something for a future challenge or for the next hardest thing. That's why it's the hardest...you go after it because you like a challenge and want to do something difficult, not because you need that piece of gear to do the next thing after it.
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-06 01:14:19
Link | Quote | Reply

game end > end game

Odyssey released over time. Nyame increased with each patch and people were upgrading so they could keep up with the content. A lot of people liked Odyssey for that reason and would probably still be here if there was more added.

The HTMB gear is already pretty well broken. Sprinkling stats on it isn't going to convince someone that they want to go back to Lilith when they've already spent days(played) farming it. Odyssey is still Odyssey and everything else is still easy.
By Pantafernando 2024-01-06 04:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

We need some futuristic city in FFXI.

Many FFs always had an unknown city that had technologies way over its time
[+]
By K123 2024-01-06 04:55:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderjet said: »
i think they should give us a new Version of Abyssea in Adoulin areas instead of this crap, another way to get Metal plates, and other off gear stuff and exemplary points stacking like the color kills in older abyssea.
I mean to suggest things within reason of the minimal effort they will ever make.
By K123 2024-01-06 04:55:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderjet said: »
I mean to suggest things within reason of the minimal effort they will ever make.
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-01-06 05:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

This is something that's brought up by a lot of people, especially w/r/t prime weapons and I just...don't get it. I've played a few MMOs and when working on endgame stuff I pretty much never focused on completing the hardest content in the game so I could get gear to complete some other future released content. I was always doing it either for cosmetics, bragging rights, achievements, flashy gear/mounts/etc. or for the fun/challenge of it. I've never heard anyone say "We have to clear this raid so we can get XYZ item for the next patch" or anything of the sort.

IMO endgame, hardest-tier stuff is there to BE the challenge, not to give you something for a future challenge or for the next hardest thing. That's why it's the hardest...you go after it because you like a challenge and want to do something difficult, not because you need that piece of gear to do the next thing after it.

Yeah but you don't play all those game anymore do you? You're describing the FFXI equivalent of Master Trials. You know, those things that people stop doing after the first month they are out and never talk about again because no one cares if you have a shiny weapon because it doesn't do anything.

In order for people to keep playing MMOs you have to provide both challenge and growth. For games like WoW and FFXIV, it's:
1.Raise Level Cap. Players pay for expansion.
2.Get rid of old abilities 'for balance' and introduce new abilities as they level so they 'grow'. Relearn that key sequence and repeat it constantly. Tap tap tap make game gud.
3.Invalidate current gear by the time they reach the mid-point of their new levels. If you made a weapon that took a bunch of extra time between expansions, it is completely invalidated and you get no rewards for it. It's the Journey that's important man~
4.Release new drip feed BiS gear through dailies/weeklies dungeons. Everyone you play with will suck but you'll keep going.
5.Release harder 'raids' that get you to BiS without dailies/weeklies. Such Skill, Much WoW!
6.Create artificial scenario where people can brag about their gear for 2 months every expansion before people catch up and everything is exactly the same as it was before they raised the level cap. Haha, they're goldfish!
7.Release EXTREME RAIDS with titles so they can brag about how cool they are AGAIN, 2 times in 1 expansion! It's not totally a stall tactic between development cycles but look at that cool title or mount they got. Maybe they sparkle extra pretty.

Where as this game, the challenge is being able to clear the content and then do it 50~1000 more times. When you're done, you get some kind of gear that makes your character more time efficient or more enjoyable to play on current and future content(when there was future content). If you can't even do whatever the current content is, you just fail. There isn't a dungeon finder to make more dedicated people do the work of carrying you through your own gameplay experience because they are being forced for their own gear progression. The challenge motivates you to work on your gear and play better. The result was that you have a community that was gear elitist because they didn't want to play with people who were either lazy or ignorant.

The idea of doing challenges for the challenge doesn't translate into a reward. Challenges have to have actual rewards that you gain through repetition. There is no reason to change the game model this late in it's life.
[+]
By Asura.Neojuggernautx 2024-01-06 08:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sinister Reign v2 but against characters across the various expansions and in the style of legion. Make them difficult as ***, have 2-3 bosses simultaneously from random expansions in 3 waves, make the loot system not nearly as grotesque, make it accessible to an alliance, layer instances and entrance the EXACT SAME as sortie is now, and lastly, have a heroes path and a villains path to narrow down target gear.

