Denver Students Walk Out Of School In Protest

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Denver students walk out of school in protest
Denver students walk out of school in protest
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:40:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Maldini said: »
Quote:
However, I do also agree the little punks should learn respect for authority. It'll go a long way in their lives once they graduate and get jobs.
I see the problem but disagree with the cure/medication.

I don't think kids needs to respect authority to respect the law and their place in society as a full member.

Respect is earned.

I think they need to learn compassion and tolerance, and more than anything to be critical thinkers.

This.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 13:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Ramyrez said: »
That teen agers are able to see through the revisionist *** shows you just how transparent these revisionist troglodyte are to everyone but themselves.
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the kids (and teachers) protesting couldn't tell you what's been changed. And the other 1% are just guessing.

Sure they could, nothing has been changed, the vote was stopped.
Tell us what was going to change then. That was up for debate.

Oh wait, since nothing was going to change, then I guess that couldn't be against changing history, like some people (including you) claimed it to be....

Not really logical at all.
Its more logical to assume that if a group of people seek the power to change something, its because they want to change it...

Combined with the language mentioned in the report, its pretty obvious to anyone who can read and think that they want certain aspects of american history hidden from students.

If your next question "which aspects?" - the report makes clear the negative ones.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, those who support this protest because of selfish reasons like their own perception of patriotism and respect are bad things to teach in a classroom.

Got it.
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-09-24 13:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this mean that kids won't be taught about Native Americans, or slavery, or the presidents that were assassinated?....

This one is more relevant to the current era:
"essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority "

Aren't Americans encouraged to challenge Authority and Government when it is necessary to do so? I don't mean violence, but genuine exercising of one's political rights to descend from public or common opinion.

Back when I went to school in california, our history classes did cover the horrible crap we americans did to native americans in the name of expanding our country, also how we basically threw american citizens of japanese descent into prison camps during ww2, etc.

I am from 'generation x', which feels like a much different time compared to now.
It would not surprise me that certain people want to wage war on the minds of young americans and program them to adopt christianity, consumerism, our 'free market' system, and most of all, OBEY! lest you become fodder for the ever growing prison industrial complex.
Free speech has eroded, police are now more militarized, more angry, less patient and you are intimidated and threatened to be thrown in jail for fabricated reasons if you 'disturb the peace' while having a nonviolent protest.

If you're rich and you're white enough, you can still protest and be left alone a bit less.

True political activism and protesting is dead, I think the tipping point was the occupy wall street stuff. Now people are a bit more intimidated about speaking out.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 13:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

So basically, those who support this protest because of selfish reasons like their own perception of patriotism and respect are bad things to teach in a classroom.

Got it.

Whoosh!
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 13:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it.
Here is a fundamental question for you; should the state be shaped around its citizens or should the citizens be shaped around the state?

Famous Arab proverb :
Deputy Prime Minister: The people are rioting and demonstrating against us. They want you to step down from your post.
Prime Minister: They(the citizens) should step down as citizens.
Looses something in translation but you get the gist of it.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
Now people are a bit more intimidated about speaking out.
What world are you living in?

People are protesting over the stupidest ***now, more than ever.

OWS was the catalyst that created the whole notion that it is "cool" to protest about something. Some kids are protesting just to protest.

If you don't believe me, I'm sure Fonewear can find some pictures for you, since he knows where to find all the batshit crazy stuff going on out there.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is a fundamental question for you; should the state be shaped around its citizens or should the citizens be shaped around the state?
I'll bite.

The government (federal and state) should be shaped around it's citizens at it's core, as a service, not a hindrance. The government's main role is supposed to be defense, not support though. But above all else, the federal government is supposed to be impartial, something that hasn't existed in the past 6 years.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:50:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it.

You teach the facts.

You let students make their own decisions about them.

High school is far more vaulable in teaching students how to think critically and with adequate self-reflection than it it is simply teaching students to regurgitate dates and names of important events.
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-09-24 13:52:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Now people are a bit more intimidated about speaking out.
What world are you living in?

People are protesting over the stupidest ***now, more than ever.

OWS was the catalyst that created the whole notion that it is "cool" to protest about something. Some kids are protesting just to protest.

