All For One, And More For Me: A Guide To Red Mage

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » All for One, and More for Me: A Guide to Red Mage
All for One, and More for Me: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 28 29 30
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2015-10-27 09:47:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Protey said: »
Asura.Yeira said: »
Omni is actually correct to do what he does. One set should be for enhancing magic that does not rely on skill (max duration if not refresh) and another set should be for spells like temper where you want to get 500 skill but mix in enhancing duration as well since it's relatively easy to get 500 skill.

Temper 1 and 2, as well as enspells, do not cap at 500 skill. So I do not recommend sacrificing skill for duration with them as you are hurting your DPS significantly by doing so.

I haven't done much RDM lately, did they change it so enspell is calculated on cast or is it still during each hit?
 Leviathan.Protey
Server: Leviathan
user: Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-27 10:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

I haven't done much RDM lately, did they change it so enspell is calculated on cast or is it still during each hit?

enspell 1 is on cast. enspell 2 is on hit (which is why no one uses them... that and all the multihit we have now)
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2015-10-27 10:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Psylo said: »
Was thinking about this combo :

+

VERSUS

+

So basicly MAS 228 MA 46 <=> MAS 215 MA 46 INT21 MND6
(if club full augment)

Don't underestimate the AM1. Clearly the most underused aftermath, but it does have it's place (like short fights where you open with TP, proc your AM1, then don't melee for the rest of the fight but reap the benefits of the added magic accuracy).
 Asura.Yeira
Server: Asura
By Asura.Yeira 2015-10-30 17:56:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
+

Thank you for this explanation!

Do you have a section that mixes potency and duration? Are there any other spells that the BG Wiki claims cap at 500 enhancing that don't actually do so? For instance, it says suspected cap for phalanx is 500 enhancing magic. If it's simply all potency or all duration, this simplifies my LUA quite a bit.

Doing some testing with the gain spells, I found that they might cap at 500 (or I might not be hitting the next tier for +1 more of the stat). For something like that, I'd like to use a duration + potency mix.

From a debugging perspective, it was a little easier for me to expand upon the entire function to determine exactly what was working and what wasn't. Compound conditions in the if statement, checking spell.target.type's functionality, and buffactive.JA's use took only a little time. For me, enhancing duration and cure self didn't seem to function properly. In the end, it was simply two functions with the same name that hadn't been merged in the file. :(

For example, you can see in my LUA that I have two job_postmidcast functions which was the reason behind EnhancingDuration and CureSelf's malfunction.

However, I like your approach much better since I have no idea what's going on in the include and mode lib. files for the most part. Relying on them and not being able to determine if they're working as intended was driving me nuts.

Leviathan.Protey said: »
Temper 1 and 2, as well as enspells, do not cap at 500 skill. So I do not recommend sacrificing skill for duration with them as you are hurting your DPS significantly by doing so.

Didn't know this about Temper. Skimmed BG's Wiki and found:

Quote:
Its potency is determined solely by Enhancing Magic Skill, and likely caps at 500 skill (20% DA)

Didn't quite trust this, though. I'm glad I decided to play it safe and just use all potency for temper/enspells.

Thanks for the information you both!

On a side note, what is everyone doing for swords now days barring RMEs?
By Buzzwords 2015-10-30 18:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Its potency is determined solely by Enhancing Magic Skill, and likely caps at 500 skill (20% DA)

Didn't quite trust this, though. I'm glad I decided to play it safe and just use all potency for temper/enspells.

both temper and enspell WERE capped at 500 skill. then squeenix changed them under some way to vague patch notes. something like "made enspell and temper scale with enhancing magic skill" which of course they already did... but what they REALLY did was rebalance the spells. so it's not to surprising that BGwiki is out of date. i gotta wonder how diligently it's being updated at this point.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-10-30 22:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Buzzwords said: »

Quote:

both temper and enspell WERE capped at 500 skill. then squeenix changed them under some way to vague patch notes. something like "made enspell and temper scale with enhancing magic skill" which of course they already did... but what they REALLY did was rebalance the spells. so it's not to surprising that BGwiki is out of date. i gotta wonder how diligently it's being updated at this point.

