All For One, And More For Me: A Guide To Red Mage

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » All for One, and More for Me: A Guide to Red Mage
All for One, and More for Me: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 28 29 30
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-10-06 14:05:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Psylo said: »
Damn is good, with light day/weather proc ?

Show your set, i'm curious

Yeah I go /sch and use ele belt, I don't have any cure II potency yet and need to get more healing skill, I sit at 508 skill and right now. 99+176mnd (without gain-mnd up) 99+201 with.

I maxed out at 1380 cure 4 on self with
511 healing skill

I spent an hour running back in and out of mog house resetting timer to be able to convert and spam cures, over and over I got these same numbers.

99+201 mnd and 511 skill self cure 4 1380
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-07 02:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Omnijuggernaut said: »

Yeah I go /sch and use ele belt, I don't have any cure II potency yet and need to get more healing skill, I sit at 508 skill and right now. 99+176mnd (without gain-mnd up) 99+201 with.

511 healing skill

I spent an hour running back in and out of mog house resetting timer to be able to convert and spam cures, over and over I got these same numbers.

How are you getting +201 MND? Gain-MND? You have +177 MND in gear shown:

+19 MND weapon
+4 MND ammo
+33 MND head
+4 MND ear
+35 MND body
+34 MND hands (assuming you put +8 MND augment)
+29 MND legs
+19 MND feet

If that is the case you can get your Gain-MND to go one higher with a little bit more enhancing skill.

To improve upon your amount cured you could use Beatific Earring (or another MND+ earring) over Psystorm Earring as that doesn't improve amount cured (unless you were going for the enmity - in which case Domesticator's Earring gives -5, or Cytherea Pearl gives -4). As for your Rings, changing out a Haoma's Ring for a Sirona's Ring or Kunaji Ring will give better results. If you find yourself not going /sch and not being able to benefit from ele belt, then could use Gishdubar Sash or even Chuq'aba Belt. Also recommend Phalaina Locket over Nodens Gorget. Obviously could improve even more having Kaykaus+1 gear, but good luck getting those.

Edit: after further analysis I see that your cure Power is over 700... Power = floor(MND÷2) + floor(VIT÷4) + Healing Magic Skill. In which case adding MND/VIT/Healing Skill will not help as Cure 4 caps at 700 Power. You would gain more benefit by converting some of your equipment over to cure potency received, which caps at 30%.
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-10-07 09:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »

511 healing skill

How are you getting +201 MND? Gain-MND? You have +177 MND in gear shown:

+19 MND weapon
+4 MND ammo
+33 MND head
+4 MND ear
+35 MND body
+34 MND hands (assuming you put +8 MND augment)
+29 MND legs
+19 MND feet

If that is the case you can get your Gain-MND to go one higher with a little bit more enhancing skill.

To improve upon your amount cured you could use Beatific Earring (or another MND+ earring) over Psystorm Earring as that doesn't improve amount cured (unless you were going for the enmity - in which case Domesticator's Earring gives -5, or Cytherea Pearl gives -4). As for your Rings, changing out a Haoma's Ring for a Sirona's Ring or Kunaji Ring will give better results. If you find yourself not going /sch and not being able to benefit from ele belt, then could use Gishdubar Sash or even Chuq'aba Belt. Also recommend Phalaina Locket over Nodens Gorget. Obviously could improve even more having Kaykaus+1 gear, but good luck getting those.

Edit: after further analysis I see that your cure Power is over 700... Power = floor(MND÷2) + floor(VIT÷4) + Healing Magic Skill. In which case adding MND/VIT/Healing Skill will not help as Cure 4 caps at 700 Power. You would gain more benefit by converting some of your equipment over to cure potency received, which caps at 30%.

Yes gain-mnd is on,
as for the gishdubar sash it has yet to drop, I do use kunaji ring in self cast with the Asklepian, I forgot to mention I was doing so in my sets.

I will have to check my gear and find out what I am missing, I know I have over 585 enhancing so missing 1 in stat from gain-spell something may not be logging with my casting. I have checked in the past and got +25 in gain-spell so I will double check.

I wasn't sure the Chuq'aba would beat the obi with weather bonus so I hadn't even considered it at this point. I know I need more cure pot received but I haven't begun on that just yet, I just started in on more than just cure pot for this character. For a while I was happy with just +50% until I started getting caught up on more avenues.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-07 21:24:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes gain-mnd is on,
as for the gishdubar sash it has yet to drop, I do use kunaji ring in self cast with the Asklepian, I forgot to mention I was doing so in my sets.

