Russian Fighter Jet Shot Down By Turkey

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Russian Fighter Jet Shot Down By Turkey
Russian Fighter Jet Shot Down By Turkey
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
By Ruaumoko 2015-11-24 04:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

http://news.sky.com/story/1593241/turkey-shoots-down-russian-jet-near-border

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34907983

Reports coming in that a Russian SU-24 fighter jet that was part of the Russian contingent in Syria battling Islamic State has been shot down while in Syrian airspace near the Turkish border. Reports are also coming in that both pilots ejected but one is dead, with videos and pictures (which I won't post here for obvious reasons) circulating showing Syrian rebels with the dead body. The whereabouts of the second pilot is unknown at this stage.

Suffice to say this could, and probably will, become a major international incident. Turkey, a NATO member, has shot down a Russian warplane fighting against Islamic State when it was allegedly not in Turkish airspace. With at least one of the pilots believed to be dead already and the other one on the run in hostile territory this could get very serious very fast. The main point of contention is whether the plane was indeed in Turkish airspace or whether it was not.
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Leneth 2015-11-24 05:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

You should read your own sources... <.<;
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 08:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Can we start making mottos for WWIII yet?

I got a few:

WWIII: ***just got real.

WWIII: It's Bush's fault!

WWIII: War on Religion.
[+]
By volkom 2015-11-24 08:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

WWIII is trending on twitter
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-24 08:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

But I just started playing Fallout 4, I didn't want to experience it first hand.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2015-11-24 08:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

I got a few:

WWIII: You Only Live Once

WWIII: Thanks, Obama!

WWIII: Benghazi

WWIII: *** it, we'll do it live!

WWIII: "*** China....and Mexico." - President Donald Trump

...No?
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-24 08:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Pictures are posted in Random P&R, I like the one where the plane is leaving a giant trail of fire.
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
Server: Bahamut
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-11-24 08:58:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hope that the ejected pilots aren't captured by some extremist mob.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 08:59:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »

I got a few:

WWIII: You Only Live Once

WWIII: Thanks, Obama!

WWIII: Benghazi

WWIII: *** it, we'll do it live!

WWIII: "*** China....and Mexico." - President Donald Trump

...No?
WWIII: Survivor

WWIII: Thunderdome

WWIII: Wings of the Prophet

WWIII: Putin does Turkey

WWIII: What difference does it make?

WWIII: If you like your dictator, you can keep your dictator.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 09:00:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Pictures are posted in Random P&R, I like the one where the plane is leaving a giant trail of fire.
Don't be too excited or happy for the death of people Vic. Your warmongering ways are showing.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 09:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Vinedrius said: »
I just hope that the ejected pilots aren't captured by some extremist mob.
They were shot dead in the sky, according to Reuters:

Source

Quote:
Turkey shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border on Tuesday, saying it had repeatedly violated its air space, one of the most serious publicly acknowledged clashes between a NATO member country and Russia for half a century.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the plane had been attacked when it was 1 km (0.62 mile) inside Syria and warned of "serious consequences" for what he termed a "stab in the back". Russian and Turkish shares fell on fears of an escalation between the former Cold War enemies.

Each country summoned a diplomatic representative of the other and NATO called a meeting of its ambassadors for Tuesday afternoon.

Footage from private Turkish broadcaster Haberturk TV showed the warplane going down in flames in a woodland area, a long plume of smoke trailing behind it. The plane went down in area known by Turks as "Turkmen Mountain", it said.

Separate footage from Turkey's Anadolu Agency showed two pilots parachuting out of the jet before it crashed. A Syrian rebel group sent a video to Reuters that appeared to show one of the pilots immobile and badly wounded on the ground and an official from the group said he was dead.

Russia's defense ministry said one of its Su-24 fighter jets had been downed in Syria and that, according to preliminary information, the pilots were able to eject.

"For the entire duration of the flight, the aircraft was exclusively over Syrian territory,” it said.

The Turkish military said the aircraft had been warned 10 times in the space of five minutes about violating Turkish air space. Officials said a second plane had also approached the border and been warned.

"The data we have is very clear. There were two planes approaching our border, we warned them as they were getting too close," a senior Turkish official told Reuters.

"We warned them to avoid entering Turkish air space before they did, and we warned them many times. Our findings show clearly that Turkish air space was violated multiple times. And they violated it knowingly," the official said.

A second official said the incident was not an action against any specific country but a move to defend Turkey's sovereign territory within its rules of engagement.

Russia's decision to launch separate air strikes in Syria mean Russian and NATO planes have been flying combat missions in the same air space for the first time since World War Two, targeting various insurgent groups close to Turkish borders.

A U.S. official said U.S. forces were not involved in the downing of the Russian jet, which was the first time a Russian or Soviet military aircraft has been publicly acknowledged to have been shot down by a NATO member since the 1950s.

The incident appeared to scupper hopes of a rapprochement between Russia and the West in the wake of the Islamic State attacks in Paris, which led to calls for a united front against the radical jihadist group in Syria.

Russia's main stock index fell more than two percent, while Turkish stocks fell 1.3 percent. Both the rouble and lira were weaker.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan was briefed by the head of the military, while Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu was due to report on the incident to NATO ambassadors at 1600 GMT (11:00 a.m. ET). He also ordered consultations with the United Nations and related countries.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said the warplane crashed in a mountainous area in the northern countryside of Latakia province, where there had been aerial bombardment earlier and where pro-government forces have been battling insurgents on the ground.

