Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 96 97 98 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 10:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Altimaomega said: »
Upping tariffs is the only way the USA is gonna get back into the "making things" game.

Cutting the minimum wage in half would work better!

You're only going half as far as you need. Abolish the minimum wage. Let the free market determine the value of a labor and service force. What's the worst that could happen?
aside from the obvious shanty towns and sudden up-cropping of plantation like settings, that dabble in slavery?

People having a good time working 'til the day they die on the conveyor belt or face-plant onto a McDonald's clamshell grill.

The market will sort that out though. If people think they're underpaid, they'll just pull themselves up by those bootstraps and find a better opportunity. Quit justifying being lazy.
I know you are trying to be sarcastic and supercilious at the same time, but does it have to be so blatantly obvious?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 10:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Upping tariffs is the only way the USA is gonna get back into the "making things" game.

You're only going half as far as you need. Abolish the minimum wage. Let the free market determine the value of a labor and service force. What's the worst that could happen?
aside from the obvious shanty towns and sudden up-cropping of plantation like settings, that dabble in slavery?

People having a good time working 'til the day they die on the conveyor belt or face-plant onto a McDonald's clamshell grill.

The market will sort that out though. If people think they're underpaid, they'll just pull themselves up by those bootstraps and find a better opportunity. Quit justifying being lazy.
I know you are trying to be sarcastic and supercilious at the same time, but does it have to be so blatantly obvious?
Jes.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 10:32:40
Link | Quote | Reply

th

the minimum wage only applies to those that follow the rules in the first place. there are an estimated 3.6 million people already not receiving that wage.

forbes article
A) That 3.6 million is the figure that includes minimum wage earners.

B) That 3.6 million figure includes waitstaff, which earns lower than minimum wage but receives more per hour on average than minimum wage through tips.

That figure is misleading.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 10:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

th

the minimum wage only applies to those that follow the rules in the first place. there are an estimated 3.6 million people already not receiving that wage.

forbes article
A) That 3.6 million is the figure that includes minimum wage earners.

B) That 3.6 million figure includes waitstaff, which earns lower than minimum wage but receives more per hour on average than minimum wage through tips.

That figure is misleading.
The article also doesn't include, or link to, anything about the rising cost of living in areas, where even 3 income earners in a house hold making a collective 50k a year, is woefully inadequate, and the fact that the sharing that burden has become a necessity.

Although, on the flipside, no one really takes into account what is unnecessary and can be done without, or what is labeled a necessary cost. One minor accident can cause a looming debt that could take years to pay off, regardless of the precautions taken by a reasonable person.

Then there are medical issues that are out of your control, that arise from genetics, or a sequenced genetic mutation, inhalation of toxins such as mold from places suffering from constant water damage.

Or things that insurance companies will fight you to the death (sometimes in a semi-literal way) before they cover it.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 10:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Quit putting words in my mouth.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-02 10:44:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I totally failed reading the "AT"

I was looking for an estimate of the number of illegals earning sub minimum wage.

[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 10:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing that bugs me about the Minimum Wage article on Forbes is that they take people earning exactly, or below the minimum wage. If someone is paid 5c more than minimum wage, they're not included in the numbers. (Though the writer happily includes numbers from higher brackets when it coincides with his agenda)

Minimum wage increase makes low-level jobs competitive with some high demand jobs that pay just a bit more. For example, Low-level health care workers for example who make something like $10 an hour, would you rather sweep a shop for $10/hr or wipe someone's *** with Hepatitis for $10 an hour?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-02 10:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing that bugs me about the Minimum Wage article on Forbes is that they take people earning exactly, or below the minimum wage. If someone is paid 5c more than minimum wage, they're not included in the numbers. (Though the writer happily includes numbers from higher brackets when it coincides with his agenda)

Minimum wage increase makes low-level jobs competitive with some high demand jobs that pay just a bit more. For example, Low-level health care workers for example who make something like $10 an hour, would you rather sweep a shop for $10/hr or wipe someone's *** with Hepatitis for $10 an hour?

learn a trade that doesn't require you to do either?
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 12:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Typical response of someone afraid to confront a question. Get back to me when you have the ability to think critically.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-02 12:06:56
Link | Quote | Reply

the shop does need swept though. if you two could quit arguing & get back to work, that'd be lovely, mmm'kay.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 12:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
the shop does need swept though. if you two could quit arguing & get back to work, that'd be lovely, mmm'kay.

Sorry, but my labor is worth 985$ an hour. I came down 1.5% so you should thank me for being so generous.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:17:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Typical response of someone afraid to confront a question. Get back to me when you have the ability to think critically.
What do you suggest a janitor make per hour?

Or, as you call it, a Low-level health care worker? One without any medical education at all.

Or a fast-food cook?

Or an unfriendly cashier?

Or a car washer?

Also, do you realize that, if you increase their wages to $15 per hour, the cost of living will also increase at a higher rate? Perfect examples are most of California and NYC, where minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum, but the costs of living are much higher than areas where the minimum wage is the federal minimum.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

Sorry, but my labor is worth 985$ an hour. I came down 1.5% so you should thank me for being so generous.
Good luck finding work at that price.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-02 12:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Police Arrest Young Black Politician For Distributing Voting Rights Leaflets

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA—The stars of North Carolina’s Moral Mondays movement took the stage on Labor Day at Charlotte’s Marshall Park to condemn the state’s record on voter suppression and racial profiling, and urge the community to organize and turn out at the polls this November. Just a few hundred feet away, police cuffed and arrested local LGBT activist and former State Senate candidate Ty Turner as he was putting voting rights information on parked cars.