If you don't believe me, I'm sure Fonewear can find some pictures for you, since he knows where to find all the batshit crazy stuff going on out there.

I used to be a bit of an activist when I was younger, and i've seen police brutality at peaceful protests on more than one occasion. I've seen cops intimidate and harass people trying to record police behavior, That's the world I know I live in.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 13:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this mean that kids won't be taught about Native Americans, or slavery, or the presidents that were assassinated?....

This one is more relevant to the current era:
"essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority "

Aren't Americans encouraged to challenge Authority and Government when it is necessary to do so? I don't mean violence, but genuine exercising of one's political rights to descend from public or common opinion.

Back when I went to school in california, our history classes did cover the horrible crap we americans did to native americans in the name of expanding our country, also how we basically threw american citizens of japanese descent into prison camps during ww2, etc.

I am from 'generation x', which feels like a much different time compared to now.
It would not surprise me that certain people want to wage war on the minds of young americans and program them to adopt christianity, consumerism, our 'free market' system, and most of all, OBEY! lest you become fodder for the ever growing prison industrial complex.
Free speech has eroded, police are now more militarized, more angry, less patient and you are intimidated and threatened to be thrown in jail for fabricated reasons if you 'disturb the peace' while having a nonviolent protest.

If you're rich and you're white enough, you can still protest and be left alone a bit less.

True political activism and protesting is dead, I think the tipping point was the occupy wall street stuff. Now people are a bit more intimidated about speaking out.

But history has demonstrated how ignoring problems such as these has had devastating consequences for the ruling class.

I'm also a Gen-X'er (just barely) and grew up in L.A. I left in the late 90's and I can tell you, from here, looking from outside, it appears far worse.
I'm just left asking "wow wtf are the people/country I knew".
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

But above all else, the federal government is supposed to be impartial, something that hasn't existed in the past 36 years.

You're not wrong, just underestimating how long it's been.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-24 13:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it.

Or maybe people on the far right need to learn to respect the curriculum that gives students who are taking personal responsibility for their education by opting into a more challenging and expansive tier of our education system? You know...The ones who are enthusiastic, competitive, and willing to learn and work, so they are not booted out of AP classes. You know...That very meritocratic, tiered system of education that is only offered if you have demonstrated the ability to perform in those classes?
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-24 13:59:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Apparently, the teachers protested as well with a "sick-out" and also made this press release explaining the deeper issues:
Sounds like they're rallying against the formation of a totalitarian-like education board. I'd find something like that pretty hard to defend but I'm sure people will find a way ^^
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it.

You teach the facts.

You let students make their own decisions about them.

High school is far more vaulable in teaching students how to think critically and with adequate self-reflection than it it is simply teaching students to regurgitate dates and names of important events.
Who's against teaching the facts? I'm certainly not.

I just don't understand why people think that teaching patriotism and nationality and respect is a bad thing. It isn't, it actually helps us as a society because it gives us a reason to be proud to be who we are. Yes, let's teach our children our mistakes in the past and why they are mistakes, but let's also teach our children our accomplishments and why they are good also.

Instead of focusing on the negativity in life, let's strive to be a positive society....

I used to be a bit of an activist when I was younger, and i've seen police brutality at peaceful protests on more than one occasion. I've seen cops intimidate and harass people trying to record police behavior, That's the world I know I live in.
Get those police officers and thugs fired then. Instead of reporting it to the police chief, go straight above them (the mayor, or even higher than that).

Show that police brutality instead of protesting against it. Protesting does nothing more than showing your complaints without proof, but if you take it one step further, you can actually get ***done....

You're not wrong, just underestimating how long it's been.
It's rapidly expanding with this administration openly being partial to a specific group of people.

Problem is, that group doesn't realize how much they have benefited by this impartiality....
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 14:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »

Got it.

Or maybe people on the far right need to learn to respect the curriculum that gives students who are taking personal responsibility for their education by opting into a more challenging and expansive tier of our education system? You know...The ones who are enthusiastic, competitive, and willing to learn and work, so they are not booted out of AP classes. You know...That very meritocratic, tiered system of education that is only offered if you have demonstrated the ability to perform in those classes?
You know that's only true for that specific class. Why doesn't that one class only protest instead of the entire school (district) as reported on the source article?