I will have to check my gear and find out what I am missing, I know I have over 585 enhancing so missing 1 in stat from gain-spell something may not be logging with my casting. I have checked in the past and got +25 in gain-spell so I will double check.

I wasn't sure the Chuq'aba would beat the obi with weather bonus so I hadn't even considered it at this point. I know I need more cure pot received but I haven't begun on that just yet, I just started in on more than just cure pot for this character. For a while I was happy with just +50% until I started getting caught up on more avenues.

If you are getting the obi bonus that will be better, but the other waist pieces I mentioned will be your best options if you cannot gain the bonus of the obi (i.e.: when you aren't subbed SCH).
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-09 02:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes gain-mnd is on,

I was just over on the WHM forums and they were talking about cure potency and brought up a good idea. Iridal/Chatoyant Staff. Since you can get Iridescence on top of cure potency, you could see quite the boost to your cures if you force it with aurastorm. To make up for the difference in cure potency from serenity to chatoyant, you could swap out your head with augmented gendewitha or augmented vanya. You could also swap out your two earrings for the two 5% cure potency earrings. By doing that, that would open up your legs to be telchine augmented with cure potency received.
[+]
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-10-09 10:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes gain-mnd is on,

I was just over on the WHM forums and they were talking about cure potency and brought up a good idea. Iridal/Chatoyant Staff. Since you can get Iridescence on top of cure potency, you could see quite the boost to your cures if you force it with aurastorm. To make up for the difference in cure potency from serenity to chatoyant, you could swap out your head with augmented gendewitha or augmented vanya. You could also swap out your two earrings for the two 5% cure potency earrings. By doing that, that would open up your legs to be telchine augmented with cure potency received.

Those are some really good idea's thanks.

I believe this set caps cure pot/received and still uses path B on feet for skill and both weather bonus items.

ItemSet 338554

Now to max get the rest of venerian gear to redo the cure set all over again
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-10 00:03:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Venerian are the abjurations for nuking gear. You'll want the Cyllenian abjurations for curing.
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-10-10 00:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Venerian are the abjurations for nuking gear. You'll want the Cyllenian abjurations for curing.

Thats right, I get the two mixed up, I know I have like 3/5 on both
 Asura.Nunzio
By Asura.Nunzio 2015-10-10 02:33:43
Link | Quote | Reply

What about reforged AF legs instead? +10% cure potency, +13 healing magic skill. That would be a srs boost as compared to augmented telchine.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-10 06:49:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Nunzio said: »
What about reforged AF legs instead? +10% cure potency, +13 healing magic skill. That would be a srs boost as compared to augmented telchine.

No. His set he showed is already at capped cure potency. So the augmented telchine with cure potency received is better.
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-10-10 08:31:43
Link | Quote | Reply

But, all of your set include staff, but during melee situation, which set use, atm in DD mode, when i cure myself, i get @ max 980 hp with cure IV.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-10 09:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

But, all of your set include staff, but during melee situation, which set use, atm in DD mode, when i cure myself, i get @ max 980 hp with cure IV.

For melee, if you don't have Kaykaus +1, I recommend:

Head - Gendewitha +1 or Vanya augmented with cure potency+
Ammo - Quartz Tathlum +1 or Oreiad's Tathlum
Neck - Phalaina Locket
Ear1 - Roundel Earring
Ear2 - Mendicant Earring
Body - Vitivation Tabard +1
Hands - Buremte Gloves (MND+8 augment)
Finger1 - Kunaji Ring
Finger2 - Janniston Ring or Sirona's Ring
Back - Tempered Cape +1
Waist - Gishdubar Sash
Legs - Atrophy Tights +1
Feet - Vanya Clogs (path B augment)

