Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 358 359 360 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 16:30:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Verda said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
The worship of the Founders is amazing here.

Even early American politics was rife with political slander, patronage, duels, butting heads and a question that wouldn't be answered until the Civil War. But if you were to believe this romantic view of early America you'd think everyone was living in bliss. Thr sweet Republic ruined by partisan politics and money.

You know, beside native massacres, slavery, disease, famine and lawlessness.

America isn't going back to the 'good old days'. Not as a global superpower exercising imperial powers. Not without going far down the rung. Isolationism? There goes your trade. Y'all ready for this? *insert music here*

But hey, if you want to recreate America circa 1785 I'm sure we can clear some land for the commune.

Most people were and still are instilled with this romanticism in school. It's called US History class. There has been some effort made to make it history more than patriotic brain wash material, but it's slow progress. Most classes tend to only go over the good stuff, and the issues and how we overcame them. Instilling you with a positive disposition of your country which can be useful I suppose but it isn't until long after you get out of school most kids learn that for instance Ben Franklin whored around, all the founding fathers employed slaves, and lots of other stuff you never let on. When they finally start teaching Abe Lincoln was actually homosexual, and had homosexual relations that will be the day. And that he even as the great emancipator had a very dim view of African Americans and thought they should be given their own country because they can't compete on an intellectual level with white folk.
Well, of course they are going to teach history classes to make the US government look good and put it in a positive light.

Who wants to create a bunch of anarchists?
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-03-04 16:38:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The worship of the Founders is amazing here.

Even early American politics was rife with political slander, patronage, duels, butting heads and a question that wouldn't be answered until the Civil War. But if you were to believe this romantic view of early America you'd think everyone was living in bliss. Thr sweet Republic ruined by partisan politics and money.

You know, beside native massacres, slavery, disease, famine and lawlessness.

America isn't going back to the 'good old days'. Not as a global superpower exercising imperial powers. Not without going far down the rung. Isolationism? There goes your trade. Y'all ready for this? *insert music here*

But hey, if you want to recreate America circa 1785 I'm sure we can clear some land for the commune.

Most people were and still are instilled with this romanticism in school. It's called US History class. There has been some effort made to make it history more than patriotic brain wash material, but it's slow progress. Most classes tend to only go over the good stuff, and the issues and how we overcame them. Instilling you with a positive disposition of your country which can be useful I suppose but it isn't until long after you get out of school most kids learn that for instance Ben Franklin whored around, all the founding fathers employed slaves, and lots of other stuff you never let on. When they finally start teaching Abe Lincoln was actually homosexual, and had homosexual relations that will be the day. And that he even as the great emancipator had a very dim view of African Americans and thought they should be given their own country because they can't compete on an intellectual level with white folk.

well said and you will never hear that from republicans or democrats. People fail to realize political parties succeed in one thing and that is dividing free and independent people. It will take the people to wake up to stop voting for these two parties to become free and independent as one people under one flag who value independent ideals and honor the constitution we was founded on. I am not preaching divide i preach to unite. all within the 50 states who are constitutional citizens are American a independent nation that makes its own laws and follows its citizens choice they are nothing else.
By fonewear 2015-03-04 16:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Due to budget cuts History has been replaced with gym.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2015-03-04 16:51:49
Link | Quote | Reply

If you think your economic policies and ideas about how a country should be run are solid then it's real simple: Run a game of Europa Universalis, Civilization or Total War.

I got my 4 stars as an armchair general using peasants as fodder to soften up my opponent before hammering the *** outta them with a calvary charge. 2000 dead peasants? Ah well. Also, always execute nobles. Always.

We'll see how well that small government works when Montezuma is an aggressive ***, Napoleon has once again betrayed you diplomatically and your nation is bankrupt because of poor financial decisions. Mercantilism? There's a reason that fell out of favor.

Edit: How do I forget Age of Empires?! Crusader Kings is also pretty good but I never played it.