“They said they would charge me for distributing literature,” Turner told ThinkProgress when he was released a few hours later. “I asked [the policeman] for the ordinance number [being violated], because they can’t put handcuffs on you if they cannot tell you why they’re detaining you. I said, ‘Show me where it’s illegal to do this.’ But he would not do it. The officer got mad and grabbed me. Then he told me that I was resisting arrest!”
There's more.....
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-02 12:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, do you realize that, if you increase their wages to $15 per hour, the cost of living will also increase at a higher rate?
Can you link anything at all that supports this? Minimum wage research is pretty happenin' right now so shouldn't be hard.
Perfect examples are most of California and NYC, where minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum, but the costs of living are much higher than areas where the minimum wage is the federal minimum.
false cause fallacy
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Police Arrest Young Black Politician For Distributing Voting Rights Leaflets

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA—The stars of North Carolina’s Moral Mondays movement took the stage on Labor Day at Charlotte’s Marshall Park to condemn the state’s record on voter suppression and racial profiling, and urge the community to organize and turn out at the polls this November. Just a few hundred feet away, police cuffed and arrested local LGBT activist and former State Senate candidate Ty Turner as he was putting voting rights information on parked cars.

“They said they would charge me for distributing literature,” Turner told ThinkProgress when he was released a few hours later. “I asked [the policeman] for the ordinance number [being violated], because they can’t put handcuffs on you if they cannot tell you why they’re detaining you. I said, ‘Show me where it’s illegal to do this.’ But he would not do it. The officer got mad and grabbed me. Then he told me that I was resisting arrest!”
There's more.....
I tried to read that, I really did, but I couldn't pull the *** out of the story.

All I got from that was "Black Man arrested for breaking the law."
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-02 12:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
false cause fallacy

I tried to teach him that one. I don't think he got it.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 12:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ohh we're back to minimum wage talks.

I guess the Obama economy is so awful that we've abandoned the hope of making better and more specialized jobs in favor of trying to be able to live comfortably on jobs no one is supposed to live comfortably on.

Yes. We. Can.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-02 12:30:33
Link | Quote | Reply

don't hold your breath, I'm HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE!
[+]
By volkom 2014-09-02 12:30:55
Link | Quote | Reply

another beheading~

source
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:31:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Also, do you realize that, if you increase their wages to $15 per hour, the cost of living will also increase at a higher rate?
Can you link anything at all that supports this? Minimum wage research is pretty happenin' right now so shouldn't be hard.

Name a city in the US that has minimum wage at $15+/hour. I'm sure you would find one and be completely wrong about it.

I'm also sure you would site "cause and effect fallacy" if I gave you the most obvious example.....oh wait...
Quote:
Perfect examples are most of California and NYC, where minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum, but the costs of living are much higher than areas where the minimum wage is the federal minimum.
false cause fallacy
Yeah, you did give the "cause and effect fallacy" excuse. I'm sure that you have a "logic fallacy" excuse too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

I guess the Obama economy is so awful that we've abandoned the hope of making better and more specialized jobs in favor of trying to be able to live comfortably on jobs no one is supposed to live comfortably on.

Yes. We. Can.
I'm sure that if you say that most studies show that raising minimum wages will decrease the number of jobs out there as "false cause fallacy" also.

And then demand research on that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:34:00
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
another beheading~

source
Just great.

Can't we just blame Bush for this upcoming war and get it over with?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 12:38:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Or, as you call it, a Low-level health care worker? One without any medical education at all.

Or a fast-food cook?

Or a car washer?

Also, do you realize that, if you increase their wages to $15 per hour, the cost of living will also increase at a higher rate? Perfect examples are most of California and NYC, where minimum wage is higher than the federal minimum, but the costs of living are much higher than areas where the minimum wage is the federal minimum.

Quit putting words in my mouth, I never said or suggested any of that. Reading Comprehension [do you need it?]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 12:40:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. We. Can.
I'm sure that if you say that most studies show that raising minimum wages will decrease the number of jobs out there as "false cause fallacy" also.

And then demand research on that.

More energy wasted in the wrong place IMO, I'm unsure as to the origins of this particular form of misanthropy, but it just serves as more evidence that liberals would rather spread the misery of an awful economy rather than enable prosperity through opportunity.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 12:41:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Or a fast-food cook?

Or a car washer?

Quit putting words in my mouth, I never said or suggested any of that. Reading Comprehension [do you need it?]
Are you feeling ok?
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-02 12:42:42
Link | Quote | Reply

More energy wasted in the wrong place IMO, I'm unsure as to the origins of this particular form of misanthropy, but it just serves as more evidence that liberals would rather spread the misery of an awful economy rather than enable prosperity through opportunity.

Too bad it doesn't trump the fact that conservatives prefer to do nothing about the economy, as seen by their elected officials in Washington. Nice try tho. You guys really suck at labeling.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 12:43:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Whatever, you guys are the ones in favor of a Minimum wage to begin with. I still think we should get rid of it and let the market sort out wages.

Or a fast-food cook?

Or a car washer?

Are you feeling ok?

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 12:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »

Too bad it doesn't trump the fact that conservatives prefer to do nothing about the economy, as seen by their elected officials in Washington. Nice try tho. You guys really suck at labeling.
Thanks Vic, I needed that laugh today (it is "Monday" after all)...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 96 97 98 ... 1375 1376 1377