Augments and gear drop randomness will keep something like this alive for longer than a couple months. Either the old way but with fewer random augment values, another grindy RP system, or a stone system where you can farm exclusive stones in the event. Just nothing that resembles the abject failure sortie JSE earring system.

Heroes Path example:
RotZ wave: Aldo, Gilgamesh, Lion
CoP: Ulmia, Prishe, Tenzen, Bahamut!
ToAU: Skyserpent Generals
WotG: sure
SoA: Teador, Morimar, August

Villains Path:
RotZ: the brothers and Nag’molada finally!
CoP: Promathia, Absolute Virtue
ToAU: Beast kings, Odin, Alexander, Immortals
WotG: anyone but Lilith and spitewardens
SoA: Triumvirate, Perfidien, Plouton

Not all inclusive but would be interesting. Lastly, no fetters…period!
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-01-06 09:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

No more av it got borinng
But ur idea is great but it would be nice to update the skirmishes with new bosses the same way with new bosses
By RadialArcana 2024-01-06 09:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

bob slider

Honestly 119 Abbyssea would be amazing, they could even use most of the same assets but just boost up the reward quality and difficulty.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-06 09:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

Yeah but you don't play all those game anymore do you? You're describing the FFXI equivalent of Master Trials. You know, those things that people stop doing after the first month they are out and never talk about again because no one cares if you have a shiny weapon because it doesn't do anything.

In order for people to keep playing MMOs you have to provide both challenge and growth. For games like WoW and FFXIV, it's:
1.Raise Level Cap. Players pay for expansion.
2.Get rid of old abilities 'for balance' and introduce new abilities as they level so they 'grow'. Relearn that key sequence and repeat it constantly. Tap tap tap make game gud.
3.Invalidate current gear by the time they reach the mid-point of their new levels. If you made a weapon that took a bunch of extra time between expansions, it is completely invalidated and you get no rewards for it. It's the Journey that's important man~
4.Release new drip feed BiS gear through dailies/weeklies dungeons. Everyone you play with will suck but you'll keep going.
5.Release harder 'raids' that get you to BiS without dailies/weeklies. Such Skill, Much WoW!
6.Create artificial scenario where people can brag about their gear for 2 months every expansion before people catch up and everything is exactly the same as it was before they raised the level cap. Haha, they're goldfish!
7.Release EXTREME RAIDS with titles so they can brag about how cool they are AGAIN, 2 times in 1 expansion! It's not totally a stall tactic between development cycles but look at that cool title or mount they got. Maybe they sparkle extra pretty.

Where as this game, the challenge is being able to clear the content and then do it 50~1000 more times. When you're done, you get some kind of gear that makes your character more time efficient or more enjoyable to play on current and future content(when there was future content). If you can't even do whatever the current content is, you just fail. There isn't a dungeon finder to make more dedicated people do the work of carrying you through your own gameplay experience because they are being forced for their own gear progression. The challenge motivates you to work on your gear and play better. The result was that you have a community that was gear elitist because they didn't want to play with people who were either lazy or ignorant.

The idea of doing challenges for the challenge doesn't translate into a reward. Challenges have to have actual rewards that you gain through repetition. There is no reason to change the game model this late in it's life.

Sure, but you're just repeating my point, except in games where they invalidate your progress each patch my point is even more true.

In my experience, people in MMOs aren't doing the hardest content that currently exists so they can prepare for some other, harder content (now, or in a future patch). The point of the hardest content in the game is to challenge yourself, your friends, and the teamwork between you, and to get cool ***to show off to other players, and/or to be proud of for yourself. It also makes doing the content itself easier, which is the payoff. Having R30 ody gear makes RPing ody easier, and makes Sortie and Dynamis and all the other content easier, that's the payoff. Having a prime weapon makes it easier to farm another prime weapon, and easier to kill ody bosses, etc. etc.