If you can't get Gishdubar Sash, then use Chuq'aba Belt and swap Finger2 with Asklepian Ring.
[+]
 Asura.Blittzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blittzjr 2015-10-13 15:53:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo Protey would dual Emissary's Path D be best for dual wield nuking?
 Asura.Psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-10-13 15:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

rubicundity have better stat in pure nuking dual.
 Asura.Blittzjr
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blittzjr 2015-10-13 17:40:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you sir. Wasnt even away of this item lol
 Phoenix.Skyfire
Server: Phoenix
user: nightkidz
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-10-19 04:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

main - Chatoyant Staff
ammo - Oreiad's tathlum
head - Vanya Hood
body - Despair Mail
back - Twilight Cape
waist - Korin Obi
neck - Phalaina Locket
hands - Buremte Gloves
legs - Atrophy Tights +1
feet - Vanya Clogs
ring1 - Kunaji Ring
ring2 - Asklepian Ring
ear1 - Mendicant's Earring
ear2 - Roundel Earring

with light arts, gain-mnd, and aurorastorm I am getting 1523 cure IV's on myself.

I know there is room for improvement.
What I am trying to find though is -enmity to sub in for when main healing. Any suggestions, that won't sacrifice to much cure power?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-19 08:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Skyfire said: »
main - Chatoyant Staff
ammo - Oreiad's tathlum
head - Vanya Hood
body - Despair Mail
back - Twilight Cape
waist - Korin Obi
neck - Phalaina Locket
hands - Buremte Gloves
legs - Atrophy Tights +1
feet - Vanya Clogs
ring1 - Kunaji Ring
ring2 - Asklepian Ring
ear1 - Mendicant's Earring
ear2 - Roundel Earring

with light arts, gain-mnd, and aurorastorm I am getting 1523 cure IV's on myself.

I know there is room for improvement.
What I am trying to find though is -enmity to sub in for when main healing. Any suggestions, that won't sacrifice to much cure power?

You could put gendewitha head +1, which you can augment with the same amount of cure potency as vanya head, but gendewitha head +1 has more enmity -. Can also swap out that ammo for Esper Stone+1. It's difficult to tell what else to change because I don't know your stats (total MND after gain-MND, VIT, healing skill while under light arts).
 Phoenix.Skyfire
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-10-19 13:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Total mnd with gain-mnd is 276. In light arts my healing magic skill is 493.

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I did not even consider the Gendewitha Head.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-19 13:51:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Total mnd with gain-mnd is 276. In light arts my healing magic skill is 493.

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I did not even consider the Gendewitha Head.

For your grip I recommend Achaq grip (you didn't say what you had there, and this gives MND+4 and -4 enmity). You could also swap out your legs with Vanya Slops path A for -6 enmity. You will still be capped cure potency and the loss of 13 skill isn't that big of a hit (it's about 13 HP loss cured on yourself using Cure IV with your setup).
 Phoenix.Skyfire
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-10-21 20:21:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Are Uk'uxkaj Boots still used for potency of enfeebles? For instance Frazzle/distract, do I want those in my set for these or just focus on landing them on high-end content?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-21 20:53:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Are Uk'uxkaj Boots still used for potency of enfeebles? For instance Frazzle/distract, do I want those in my set for these or just focus on landing them on high-end content?

They can still be used, and it depends on whether or not you have difficulty landing. Typically if you have a GEO giving you magic accuracy up and magic evasion down on the mob you will have no problem landing stuff on almost all high end content. Without GEO there will be a few NMs you will have difficulty.
 Phoenix.Skyfire
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-10-21 23:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So with 550 Skill and an ample amount of Magic accuracy landing shouldn't be much of an issue?

I ask only because did an Undead Vagary Chamber today and I couldn't land frazzle II for the life of me. That was also with Geo-m.Acc on.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-22 08:57:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So with 550 Skill and an ample amount of Magic accuracy landing shouldn't be much of an issue?

I ask only because did an Undead Vagary Chamber today and I couldn't land frazzle II for the life of me. That was also with Geo-m.Acc on.

Yea, the fomors after the first wave are really difficult to land enfeebles on. Even with awesome gear and 1200 JP. I don't even bother to cast anything but dia 3 on them. The NMs though you can enfeeble, at least slow2, paralyze2, poison2, addle2, and inundation; not sure about frazzle as the group I roll with relies mainly on RNGs and a couple melee for damage.
By stuntmandan 2015-10-22 21:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Can someone post their lua that has the 2 different enhancing sets for "self" and "others"? Mine works fine for "self", just having issues with "others". Thx in advance.
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-10-23 00:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

