[XIV] Heavensward Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12
By missdivine 2015-06-24 05:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Camiie said: »
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
ARR has a serious problem with trying anything remotely risky or innovative and Heavensward seems to be confirmation of more of the same going forward. It makes a lot of sense given the game's real world context, but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

Except for indies that sounds like the entire gaming industry these days.

fair

Don't get me wrong, it was not meant as a defense of SE. They're as guilty as anyone of relying heavily on status-quo sequels, HD remasters, and copycat games rather than taking risks and innovating. XIV is itself a copycat game of WoW and Heavensward is essentially a status-quo sequel. There is simply no innovation at all in the MMO genre, and SE is doing absolutely nothing to change that. It's really rather sad.

[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2015-06-24 05:10:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I'll never understand people masturbating over "muh indies" in 2015. It really show one's ignorance.

I get the feeling you don't understand a lot of things yet, but you'll learn as you grow up, kiddo. I simply said that they produce games that are outside the norm. At no point did I say that they could do no wrong. Most indie games are awful, just like 90% of everything is crap. But, at least they generally try something different. The industry as a whole is just stuck in a repetitive rut, and once you escape the ignorance of your youth you'll come to see that. Of course, maybe things will have changed by then. I certainly hope so.
Come back to me when 1) you have actual knowledge about the video game industry and indies and 2)
Quote:
Then again, people see the industry as something magical when they talk about companies they like and as greedy tyrants when it's companies they don't fancy.
If you had half a brain and had reached any kind of wisdom, you'd have understood that this black and white vision is yours.

You're so high on your horse than you completely forgot to check in at humility hotel.

Indies seem to be more "outside the norm" for the simple reason that people like you will never pay attention to the games developpes/published by big companies unless they have their article on IGN or any other waste of data like Destructoid and many others I forget, but just as toilet paper tier.

Talk about growing up, start filing your brain with more information about what you talk about instead of being an ignorant literally who.

Dude is talking about SE, the company that has released 4 or 5 (actually more like 8, if not more, I Stopped counting in 2014) failures in the past 4 years. All of them were "risks", but yeah, let's focus on FFXIV being the only counter example you have. 10/10 argumentation grandpa, I hope to be as good as you when it comes to looking like an older version of the same idiot.
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-06-24 06:23:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's knock it off with the personal insults. Stick to the topic.
[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Server: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-06-24 06:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

missdivine said: »
ARR has a serious problem with trying anything remotely risky or innovative and Heavensward seems to be confirmation of more of the same going forward. It makes a lot of sense given the game's real world context, but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

Except for indies that sounds like the entire gaming industry these days.

fair

Don't get me wrong, it was not meant as a defense of SE. They're as guilty as anyone of relying heavily on status-quo sequels, HD remasters, and copycat games rather than taking risks and innovating. XIV is itself a copycat game of WoW and Heavensward is essentially a status-quo sequel. There is simply no innovation at all in the MMO genre, and SE is doing absolutely nothing to change that. It's really rather sad.

I'm not judging either game as good or bad here. I'm just saying that they follow the same standard formula. Are there differences? Sure, but they aren't exactly stark. Sorry if I made it seem like I was bashing the game. Yeah I did basically call it unoriginal, and I am sorry if that was offensive, but do you honestly think XIV is a groundbreaking title?
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2015-06-24 06:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not judging either game as good or bad here. I'm just saying that they follow the same standard formula. Are there differences? Sure, but they aren't exactly stark. Sorry if I made it seem like I was bashing the game. Yeah I did basically call it unoriginal, and I am sorry if that was offensive, but do you honestly think XIV is a groundbreaking title?

I don't get why 'WoW-clone' is an insult, anyway. It's the most commercially successful MMO of all time for a reason. And FFXIV is, in my experience anyway, the best possible version of that model. It has flaws like all games do, but Yoshi-P flat out said, in the development/alpha/beta phases, that they were looking to construct a more 'traditional' MMO experience. They don't think it's an insult, why should we?
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Server: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2015-06-24 06:55:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »

I don't get why 'WoW-clone' is an insult, anyway. It's the most commercially successful MMO of all time for a reason. And FFXIV is, in my experience anyway, the best possible version of that model. It has flaws like all games do, but Yoshi-P flat out said, in the development/alpha/beta phases, that they were looking to construct a more 'traditional' MMO experience. They don't think it's an insult, why should we?

