Gov. Rick Perry Indicted On Felony Charges

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 34 35 36
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-20 15:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I wanna see all your trophies Sparth. I hear you have lots.

Figure of speech...

Odin.Jassik said: »
Pleebo, you're some kind of brown, right? Would you say that you never see the effects of lingering racism?
I am some kind of brown! I can tell you which shade just let me get my swatches.

So you're gay, and latino? That's at least a double dose of the "you're a minority/victim" preaching directed at you everyday. No wonder you're so frequently venomous to people who think it's all nonsense, you hear it constantly from all sides.

Have you any other memberships in "protected classes"? Just curious.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 15:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
How much chili will Rick Perry eat in prison ?
Zero, cause he won't go to prison.

Semi-relevant:

After being booked, Rick Perry goes and gets some ice cream

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Gov. Rick Perry was defiant Tuesday as he was booked on abuse of power charges, telling dozens of cheering supporters outside a Texas courthouse that he would "fight this injustice with every fiber of my being."

Showing no hint of worry on his face, Perry flashed a thin, confident grin beneath perfect hair in his mug shot — then headed to a nearby Austin eatery for vanilla ice cream, even gleefully documenting his excursion via Twitter.

The Republican, who is mulling a second presidential run in 2016, was indicted after carrying out a threat to veto funding for state public corruption prosecutors. He has dismissed the case a political ploy, and supporters chanting his last name and holding signs — some declaring "Stop Democrat Games" and "Rick is Right" — greeted him upon arriving at a Travis County Courthouse in Austin.

"I'm going to fight this injustice with every fiber of my being. And we will prevail," Perry said before walking inside the building, where he set off a metal detector but didn't break stride, heading straight to a first-floor office to have his fingerprints taken and stand for the mug shot. In it he's wearing a blue tie but shed the glasses that have become something of his trademark in recent months.

The longest-serving governor in Texas history was indicted last week for coercion and official oppression for publicly promising to veto $7.5 million for the state public integrity unit, which investigates wrongdoing by elected officials and is run by the Travis County district attorney's office. Perry threatened the veto if the county's Democratic district attorney, Rosemary Lehmberg, stayed in office after a drunken driving conviction.

Lehmberg refused to resign and Perry carried out the veto, drawing an ethics complaint from a left-leaning government watchdog group.

Perry was indicted by a grand jury in Austin, a liberal bastion in otherwise mostly fiercely conservative Texas.

"I'm going to enter this courthouse with my head held high knowing the actions I took were not only lawful and legal, but right," Perry told supporters before heading inside the building located just steps from the governor's mansion.

In less than 10 minutes, the governor was outside again, telling those assembled that he was confident in the rule of law.

"We don't resolve political disputes or policy differences by indictments," he said. "We don't criminalize policy disagreements. We will prevail. We will prevail."

The atmosphere all around him felt less like an undignified perp walk and more like a full-throated campaign rally. Retired Coast Guard officer Dave Jimenez, 70, said he was standing with Perry despite being critical of his efforts to secure the Texas-Mexico border

"He let me down back then," Jimenez said. "But this is an attack on the political system. I'm just soured by it."

Perry's detractors also waited to relish a glimpse of him walking into court to face processing. Among them was an attorney who is defending more than a dozen Texas abortion clinics set to close this month under a tough anti-abortion bill signed by Perry last year.

"It's not about politics. It's about the governor's abuse of power," said attorney Jan Soifer, who's also a Democratic Party leader in Austin.

The governor, meanwhile, isn't letting the case keep him from a packed travel schedule that will take him to the early-voting states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina over the next two weeks. After his 2012 presidential campaign flamed out, the Republican opted not to seek re-election as governor in November — leaving him more time to focus on rehabilitating his image nationally.

If convicted on both counts, Perry could face a maximum 109 years in prison — though legal experts across the political spectrum have said the case against him may be a tough sell to a jury. No one disputes that Perry has the right to veto any measures passed by the state Legislature, including any parts of the state budget.

But the complaint against Perry alleges that by publicly threatening a veto and trying to force Lehmberg to resign, he coerced her. The Republican judge assigned to the case has assigned a San Antonio-based special prosecutor who insists the case is stronger than it may outwardly appear.

The governor has hired a team of high-powered attorneys, who are being paid with state funds to defend him.

Perry is the first Texas governor to be indicted since 1917. Top Republicans have been especially quick to defend him, though, since a jail video following Lehmberg's April 2013 arrest showed the district attorney badly slurring her words, shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell, and sticking her tongue out. Her blood alcohol level was also three times the legal limit for driving.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-20 15:51:11
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Errr...Chanti, you know if you actually drank that in Texas you outed yourself as a tourist?

shiner or dos!

Chanti gets a pass since she probably had that unfortunate incident around The Bicentennial or something. I was thinking Shiner at the low end then...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 15:52:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Figure of speech...

Pleebo, you're some kind of brown, right? Would you say that you never see the effects of lingering racism?
I am some kind of brown! I can tell you which shade just let me get my swatches.

So you're gay, and latino? That's at least a double dose of the "you're a minority/victim" preaching directed at you everyday. No wonder you're so frequently venomous to people who think it's all nonsense, you hear it constantly from all sides.