Yea, only a few of us left updating wiki. Just removed that blurb about 500 skill on temper. Looks like I need to make the Refresh 3 and Temper 2 pages still.

edit: ok made those pages.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-01 11:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I offhand Demersal Degen +1. If you don't plan on using Murgleis then you can mainhand Demersal Degen +1 and offhand the NQ. That's a lot of Occasionally Attacks Twice. Those are a lot easier to get than the blurred +1 knife/sword.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-01 19:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

From a debugging perspective, it was a little easier for me to expand upon the entire function to determine exactly what was working and what wasn't. Compound conditions in the if statement, checking spell.target.type's functionality, and buffactive.JA's use took only a little time. For me, enhancing duration and cure self didn't seem to function properly. In the end, it was simply two functions with the same name that hadn't been merged in the file. :(

For example, you can see in my LUA that I have two job_postmidcast functions which was the reason behind EnhancingDuration and CureSelf's malfunction.

However, I like your approach much better since I have no idea what's going on in the include and mode lib. files for the most part. Relying on them and not being able to determine if they're working as intended was driving me nuts.

I've run into so many people who've used Mote's lua's and screwed them up because the logic, while being clever, wasn't intended to be understood by non-programming folks. I'm a big proponent of the KISS principle, especially if the layman is the lowest common denominator.

An augmented Claid with +DMG and a Nibru blade off hand, maybe the new Joyeuse. WS damage is now a large component and having a high DMG main hand is really good. Of hand is a toss up depending on if you need the acc or not. Was there any confirmation that it's OaT proc rate was the same ~45% of Joyeuse? Depending on how much TA/DA you already have, that would be a realized ~20% increase to the number of this, so really nice for TP generation.
[+]
 Cerberus.Lasareth
Server: Cerberus
user: lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2015-11-01 19:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
I've run into so many people who've used Mote's lua's and screwed them up because the logic, while being clever, wasn't intended to be understood by non-programming folks. I'm a big proponent of the KISS principle, especially if the layman is the lowest common denominator.

I found learning lua easier than trying to understand what happens when something goes wrong in mote's luas. Makes it easier to explore new options yourself and create personalized rules, too.
By Bamboom 2015-11-03 13:04:01
Link | Quote | Reply

How is temper 2? It seems really amazing and a huge damage boost to melee rdm. Can anyone who has it provide some insight?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-03 13:36:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bamboom said: »
How is temper 2? It seems really amazing and a huge damage boost to melee rdm. Can anyone who has it provide some insight?

Small test of Temper II:

500 rounds of 500 enhancing magic gave 92 triple attacks or 18.4% Triple Attack rate.

500 rounds of 569 enhancing magic gave 129 triple attacks or 25.8% Triple Attack rate.

Assuming increase in potency is fairly linear, we have the approximate equation:

Triple Attack Rate = floor(Enhancing Skill - 328.43)(37/345)

or about 1% TA rate per 10 enhancing skill.

Which means a RDM can get up to about 48% triple attack rate with high enhancing skill + TA gear.
By Bamboom 2015-11-03 18:41:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, thanks for that! With that much triple attack, are OaT sub weapons useless? Does this triple attack affect ws damage significantly? How does this affect mythic users; will AM3 triple attack stack with AM3? Does this mean RDM DD at 1200 JP is amazing?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-03 21:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, thanks for that! With that much triple attack, are OaT sub weapons useless? Does this triple attack affect ws damage significantly? How does this affect mythic users; will AM3 triple attack stack with AM3? Does this mean RDM DD at 1200 JP is amazing?

OaT are not useless, the roll for them is just after the triple attack roll. Yes it affects ws damage. AM3 is figured after triple attack. RDM DD is pretty good, without buffs from anyone else I can self skill chain pretty consistently.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-03 21:19:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Multi-Attack suffers from dminishing returns. That being said, it's still one of the best ways to increase your damage as it not only increase's melee DPS but also increases TP gain so you WS more often. Only one MA proc can happen per hand per attack round, the order is QA -> TA -> DA -> AM3 / OaT, though this isn't so important because it all end up averages out anyway.

So lets say you have a 20% DA rate over an attack period of 1000 attacks. It would look like this

1000 * .20 = 200 * 1 = +200 attacks
800 regular attacks

Total of 1200 attacks for a (1200/1000) 20% increase.

Now add another 20 DA and you get

1000 * .40 = 400 * 1 = +400 attacks
600 regular attacks

Total of 1400 but instead of 1000 we use 1200 since you had that 1200 before you added another 20. (1400/1200) = 16.6% increase.

The first 20 gave you a 20% increase but the second 20 only gave a 16.6% increase.

