Gov. Rick Perry Indicted On Felony Charges

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
Gov. Rick Perry indicted on felony charges
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 34 35 36
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-19 15:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Is it not possible that people can be bad with money because they are never given the opportunity to have any?
Why cause they don't have a job?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-19 15:41:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Is it not possible that people can be bad with money because they are never given the opportunity to have any?
Why cause they don't have a job?

Or because they have almost no social mobility. Let's say you are born with basically nothing, boohoo your parent's didn't think ahead or whatever. You would have to find some kind of unskilled job as a launch pad for your skyrocket up the ladder of success. Making less money than you need for the most basic survival while managing to pay your way though school is basically impossible without some kind of assistance. Government backed student loans, subsidized student housing, grants, scholarships... you can look at those as leeching off the successful or you can look at them as an investment in our future.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-19 15:43:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Or because they have almost no social mobility.
Good excuse.

Explain how people with no social mobility become rich again?

Or right, in your view of reality, they don't.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-19 15:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Good excuse.

That's an oxymoron, most rich people inherited most or all of their wealth.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-19 15:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

1st) Everyone is born with nothing Jassik. Poverty is the default state of human existence.

2nd) I agree that there are difficult choices to make in order to climb out of poverty but to suggest that one cannot climb out of poverty is simply absurd.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-19 15:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Good excuse.

Talk about a stereotype
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-19 15:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a compounding problem and a cyclical path to doom.

If your parents have a shitty job, they're most likely out working alot and don't have the time needed to properly raise you. Worse if you're in a single family home.

This means you're raised by the environment around you - an environment of misery, failure and hopelessness. Your formative years are spent surrounded by awful influences and your ability to dream is severely curtailed. You need only look at the ghetto and see people who can't think beyond the blocks they're raised on. Emphasis is put on material objects designed to dull the reality of being broke, hopeless and seen as vermin by society. Liquor, drugs and fleeting pleasures like cars, clothes and women reign supreme.

The few people who do escape the hood come to resent it. Why? Because these neighborhoods look down upon education. Why? Because those formative years weren't spent putting VALUE on it. Why? Because your parents were too busy working and not busy teaching you about it. Worse, people hear you're from the hood and they try to somehow malign you for it so most people attempt to whitewash their origins.

"I was born in a small suburb outside the city." = "I was born in the ghetto but am exercising spin to avoid telling the truth."

So the few 'winners' never give back to the community or attempt to pull people out and the cycle begins anew. What results is a failure factory that society largely leaves to its own devices until it becomes relevant enough to address. Funds are either squandered through corruption or the idea that failure is the norm in ghettoes and so we continue 'round and 'round. White leaders pat themselves on the back for being 'better', black leaders march to nowhere or pray in circles for deliverance and the hood stays the same.

Make no mistake, you need to money and knowledge to succeed. People in the hood lack both. And on top of that the black stereotypes so deeply rooted in this society mean even our smartest blacks are subject to some dumb ***rolling off the mouth of an ignorant person.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-08-19 15:54:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Good excuse.

Talk about a stereotype

With the exception of Billionaires (who are about 50/50), most of the 1% inherited most of their wealth, it's not a stereotype, it's actually true.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-19 15:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Good excuse.

Talk about a stereotype
It depends on what you consider rich. I would say it's not actually a stereo type when it comes to the super wealthy as the majority of that money is being passed from generation to generation.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-19 16:00:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Good excuse.

Sure, whatever you say.

Then again, your comment would be something I would expect from somebody who knows about as much business as a McDonald's manager.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-19 16:04:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
For a beautiful anecdote, I'm my families second degree-holder. Second.
But I bet it's in synchronized underwater farting so it doesn't count. (Congrats though!)

Pleebo, you're some kind of brown, right? Would you say that you never see the effects of lingering racism?
I am some kind of brown! I can tell you which shade just let me get my swatches.

I'm a dark-ish Mexican living in the Southwest so I have occasionally encountered some negative attitudes but it's mostly been associated with those snap judgement people tend to make. So people assuming I don't speak English so they do that patronizing slow talking, things like that. I feel like I've been pretty fortunate in that parents were able to move out of the ***neighborhood I was born in when I was really young so I got to avoid a lot of the negativity associated with them.

I don't have to look much farther than some of my first cousins to see what might have been had it not been for that and a few other choice opportunities. Granted they've made some very poor decisions, but the environment can take it's toll, even on the seemingly innocuous kids I used to hide and seek with. Not that I think I'm a cholo gang banger in some other alternate universe, but I'm aware that things could have turned out differently as some aspects of your life are just not in your control and persist because racial disparity is not something that exists apparently.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-19 16:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a compounding problem and a cyclical path to doom.

