Denver Students Walk Out Of School In Protest

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Denver students walk out of school in protest
Denver students walk out of school in protest
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 12:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Ramyrez said: »
We read Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee and various other stuff too.

that happened about 100 miles from here. still a lot of hurt feelings 100 years later.

Aye. The other thing I said about the Kinzua Dam? It's about ~20 miles from where I grew up, ~10 from where I was born and I boated on the reservoir it creates growing up. My parents even owned a restaurant at the marina there for a while.

Plenty of bitterness just under the skin about that around, too. Hell, Johnny Cash wrote a song about it.

Though...that's still significant different from the Wounded Knee stuff; the Dam was sadly necessary. It was unfortunate that the natives there had to be relocated, but...flooding is bad, mmkay? :\
[+]
By Blazed1979 2014-09-24 12:56:05
Link | Quote | Reply

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
By daoming 2014-09-24 13:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather learn of he country's atrocities so I can make sure I don't have a hand in repeating it
[+]
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2014-09-24 13:07:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel like the whole point of history class is well... learning from the history. Hard to learn how to better our nation when you just tell the kids that everything is and was happy and good.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-24 13:09:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The actions of these revisionist conservative groups remind me of a certain political movement that swept through parts of Europe in the 1920's.

Ironically these same groups tend to label their opposition the name of said movement.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 13:12:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
The school board proposal that triggered the walkouts in Jefferson County calls for instructional materials that present positive aspects of the nation and its heritage. It would establish a committee to regularly review texts and course plans, starting with Advanced Placement history, to make sure materials "promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights" and don't "encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law."

I wonder who decides what the understanding of "Positive aspects" of the nation and its heritage are?

They're going to establish a committee. Committee's have charters and clearly defined agreed upon terminology and member roles.
Who writes the charter?

Does this mean that kids won't be taught about Native Americans, or slavery, or the presidents that were assassinated?....

This one is more relevant to the current era:
"essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority "

Aren't Americans encouraged to challenge Authority and Government when it is necessary to do so? I don't mean violence, but genuine exercising of one's political rights to descend from public or common opinion.

This is definitely a step towards:
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-09-24 13:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 13:17:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Why is dodging a sub routine?

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-24 13:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Good on the kids?

Shame on the teachers for propagandizing the kids to their cause.

"Hey kids, instead of going to school, how would everyone like to go outside and boycott it for a day in support of our cause?"

Is there any kid that would rather be in class than outside?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 13:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

lol, I think we were all waiting for Nausi to try to stand up for this conservative failure.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Good on the kids?

Shame on the teachers for propagandizing the kids to their cause.

"Hey kids, instead of going to school, how would everyone like to go outside and boycott it for a day in support of our cause?"

Is there any kid that would rather be in class than outside?

Really? That's the direction you're taking?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-09-24 13:25:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Your position and the homonym of your name are so ironically appropriate given the reason of the protest.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-24 13:25:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Or shame on the school board that wants to dumb down the AP curriculum?
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:26:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
lol, I think we were all waiting for Nausi to try to stand up for this conservative failure.

I actually thought this was one he might not be able to get behind.

I was wrong.

He has consumed that much of the Kool-Aid.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:26:45
Link | Quote | Reply

What the *** is this ***?

Kids protesting because they don't want to be taught about citizenship, patriotism, and to respect authority?

What's next, a mob of people protesting that they don't want to work for a living and rather sit on their *** collecting government checks for the rest of their lives?

Oh wai....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:28:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That teenagers are able to see through the revisionist *** shows you just how transparent these revisionist troglodyte are to everyone but themselves.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:29:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Kids protesting because they don't want to be taught about citizenship, patriotism, and to respect authority?

What's next, a mob of people protesting that they don't want to work for a living and rather sit on their *** collecting government checks for the rest of their lives?

Oh wai....

You don't teach patriotism.

You teach history. If the country is worthy of patriotism, the history will instill that in them.

if it's not...well. Draw the lines.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:30:11
Link | Quote | Reply

That teen agers are able to see through the revisionist *** shows you just how transparent these revisionist troglodyte are to everyone but themselves.
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the kids (and teachers) protesting couldn't tell you what's been changed. And the other 1% are just guessing.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 13:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats not what history class is for, better luck next time.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wai....

You don't teach patriotism.

You teach history. If the country is worthy of patriotism, the history will instill that in them.

if it's not...well. Draw the lines.
I wonder what's changing though.

Why is it that nobody is telling us that? Maybe it's because it isn't being revised, but the focus is not on specific liberal values instead of conservative ones. Which is bad either case, since we need to know our mistakes before we repeat them again.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:32:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats not what history class is for, better luck next time.
Tell us, oh master of all knowledge of *** what it is that they are changing then.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 13:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

That teen agers are able to see through the revisionist *** shows you just how transparent these revisionist troglodyte are to everyone but themselves.
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the kids (and teachers) protesting couldn't tell you what's been changed. And the other 1% are just guessing.

Sure they could, nothing has been changed, the vote was stopped.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Learning about the Lincoln assassination, which also partially interested me since the apparent haunting of Forbes Theater by Lincoln's and John Wilkes Booth's spirits.
If the focus of your history education is about spiritual haunting, that explains a lot of your idiocy then.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-24 13:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell us what was going to change then. That was up for debate.

Oh wait, since nothing was going to change, then I guess that couldn't be against changing history, like some people (including you) claimed it to be....
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-24 13:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Good on these kids for standing up to the liberal-controlled education syste-- oh... they're protesting against whitewashed, nationalistic propaganda? In that case, get back to class you dirty bums! I bet they smell like patchouli and use iPhones lololol
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Maldini
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: maldini
By Quetzalcoatl.Maldini 2014-09-24 13:38:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
However, I do also agree the little punks should learn respect for authority. It'll go a long way in their lives once they graduate and get jobs.
I see the problem but disagree with the cure/medication.

I don't think kids needs to respect authority to respect the law and their place in society as a full member.

I think they need to learn compassion and tolerance, and more than anything to be critical thinkers.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2014-09-24 13:38:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
the apparent haunting of Forbes Theater by Lincoln's and John Wilkes Booth's spirits.

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-24 13:39:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wait, since nothing was going to change, then I guess that couldn't be against changing history, like some people (including you) claimed it to be....
Can your reading comprehension get any worse?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-24 13:39:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote where I claimed that, good luck. They were never going to change history, they were simply going to try to change the way they teach history, as if it isn't already taught from an American "good guys" perspective. Its funny you are taking the angry conservative approach, when you haven't said anything at all. This is a great way to win that youth vote btw /sarcasm.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10