Most of the "protesters" do not even understand what they are protesting about, and you know it!
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 14:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Apparently, the teachers protested as well with a "sick-out" and also made this press release explaining the deeper issues:
Sounds like they're rallying against a totalitarian-like education board. I'd find something like that pretty hard to defend but I'm sure people will find a way ^^

All teachers are liberal nutbags.

All teachers are trying to poison children with liberal brainvenom.

All teachers are greedy *** who only are trying to do the least amount of work possible and squeeze the most possible tax money out of real workers.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-09-24 14:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Who's against teaching the facts? I'm certainly not.

I just don't understand why people think that teaching patriotism and nationality and respect is a bad thing. It isn't, it actually helps us as a society because it gives us a reason to be proud to be who we are. Yes, let's teach our children our mistakes in the past and why they are mistakes, but let's also teach our children our accomplishments and why they are good also.

Instead of focusing on the negativity in life, let's strive to be a positive society....

It sounds like that's the problem though. They're only wanting to teach the facts that support patriotism and respect for authority, while leaving out the ones that might teach otherwise.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 14:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

You can't teach respect. You can't demand respect. You can teach and demand fear.

You have to earn respect.

"Teaching" patriotism and nationality...no.

Just...no.

Let people decide for themselves where there loyalties are.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 14:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

You know that's only true for that specific class. Why doesn't that one class only protest instead of the entire school (district) as reported on the source article?

Most of the "protesters" do not even understand what they are protesting about, and you know it!

***. You always try to claim ignorance, and you are always wrong in doing so. They know exactly what they are protesting. They aren't 9 year olds.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 14:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Is this real, is he really against protesting in favor of trying to use the system to remedy one's problems?

What kind of conservative are you?
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 14:09:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Kingnobody said:»Who's against teaching the facts? I'm certainly not.
They are. Read the report.

Quote:
Kingnobody said:» I just don't understand why people think that teaching patriotism and nationality and respect is a bad thing.
Patriotism is taught? I guess that's where we differ. Patriotism is a form of respect, as Ramy put it. As he also put it, it should be earned. Meaning teach the facts and allow each to come to their conclusion. If they disagree with the course of their nation, they will seek to improve and better it. If they are fine with it.
As an American I would expect your patriotism toward your country to manifest itself through your desire to defend your greatest rights and liberties, as well as the environment that has allowed your nation to excel and become the world's superpower. That environment wasn't built on censorship and sweeping facts under the rug. If you were really patriotic, you would want to see your country continue to flourish and progress.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-24 14:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't understand why people think that teaching patriotism and nationality and respect is a bad thing. It isn't, it actually helps us as a society because it gives us a reason to be proud to be who we are.
Because that is indoctrination. You don't teach patriotism, nationality, or respect. Being patriotic, nationalistic, or respectful just because someone told you you should is the absolute wrong reason.
Yes, let's teach our children our mistakes in the past and why they are mistakes, but let's also teach our children our accomplishments and why they are good also.
That's what we call teaching history.
If you think people can't be respectful, patriotic, or nationalistic when given accurate depictions of the history of the country.... well, then that tells you something about the history, doesn't it?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By volkom 2014-09-24 14:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

not all employers are nice
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-09-24 14:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Quote:

You can't teach respect. You can't demand respect. You can teach and demand fear.

You have to earn respect.

"Teaching" patriotism and nationality...no.

Just...no.

Let people decide for themselves where there loyalties are.
Really, now? How about you go up to your employer, you know... that nice person that provides you with a JOB and a PAYCHECK and tell him or her that you don't respect him (or her, as the case may be), because they haven't earned it. I'd like to know how long after being told that, that you keep your job for.

Thats the problem with many companies right now. You treat your employees like *** and while they won't outright rebel against you, they find little ways to make the company more inefficient and shitty.

And yes, I can tell my boss I don't respect him without actually saying it. It's called doing just enough to not get fired.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 14:17:58
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
not all employers are nice
that and there's telling someone you respect them out of fear, and then there's really respecting them sincerely.

I find it amusing that certain republicans can't differentiate the difference between the two.... its really a window into their psyche.... and i don't like what I see.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 14:21:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
well, then that tells you something about the history, doesn't it?
This!!!!
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10