Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 15:29:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby said: »
atheistic evangelism

Can you please:

A) Define that.

B) Elaborate in how you come to the conclusion that your definition fits Ramyrez's posts.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-07 15:34:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ccl said: »
So much hate on here!

And by hate you mean criticism.

When you hear death to Muslims or Christians then you can page me.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
Server: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-10-07 15:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
atheistic evangelism

Can you please:

A) Define that.

B) Elaborate in how you come to the conclusion that your definition fits Ramyrez's posts.
Usually manifests itself as childish mockery of larger philosophical ideas that far wiser and smarter men have debated for millenia in an effort to belittle others for the purpose of feeling better abut oneself. Mockery of religion is often a product of anti-paternalism and/or other forms of a sense of self-adequacy. Both of those are classic manifestations of daddy issues.

More specifically the "evangelistic" part refers to the lack of contentment with just having a belief, or being a simple "non-participant" or having a "null value" set of religious values as many atheists in America claim.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-07 15:38:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess we can add psychoanalyst to the list of Tenshibaby's professions.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 15:40:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Aww, this thread was demained...

atheistic evangelism

Can you please:

A) Define that.

Usually manifests itself as childish mockery of larger philosophical ideas that far wiser and smarter men have debated for millenia in an effort to belittle others for the purpose of feeling better abut oneself. Mockery of religion is often a product of anti-paternalism and/or other forms of a sense of self-adequacy. Both of those are classic manifestations of daddy issues.

More specifically the "evangelistic" part refers to the lack of contentment with just having a belief, or being a simple "non-participant" or having a "null value" set of religious values as many atheists in America claim.
That still doesn't make sense.

Atheism states lack of belief period. You don't have to include "evangelistic" to that definition.

I think you got the wrong idea about this. Ramyrez is posting in humor/satire, not exactly attacking anyone on their beliefs. Actually, outside of Jet (who pretty much attack anyone/everyone anyway), there's not really any attacks on anyone else's beliefs, just attacks on interpretations of religious texts.

tl;dr version: You are putting way too much effort in this.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-07 15:43:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Am I atheist cause I have daddy issues, or do I have daddy issues because I'm atheist?
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-10-07 15:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually atheism is an affirmative belief that there is no god. An absence of any belief would be agnosticism.

Maybe you're right about Ramyrez, if I jumped the gun, but I am tired of the same anti-religious rhetoric, and when his first post of the day was to use a childish attack, it seemed that there was no other purpose other than to belittle.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 15:44:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I guess we can add psychoanalyst to the list of Tenshibaby's professions.
Last I checked, you don't have to be a psychoanalyst to understand philosophical and theological ideas.

Well, maybe for you. But some people can understand it well enough to talk about it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-07 15:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, you sure hate Pleebo. No joke will pass untouched!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 15:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually atheism is an affirmative belief that there is no god.
I don't agree with you, as your definition requires effort to belief in a lack of god, which is not an effort at all.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-07 15:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually atheism is an affirmative belief that there is no god. An absence of any belief would be agnosticism.

Maybe you're right about Ramyrez, if I jumped the gun, but I am tired of the same anti-religious rhetoric, and when his first post of the day was to use a childish attack, it seemed that there was no other purpose other than to belittle.

Which is why nearly every atheist is technically an Agnostic Atheist as a opposed to a Gnostic atheist.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 15:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Wait, that's a joke?

I thought that was another snarky remark from our good "climate scientist" on this website.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-07 15:49:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Tenshibaby is the joke.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-07 15:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Aww, tired of the anti-religious rhetoric? Well I'm tired of idiots killing eachother all over the world over some stupid sectarian religious *** and the apocalyptic idiots that would plunge the world into doom to fulfill some prophecy.

The last thing I need my world to do is have a perpetually red sky, gamebreaking elements and people cleaving animals for merits.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-07 15:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Tired of the same threads over and over...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-10-07 15:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

This is supposed to be the general isis thread so that Godofgods doesn't open 30 more every day.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-10-07 15:53:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Aelius said: »
Tired of the same threads over and over...

My name is Sisyphus and I have a problem.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-10-07 15:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, that's a joke?

I thought that was another snarky remark from our good "climate scientist" on this website.
It was both!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 15:57:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Wait, that's a joke?

It was both!
Well, as long as we know.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-10-07 16:01:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you both knew, there would still be an argument on who knew what first and why liberals suck.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 16:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Even if you both knew, there would still be an argument on who knew what first and why liberals suck.
Obviously because of Bush.

And Benghazi.
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-10-07 16:15:06
Link | Quote | Reply

why liberals suck.
There's not enough memory created in the entirety of the universe to list all the reasons.
Actually atheism is an affirmative belief that there is no god.
I don't agree with you, as your definition requires effort to belief in a lack of god, which is not an effort at all.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I see plenty of effort on behalf of atheists, and if you don't accept that, I can just as easily say that it takes no effort for me to believe in God.