"A Russian pilot," a voice is heard saying in the video sent to Reuters as men gather around the man on the ground. "God is great," is also heard.

The rebel group that sent the video operates in the northwestern area of Syria, where groups including the Free Syrian Army are active but Islamic State, which has beheaded captives in the past, has no known presence.

The official from the group, who declined to be named for security reasons, did not mention the second Russian pilot.

Broadcaster CNN Turk earlier reported that one of the pilots was in the hands of Turkmen forces in Syria who were looking for the other one, citing local sources. Russian military helicopters were also searching for the pilots, Turkey's Dogan news agency said.

Both Russia and its ally, Syria's government, have carried out strikes in the area. A Syrian military source said the reported downing was being investigated.

Turkey called this week for a U.N. Security Council meeting to discuss attacks on Turkmens in neighboring Syria, and last week Ankara summoned the Russian ambassador to protest against the bombing of their villages.

Ankara has traditionally expressed solidarity with Syrian Turkmens, who are Syrians of Turkish descent.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is due to visit Turkey on Wednesday to discuss Syria, in a trip arranged before this incident. Erdogan is meanwhile expected to visit Russia for talks with Putin in late December.

About 1,700 people have fled the mountainous Syrian area near to the Turkish border as a result of fighting in the last three days, a Turkish official said on Monday. Russian jets have bombed the area in support of ground operations by Syrian government forces.

Some Western analysts characterized the downing of the jet as a robust response by Turkey which they said created clear red lines for Russia and should thereby make further clashes less, rather than more likely.

"Reducing the margin for error in this way lowers, rather than raises, the potential for more serious clashes,” said Keir Giles, associate fellow of the Russia and Eurasia Program at Chatham House in London.

Turkmen forces in Syria shot dead the two pilots of a Russian jet downed by Turkish warplanes near the border with Turkey on Tuesday as they descended with parachutes, a deputy commander of a Turkmen brigade told reporters.

"Both of the pilots were retrieved dead. Our comrades opened fire into the air and they died in the air," Alpaslan Celik, a deputy commander in a Syrian Turkmen brigade said near the Syrian village of Yamadi as he held what he said was a piece of a pilot's parachute.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-24 09:08:07
Link | Quote | Reply

WWIII: If you like your dictator, you can keep your dictator.

Have to admit I laughed.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 10:39:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Turkey got some explaining to do

Quote:
NATO allies will hold an "extraordinary" meeting Tuesday at Ankara's request to discuss Turkey's shooting down of a Russian fighter jet along the Syrian border, an alliance official said.

"At the request of Turkey, the North Atlantic Council will hold an extraordinary meeting at (1600 GMT). The aim of this extraordinary NAC is for Turkey to inform Allies about the downing of a Russian airplane," the official told AFP.

The North Atlantic Council consists of ambassadors from the 28 NATO member states.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-24 11:58:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on the airspace violations Russia has been accused of and their instant sabre rattling about this incident, I'll be utterly shocked if Turkey is found to have been the aggressor.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 12:04:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Reuter's update

Apparently, Turkey is under the impression that the pilots are still alive and are trying to get their release.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-24 12:05:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Then who is the dead para the turkmen filmed?
By Ramyrez 2015-11-24 12:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
I mean we don't even shoot down Russians that continuously have been violating our airspace this year alone.

Please remember Top Gun was a closeted quasi-homoerotic Cold War fantasy, not a blueprint for international relations.

<_<;
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-24 12:31:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Ramyrez said: »
I mean we don't even shoot down Russians that continuously have been violating our airspace this year alone.

Please remember Top Gun was a closeted quasi-homoerotic Cold War fantasy, not a blueprint for international relations.

<_<;
You can be my wing man anytime Ramy.

***. You can be mine!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 12:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

<_<;
If Top Gun taught us anything, it's how crappy flight simulators were for the NES.

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-24 12:34:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I dunno, man. I remember thoroughly enjoying Stealth ATF

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-24 12:40:09
Link | Quote | Reply

But you don't remember these types of landings though:

[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-24 12:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Can see the videos here, can't be bothered finding a youtube version

http://tv.aftonbladet.se/abtv/articles/99775

Post deleted by User.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2015-11-24 12:45:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-11-24 12:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So, the pilots are alive and dead? There's only one explanation for this.

[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-24 13:06:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
So, the pilots are alive and dead? There's only one explanation for this.

I see your...whatever that's from...and raise you Heavy Metal.

[+]
By volkom 2015-11-24 13:52:06
Link | Quote | Reply

not sure if posted/read or not. but supposedly both pilots killed. and a russian helicopter that was sent to search/rescue the pilots was also shot down.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-24 14:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
not sure if posted/read or not. but supposedly both pilots killed. and a russian helicopter that was sent to search/rescue the pilots was also shot down.

Yeah. Not clear on anything right now because I've seen so many conflicting reports:

- Jet shot down, pilots shot parachuting.
- Jet shot down, pilots alive and captured.
- Helicopter shot down, those pilots shot.
- Helicopter shot down, those pilots alive and captured.

About the only thing I haven't read is that all the Russian pilots/crew are dead. And sadly that's the most likely circumstance.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8