stuntmandan said: »
Can someone post their lua that has the 2 different enhancing sets for "self" and "others"? Mine works fine for "self", just having issues with "others". Thx in advance.
Code
sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'] = {
		head="Befouled crown",neck="Colossus's Torque",ear1="Andoaa earring",ear2="Augmenting earring",
		body="Vitivation tabard +1",hands="Atrophy gloves +1",ring1="Weatherspoon ring",
		back="Ghostfyre cape",waist="Olympus Sash",legs="Atrophy tights +1",feet="Lethargy Houseaux +1"}

sets.midcast.Stoneskin = {head="Atrophy chapeau +1",
        neck="Nodens gorget",ear1="Loquacious Earring",ear2="Earthcry earring",
        body="Vitivation tabard +1",hands="Stone mufflers",ring1="Weatherspoon ring",
        back="Swith cape +1",waist="Siegel Sash",legs="Shedir Seraweels"}

sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'].Refresh = set_combine(sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'],{legs="Lethargy fuseau +1"})

sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'].EnSpells = set_combine(sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'],{ear2="Hollow Earring",hands="Vitivation Gloves +1"})

sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'].GainSpells = set_combine(sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'],{hands="Vitivation Gloves +1"})

sets.midcast.EnhancingDuration = {head="Telchine Cap",body="Telchine Chasuble",legs="Telchine Braconi"}

sets.buff.ComposureOther = {head="Lethargy Chappel +1",body="Lethargy Sayon +1",legs="Lethargy Fuseau +1",feet="Lethargy Houseaux +1"}

sets.midcast.Protect = {ring2="Sheltered Ring"}
	sets.midcast.Shell = sets.midcast.Protect

sets.midcast.Phalanx = set_combine(sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic'],{main="Egeking"})

and rule I have as
Code
function job_post_midcast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
	if spell.skill == 'Enfeebling Magic' and state.Buff.Saboteur then
        equip(sets.buff.Saboteur)
    elseif spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and spell.english:startswith('Aero') then
        equip({main="Marin Staff +1"})
	elseif spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and spell.english:startswith('Anemo') then
        equip({main="Marin Staff +1"})
	elseif spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and spell.english:startswith('Bliz') then
        equip({main="Ngqoqwanb"})
	elseif spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and spell.english:startswith('Cryo') then
        equip({main="Ngqoqwanb"})
	elseif spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' and not spell.english == 'Stoneskin' then
        equip(sets.midcast.EnhancingDuration)
        if buffactive.composure and spell.target.type == 'PLAYER' then
            equip(sets.buff.ComposureOther)
        end
    end
end

function job_get_spell_map(spell, default_spell_map)
	if spell.action_type == 'Magic' then
		if spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' then
			if spell.english:startswith('En') then
				return 'EnSpells'
			elseif spell.english:startswith('Refresh') then
				return 'Refresh'
			elseif spell.english:startswith('Gain') then
				return 'GainSpells'
			end
		elseif spellMap == 'Cure' and spell.target.type == 'SELF' then
			equip(sets.midcast.CureSelf)
		end
	end
end
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-23 02:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah that's way more complicated then it needs to be. Just have two gear sets for whichever spell your casting, one for Enhancing_Self and another that's Enhancing_Other. Then during midcast have a
Code
     if spell.target.type == 'SELF' then
          equip(Enhancing_Self)
     else
          equip(Enhancing_Other)
     end
elseif spell.skill == 'blah blah blah

Casting on yourself is a binary situation, you either are or are not. So just check to see if you are and if so use that set, otherwise all other casting must be on others and thus use that set. You can bring this further by separating the enhancing down by type and weather you want to focus on +potency or +duration.

Unless someone is either a trained coder or an export in lua I would highly recommend always using simple solutions. I've seen nothing but problems with normal folks take some crazy complex GS and then attempt to update / modify it. I've spent hours debugging people's lua files and ultimately always recommend following the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle.
 Asura.Yeira
By Asura.Yeira 2015-10-26 13:25:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Omni is actually correct to do what he does. One set should be for enhancing magic that does not rely on skill (max duration if not refresh) and another set should be for spells like temper where you want to get 500 skill but mix in enhancing duration as well since it's relatively easy to get 500 skill.