I see you follow in the footsteps of all the great armies of history. The well trained well equipped and often noble people always always hung in the back. There are many battles they wouldn't even fight. The peasants would be enlisted, use modified farm tools, and fight. Often without any armor whatsoever. Their main purpose was to run the enemy out of arrows, not even kidding. Absorb charges, and flanks, and wear the enemy down. It wasn't an issue how many peasants died. They'd often break rank however, and the back line nobles were there to make sure they didn't more than anything. Give people an inch of morality they will take a mile.

Actually I learned from Magneto who so eloquently stated:

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-04 16:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

We still discussing prison sex or have we moved on to the Constitution ?

I'm pretty sure William Howard Taft was gay.

No clue what this is but 11 Presidents might be gay !

http://www.11points.com/News-Politics/11_US_Presidents_Who_Might%27ve_Been_Gay

Barack Obama. - I never thought it was a possibility until I saw the tabloid cover pictured to the right. Although, honestly, if I opened that up in the grocery store checkout line, I probably would've been more drawn to the story about the "Rampaging Chimp Tragedy." That sounds nuts.

Still, tabloid speculation and being one of the most pro-gay rights presidents ever isn't enough to push him any higher on the list than last.

John F. Kennedy - We all know he took down more women than the math portion of the SAT (Kidding! I'm kidding! Stereotypes hurt!) -- which suggests he wasn't gay. That being said, a book called Jack and Lem dug deep into his lifelong friendship with a gay man named Lem Billings... and at least threw some iffiness into the mix. The author of the book, David Pitts, says he concluded JFK and Lem never got physically intimate with each other... but were definitely emotionally intimate.

"I'm firmly convinced after working on this book that John Kennedy's sexual interests were in women. We don't need much evidence of that, the evidence is all over the place. But his strongest emotional attachments were to men, and principally, to Lem. We don't have a word for that, right? Somebody who prefers the opposite gender for sexuality, and the same gender for deep, emotional attachments?"

In other words, JFK subscribes to the Homer Simpson philosophy on gender -- Marge: "He prefers the company of men." Homer: "Who doesn't?"

Martin Van Buren - Anytime a president is single when he's in office (which has barely happened), whispers start up. And, sure, Van Buren was single because his wife died of tuberculosis at age 35, a few years before he was elected. But he never remarried. So there's always been a mild murmur. But we're talking, like, a Ryan Seacrest murmur, not an Anderson Cooper murmur.

No ex-president parties harder.
Bill Clinton - I'm just saying: You find yourself involved in enough threesome, foursomes, ninesomes and dodecasomes and eventually you're going to cross swords with someone.

Thomas Jefferson - There was a sarcastic New Yorker write-up of why Thomas Jefferson might've been gay last year. He says he used Toni Morrison standards (filling "every trope"). Me-ow.

Anyway, some highlights of that article include: He was America's first foodie, he imported fine exotic foods, but always stayed skinny... he obsessively decorated and chose furniture for Monticello... he never remarried after his wife died at age 39... he loved Paris... he seems to have dyed his hair... he had a lisp... and he loved birdwatching.

Johnson and Jenkins together outside the Capitol.
Lyndon Johnson - Many historians attribute a big portion of LBJ's political success to a man named Walter Jenkins, who served as his top and closest aide from 1939 (when Johnson was in Congress) until a month before the 1964 presidential election.

Jenkins resigned in October of 1964 when he was caught with a young man in a YMCA bathroom. (I don't remember "presidential aide" being one of the Village People costumes, but they had enough guys come and go that it may've slipped in.)

Since the man who was closest to LBJ for 25 years turned out to be gay on the down low (he had a wife and six kids; they separated a few years after the scandal) -- speculation surfaced that maybe there was something between Johnson and Jenkins.

His presidential opponent, Barry Goldwater, even had bumper stickers made that read "All the way with LBJ, but don't go near the YMCA."