Because many players here have developed a pretty stagnant hatred for WoW over the years, I myself really dislike WoW. I never understood why it was so popular, I tried it like 3-4x and i just couldn't get into it at all, even at the request of many RL friends lol.

I just thought everything about it was so mediocre, that i couldn't fathom why people were flocking to it.

at the time i had just came from playing Ragnarok Online, and discovered FFXI, so to me, both of those MMO's largely outclassed everything WoW vanilla had to offer. Also the biggest drawback honestly was the graphics, I remember looking at WoW 1.0 and just cringing lol. Even the overhauled graphics in WoW current aren't that great.

The Truth is, that FF14 IS a WoW clone, but not an EXACT clone. They copied many of the aspects of WoW that made it popular and "fun" but amped everything up several dozen notches, Graphics,Environments, Gameplay, Music, and Storyline. Everything about 14 is done so much better than WoW has ever done it. (other than pvp ofc)

I mean, this storyline is *** fantastic....Other than FF11, I've never found many MMO's very engaging with the player as much as 14 has done. I almost never skip cutscenes (especially Voice over ones :Q) unlike many MMO's I've played in the past, because I never got drawn into a good story like i have with 14.

In my opinion, 14 is worth buying just for the storyline. Even if you don't touch a lick of endgame and unsubscribe once you beat the main story + expansion story. It's worth the price. and that's something most/many MMO's don't bring to the table.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2015-06-24 07:32:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
Because many players here have developed a pretty stagnant hatred for WoW over the years, I myself really dislike WoW. I never understood why it was so popular, I tried it like 3-4x and i just couldn't get into it at all, even at the request of many RL friends lol.
So much this.

Some people use it as an attack cudgel to beat something they don't like.
Others, more reasonable folk IMO, use it as a gauge to check if they would actually enjoy the time investment.

And it's not like that latter category isn't something most EVERYONE does.
For instance, I don't like shooters. Period. I don't enjoy any of their mechanics so if a new one comes out, I'm not going to waste my life with it... because it's just another shooter to me.

I think the MMO thing is more touchy because of the emotional investment people put into them, and the fact that humans want to be super special snowflakes... and a part of being super special snowflakes, at least here in America, is being the best.
So when someone, rightly so in this case, points out that one product is derivative of another, people get all offended that their beloved time waster is not the greatest, bestest, superest, specialest snowflake of all the games. (Because that's what their emotional investment in it demands of them. You can see similar things throughout gaming as well as all of history.)
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-06-24 08:07:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Question for those insane souls who have hit 60 already.

I'm going through the main storyline, and hitting a constant point now where it seems I'm clearing out all the quests in an area to level up to keep doing the main storyline due to level requirements, and this has me wondering, just how painful is it to level up a new job from 50-60?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-06-24 08:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you mean with no main scenario and quests? Probably not very if you do all your roulettes each day and clan hunts
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2015-06-24 08:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chilzen said: »
Question for those insane souls who have hit 60 already.

I'm going through the main storyline, and hitting a constant point now where it seems I'm clearing out all the quests in an area to level up to keep doing the main storyline due to level requirements, and this has me wondering, just how painful is it to level up a new job from 50-60?
Not super bad since for any job under the level of your highest you get an exp bonus.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-06-24 08:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Rooks said: »

To be clear, I don't object to XIV being a WoW clone, I object to the way the game consciously stagnates. Each of WoW's expansions change the game in meaningful (often controversial!) ways. It keeps things fresh for people who've been playing for a decade. ARR, OTOH, tried very hard to remain Wrath of the Lich King and Heavensward is the same.

Three new dungeons every patch structured the exact same way as the last three in the last patch, maybe a new token to grind every other patch, and if you're lucky you might get a random minigame that's carefully structured to not be rewarding enough to make you feel like you have to stop doing WotLK stuff. People praise the speed with which new content is released compared to WoW, but it's kind of easy to do that (money permitting) when you never bother to sit down and think up anything new (see: Dynasty Warriors + spinoffs).

