Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 613 614 615 ... 1375 1376 1377
By Ramyrez 2015-05-28 14:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Sure, they could offer their longer-term employees better benefits (they do, actually), but hey, anything to go against corporations, right?

Misleading. They phased out new full-time positions a long time ago. Sure they've grandfathered in some lifers, but they will not add any more at the associate level unless for some reason they absolutely have to do so.

None of those benefits are available to anyone who isn't full time beyond health care, and health care at $18.40/pay? That basically says you'll just go $50k into debt if you suffer a catastrophe, not $6M.

Which to an hourly wage slave is practically no difference, it's sure-fire bankruptcy either way, most likely. The vision and dental aren't even covered to a point where it's reasonable to carry them, if they're even available. You're better off paying out of pocket.
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-28 14:08:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Amazon recently ran into trouble for appalling working conditions in their warehouses. Stuff like denying breaks, forcing people to work in inadequate weather, threatening to lose your job even if you're injured/sick etc.
*Googles it* Only sources I see from this is from Mother Jones, Gawker, and Salon, 3 media outlets that are as anti-corporation as Ramy is. I did find an article from Business Insider, but they referenced the 3 sources above. It did go beyond it and analyzed (holy crap, an article that actually did research and analyzed the situation?) why such the negativity, but you will probably ignore it.

Here is another article that you would probably have a field day just on the title alone, but will ignore it when you actually read the article itself.

So basically WalMart. Go look up Walmart or something. Convince me you're a rational actor who can do more than parrot ideology.
Obviously you love using Walmart as the go-to corporate punching bag for anything against corporations.

But let's go further into this: What do you expect to pay people, both in wages and benefits, when the average retention rate is less than 6 months for no-skilled labor? When the average retention expectancy is less than a year?

Sure, they could offer their longer-term employees better benefits (they do, actually), but hey, anything to go against corporations, right?
https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=26208
Quote:
AVENEL, N.J. – On Dec. 4, 2013, temporary worker Ronald Smith died from injuries sustained after he was caught in between a conveyor system and crushed while performing sorting operations at an Amazon fulfillment center in Avenel. Following an investigation initiated in response to the fatality, the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration has cited five companies for serious violations, including the contractor responsible for operating the facility, and four temporary staffing agencies.
*edit* the above apparently isn't own/run by Amazon.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-09-23/business/ct-biz-0923-bf-amazon-heat-20110923_1_heat-stress-management-plan-osha-work-in-excessive-heat
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-28 14:18:11
Link | Quote | Reply

First off the bat: You are seriously going to bring up a case on anti-corporate intelligence theft?

Let's look at it another way: People are suing these companies for agreeing to not steal each other's employees. How is that screwing them over again? What is the harm again? Oh wait, it's for the benefit of the corporations, so I guess in your mind it's automatically bad for the employees, even though they have no effect on them at all.

And? Can you find something more about this? Like, a full article or the actual lawsuit? Going by 2 paragraphs, even vague as they are, isn't exactly proving anything.

Again, can you show us the lawsuit in question? I mean, a state who's heavily into unions upheld a case where only effected a few stores, at most?

Again, you have to elaborate more than that.

So, most of your links are on misclassifications of exempt employees. Not exactly the "shitty conditions" I was referring to, but anything to make a case, right? I mean, seriously, you are grasping at anything you can get a hold of.

Quote:
Let's not get into placing entries into employee handbooks regarding discussion or disclosure of compensation or wages.

Tell us why that is bad.

Good, now find us something where a company was completely shut down because of "shitty workplace conditions" Don't worry, we have all century.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-28 14:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
I, for one, was surprised osha found any workplaces to scrutinize...
That's the database of every single complaint they ever receive.

1244 complaints for the entire year for the entire country actually shows that (gasp!) workplace conditions aren't as bad as people like to allude to.
By Ramyrez 2015-05-28 14:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is another article that you would probably have a field day just on the title alone, but will ignore it when you actually read the article itself.

All that article did was show me how *** shitty it is working for Amazon. Who the *** cares how much money you make if you're *** miserable and stressed as hell?

Amazon Worker Issues Mount Amid Labor Department Scrutiny

Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses Threaten To Ruin The Company's Image

Is Amazon a new bad Apple?

Amazon warehouse jobs push workers to physical limit

Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses Threaten To Ruin The Company's Image

...I think you're being deliberately bad at Google. This ***is way easy to find.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-28 14:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Misleading. They phased out new full-time positions a long time ago. Sure they've grandfathered in some lifers, but they will not add any more at the associate level unless for some reason they absolutely have to do so.
Again, they are not adding long-term positions because there are no long-term positions needed. Especially in a company who's turnover rate is atrocious...
By Ramyrez 2015-05-28 14:24:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Especially in a company who's turnover rate is atrocious...