Dwight Eisenhower - If the past ten years have taught us anything, it's the louder a politician rallies against gay rights, the more likely he is to wind up getting caught singing "Glory, Glory Hole-allujah." (YES! YES! YES! Wordplay rules! Don't give me that look. I worked for like 20 minutes on a place to organically work in that pun.)

In 1953, Eisenhower signed Executive Order 10450, which classified gays and lesbians as potential national security threats and banned them from working for the government. Yet another repulsive part of the McCarthy era. And with that, Eisenhower fills my "the lady doth protest too much" slot on this list.

George Washington - Historians say he always seemed to value his bonds with men -- whether during war or in politics -- than he did with his wife. Which leads directly to the speculation.

It's widely believed his marriage to Martha was at least somewhat motivated by her money -- she was loaded from a previous husband. And in a letter to a friend, he wrote that they didn't have "much fire between the sheets." They didn't have any children (possibly because he was sterile... OR POSSIBLY NOT). See, I'm just like Glenn Beck. I ask questions.

Unbelievable mutton chops. Truly spectacular.
Chester A. Arthur - People rarely talk about Chester A. Arthur's sexuality because people rarely talk about Chester A. Arthur. He is to presidents what Ray Jackson was to Michigan's Fab Five. But I researched every single president for this list -- and when people do get around to jawing on Chester A., the homosexual thing keeps popping up.

It generally centers on three things. One: His gorgeous mutton chops. Two: His high-culture leanings (good food, good wine, fancy clothes, exceptional dance moves). And three: He was a very lazy president, so he must've been busy getting it on with dudes.

Abraham Lincoln - There's a ton of talk about Lincoln's potential homosexuality. Most of it centers on his relationship with a man named Joshua Speed. Lincoln and Speed spent four years living together and sharing a small bed -- and therein lies the "silver bullet" of the speculation.

I'm not as sold on that. From what I can tell, that's what roommates did at the time because of financial, space, and even warmth considerations. I'm more swayed by Lincoln's horrible choice for a wife. Mary Todd wasn't attractive. She's believed to have had serious psychological problems. She beat him. He was miserable in the marriage. Could he have picked her because she came from a high-class, wealthy, connected family and that was his primary concern in a woman -- not the love/sex/"You complete me" nonsense?

James Buchanan - So the speculation on the 10 presidents listed until now has been anywhere from syllogistic at best to flat-out jokes at worst. This one's a bit different. If any U.S. president is recognized as probably gay, it's Buchanan.

Buchanan was the only president who was never married. He lived with a man -- Senator William Rufus King from Alabama -- for years. Andrew Jackson allegedly referred to them as "Miss Nancy" and "Aunt Fancy". When King left for a trip to France, Buchanan told a friend: "I am now solitary and alone. I have gone a-wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any one of them." He was also recognized as being uptight and gossipy -- kind of like Mitchell on "Modern Family".

And that's basically the entirety of the evidence. Is it semi-convincing? Sure. Is it enough to get him cast in the token slot on the "Real World", make him innately able to recite the entire screenplay of "Mean Girls", or ensure he knew what Missoni was before it led to stampedes at Target a few days ago? Let the debates rage on.
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-03-04 16:57:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
his lack of understanding of the IRC
You mean IRS, right? I've never heard IRC refer to anything except Internet Relay Chat, which shows how old I am.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 16:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
You mean IRS, right? I've never heard IRC refer to anything except Internet Relay Chat, which shows how old I am.
Internal Revenue Code.

IRS is just an agency that is supposed to interpret the IRC. Although, Tax Courts do that job for them.

The IRC is the law, IRS are just the "police officers" of that specific portion of the law.

Which shows since he gave you a [+]. Probably was thinking about IRS.
By fonewear 2015-03-04 17:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember ICQ !

My favorite is the AOL free internet hours.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 17:02:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, of course they are going to teach history classes to make the US government look good and put it in a positive light.

Who wants to create a bunch of anarchists?

