Russian Fighter Jet Shot Down By Turkey

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Russian Fighter Jet Shot Down By Turkey
Russian Fighter Jet Shot Down By Turkey
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-25 09:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
But seriously, the way people here (on this website) make it sound like Russia is always flying deep in another sovereign nation's airspace all the time.

Russia has a very long history of pushing borders. They used to surface submarines in harbors and flew along the Polish border making sharp turn in and out of their airspace to provoke.

They weren't just taking a short cut, they knew exactly what they were doing. And their flight paths routinely take them into other country's airspace after repeated warnings not to.
By volkom 2015-11-25 09:29:44
Link | Quote | Reply

russia bombers/planes/jets etc~ do flybys of the US border periodically when they go to cuba or wherever

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 09:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jassik said: »
But seriously, the way people here (on this website) make it sound like Russia is always flying deep in another sovereign nation's airspace all the time.

Russia has a very long history of pushing borders. They used to surface submarines in harbors and flew along the Polish border making sharp turn in and out of their airspace to provoke.

They weren't just taking a short cut, they knew exactly what they were doing. And their flight paths routinely take them into other country's airspace after repeated warnings not to.

Honestly, if you're the type of world leader who considers your troops an expendable resource, this is a huge win for Russia. Nothing drums up nationalistic support like dead soldiers.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 09:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Russia has been provoking the border of Canada's airspace about 10 times a year.

And I bet Canada apologized for their border getting in the way of Russia's flight plans!

To employ a device of the current generation:

#TooPolite
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-25 09:39:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Havan't seen them over Italy!
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 09:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »

Russia has been provoking the border of Canada everyone's airspace about 10 times a year.

FTFY

Russia is like the "friend" in your group that's an unapologetic grapistdrunken groper but everyone likes him otherwise so they let it slide until one day he goes too far and *bam*. One of your friends has had enough and kicks him in the balls.

Edit: What the actual ***. Did the definition of "grapist" change while I wasn't looking? I mean, I know it's been like a decade since I last heard the term used in public, but c'mon.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Server: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-11-25 09:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Could Russia violate British airspace? Nothing ever happens here, it feels like the UK is everyone's Grandfather, you just leave us alone while we sit there and hope one day someone will come to visit.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 09:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Could Russia violate British airspace? Nothing ever happens here, it feels like the UK is everyone's Grandfather, you just leave us alone while we sit there and hope one day someone will come to visit.

I love the UK. You guys have some of the best television.

Though the BBC has really screwed the pooch with their handling of the Top Gear situation.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-11-25 09:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Havan't seen them over Italy!

A little insulting, frankly.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-25 09:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey let's not worry about this, I'm sure Obama will appropriately abandon a fellow NATO member to Russia's satisfaction.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-11-25 09:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I'm neither scared nor panicking. But I take things with the due seriousness unlike others.

The goal here is basically the same as with Russia poking Lithuania: Putin would like to dismantle NATO by forcing the West to abandon its treaty obligations to the Eastern fringe buffer states. Given that the way NATO membership has been extended looks an awful lot like an attempt to completely isolate Russia, I can't say I blame him.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-25 09:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think about it, the US violates more country's airspace and at a higher rate than Russia does.

We have more bases around the world than any other country. And I'm sure those pilots are making all sorts of training exercises all the time.

So, why aren't US jets being shot down constantly, besides the fact that we would open a can of whoop-*** (under any other administration, not this current one, however) quicker than you can say "invasion."
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-25 09:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Hey let's not worry about this, I'm sure Obama will appropriately abandon a fellow NATO member to Russia's satisfaction.
He will draw a red line on the sand.

[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 09:58:35
Link | Quote | Reply

He will draw a red line on the sand.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-25 10:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

I am sure no matter what Obama does you won't approve.
I'm sure that whatever Obama does, you will worship him for it.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-25 10:09:00
Link | Quote | Reply

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/turkey-violated-greek-airspace-2244-times-last-year/
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-25 10:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

worship

Really?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2015-11-25 10:13:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Obama doesn't roll on Shabbats'!
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 10:16:21
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think about it, the US violates more country's airspace and at a higher rate than Russia does.

I'm not necessarily refuting either of these things, but I do want to ask for clarification.

How are we defining "violation" in this discussion? (The posted link is decidedly short of real information and is a pretty worthless article leaving only questions and inciting leaps to conclusions.)

Are we simply talking crossing into another country's airspace period, or are we talking entering (repeatedly, apparently) after being warned that the airspace is restricted?

Military and civilian aircraft alike fly through foreign airspace all the time. It's only when they've been asked, then told, not to that it constitutes a violation, doesn't it?

Has Greece ordered Turkey to stay out of there air space, in part or in full?

Is this U.S. running missions or training exercises in airspace that we have been asked to stay out of?

These are but a few of the questions I'd have before painting things so broadly. Maybe I'm not going after as much information as I should in this instance, but the Russian-Turkey issue does not seem the same to me as the Turkey-Greece example, nor of any U.S. examples of which I am presently aware.

Though admittedly on the last, I'm not so naïve as to think the U.S. doesn't do its share of boundary testing with its frienemies. -.-;

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2015-11-25 10:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude I have no idea, I saw it, thought it was interesting, posted it. Considering the source, more needs to be asked for sure.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 10:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Dude I have no idea, I saw it, thought it was interesting, posted it. Considering the source, more needs to be asked for sure.

Which is fine. ^^

I'm just throwing out the questions I have in regard to these comments/articles.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-11-25 12:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

People/some politician here have been saying for a while that turkey just help terrorist, a lot of terrorist that come from western europe get to Sirya by Turkey so unless you're with them while would you down a jet that you know is doing to bomb terrorist ?
It's not like Turkey did not know why the Russian jet was there
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 12:30:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
Turkey so unless you're with them while would you down a jet that you know is doing to bomb terrorist ?

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things.

"If you're not with us, you're against us!" is pretty much the battlecry of extremists everywhere.

It's not like Turkey did not know why the Russian jet was there

Russia likes to poke. And governments worldwide will always use the pretense of fighting terrorism to act on other goals as well. Look at the U.S. in Iraq. -.-;
[+]
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2015-11-25 12:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Turkey so unless you're with them while would you down a jet that you know is doing to bomb terrorist ?

"If you're not with us, you're against us!" is pretty much the battlecry of extremists everywhere.

It is more like "if you're downing our plane on the way to bomb terrorist, you're with them".
By Ramyrez 2015-11-25 13:07:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

It is more like "if you're downing our plane on the way to bomb terrorist, you're with them".

It's like you completely ignored the second half of my post that put the first half in context.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8