Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 94 95 96 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Shiva.Viciousss
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 23:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »

Not necessarily, the main difference is that we won't be receiving as much, not that we're transporting more. Transportation would effectively remain the same with the direction of domestic shipping and production having to be regional. It would require large investments to even be feasible and the product wouldn't make any more money. You can't just reinvent an economy, keep prices artificially low, and expect things to work out.

You can in his fantasy world. And I thought nausi was bad.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-09-01 23:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
So, how exactly would upping international tariffs help again? If you could elaborate on that, maybe we could get a better feel for what you're saying. At the moment, it's simply, "People don't live like I live, so *** 'em!"

Upping tariffs is the only way the USA is gonna get back into the "making things" game. The only reason we don't make a lot of stuff anymore is because its so cheap just to import since the people oversea work for a dollar. Liberals are all "slavery bad" but could give a ***less about the slave labor overseas. (not saying this is gonna fix that problem, but we have our own problems to worry about)
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 23:31:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Making quality goods that the consumer can trust at being of quality they'd pay for, is the only way the US is going to get back into the "Making things" game.

Tariffs have almost nothing to do with it.

Actually, upping tariffs could potentially harm the "Making things" game, when the local economy runs out of the materials necessary, requiring an upsurge in prices for importing the materials to make goods.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 23:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you now trying to claim that conservatives care about slavery overseas? You need to stop with these pathetic labels, because everything you say can be 100% applied to the other side as well.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-09-01 23:33:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
So, how exactly would upping international tariffs help again? If you could elaborate on that, maybe we could get a better feel for what you're saying. At the moment, it's simply, "People don't live like I live, so *** 'em!"

Upping tariffs is the only way the USA is gonna get back into the "making things" game. The only reason we don't make a lot of stuff anymore is because its so cheap just to import since the people oversea work for a dollar. Liberals are all "slavery bad" but could give a ***less about the slave labor overseas. (not saying this is gonna fix that problem, but we have our own problems to worry about)
Where the *** did you get that correlation?
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 23:33:47
Link | Quote | Reply

It's really his go-to response. He doesn't have a point or argument to make, it's suddenly the big bad liberal agenda.

Don't get me wrong, Liberals have an agenda. Although I hear they prefer to call it a Day Planner.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 23:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

That really only hurts the average consumer because the cost of domestic goods doesn't go down just because the cost of foreign ones goes up. Enjoy paying $20 bucks a pair for socks.

Also, did you seriously just say that liberals don't care about slave labor overseas? I'm pretty sure it's almost exclusively the bleeding heart liberals who give a crap about those things.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-01 23:34:19
Link | Quote | Reply

See, but you didn't extend that courtesy to produce that can only be bred abroad earlier, then you broadened the scope to manufactured items. That's where I gave my examples.

-.- I think I should go to bed.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-01 23:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

There have been some very liberal businesses and business owners that have blacklisted or refused to do further businesses when it came to light where there product was coming from.

And the quality of goods has increased.

Then again, I never bothered to shop at Roots (A Canadian clothing company that was apparently proud that they used slave labor for clothing that was "made in Canada", when it was really made in China)
By Altimaomega 2014-09-01 23:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Alright ffs do you people realize the USA has more than 30 million acres of prime farmland sitting around doing nothing? Do you people realize that if we stopped selling grain overseas we could produce practically anything your refined palates desire AND STILL HAVE EXTRA?

Keep your heads up each others *** though and keep misinterpreting everything I say.

Quote:
Nobody's saying just cut the cord and start tomorrow either but it need to be worked towards.

What about the jobs lost in the process? It takes a handful of people with modern equipment to tend a thousand acres of farm land vs the hundreds or thousands of jobs it would displace. That's not even considering the impossibility of growing enough of everything that 320 million people could have what they want year round.

Don't even worry about that man, despite it being true. Like you said earlier, hope everyone wants to be a vegetarian, say goodbye to fruit and meat. But that doesn't even matter, the country can't produce enough food to feed 320 million people 365 days a year, even on a grain only diet.