Now lets add 10 TA

1000 * .10 = 100 * 2 = +200 attacks
900 * .40 = 360 * 1 = +360 attacks
540 regular attacks

1560 attacks vs the previous 1400, 11.4% increase.

So on and so forth. Extra multi-attack procs will never hurt you, but their relative increase diminishes as you add more. Eventually you may get to a point where adding another stat, like accuracy, Store TP, +crit or even +attack gives a bigger increase then adding another 3~5 DA. The DPS spreed sheets are pretty good at figuring where this cut off point is it but are highly sensitive to your target. This is why I recommend using a high DMG main hand weapon (if no Mythic) and the Degen +1 as off hand. You get the boosted WS damage while also increasing melee DPS and TP gain rate.
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-11-04 03:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah ^^ but i found something pretty bad in RDM/NIN(DNC) situation with friend.
In fact, rdm with mythic AM3 up etc is an amazing DD but ... we have an huge problem ... no subbtle blow with increase a loooot Tp move from NM, so for now i prefer come DNC where i have same damage dealing but less tp feed.

but in solo situation, RDM win of course, we always WIN ^^

I'm so exited with future JOB MASTER title and adjustement to mythic ^^
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-04 10:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Psylo said: »
Yeah ^^ but i found something pretty bad in RDM/NIN(DNC) situation with friend.
In fact, rdm with mythic AM3 up etc is an amazing DD but ... we have an huge problem ... no subbtle blow with increase a loooot Tp move from NM, so for now i prefer come DNC where i have same damage dealing but less tp feed.

but in solo situation, RDM win of course, we always WIN ^^

I'm so exited with future JOB MASTER title and adjustement to mythic ^^

Both /NIN and /DNC have subtle blow, just not as much as having those jobs as main. And if you're still concerned about subtle blow, can use heartseeker and dudgeon earrings, dhanurveda and beeline rings, vellaunus' mantle +1, and Bathy Choker +1. This will only be a small hit to your DPS, but provide an additional 33 subtle blow.
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2015-11-04 11:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah you right and with NIN sub, reach 48 (cap is 50), i need to check my mog house but i think i have most of them, maybe not back and neck but should be easy to get to test that.
 Phoenix.Skyfire
Server: Phoenix
user: nightkidz
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-11-04 16:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking for a good nuking set for Eshcan T3's I am finding it hard on certain NM's to get above 8-10k.
Not sure if its macc or lack of mab in my sets that make them lackluster.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-04 16:59:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Skyfire said: »
Looking for a good nuking set for Eshcan T3's I am finding it hard on certain NM's to get above 8-10k.
Not sure if its macc or lack of mab in my sets that make them lackluster.

If you don't have amalric / +1 set then the following is decent gear:

ammo: dosis tathlum or ghastly tathlum +1
head: empy head +1
neck: eddy necklace
ears: friomisi and crematio earrings
body: wretched coat / +1 or augmented helios
hands: augmented psycloth manillas
fingers: shiva ring+1, shiva ring+1
back: toro cape
waist: refoccilation stone
legs: empy legs +1
feet: augmented helios
 Phoenix.Skyfire
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-11-04 17:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

What sort of numbers do you pull on the T3's? and my set is:
main="Serenity",
sub="Mephitis grip",
ammo="Ombre tathlum +1",
head="Helios band",(MAB+15/MACC/Occult Acumen +10/Magic Burst dmg +8%
neck="eddy necklace"
ear1="Friomisi Earring",
ear2="Crematio Earring",
body="Count's Garb" ,
hands="Leyline Gloves",(Max Augs.)
ring1="Acumen Ring",
ring2="Shiva's Ring +1",
back="Toro Cape",
waist="Eschan Stone",
legs="Hagondes Pants +1",
feet="Helios boots"}MAB/MACC +20, Occult Acumen +9

I feel like i just get resisted very often.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-04 17:52:12
Link | Quote | Reply

What sort of numbers do you pull on the T3's? and my set is:
main="Serenity",
sub="Mephitis grip",
ammo="Ombre tathlum +1",
head="Helios band",(MAB+15/MACC/Occult Acumen +10/Magic Burst dmg +8%
neck="eddy necklace"
ear1="Friomisi Earring",
ear2="Crematio Earring",
body="Count's Garb" ,
hands="Leyline Gloves",(Max Augs.)
ring1="Acumen Ring",
ring2="Shiva's Ring +1",
back="Toro Cape",
waist="Eschan Stone",
legs="Hagondes Pants +1",
feet="Helios boots"}MAB/MACC +20, Occult Acumen +9

I feel like i just get resisted very often.