So, short version is it's not even a WoW clone; it's a Wrath of the Lich King clone. Saying it's a (very good) WoW clone ignores what has kept WoW alive, because even though subs are declining nobody would be playing at all after 7 years of WotLK.
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-06-24 08:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Really? Most of the jobs at 60 have new rotations to relearn and certain jobs play completely differently now compared to 1.0 and 2.0.

SMN is now the king of AoE and burst damage 200 potency AoE hitting everything going for full potency, 400 AoE again hitting of full potency, bane now infects every target in range though after 3 mobs dots do half damage. Ruin III spam every time trance is up.

BRD gets a damage buff song which turns all weapons skills into casted which means they cant run nor can you have off GCD stuff in the same macro since everything is casted. Massive change in how the job is played.

Those are the only two I've really stopped a looked at atm since smn is my main and BRD was my raid off job. MCH is probably going to now be my raiding job and the combos differ a lot from those of 2.0. It works off a proc system you proc the first hit to move onto the second unless you have ammo and that makes it 100% proc rate.

Because of flying each zone is now 5 times larger than those in 2.0 and it's not copy pasted through out the zone each part is individual.

I can't really go into the bosses much due to spoilers but one boss particularly can change its form and can use a wide range of abilities so you have to focus on what is happening.

You say WoW changes a lot every expansion but it's still pretty much quest based to level up nothing has really changed about that it's still the same old same old.

In all seriousness if you don't like heavensward or ARR then that's fine **** off and stop moaning about an expansion you haven't even played.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-06-24 09:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Really? Most of the jobs at 60 have new rotations to relearn and certain jobs play completely differently now compared to 1.0 and 2.0.

If you want the devs to completely rebalance your class and destroy your rotation, WoW will do that for you several times in the course of an expansion, for free!

Quote:
You say WoW changes a lot every expansion but it's still pretty much quest based to level up nothing has really changed about that it's still the same old same old.

This is only true in the sense that there are quests that you complete for XP, which gains you levels; there's some pretty novel and memorable quests in every expansion (not every quest, obviously; probably one out of every ten, I'd say), way more than XIV. Even then, you're ignoring everything that happens at the level cap, which is all anyone cares about after the first week.

Quote:
In all seriousness if you don't like heavensward or ARR then that's fine **** off and stop moaning about an expansion you haven't even played.

You know what? You're right. Enjoy your pandering ***game, everybody! Truly the resurgence of the Final Fantasy brand!
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-06-24 09:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

If you want the devs to completely rebalance your class and destroy your rotation, WoW will do that for you several times in the course of an expansion, for free!

Quote:

This is only true in the sense that there are quests that you complete for XP, which gains you levels; there's some pretty novel and memorable quests in every expansion (not every quest, obviously; probably one out of every ten, I'd say), way more than XIV. Even then, you're ignore everything that happens at the level cap, which is all anyone cares about after the first week.

Quote:

You know what? You're right. Enjoy your pandering ***game, everybody! Truly the resurgence of the Final Fantasy brand!

For free? so WoW has gone F2P has it? well that's dieing off then.

There are a lot of memorable quests in heavensward and the MSQ are absolutely amazing especially when a certain thing teams up with you. The after credits cutscene is very WTF shocking plot twist.

For that last part good riddance you want this that and the other and SE won't do what you like from WoW and thus ***** about everything. You talk about pandering you are doing exactly the same you want them to pander to your "needs" but moan they are pandering to others instead. Well you are but one drop in the ocean and the vast majority like what has happened in heavensward and a lot of players the OF have been asking this that and the other and some of the better things are being added.
 Bismarck.Misao
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-06-24 09:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

so bitter.
lol
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-06-24 09:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

No, just that rebalancing classes to the point of being unrecognizable is a time-honored way to trick rubes into thinking your game has more content than it does.

Games Workshop's been doing it for like 30 years.