If your parents have a shitty job, they're most likely out working alot and don't have the time needed to properly raise you. Worse if you're in a single family home.

This means you're raised by the environment around you - an environment of misery, failure and hopelessness. Your formative years are spent surrounded by awful influences and your ability to dream is severely curtailed. You need only look at the ghetto and see people who can't think beyond the blocks they're raised on. Emphasis is put on material objects designed to dull the reality of being broke, hopeless and seen as vermin by society. Liquor, drugs and fleeting pleasures like cars, clothes and women reign supreme.

The few people who do escape the hood come to resent it. Why? Because these neighborhoods look down upon education. Why? Because those formative years weren't spent putting VALUE on it. Why? Because your parents were too busy working and not busy teaching you about it. Worse, people hear you're from the hood and they try to somehow malign you for it so most people attempt to whitewash their origins.

So the few 'winners' never give back to the community or attempt to pull people out and the cycle begins anew. What results is a failure factory that society largely leaves to its own devices until it becomes relevant enough to address. Funds are either squandered through corruption or the idea that failure is the norm in ghettoes and so we continue 'round and 'round.

Make no mistake, you need to money and knowledge to succeed. People in the hood lack both. And on top of that the black stereotypes.

So I would think that if you were raise in a shitty single parent home, you would adopt to choose to not raise your child in the same environment.

You don't need to grow up wealthy in order to succeed. That's the poorest excuse for apathy I've ever heard. You do certainly need some kinds of skill sets but only parts of them knowledge comes from the fine educators within our public schooling. The rest come from experience having a job. Also a little risk taking and sacrifice don't hurt either.

I had no idea that lack of dreaming was a physiological condition of being poor. Those poor unfortunate souls.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-08-19 16:08:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah but you're always gonna have people who make bad decisions, and are poor because of those decision. Why not allow them the freedom to make those bad decisions. I mean shouldn't I be allowed to spend money I should've saved on hookers and blow if I want to?
Yes, you should. So why is it illegal in the US again?
You are also assuming that spending it in that manner is a bad decision, which is also subjective and situational.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-08-19 16:17:21
Link | Quote | Reply

1st) Everyone is born with nothing Jassik. Poverty is the default state of human existence.
Are you seriously implying that because babies flop out of the vagina with no cash on them that everyone is born on equal footing? Please tell me you forgot the sarcasm tags.
2nd) I agree that there are difficult choices to make in order to climb out of poverty but to suggest that one cannot climb out of poverty is simply absurd.
This is the perfect example of how we're not allowed to talk about these things. You acknowledge it can be difficult yet you'd rather hang on to some cheap strawman argument in order to remain contrary.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-19 16:17:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Yeah but you're always gonna have people who make bad decisions, and are poor because of those decision. Why not allow them the freedom to make those bad decisions. I mean shouldn't I be allowed to spend money I should've saved on hookers and blow if I want to?
Yes, you should. So why is it illegal in the US again?
You are also assuming that spending it in that manner is a bad decision, which is also subjective and situational.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-08-19 16:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Are you seriously implying that because babies flop out of the vagina with no cash on them that everyone is born on equal footing? Please tell me you forgot the sarcasm tags.
This is the perfect example of how we're not allowed to talk about these things. You acknowledge it can be difficult yet you'd rather hang on to some cheap strawman argument in order to remain contrary.
I'm saying that poverty is natural, just that there will always be poverty, it is not a "fixable" problem. There are plenty of babies born into rich families that make poor decisions and become impoverished. Its the natural state of human existence.

People climb out of poverty everyday. Others get mired down in the quagmire and stay in it for the rest of their lives. Mostly their own choices are to blame. Spending their money on hookers and blow instead of the rent, etc.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-08-19 16:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need to grow up wealthy in order to succeed.
You most certainly do not, but it sure as hell helps. Having situational advantages like that puts you way ahead of the crowd.

They did a thing on Bill Gates and how from a younger age he had access to computers when almost noone else did. Does that automatically make him who he is? No. Did it give him an advantage in the game? Most certainly.

Just saying working hard will get you everything you want is ludicrous Nausi. There's more to it than that. Calling people lazy because they are not successful is just ignorance.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-19 16:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm saying that poverty is natural, just that there will always be poverty, it is not a "fixable" problem. There are plenty of babies born into rich families that make poor decisions and become impoverished. Its the natural state of human existence.

People climb out of poverty everyday. Others get mired down in the quagmire and stay in it for the rest of their lives. Mostly their own choices are to blame. Spending their money on hookers and blow instead of the rent, etc.