Are you really that slow? The USA consumes more meat per person than any other country as it is and we grow the vast majority of it. "I've actually never seen foreign meat for sale, and if i did it would scare the ***outta me." I'm guessing you know absolutely nothing about life outside your mom's basement.
America imports between 25-30% of it's beef from Canada, and nearly 40%-50% of it's energy from us as well. Hence why the Keystone Pipeline was such a big issue, more so for Americans, and a passing fancy for Canadians, selling excess oil at reduced rates.

30 Million Acres of agriculture necessities doesn't even begin to produce the amount of food needed to support people year round, unless you have a few metric tons of "Grow M Good" laying around for shortened growth cycles. You'd reach a state of famine within the year. You also have to account for the affect of current consumer trust in American made goods (which is currently at an alarming low), local prices rising, cost of transportation rising, based on rising fuel costs, etc.

What actually is happening, is that America spends more on groceries in a week, than most places spend on groceries in a year. As it is, food is already wasted due to severe lack of proper inspections, recalls for tampered, damaged, or otherwise rotten goods being sold, the civil suits being waged for damages and wrongful deaths, and so forth.

Wow, it must suck to live in your world. Though mine was bad..

Alright ffs do you people realize the USA has more than 30 million acres of prime farmland sitting around doing nothing? Do you people realize that if we stopped selling grain overseas we could produce practically anything your refined palates desire AND STILL HAVE EXTRA?

Keep your heads up each others *** though and keep misinterpreting everything I say.

Quote:
Nobody's saying just cut the cord and start tomorrow either but it need to be worked towards.

What about the jobs lost in the process? It takes a handful of people with modern equipment to tend a thousand acres of farm land vs the hundreds or thousands of jobs it would displace. That's not even considering the impossibility of growing enough of everything that 320 million people could have what they want year round.

What jobs would this displace? If anything it would make millions of jobs.

Shipping, transportation, commodities, inspection, grocers, warehouses, etc. You don't really think these things through before you pass judgement on them.

Your gonna need all these things even shipping "panama canal" to transport food from one coast to the other. More than likely gonna need to expand all these areas.

Not necessarily, the main difference is that we won't be receiving as much, not that we're transporting more. Transportation would effectively remain the same with the direction of domestic shipping and production having to be regional. It would require large investments to even be feasible and the product wouldn't make any more money. You can't just reinvent an economy, keep prices artificially low, and expect things to work out.

That is exactly what our government is doing right now.. You really think prices are not being kept as low as possible by the government subsidy's..

Must be nice to be liberal, sit around and *** and never even attempt anything to make things better.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 23:38:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There you go again with your pretend labels, failing to make a point.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-09-01 23:40:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Here we go again talking in circles and trying to change topics. ffs.. You guys win, its no fun talking to walls.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-09-01 23:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Whoa, who tried to change the topic? Nope, we are still talking about the same thing, unless you consider yourself talking about the big bad gov't as changing the topic, in which case, you are guilty of your own allegation. Wouldn't shock me.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-09-01 23:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh...This kind of reaffirms my intuitive tug that Altima's push for heavier international tariffs might be just to show "them dag-nab brownies and foreigners"!

/cringe

"They talks funny!"
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-01 23:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh...This kind of reaffirms my intuitive tug that Altima's push for heavier international tariffs might be just to show "them dag-nab brownies"!

/cringe
Just like them bombs of democracy?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 23:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Ugh...This kind of reaffirms my intuitive tug that Altima's push for heavier international tariffs might be just to show "them dag-nab brownies"!

/cringe

Those are freedom missiles, mister!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-01 23:47:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Upping tariffs is just putting more money in government's pocket to piss away.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-01 23:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

/cringe

It's bombs of democracy and missiles of love.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-01 23:48:12
Link | Quote | Reply

/cringe

Liberty Drones FTW
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-01 23:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

/cringe

Liberty Drones FTW
Paid for with the freedom tax.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 01:54:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, I feel really stupid for saying that the slaves should have just run away... Oh wait...
Was that not the purpose behind the underground railroad, to help slaves run away?
According to the revisionists, slaves loved their masters and did not want to change their way of life, so they stayed put their entire lives.