I don't ever nuke on RDM against T3s; I tend to stick to enfeebles, buffing, and crowd control. Even BLMs get resists and that is why groups bring GEOs to do magic accuracy + / magic evasion -. Your set is missing a lot of magic acc in the body and leg slots.
 Phoenix.Skyfire
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-11-12 17:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Having trouble with duration buffs. Using motes RDM file, and it isn't giving then 6mins duration I would get without it. Not sure how to fix this. Can anyone post what they use for Enhancing others their GS?
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-11-12 22:15:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Best bet would to post your GS and let the community find the problem
 Phoenix.Skyfire
By Phoenix.Skyfire 2015-11-12 23:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

if spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' then
equip(sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic]
if state.Buff.Composure and spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' and spell.target.type == 'PLAYER' then
equip(sets.midcast.ComposureOther)
end
By Asura.Omnijuggernaut 2015-11-13 01:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

post the whole lua in [code ] [/code ] that way people can see if there is any conflicting rules.
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-13 01:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

if spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' then
equip(sets.midcast['Enhancing Magic]
if state.Buff.Composure and spell.skill == 'Enhancing Magic' and spell.target.type == 'PLAYER' then
equip(sets.midcast.ComposureOther)
end

That first part you have with spell.skill == enhancing magic you shouldn't have that in there at all.

All you should need is:

if buffactive.composure and spell.target.type == 'PLAYER' then
equip(sets.buff.ComposureOther)

This should be located in the Job Specific Hooks section and should look like this:

function job_post_midcast(spell, action, spellMap, eventArgs)
if spell.skill == 'Enfeebling Magic' and state.Buff.Saboteur then equip(sets.buff.Saboteur)
end
if buffactive.composure and spell.target.type == 'PLAYER' then equip(sets.buff.ComposureOther)
end
if spellMap == 'Cure' and spell.target.type == 'SELF' then equip(sets.midcast.CureSelf)
end
end

That being said you will also need to make sure you have a set of gear that starts out with:

sets.buff.ComposureOther =

This should be located just below the midcast section (you should see green words that state "-- Sets for special buff conditions on spells.")
By Selindrile 2015-11-21 10:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Having trouble with duration buffs. Using motes RDM file, and it isn't giving then 6mins duration I would get without it. Not sure how to fix this. Can anyone post what they use for Enhancing others their GS?

Mote in the libs also has several spells listed as exceptions and they don't use the traditional "enhancing skill" set, such as haste etc, I removed that since my standard enhancing set includes duration now on pretty much all jobs (because telchine)
 Shiva.Hiep
Server: Shiva
user: Hiepo
By Shiva.Hiep 2015-11-22 16:10:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone wanna post an updated DD and ENH set?
 Leviathan.Protey
By Leviathan.Protey 2015-11-22 23:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Hiep said: »
Anyone wanna post an updated DD and ENH set?

DD:
Murgleis/Demersal Degen +1//Ginsen
Taeon Chapaeu/Combatant's Torque/Suppanomimi/Eabani Earring
Taeon Tabard/Taeon Gloves/Petrov Ring/Hetairoi Ring
Bleating Mantle/Windbuffet Belt +1/Carmine Cuisses +1/Taeon Boots

Though haven't done the math if should replace an earring with Telos Earring.

Enhancing 500 skill so using duration:
Telchine Cap/Incanter's Torque/Andoaa Earring/Augmenting Earring
Telchine Chasuble/Atrophy Gloves +1
Ghostfyre Cape/Olympus Sash/Telchine Braconi/Lethargy Houseaux +1

Enhancing max for temper2/enspells:
Befouled Crown/Incanter's Torque/Andoaa Earring/Augmenting Earring
Vitivation Tabard +1/Vitivation Gloves+1
Ghostfyre Cape/Olympus Sash/Carmine Cuisses +1/Lethargy Houseaux +1

Enhancing for refresh on self use Gishdubar Sash in addition to duration

Enhancing for barspells use Shedir Seraweels in addition to duration

Enhancing for aquaveil use Shedir Seraweels, Emphatikos Rope, and Amalric Coif +1 in addition to duration
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2015-11-22 23:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Some of the new Chironic gear is interesting. Has +accuracy / attack base on it and can get substantial augments. The sword can get pretty crazy nice augments too, should replace Claid for mainhand on non-mythic wielders.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 28 29 30