Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 714 715 716 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 07:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
I'll take the bait. Maybe the church believes that homosexual couples aren't the preferred suit to parenthood.

Why are they not allowed to think that and practice business according to their beliefs?

Because if they take government funding and licensing they need to practice within the established parameters of law and public policy.

They're free not to take that licensing or funding.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 07:26:53
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

Or...infertile !

Or intentionally sterilized.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 07:28:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Also not wanting them is not a sign of intelligence, it's a lifechoice and nothing more.

It's hard to say this without sounding arrogant as ***, but I promise it's not my intent.

There are many, many studies that show as intelligence increases, the number of and desire for children decreases. It's not a universal truth, but there's a strong correlation, and while correlation != causation, there's more than a simple coincidental link there.

Then again, as intelligence rises, so do things like depression, anxiety, and other not-so-fun things.

And I'd say there's interplay among all those factors and more.

Edit: Though I will say that article strikes me as fluff and is sort of a roundabout self-pat on the back to parents in the guise of approving of people who don't have kids, but that could be my own hyper-critical interpretation.
By Jetackuu 2015-06-30 07:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Need more infrastructure spending.

Obama gave the last trillion marked for it to his union buddies and needs more?

Odin.Jassik said: »

Understatement of the century.
Indeed.

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Pray for a catastrophic bridge collapse so the politicians fall on themselves to pass an infrastructure package.

You've got roughly the same chance as making it rain!

Well, there's many ways a bridge can collapse sir.

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Need more infrastructure spending.

Highway Trust expires in just over 30 days, Congress has passed a short term extension 33 times already, but it looks like the Democrats are actually going to make the GOP come up with a long term plan. But you know McConnell is going to take us right up the edge of the cliff anyways.
Yeah, not going to hold my breathe.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 09:13:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
We knew this was coming Polygamy Now: I love the smell of my multiple wives in the morning !

TLDR: Slippery slope argument.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/gay-marriage-decision-polygamy-119469.html?ml=po#.VZGyI0aLVQI

I can't wait to see the internet battles that ensue as this issue comes more into focus.
Rest easy Ravel, I'm told by pleebo and the rest that any talk of polygamy is utterly preposterous.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Still waiting on the "who cares" aspect of polygamy.

My only concern is properly handling them in the legal/tax system.

It might be rough at first, but if they can figure out how to tax me on six different kids of savings and investments, the principal and interest of my loans separately, and the various portions paid to different municipalities, they can figure this out too.

I do think Pleebs is a bit off the mark in saying it's not an issue.

I just don't see why anyone gives a ***.

But I never understood why people gave a ***about homosexual marriages, either.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 09:20:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care about marriage be it gay straight or miscellaneous !
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By fonewear 2015-06-30 09:26:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
Doubt polygamy will ever become an issue, divorce are so expensive I can't imagine having to divorce multiple wives at the same time.

If you haven't been divorced multiple times that means you gave up on love !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:26:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't care about marriage be it gay straight or miscellaneous !

I think people have a right to be married to people they love.

Or that they want as a trophy while they bang other people anyhow.

Or want at their money when the person dies.

Whatever. Because see, here's the thing. SCOTUS didn't redefine marriage.

Marriage is defined by each and every individual couple except for tax and legal purposes. And some people get married (and even divorced), just for tax and legal purposes. No one bats an eye.

So who. the ***. cares.

In my eyes, two gay people who love each other are far more valid in marriage than the 50%+ of people who get divorced/re-married year, after year, after year.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 09:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
I'll take the bait. Maybe the church believes that homosexual couples aren't the preferred suit to parenthood.

Why are they not allowed to think that and practice business according to their beliefs?

Because if they take government funding and licensing they need to practice within the established parameters of law and public policy.

They're free not to take that licensing or funding.