Never mind the opposing views and historical facts. Everyone who disagrees with them are racists.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-02 02:24:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
According to the revisionists, slaves loved their masters and did not want to change their way of life, so they stayed put their entire lives.

Never mind the opposing views and historical facts. Everyone who disagrees with them are racists.
See, I don't call people stupid because I don't agree with them, I call them stupid because they portray the stupidity in their responses constantly.
Indeed.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-09-02 04:04:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Coffee.

Don't *** with people's coffee. Only Hawaii has the climate to produce it naturally in the US and the quantity they produce is much lower than demand.

Also, I'm not familiar with the northen climate farms but in FL and GA migrant workers are used for picking citrus, pecans, and other crops.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 05:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people display a level of stupid that just can't be fixed.

Most slaves were far too terrified of the people who owned them to run away. Many of the ones who tried were savagely beaten, whipped, or simply shot, to set an example of by those who were hired to keep an eye on them.

Way to overlook historical facts.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 06:45:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, I feel really stupid for saying that the slaves should have just run away... Oh wait...
Was that not the purpose behind the underground railroad, to help slaves run away?

Sarcasm.

The other post [that people refer to], was about present day slavery that exists in foreign nations, like North Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan (only 3 countries I can think of right now).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 06:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

See, I don't call people stupid because I don't agree with them, I call them stupid because they portray the stupidity in their responses constantly.
Indeed.
Congratulations of failing to make a point yet again.

Most slaves were far too terrified of the people who owned them to run away. Many of the ones who tried were savagely beaten, whipped, or simply shot, to set an example of by those who were hired to keep an eye on them.
And yet, slaves still did escape north and west.

I never said that they weren't caught and beaten to death. I said that those who tried to escape and/or succeeded took matters in their own hands and changed their environment into something better.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 07:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you escape debt slavery from a debt based economy?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 07:25:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Indeed.
Congratulations of failing to make a point yet again.

And yet, slaves still did escape north and west.

I never said that they weren't caught and beaten to death. I said that those who tried to escape and/or succeeded took matters in their own hands and changed their environment into something better.
Not even 1% of the slaves that tried to escape managed to do so.

It became increasingly difficult to escape when plantation owners, or anyone who "employed" slaves, pretty much held hostage the families of those who tried, beating, maiming, and killing them as well, just to make further examples of anyone else to tried to escape.

I would hardly call less than 1% any kind of success, when there were checks and stops that captured and resold escaped slaves.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-02 07:49:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If we're making up numbers, then let's put the total number of slaves at 500,000 between the years 1680 and 1808. (estimate)

Number of escaped slaves we'll put at 100,000. (estimate)

So that's 20%, with about 17,000 ending up Ontario alone. (estimate)

EDIT: Since people love graphs:

[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 08:16:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If we're making up numbers, then let's put the total number of slaves at 500,000 between the years 1680 and 1808. (estimate)

Number of escaped slaves we'll put at 100,000. (estimate)

So that's 20%, with about 17,000 ending up Ontario alone. (estimate)

EDIT: Since people love graphs:

Nice try, but better learn your history, bro.

Ontario didn't exist until 1867, and prior to that, was part of the Province of Canada from 1791 to 1849.

Between 1680 and 1808, there were an estimated 12.5million slaves taken from all corners of the earth. Indigenous people, chines, Japanese, African, and so on. Some of the wealthiest slave owners held between 50-200 slaves.

Most of the escaping slaves were recaptured, and returned, and brutally punished. Plenty of people made good business in hunting down escaped slaves.

Then again, at the time, (When French settlers in what is now Canada owned 90% of what is currently Ontario, and was originally part of the Province of Quebec) would either return the escaped slaves to their place, beat and maim them, or use them as their own slave labor force.
First Page 2 3 ... 94 95 96 ... 1375 1376 1377