Ideas for new content are tough because it's really hard to come up with an idea which doesn't require much/any development effort without getting a ton of negative feedback from players. Quite frankly, I think any idea you could possibly come up with, if SE released it you'd have a thread bitching about the new system the next day...
 Phoenix.Enochroot
Server: Phoenix
user: enoch
By Phoenix.Enochroot 2024-01-06 09:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I would figure the lowest hanging fruit would be to finish half-done content. Add the rest of the species to Monstrosity and Pankration. Add an evolith system to Adoulin with reasonable augments and make synergy more useful. Find something reasonable to do with the zillions of useless abjuration tatters.

Just recycling older content at ilvl would probably go a long way. Add +2-3 and R paths to any gear that's lacking.

Bring (timed, world-spawn) ilvl versions of ground kings and ***like ixion and sandworm, make 'em tough enough to require an alliance.

At this point it's all gonna be recycled, but they've got lots of different systems they can mix and match.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-01-06 10:20:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
We need some futuristic city in FFXI.

Many FFs always had an unknown city that had technologies way over its time

Technically they did with the Al'Taieu/Lumoria region. The zones in the area like The Garden of Ru'Hmet and Grand Palace of Hu'Xzoi already set the stage for the futuristic/technologically advanced society; they sort of made Tavnazia as the city stop before that. You had flying sharks and UFOs, floating dolphins, morphing spider/Android balls while players walked on water. That's pretty futuristic to me lol

Sky on the other hand was designed to be ancient relic technology that had been revived, so both sky and sea opposed each other in terms of appearance and era.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2024-01-06 10:23:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Open up the Colosseum, in Aht Urghan, for true 1v1 without gear swap lockout
Recycle older content for iLvl: Abyssea, Voidwatch, Garrison, Legion
Open up a new expansion with the Northern Orc kingdom or the Southern Mithra island
Alliance lvl content that requires a balanced group again, like a tank pt, melee pt, and mage pt, for world spawn/timed HNMs
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2024-01-06 10:38:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I had a really cool idea for the Colosseum years ago that never materialized. It was an individual 1v1 PvE leaderboard system where players could challenge various NMs through progressive battles that were completely random, but got harder as you progressed. It was similar to the Nyzul climbing system with NMS from across the world. First few levels were Leaping Lizzy level, eventually you would get to harder NMs. There was a ranking system similar to Ballista and so the server could see who the top performers were. There would even be a feature where players who weren't as skilled as normal jobs could customize their Monstrosity fiend and challenge the actual players in 1v1, and you'd gain ranking points for every real player or monster you defeated. Players vs Monsters. You'd have the ability to see what jobs people favored and then create a monster to counter that meta, causing players to counter your meta monster in an RPS style. If this sounds like Pokemon, that's pretty much exactly what Monstrosity is. They just never took it far enough. Almost like the FF7 Gold Saucer Battle arena
By smii 2024-01-06 10:39:35
Link | Quote | Reply

A literal copy paste of Limbus would be *** AMAZING! Level 99 Brutal and Loq. earrings, instant new chip and coin economy, and instead of item rewards they could just give us gallimaufry. The economy of the new chips and coins could be further enhanced by making them turn-ins to augment the new earrings.
[+]
By Taint 2024-01-06 11:44:34
Link | Quote | Reply

There needs to be another way to upgrade Emp+3 or get Galli, I don't care if its i119 Dragon's Aery, SR, Limbus or more Mog Garden.

This game has 22 Jobs, its pretty shitty design to have to waste 10ish days of Prime progress to upgrade another jobs Emp+3. Its dumb, its bad and they need to fix it.
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-01-06 13:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

smii said: »
A literal copy paste of Limbus would be *** AMAZING! Level 99 Brutal and Loq. earrings, instant new chip and coin economy, and instead of item rewards they could just give us gallimaufry. The economy of the new chips and coins could be further enhanced by making them turn-ins to augment the new earrings.
BROOO GOOD IDEA, and u can always 18 man Limbus if u wanted too
By Guyford 2024-01-06 13:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hadn't SE brought up the idea of 119 meebles at some point? Fast 15 minute fight/scenarios, interesting mechanics, and if anyone has a stash of gallimuffins hidden away its the meebles.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2024-01-06 14:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Like 8 different daily events that each are based on a point system that gets reset if you miss a day. Make them take like 34 days before the rewards become meaningful so missing a day stings like a ***.
[+]
By Shichishito 2024-01-06 15:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
There needs to be another way to upgrade Emp+3 or get Galli, I don't care if its i119 Dragon's Aery, SR, Limbus or more Mog Garden.