So we'd rather not have kids being adopted?
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:28:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather a morally bankrupt organization affiliated with a hotbed of child diddlers not be handling adoptions. ^^;
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 09:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Adopting a child what a crazy idea ! Who would want to give a child a chance at a stable life.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:29:54
Link | Quote | Reply

An addendum to the polygamy/same-sex marriage thing:

I keep waiting for Fry's prophesized lesbian coven to move in across the street. Hopefully with a penchant for leaving their blinds open.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 09:38:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd rather a morally bankrupt organization affiliated with a hotbed of child diddlers not be handling adoptions. ^^;

Far more child diddlers and pervs teaching our kids in schools, than there are in the catholic church bro, but you've got no problem with keeping the public money flowing to them.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:39:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Far more child diddlers and pervs teaching our kids in schools, than there are in the catholic church bro, but you've got no problem with keeping the public money flowing to them.

Society as a whole, really. But I think you drastically underestimate the problems in the Catholic church, "dudebro".

At least when they're caught in schools they're prosecuted. Not just "asked to retire" to some cushy priest retreat.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 09:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Society as a whole, really. But I think you drastically underestimate the problems in the Catholic church, "dudebro".

At least when they're caught in schools they're prosecuted. Not just "asked to retire" to some cushy priest retreat.

You just don't like the catholic church, and you see no problem in passing laws to isolate and attack them.

You could at least be honest about it.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 09:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't like the Catholic church either but I'm not on some crusade to stop them.

Last I checked we have freedom of religion. It's a new concept but it works.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:54:21
Link | Quote | Reply

You just don't like the catholic church, and you see no problem in passing laws to isolate and attack them.

Yeah. It's not like there's no documented proof of ongoing cover-ups, mishandlings, and straight-up lies about the massive issue of Catholic priests abusing children.

It's not like I could possibly have a personal connection to the issue, though thankfully not direct first-person.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Freedom of religion was a red herring.

It's just people protesting to protest.

See what Mil posted yesterday that Nausi ignored, as far as I can see, though I didn't entirely backread.
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, honesty is the last thing you've ever been interested in.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 09:56:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Freedom of religion was a red herring.

It's just people protesting to protest.

See what Mil posted yesterday that Nausi ignored, as far as I can see, though I didn't entirely backread.

I didn't read I just assumed it was anti religion cause 99.9% of the people on here are anti religion.

The only discussions about religion on here are "religion is bad mmkay don't due religion !
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 09:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't read I just assumed it was anti religion cause 99.9% of the people on here are anti religion.

It was saying that the article Nausi originally posted was in contradiction with other publically-filed/stated documents by the same organization.

If you actually care you can go back and read. :p
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 10:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

No Gay Marriage? Tax that church!

Here it comes!

By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 10:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You repeatedly ignore it.

Why shouldn't churches be taxed?

Not just within context of gay marriages; I mean in the absolute sense. Tax them for every cent you'd tax a regular business for. Because that's exactly what they are.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 10:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You repeatedly ignore it.

Why shouldn't churches be taxed?

Why do they deserve tax exempt status?

People should be FREE to practice their religion.

Free, as in wholly allowed without hindrance or tax imposed on them by their government.

Do you even first amendment bro? I mean do you understand that a financial tax is a way to prohibit a particular activity, and that prohibiting an activity doesn't really make it "free".
By Ramyrez 2015-06-30 10:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

People are free to practice their religion.

It isn't imposed upon them, it's imposed upon the organization benefiting from their free practice of religion.

Since I don't believe in religion, and it's my right to do not, will the government absolve me of property tax, since my home is where I choose to not practice?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 10:10:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What is this even about ? You want churches to pay taxes why ?
Administrator
Server: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-06-30 10:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The next person that says "bro" gets topic banned. Jesus, that ***is painful to read.

[+]
By fonewear 2015-06-30 10:11:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Drama Torama said: »
The next person that says "bro" gets topic banned. Jesus, that ***is painful to read.

You are doing it wrong you aren't supposed to read anything !
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 714 715 716 ... 1375 1376 1377