Again. More cynicism and pessimism.

I disagree. I think it can be fixed and driven away.

Probably not in the lifetime of anyone currently alive. But we can start taking the first steps toward that.

A truly global economy will be the start. Whether it comes on this side or the other of another major war in the world, I can't say. I'd like to say we avoid it, because we're really not far from a truly global economy as it is. I mean, you think the situations in the Ukraine or Israel would be as subdued as they are if the global economy didn't stand to suffer drastically if major players started taking shots at each other?

We'll get there. Eventually. If we don't wipe ourselves out first.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-08-19 16:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Do you not understand that because of underlying racism there is still a stigma that still causes "white-flight", thus leaving less opportunities and educational resources for those who are left in certain areas? Education is not equal across the board, so how exactly do people have the same opportunities even when it's not provided within the household?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-19 16:33:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-19 16:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Calling people lazy because they are not successful is just ignorance.
That's not why they are lazy. Demanding that they get more money for less work than they already do, even though they already do minimum wage work, and not do anything to improve themselves, that's lazy.

I'm sorry, but anyone demanding $15/hr for flipping burgers is doing nothing but being counterproductive to society.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-19 16:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Do you not understand that because of underlying racism there is still a stigma that still causes "white-flight", thus leaving less opportunities and educational resources for those who are left in certain areas? Education is not equal across the board, so how exactly do people have the same opportunities even when it's not provided within the household?

Zahrah with the reality bomb!
By Jetackuu 2014-08-19 16:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
If you wish to prevent any individual person possessing biological, chemical, or nuclear weapons, ICBMs, rocket launchers, tanks, mortars, artillery, etc. then you are violating their absolute right to bear arms.

Most rational people recognize that there should be some limits on what arms individuals are allowed to possess.

If you agree that some are allowed to be prevented, then all you are doing is trying to define the scope of encroachment on the right to bear arms.

But they're not equivocal, nuclear weapons and chemical weapons both contain items that are banned by their inherit danger in themselves, regardless of being weaponized.

However the rest of that list should be allowed, 100% and the fact that they try to limit it is a direct violation of the 2nd amendment.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-19 16:37:04
Link | Quote | Reply

King, that has nothing to do with the arguments being presented, strawman elsewhere.

We're talking about generational poverty and the underlying issues that create ghettoization of communities.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-19 16:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
By not squandering the education they receive.

It doesn't matter how much money you throw at education, the quality rests solely on the child in question, and the parents ability to nurture it.

If the parents don't want to encourage or help their kid's education, and instead encourage laziness and lack of responsibility, then how is that the fault of the teachers and/or school system in place?

Don't forget that learning is a two-way street, both delivery and receiving.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-19 16:41:28
Link | Quote | Reply

You see, we're not allowed to discuss the underlying causes of violence, which is ultimately the discussion that needs to be had when it comes to gun control. The poor are just lazy, income disparity is supply and demand, minorities are only holding themselves back, mental illness is imaginary, and most rape victims are making it up. There's a conservative cop-out answer for anything because actually addressing the real issues might accidentally involve some deep introspection and acknowledgement that American Exceptionalismâ„¢ is a load of ***.

I'm for talking about all of these issues, where do we start?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-08-19 16:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

King, that has nothing to do with the arguments being presented, strawman elsewhere.

We're talking about generational poverty and the underlying issues that create ghettoization of communities.
I'm sorry about your narrow vision. I know that you can't comprehend the scope of the issue, and instead focus (laser-like even) on one issue at a time.

Let's see how that works....
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-08-19 16:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you're missing the point. Maybe you might want to take a look at the wall of informative text I provided you above.

You're attempts to shuffle everything onto the backs of the individual rather than looking at the overarching superstructure isn't lost on me.

Nausi's 'everyone is poor, we cant change things' defeatism runs completely against the ideology that hard work and innovation is what makes America great. So in that case, lets tackle the institutionalized racism in this country.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-08-19 16:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

American Exceptionalismâ„¢ is a load of ***.
Pleebo finally says something I totally agree with. I knew it was bound to happen.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-19 16:46:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Pleebo, you're some kind of brown, right? Would you say that you never see the effects of lingering racism?
Dude I'm white and I see the effects of lingering racism all the time. I try to stay away from people as the "normal" people in large numbers bother me greatly, and even if one on one I can find some common ground, some people just make me want to bash them in the face, so I keep to myself, where I won't get in trouble.

Like my child's mother's grandma: I had to sit in a room with the crazy old racist *** bag for 15 minutes and I never wanted to bash an old lady so hard, or get out of that room any faster.
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 34 35 36