While that made me laugh and I agree, the problem isn't that they show the history with a positive outlook, it's that they do it by bending the truth by omitting lots of bad things. Then your view isn't accurate and that can be dangerous.

American History shouldn't be doctored. It doesn't have to be to have a positive outlook on it, it already is a pretty incredible story.
It's not so much as bending the truth, it's that they don't teach every single aspect and event in general US history class.

If they did, we wouldn't know anything beyond the industrial revolution.

Remember, we are talking about a subject that is 395 years in the making.
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-03-04 17:07:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Internal Revenue Code.

IRS is just an agency that is supposed to interpret the IRC. Although, Tax Courts do that job for them.

The IRC is the law, IRS are just the "police officers" of that specific portion of the law.
Ah, didn't know the tax code was actually called the Internal Revenue Code. I'm actually used to the federal government not having very consistent naming strategies. Thanks for the clarification.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 17:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I kindof feel sorry for the people who flower-head gives a [+] on.

It not only weakens their argument, but it also semi-associates them with him....
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 17:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Internal Revenue Code.

Ah, didn't know the tax code was actually called the Internal Revenue Code. I'm actually used to the federal government not having very consistent naming strategies. Thanks for the clarification.
No problem.

Just a head's up, the UCC is the Uniform Commercial Code. It's the interstate laws and regulations associated with businesses (mainly).

The federal government is pretty static on their acronyms, I have found out.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-03-04 17:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Change starts with our bills.

A feminist group wants to remove the image of Andrew Jackson from the $20 bill and replace it with a picture of one of the many illustrious women from American history.

U.S. banknotes have not changed much since the Great Depression. They feature white men — predominantly but not exclusively presidents — who played a pivotal role in the founding or shaping of our nation.

The nonprofit Women On 20s thinks the centennial of women’s suffrage, 2020, would be the perfect opportunity to add women, such as civil rights activist Rosa Parks or former first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, to the pantheon of American heroes on our currency.

“Many women contribute to our society, philosophy and culture,” group founder Barbara Ortiz Howard said in an interview with Yahoo News. “It’s an opportunity to have a very rich history lesson for everyone.”

Plenty of women, the group argues, deserve to be immortalized on our money more than our seventh president, Andrew Jackson, whose Indian Removal Act of 1830 resulted in the deaths of thousands of Native Americans on the Trail of Tears.

Furthermore, Jackson opposed central banking and paper currency in general, preferring to stick with gold and silver, which makes his spot on the $20 bill somewhat ironic.
‘Women On 20s’ wants female hero to replace Andrew Jackson on currency
By fonewear 2015-03-04 17:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

A feminist group wants...yea I'm going to have to stop reading right there...

Women on currency...more like women spending man's currency !

What's next I tells ya they are going to want the right to vote !
By fonewear 2015-03-04 17:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

On the other hand:

NSFW
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-03-04 17:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure why, but Fone's posts remind me of Dave from Borderlands 2.

"Hey Karima -- you know what’s even better than havin’ a working shield? NOT being a woman."
"Karima, you cain’t make us no techy shieldy thing -- you’s a WOMAN! Now, if the town needed someone to make us a big ol’ sandwich, THEN we’d call you."
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 17:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Quote:
Change starts with our bills.

A feminist group wants to remove the image of Andrew Jackson from the $20 bill and replace it with a picture of one of the many illustrious women from American history.

U.S. banknotes have not changed much since the Great Depression. They feature white men — predominantly but not exclusively presidents — who played a pivotal role in the founding or shaping of our nation.

The nonprofit Women On 20s thinks the centennial of women’s suffrage, 2020, would be the perfect opportunity to add women, such as civil rights activist Rosa Parks or former first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, to the pantheon of American heroes on our currency.

“Many women contribute to our society, philosophy and culture,” group founder Barbara Ortiz Howard said in an interview with Yahoo News. “It’s an opportunity to have a very rich history lesson for everyone.”