You do understand that turnover rate is fueled by their own hiring and compensation practices, right?

If you create positions people will only keep as long as they absolutely have to, of course people aren't going to stay in them.

There was a time in this country where working as a salesperson was a perfectly valid position for a respectable person to have.

Now with the big box stores people expect the same level of service from their salespeople that they used to get from a lifelong salesman invested in his work, but they want it from a wage slave who has as much training as you can pack into a 5 minute training video on a product, if they product was bought on a large enough scale by the company to warrant it.

Otherwise they'll read the tag to you that you can already read for yourself, because the company won't invest in its work force.

Hurts customers. Hurts employees. Profits the bigwigs.

But the bottom line is there, because people need to shop somewhere, so it all goes on and on.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-28 14:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do you think turnover rates are that high? Is it because it's a great place to work?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-28 14:31:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so, any followups to that article? This article is a year old, and I highly doubt that the investigations are still open. So, how did it end for Amazon?

I already posted that article. Seriously.

When you get passed the fluff (serious, Neo-Nazi guards? Is that the best they can come up with?), you will find that the article doesn't have much to it.

Wow, so, working is bad now. Just having this article as "evidence" shows how much you are willing to grasp any anything anti-corporation as you can without actually reading the article in question...

News flash! Workers themselves voted down the union. Somehow, this is Amazon's fault.

Quote:
...I think you're being deliberately bad at Google. This ***is way easy to find.
I honestly think you didn't even bother reading the articles themselves.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-28 14:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

1244 complaints for the entire year for the entire country actually shows that (gasp!) workplace conditions aren't as bad as people like to allude to.

you asked them to show you the evidence. and then you acted surprised when they provided it. and now it somehow doesn't meet some imaginary criteria that you just made up. and then here comes the name calling.....

get a new routine flying kingnoobie brothers, this one is boring as ***smears
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-28 14:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

First off the bat: You are seriously going to bring up a case on anti-corporate intelligence theft?

Let's look at it another way: People are suing these companies for agreeing to not steal each other's employees. How is that screwing them over again? What is the harm again? Oh wait, it's for the benefit of the corporations, so I guess in your mind it's automatically bad for the employees, even though they have no effect on them at all.
It artificially deflates demand for the employees? Are you seriously attempting to argue that colluding to not to try to hire each other's employees doesn't impact the salaries those employees could demand?
I mean, imagine if accounting firms and banks did the same thing. I'm sure you would be pleased.

And? Can you find something more about this? Like, a full article or the actual lawsuit? Going by 2 paragraphs, even vague as they are, isn't exactly proving anything.
Apparently it is paywalled now; Ronald Reed v. Starbucks Coffee Co., case number 09-cv-60073

Again, can you show us the lawsuit in question? I mean, a state who's heavily into unions upheld a case where only effected a few stores, at most?
Braun v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., et al., March 2002 Term, No. 3127 and Hummel v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. et al., August 2004 Term, No. 3757
Ok, this is getting old. It's also right there.
Gerlach v. Wells Fargo & Co

So, most of your links are on misclassifications of exempt employees. Not exactly the "shitty conditions" I was referring to, but anything to make a case, right? I mean, seriously, you are grasping at anything you can get a hold of.
?
Give examples of companies screwing people over.
Don't blame me when you get what you ask for. But here you go:
http://www.publicintegrity.org/2012/12/21/11945/even-after-workplace-deaths-companies-avoid-osha-penalties

Quote:
Let's not get into placing entries into employee handbooks regarding discussion or disclosure of compensation or wages.

Tell us why that is bad.
It's against federal law (NRLA)?

Good, now find us something where a company was completely shut down because of "shitty workplace conditions" Don't worry, we have all century.
Why? That's really not what you asked for. But here you go:
http://wqad.com/2014/10/10/galva-pet-food-company-closing-its-doors/

I said it was a non-thorough search, as it doesn't allow a global wildcard. As much as I'd love to write a script to get and scrape for all 52 combinations and then reduce the results, I'd rather not.
Example: %c gives you 5467 results (which likely overlaps with %A)
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-28 14:52:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't believe you're defending this....

Anti-competition agreements are the absolute opposite of a free market system.

Yeah, not getting recruited by another company would have no effect on an employee... Weren't you recruited by a new company recently?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-28 15:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

needs more random religion.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-05-28 15:29:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe some Christian conservative hip-hop will help lighten the mood here:

YouTube Video Placeholder

Kudos if you can make it through the entire thing.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 15:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

Ask and ye shall receive.