Bismarck.Misao said: »
so bitter.
lol

"Bitter" isn't the right word, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that the FF brand, after a decade of taking risks, batting about .500 on them, and suffering greatly for doing so is finally getting recognition and acclaim from doing the most boring and predictable ***possible.
 Asura.Rinuko
user: Rinuko
By Asura.Rinuko 2015-06-24 10:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I see so much side tracked comments in this thread
 Bismarck.Alyora
VIP
user: alyria
By Bismarck.Alyora 2015-06-24 10:15:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't wait to sit and play this weekend. Had access early but haven't got to really sit to play it.
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-06-24 10:35:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

No, just that rebalancing classes to the point of being unrecognizable is a time-honored way to trick rubes into thinking your game has more content than it does.

Games Workshop's been doing it for like 30 years.

Bismarck.Misao said: »
so bitter.
lol

"Bitter" isn't the right word, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that the FF brand, after a decade of taking risks, batting about .500 on them, and suffering greatly for doing so is finally getting recognition and acclaim from doing the most boring and predictable ***possible.

Yes they are adjustments not content, i dont know why people would think otherwise, but you brought up changing core systems In WoW so I brought up a core system change that SE has done since that was one of the things you said SE doesn't do. Changing a jobs core play stay is a massive adjustment and shouldn't really be played down like what you are doing especially seeing how little amount of time the 2.0 jobs have been around.

Though your whole argument is based on WoW does this so XIV should do this too. So they change the jobs battle system every now and again it doesn't mean every MMO should follow suit just so they follow the "status quo" of one game. Let's be honest most MMOS these days aren't original and WoW certainly isn't seeing as how the last one has had you travel back in time to stop some plan to where the bad guy uses their knowledge and tech to start changing the future in the past.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-06-24 11:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I won't say rebalancing classes isn't changing core systems, but there is a difference between new content and shuffling the deck so that the player has to press buttons in a slightly different order to do the same stuff.

You are still grinding tomestones in roulettes with the same structure and same goals. You are still crafting the same sorts of stuff to use in the same ways. You are still working through the same quest structure. You still lack any other approach to advance your character at level cap.

WoW's advancement is far from perfect but it's never been "get valor points or give up".

Quote:
Let's be honest most MMOS these days aren't original and WoW certainly isn't seeing as how the last one has had you travel back in time to stop some plan to where the bad guy uses their knowledge and tech to start changing the future in the past.

When did I say anything about the writing?
 Bahamut.Aramachus
Server: Bahamut
user: Aramachus
By Bahamut.Aramachus 2015-06-24 11:11:55
Link | Quote | Reply

just to throw in a point about NOT changing the core with every update... I wish ffxi didnt have item levels. and actually I wished they never touched the level cap of 75, both these changes were accompanied by some stuff that did change the game experience in a fundamental way.
not sure about XIV though, as much as I think it doesnt survive radical changes, I would like to see some as I am not a fan of the ARR job and battle system.
and Im one of the people Ghaleon mentioned that would buy the game just for the storyline without getting into endgame. The story is awesome, I dont like the endgame at all.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Ackeronll
user: Ackeron
By Asura.Ackeronll 2015-06-24 12:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So how about that DRK Lv30 quest. Pretty damn cool.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-06-24 12:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kaitaru said: »
I am in full agreement with the second part, I highly doubt an major changes with endgame so I will more than likely peace out after I'm done with the MSQ.

A good bit of that still forces you to go through Duty Finder for story dungeons or bosses though right? 'cause it's fun when solo, but I absolutely hate being stuck doing content through that. Pretty much ruins the game for me.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Isiolia
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2015-06-24 12:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Most stuff you grind like that gets repetitive. The issue with Duty Finder there is people aren't on the same page. So when they do the more interesting fight mechanics, you inevitably have someone that hasn't seen it yet, or experienced it in a particular role, etc. Meanwhile half the party wants to speed run it, and so on.

For those of us that have anxiety about pickup crap in general, it's just profoundly un-fun. Same as I like playing FPS games with friends well enough, but wouldn't touch online play with a ten foot cattle prod. Would have been nice if they worked in solo-challenge modes for that too, like they do for AF/etc.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2015-06-24 12:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Isiolia said: »
For those of us that have anxiety about pickup crap in general, it's just profoundly un-fun

I know why the Duty Finder is needed, but I absolutely hated it, mostly for this reason. I know it's not all that different from joining shout groups in XI, but I hated those too (so at least I'm consistent).
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 10 11 12