Plenty of women, the group argues, deserve to be immortalized on our money more than our seventh president, Andrew Jackson, whose Indian Removal Act of 1830 resulted in the deaths of thousands of Native Americans on the Trail of Tears.

Furthermore, Jackson opposed central banking and paper currency in general, preferring to stick with gold and silver, which makes his spot on the $20 bill somewhat ironic.
‘Women On 20s’ wants female hero to replace Andrew Jackson on currency
You know that Andrew Jackson is only on the $20 as a joke, right?

On a side note, I have a couple of $10,000, Salmon Chase bills on hand. Those are very rare, but still legal tender. If the Fed were to receive those, they would destroy it, that's how rare they are.

Those bills aren't as rare as the Andrew Jackson $10k bills though. I only seen one in a photograph.
By fonewear 2015-03-04 17:37:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm the President of the No Girls Allowed tree house club !

I did have a treehouse but that was so long ago I don't remember much of it.

Homer Simpson philosophy on gender -- Marge: "He prefers the company of men." Homer: "Who doesn't?"
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-03-04 17:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I'm not sure why, but Fone's posts remind me of Dave from Borderlands 2.

"Hey Karima -- you know what’s even better than havin’ a working shield? NOT being a woman."
"Karima, you cain’t make us no techy shieldy thing -- you’s a WOMAN! Now, if the town needed someone to make us a big ol’ sandwich, THEN we’d call you."

Whats your favorite thing about Dave?
[+]
By fonewear 2015-03-04 17:47:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I would get tired of a woman in a video game telling me what to do !
By fonewear 2015-03-04 18:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't tempt me with Fallout unless it is Fallout 4 !
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-03-04 18:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Out with the old

In with the new

This is the first step forward to a better brighter and prosperous America. Will you be a founding father or mother in Americas biggest rebirth for restoring the Constitutional Republic?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 18:47:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Missing the point a bit, it's that key points aren't presented, things that are historically significant about say, a founding father's character. It is distorting the truth if you leave out those things. In this case it is a misrepresentation of character.
I don't know. I mean, what information are kids actually given about the founding fathers, besides the one's who become presidents/vice presidents, and the one's who have a significant impact over the American Revolution? We don't even cover all of the signors of the Declaration, nor do we cover any of the other important (but minor) players of the Revolution. There just isn't enough time in the classroom to cover that and other items.

Don't be a victim of association fallacy, educate your brain today!

Only works for people who are actual victims of association. Meaning you. I said I feel sorry for those who are given the [+] by the flower-head.

In his next move, Lordgrim will [+] all of KN's posts and he will have an identity crisis.
Dear lord no!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-03-04 18:49:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Lordgrim said: »
Will you be a founding father or mother in Americas biggest rebirth for restoring the Constitutional Republic?
Tell you what, I'll buy what you are selling as long as you aren't there afterwards.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-03-04 18:58:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Will you be a founding father or mother in Americas biggest rebirth for restoring the Constitutional Republic?
Tell you what, I'll buy what you are selling as long as you aren't there afterwards.
Out with the old

In with the new

This is the first step forward to a better brighter and prosperous America. Will you be a founding father or mother in Americas biggest rebirth for restoring the Constitutional Republic?

That means a lot foolnobody coming from a expatriot like yourself who is ashamed to fly his nations flag. I'm sorry to disappoint you though because I'll be leading this change. i'll remain for a term or perhaps two terms if the american people like the change. if not they can vote in the next best idea. All in the name of a better america.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-03-04 19:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

There were 461 reported cases of “justifiable homicides” last year at the hands of law enforcement. But what constitutes as “justifiable”? And how many deaths at the hands of a cop go unreported? Following the Justice Department’s recent ruling on Ferguson, Jesse Ventura demands that everyone be held accountable for killing someone -- whether they’re a cop or not.

After Ferguson: The Truth Behind “Justifiable Homicides”
First Page 2 3 ... 358 359 360 ... 1375 1376 1377