5 Ways Atheists Argue Their Cause (That Aren't Helping)

Warning: It's a Cracked article, so keep that in mind. It's written by an atheist, though, so nobody can claim anti-atheist bias. People are more content to bash each other's viewpoints/beliefs, so it's nice to see them critique their own side from time to time.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-05-28 15:44:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Maybe some Christian conservative hip-hop will help lighten the mood here

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 15:45:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I feel your pain. I couldn't even muster the courage to press play.
 Bahamut.Omael
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-05-28 15:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I feel your pain. I couldn't even muster the courage to press play.

I sat through the whole thing. I tell you, this hippy-hop music is getting out of hand.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-05-28 15:48:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Warning: It's a Cracked article, so keep that in mind. It's written by an atheist, though, so nobody can claim anti-atheist bias. People are more content to bash each other's viewpoints/beliefs, so it's nice to see them critique their own side from time to time.

Commentary:

-Hitchens was always a smug ***, that was his schtick. Zinging people, riling people up and writing alot of ***. The guy was brilliant in many ways but I wouldn't go about emulating the guy. Having a British accent is always +2 CHR as well.

He also ruffled his 'allies' feathers with his commentary, especially his pro-war Iraq stance. That was part of the Hitchens charm though. He didn't want you to follow him, it just so happened you shared some opinions with him.

(Stop looking for people to follow. Even a seasoned writer like Hitchens can/should be pulled apart.)

Further, I burst out laughing when The Amazing Atheist gets name dropped. I've watched most of his old work and while once upon a time he was solely a neckbeard riling up Christians by talking about Atheism, the guys always been an attention ***. Shilling for money today, claiming to be working on big projects that never turn out tomorrow.

(That's why he moved on to feminism, it's where the $$$$ and attention is.)
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-28 15:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like the author read part of the MGTOW thread.
Quote:
the same "vagina emotions make chicks a bunch of crazy broads" trap as your friend who got into the pick-up community and reeks like an Axe factory. You can't claim to be a proponent of science and reasonable thinking, only to regress to hacky sitcom stereotypes about women being humorless harpies who bring sexual assault upon themselves.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-28 15:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

I think it would be hilarious if a Cracked writer lurked in the P&R threads for writing material.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 16:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
Again, they are too busy with Bush and Paul. Because they make better articles advertising revenue.

While I don't disagree with your assessment, I will say it's interesting that someone who is all about making as much money as possible otherwise by whatever means are deemed legal is critical of the media for doing just that.

Just an observation, not an attack. I've no interest in a "yo mama" fight today.
I didn't say that.

I'm saying that people are buying into the fluff (see: Chanti, Jet, Pleebo, Vic) because it looks good to them, instead of either reading between the lines or discovering that what they are being fed is kibble just to produce more revenue for the media outlets because they are such gullible kids.

Although, I will admit that conservative media outlets (aka Fox News) does exactly the same thing. That's why I don't use either sides arguments without looking at both sides.

Scott Walker doesn't have much against him, and the media knows that, that's why you see (almost) absolutely no mention of him at all. He is the best candidate for the GOP, but you cannot even see it because the media is all about Bush and Paul.

I get my news from multiple sources, and can digest it myself just fine.

Stop bringing me (and others) up in arguments I'm (they're) not a part of.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-28 16:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

I think it would be hilarious if a Cracked writer lurked in the P&R threads for writing material.

I thought writing on here is the way to get a job at Cracked !
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2015-05-28 17:05:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Just take it as the weird compliment you never asked for or really wanted.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 17:06:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Amazon recently ran into trouble for appalling working conditions in their warehouses. Stuff like denying breaks, forcing people to work in inadequate weather, threatening to lose your job even if you're injured/sick etc.

So basically WalMart. Go look up Walmart or something. Convince me you're a rational actor who can do more than parrot ideology.
That's part for the course in VA.
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 17:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Just take it as the weird compliment you never asked for or really wanted.
Need this stack of forms submitted in triplicate for review first.

Then call back in 10-12 weeks.
By fonewear 2015-05-28 17:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

How am I not just hearing about this now ?

I don't feel like creating an entire thread but this is important.

Feminist porn star: Annie Sprinkle (may cause you to lose hope in humanity)

Basically the idea of feminist porn scares me. I don't want to live in a world where porn appeals to women !

Feminist porn : Mindless fun or threat to the very fabric of our being ? Discuss !
By Jetackuu 2015-05-28 17:34:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Foneware, pls. Spoiler that.

edit: thank you
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-28 17:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Even in porn the feminist are how shall I put it less than sexually appealing !

Once again it proves that feminist have ruined a perfectly good thing in porn. I can't imagine anyone but a feminist ruining something so simple and pure !
By fonewear 2015-05-28 17:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Done

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/26/vatican-ireland-gay-marriage-referendum-vote-defeat-for-humanity

TLDR Vatican is not for gay marriage what a shock !
First Page 2 3 ... 613 614 615 ... 1375 1376 1377