Edit Edit: Fixed. TLDR: You need some special cases in Mote-Mappings.lua to get EnhancingDuration to work or do what Omni does but include a section for MB!
Code
function job_post_midcast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
    if spell.skill == 'Enfeebling Magic' and state.Buff.Saboteur then
        equip(sets.buff.Saboteur)
	elseif spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' and state.MagicBurst.value then
        equip(sets.magic_burst)	
	elseif spellMap == 'Cure' and spell.target.type == 'SELF' then
            equip(sets.midcast.CureSelf)	
    elseif spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' and buffactive.composure and spell.target.type == 'SELF' then
        equip(sets.midcast.EnhancingDuration)
    elseif spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' and buffactive.composure and spell.target.type == 'PLAYER' then
        equip(sets.buff.ComposureOther)
    end
end

function job_get_spell_map(spell, default_spell_map)
    if spell.action_type == 'Magic' then
            if spell.english:startswith('En') then
                return 'EnSpells'
            elseif spell.english:startswith('Refresh') then
                return 'Refresh'
            elseif spell.english:startswith('Gain') then
                return 'GainSpells'
            elseif spell.english:startswith('Bar') then
                return 'BarSpells'
            elseif spell.english:startswith('Temper') then
                return 'Temper'
            elseif spell.english:startswith('Regen') then
                return 'Regen'
			elseif spell.english:startswith('Haste') then
				return 'Haste'	
            end
        end
    end
end

function job_aftercast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
    if not spell.interrupted and spell.skill == 'Elemental Magic' then
            state.MagicBurst:reset()
    end
end

Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-10-27 04:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yeira said: »
Omni is actually correct to do what he does. One set should be for enhancing magic that does not rely on skill (max duration if not refresh) and another set should be for spells like temper where you want to get 500 skill but mix in enhancing duration as well since it's relatively easy to get 500 skill.

*Cough*

Asura.Saevel said: »
You can bring this further by separating the enhancing down by type and whether you want to focus on +potency or +duration.

I just outlined some basic logic to use instead of hoping those additional functions work the way you want them to. In my own lua file I defined two arrays and two different gear sets, one for max potency and another for max duration. The arrays are your basic S{"Spell 1","Spell 2"}. The logic checks to see if spell.name:contains comes true and then executes the appropriate gear selections.

I always try to use the least complex logic path for the actual executable code even if it means slightly larger data sets. This way there is the fewest number of moving parts or places for something to break or "not work right". Again it's from debugging so many people's lua's, usually one of the "Mote's" variety that's been modified, posted, edited, reposted and eventually this poor sap, who doesn't have any coding experience, is trying to get it to swap into gear A in situation B and it's just failing completely.

:Edit:

Ok here we go.

First we statically define exactly which spells are what. This makes it piss easy for some random third party to update or modify it in the future without breaking something else. Self_Spells are spells that can only be cast on oneself and tend to require enhancing potency. FC_Spells is an old name from spellcast days and I'm too lazy to change it, it's the spells that need duration and / or are expected to be cast on others.
Code
Self_Spells = S{"Enstone","Enwater","Enaero","Enfire","Enblizzard","Enthunder","Enstone II","Enwater II","Enaero II","Enfire II","Enblizzard II","Enthunder II","Temper","Gain-STR","Gain-DEX","Gain-MND","Gain-INT","Gain-VIT","Gain-AGI","Gain-CHR","Stoneskin","Aquaveil","Phalanx"}
FC_Spells = S{"Flurry II","Haste II","Haste","Utsusemi: Ichi","Utsusemi: Ni","Refresh","Refresh II","Regen","Regen II","Firestorm","Hailstorm","Windstorm","Rainstorm","Sandstorm","Voidstorm","Aurorastorm"}

Then in sets area you define each set either individually or using combine logic.

Then in logic section we explicitly say exactly what we're doing using simple Boolean checks. No extraneous functions or variable checking, no required third party libraries, no includes, just basic if / then / else logic with echoed feedback to let the user know what it's doing. I try to keep this as easy to debug and edit as possible just in case someone screws something up.
 Asura.Psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-10-27 06:56:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Was thinking about this combo :

+

VERSUS

+

So basicly MAS 228 MA 46 <=> MAS 215 MA 46 INT21 MND6
(if club full augment)
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-27 09:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Yeira said: »

Temper 1 and 2, as well as enspells, do not cap at 500 skill. So I do not recommend sacrificing skill for duration with them as you are hurting your DPS significantly by doing so.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 28 29 30