He is also mentally deficient, so he can commit murders in most states and get away with it. All he would have to show is his life-long membership card to the Church of Climate Science Al Gore, and he doesn't even get charged with bail.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
Server: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-08-20 15:57:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I could learn to appreciate the general consensus that church is where whack jobs go.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-20 15:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
I could learn to appreciate the general consensus that church is where whack jobs go.

Nice to see you finally calling our president, Harry Reid, etc. whack jobs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-20 16:00:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's only mildly insulting.

If you had bothered to read the rest rather than trip over yourself to reply to the first sentence, you would see that I don't consider myself a victim at all. In fact, I consider myself very fortunate, all things considered. It's nice to live in a time where most people are accepting and tolerant and I imagine if I had been born a decade or two sooner that same openness wouldn't have been easy or possible. I just find the prevailing attitude, the same attitude that was prevalent years ago, that it's ok to ***on minority groups for the multitude of crackpot reasons bigots come up with rather revolting.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-20 16:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Figure of speech...

He is also mentally deficient, so he can commit murders in most states and get away with it. All he would have to show is his life-long membership card to the Church of Climate Science Al Gore, and he doesn't even get charged with bail.

From the guy that reduced all 400 years of the Atlantic Slave Trade to the slaves being too lazy to run away.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-20 16:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Being Liberal/Progressive =/= liking or thinking Obama is doing a good job.

Jesus Christ people.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-20 16:02:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »

Jesus Christ people.

It's one thing saying they're not doing a good job. It's another calling them "whack jobs". My point still stands.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 16:02:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Figure of speech...

From the guy that reduced all 400 years of the Atlantic Slave Trade to the slaves being too lazy to run away.
Coming from a guy who confuses reality from fiction, I'm not surprised that is what you got from all that.

But then again, I'm surprised daily on your ability to breath. I figured that you would have tired yourself by now.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 16:03:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus Christ people.
Do you support Obama?
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-20 16:04:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus Christ people.

we should change the name of the random P&R thread to this.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 16:06:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Jesus Christ people.

we should change the name of the random P&R thread to this.
Can't, that would offend people of different faiths, like Judaism, Islam, Climate Science Al Gorism, and pretty much all other religions.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-08-20 16:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

good. *** em'.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-08-20 16:08:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure there are more church goers than that.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-20 16:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm sure there are more church goers than that.

Definition of ETCETERA

: a number of unspecified additional persons or things
plural : unspecified additional items :
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-20 16:14:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, that's only mildly insulting.

If you had bothered to read the rest rather than trip over yourself to reply to the first sentence, you would see that I don't consider myself a victim at all. In fact, I consider myself very fortunate, all things considered. It's nice to live in a time where most people are accepting and tolerant and I imagine if I had been born a decade or two sooner that same openness wouldn't have been easy or possible. I just find the prevailing attitude, the same attitude that was prevalent years ago, that it's ok to ***on minority groups for the multitude of crackpot reasons bigots come up with rather revolting.

It's not meant to be insulting, I quite seriously think that people who are constantly preached that they are victims will naturally absorb the idea they are somewhat of a victim. The whole liberal dogma of "the majority is the oppressor, the minority is the victim" naturally seeks to break off people from the majority and separate them into their own class. That's how it works. That's why when a white (majority) cop kills a black (minority) man, there's a media propelled riots, while when a black cop shoots a white kid in Utah, there's no media swarm.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-08-20 16:15:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sure, if you want to be lazy.

I don't think anyone can deny that the list would have been longer if fox news had reminded you who you're supposed to be hating this month.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-20 16:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

The only people who bring up Al Gore in CC discussions are those that have shown (surprise!) no actual understanding of the subject.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-20 16:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Jesus Christ people.

Of course it does, if you're liberal / progressive you voted him back into office. How can you possibly not see "voting for someone" as an endorsement?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-20 16:19:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I could learn to appreciate the general consensus that Random Thought is where whack jobs go.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-20 16:28:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think anyone can deny that the list would have been longer if fox news had reminded you who you're supposed to be hating this month.

Yeah, it's hard for them to remind me when I don't watch it. But don't let me shatter your world where everyone you don't like fits into a neat little stereotype package.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-20 16:28:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think anyone can deny that the list would have been longer if Huff Post had reminded you who you're supposed to be hating men this month.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-20 16:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Is Rick Perry on death row yet ? He is guilty I'm not sure of what but he is guilty.

He probably beats his wife and drinks Coors Light.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-08-20 16:34:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, it's hard for them to remind me when I don't watch it. But don't let me shatter your world where everyone you don't like fits into a neat little stereotype package.

You're completely correct, just like how I actually care about Harry Reid, Obama, etc.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-08-20 16:35:50
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
Is Rick Perry on death row yet ? He is guilty I'm not sure of what but he is guilty.

He probably beats his wife and drinks Coors Light.

He needs to take a page from John Lennon's playbook. Write a song about world peace and everyone forgets that you beat your wife.

Drinking Coors Light, on the other hand... I dunno if there's a song for that.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 16:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

How can you possibly not see "voting for someone" as an endorsement?
Accountability.

That's a bad word, like responsibility.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-20 16:39:54
Link | Quote | Reply

What we all came here to see Rick Perry's daughter:

http://sydneymperry.wix.com/portfolio#
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-20 16:43:09