We aren't going to solve the question of "Does God exist?" here, so I'd rather just beat up on liberals with you than argue endless points lol...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-07 16:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

We will just have to agree to disagree. I see plenty of effort on behalf of atheists, and if you don't accept that, I can just as easily say that it takes no effort for me to believe in God.
I'm going to counter that with another effort argument.

One cannot say that they are religious without showing effort in belief. One can say that they are not religious by not showing effort.

I choose to do chores on Sunday. That's not showing any effort in lack of belief (mainly because Sundays are usually my only day off).
 Bismarck.Leneth
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Leneth 2014-10-07 16:23:55
Link | Quote | Reply

maldini said: »
Kurds using suicide bombing tactics /shocked!!!
That means the situation is really really bad... the kurds aren't the kind of people that believe in all that garbage.. I'm really shocked.
The situation: IS entered the city from 3 sides.
There are 2 major effects due to that:
-The gap in fighting ability is more evened now for the Kurdish fighters (big plus on short term)
-IS will be hard to drive out of the city if a ounteroffensive is possible (medium minus on mid term)
IS outnumbers the Kurdish people by around 3:1
Kurdish officers estimate only a few more days of resistance (on normal course this will be longer, but depends on if IS finds the tunnels)

They do know though that IS soldiers believe getting killed by a woman denies the entry to their paradise and the Kurdish fighters make use of it.
 Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby
By Gilgamesh.Tenshibaby 2014-10-07 16:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well does it take an effort to favor a kind of soup vs. not favor any soup, especially when the exposure to the soups is more or less equal in a given culture?
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-10-07 16:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I agree with you for the most part. I already covered violence & death threats. And I'm certainly not suggesting taking an action against every little insult or jab at your faith (this forum is full of it /shrug). Whether you reply/answer to those insults or not really depends on the situation.

Just a clarification (because a friend of mine thought the same), Muslims didn't get upset because of drawings per se, it was because of the nature of the drawings. Turban with a bomb in it etc.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2014-10-07 19:36:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
I agree with you for the most part. I already covered violence & death threats. And I'm certainly not suggesting taking an action against every little insult or jab at your faith (this forum is full of it /shrug). Whether you reply/answer to those insults or not really depends on the situation.

Just a clarification (because a friend of mine thought the same), Muslims didn't get upset because of drawings per se, it was because of the nature of the drawings. Turban with a bomb in it etc.
The original French one? I don't remember the exact drawing, if there was a bomb then there is a reason to be upset as it's an amalgam.

After checking, one said something offensive and the other was offensive but in a vague way, so dismissable.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/01/201312111048252465.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo

I can understand why a Muslim would be outraged by the whip drawing, I can understand the law suit and the overall drama, but I can't understand the attacks. And I can't understand being angry over the second drawing as it basically calls extremists jerks, not Muslims in general.
Being outraged and using law to punish them is normal, harming them or their belongings isn't. That's the nuance I want to point out.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-07 19:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

No, it isn't.

Agnosticism/gnosticism has nothing to do with belief but with knowledge.

But I never expect a religious person to admit to this as then they realize that they have no defense.
By maldini 2014-10-08 01:56:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Leneth said: »
maldini said: »
Kurds using suicide bombing tactics /shocked!!!
That means the situation is really really bad... the kurds aren't the kind of people that believe in all that garbage.. I'm really shocked.
The situation: IS entered the city from 3 sides.
There are 2 major effects due to that:
-The gap in fighting ability is more evened now for the Kurdish fighters (big plus on short term)
-IS will be hard to drive out of the city if a ounteroffensive is possible (medium minus on mid term)
IS outnumbers the Kurdish people by around 3:1
Kurdish officers estimate only a few more days of resistance (on normal course this will be longer, but depends on if IS finds the tunnels)

They do know though that IS soldiers believe getting killed by a woman denies the entry to their paradise and the Kurdish fighters make use of it.
I was reading your post seriously until that underlined part. There's no such belief.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-10-08 03:22:58
Link | Quote | Reply

The original French one? I don't remember the exact drawing, if there was a bomb then there is a reason to be upset as it's an amalgam.

After checking, one said something offensive and the other was offensive but in a vague way, so dismissable.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/01/201312111048252465.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Hebdo

I can understand why a Muslim would be outraged by the whip drawing, I can understand the law suit and the overall drama, but I can't understand the attacks. And I can't understand being angry over the second drawing as it basically calls extremists jerks, not Muslims in general.
Being outraged and using law to punish them is normal, harming them or their belongings isn't. That's the nuance I want to point out.
Then we totally agree.

I was referring to Jyllands-Posten cartoons earlier. How the west dealt with it only served to pour oil on the fire (he was given several awards for supporting "freedom of speech", including one by Merkell), and made any future portrayal of the prophet (especially caricatures) by the west to be met with strong suspicion of the intent behind it.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14