This game has 22 Jobs, its pretty shitty design to have to waste 10ish days of Prime progress to upgrade another jobs Emp+3. Its dumb, its bad and they need to fix it.
I guess I'm slow but soloing a single piece of empy +3 takes me around 8 days without major fkups. 40 days is imho closer to what a Prime should take rather than a full set of empy.
By Hovann 2024-01-06 16:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for PvP content but uncapped PvP is a disaster of balance, speaking from experience playing at least 80+ Ballista matches in the past couple years. Hell, even 60cap, the one that people on Asura all agreed upon is the most fair of the bunch, has its slew of issues (Beastmaster/Puppetmaster pets don't sync down, Elemental Magic is broken ever since the update almost a decade ago).

This does make me want to bring up Ballista anyway and a proper incentive: Exemplar/Job Points. This is all just spitballing, but the changes would have to be:

1) Abolish 30/40/50 cap, have 60/99 cap cycle each other.

2) Having jobs be mirrored as well as a Porter Moogle on site just before a match starts. This is to prevent one side having "the good jobs" while the other struggles with anything. These include RDM, WHM, THF (can steal Petras, the modes version of 'points'), and the aforementioned pet jobs. SE won't bother balancing within PvP, so having each team have equalish footing would be the way to go.

3) Make the rewards worth the time. If its a 53 slugfest, it should accommodate for that much time. Slinging numbers: 5k Exemplar if we're feeling generous, or 20~30 Job Points.

3b) Make it so the system does 20 minute matches, or make Diorama much more accessible to just one party.

4) Have a status that occurs during play along with Level Cap that puts a 50% damage penalty on certain damage types. Namely Elemental Magic, Magical Blue damage, and Pet Abilities.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-01-06 16:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Taint said: »

I guess I'm slow but soloing a single piece of empy +3 takes me around 8 days without major fkups. 40 days is imho closer to what a Prime should take rather than a full set of empy.

Maybe they aren't expecting everyone to solo? I'd say for a full set of empy armor from base to +3 it would take about 8 days.

Find a group. Better yet, start a group with your 2 closest friends and then start recruiting for your group.

If you think the ultimate weapon in the entire game should be soloable in 1 hr/night for 40 days you're playing the wrong game, sorry.
[+]
By K123 2024-01-06 16:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Abyssea is a huge no for me and would take way more time and effort than anything SE will do. Skirmish would be great, but what they really need to do is negate all need for reis aug gear (e.g. TA feet, Crit dmg feet, etc.) that are still needed.
By Seun 2024-01-06 17:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Honestly 119 Abbyssea would be amazing, they could even use most of the same assets but just boost up the reward quality and difficulty.

It's called Escha. Another Abyssea would be the third iteration at this point...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2024-01-06 20:02:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd love to see Campaign brought into relevance with more challenging enemies and more valuable rewards. They could make an entire game out of the base system they created for that. People who like to fight have literally endless stuff to do. Gatherers and crafters had Operations they could use to contribute. Other non-combatants had other unique Ops they could do, or could go around enticing mercenaries to join their nation.

The only thing I'd change is I'd come up with a better system for offensive battles other than AFK attacking a tower for 45 minutes.
[+]
By Seun 2024-01-06 20:16:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Not a bad idea if they could figure out how to make it work without heavy lag for those on more populated servers. They'd also need additional tweaks like making mobs passive until they reach their destination. People used to camp the spawns and kill everything before they even got to the fortification.

Meanwhile, Yoshi-P presenting all the actual new content to XIV players. Feels bad.
First Page 2 3 4 5