Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 98 99 100 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 14:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey! Can we talk about the anti-rape nail polish and the ridiculous outrage of it by feminazis?

Did we already cover that? Can we discuss why it's a bad thing for people to come up with this defense?

Nail polish: Anti-rape or anti-woman?
Women continue to be told what they should do or not do to avoid being raped.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 14:44:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Odin.Zicdeh said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Too bad it doesn't trump the fact that conservatives prefer to do nothing about the economy, as seen by their elected officials in Washington. Nice try tho. You guys really suck at labeling.

the stock market is up 81% in the last five years so... somebody is doing something for someone right....

It's because of Obama.

Or do we not get to say any loosely related corresponding events in time are Obama's fault if they could be seen as positive? I forgot the Obama rules again.
Because of Ben Bernanke and (technically) Janet Yellen.

And Quantitative Easing....

Because be prepared to see up to half of the stock market lose it's value almost immediately after the QE gravy train stops running.

Putting a pause on my KN Roleplay session in this thread to point out that I think you prove my point, while also missing my point. Things are hardly as simple as one man, especially in a convoluted wreck like American Politics. So why do we stop digging when bad things happen the moment we hit Obama? (Or Bush, or Clinton, etc)

President is like the CEO of the company, everyone knows him, he talks a lot without saying much of anything, and ultimately he has very little power, despite all the whippiditty blop about executive powers, and somehow the blame always lands on him.

By simplifying issues (Good and Bad) to one variable, we end up with... well, United States Government.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 14:44:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Hey! Can we talk about the anti-rape nail polish and the ridiculous outrage of it by feminazis?

Did we already cover that? Can we discuss why it's a bad thing for people to come up with this defense?

I'm sorta intrigued by this, do you have some kind of link?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 14:45:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Reality is that I can see the degree as I'm typing this, it's framed and hanging on my wall. It doesn't require your belief to validate it. And whether you agree with my assessments or tactics in business is irrelevant, as I'm the one with the business degree and you're an accountant. You're the kind of guy that argues with the mechanic about what's wrong with your car because you don't like his answer, that doesn't make you right, it makes you a dumbass.

Oh c'mon, like you not any microscopic bit of the troll you think he is...

I push a few people's buttons because they invite it or in response, but generally, no, I don't troll for trolling's sake.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Server: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 14:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Better wait for fonewear to post it. Probably hiding in all his HuffPost links.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 14:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »

I seriously don't get the outrage. Rape is not a construct of our modern culture. It's an ugly facet of humanity. Why not embrace the defense mechanism instead of whining because sometimes humans do awful things?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 14:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Putting a pause on my KN Roleplay session in this thread to point out that I think you prove my point, while also missing my point. Things are hardly as simple as one man, especially in a convoluted wreck like American Politics. So why do we stop digging when bad things happen the moment we hit Obama? (Or Bush, or Clinton, etc)
I don't generally blame Obama, just his administration.

President is like the CEO of the company, everyone knows him, he talks a lot without saying much of anything, and ultimately he has very little power, despite all the whippiditty blop about executive powers, and somehow the blame always lands on him.
CEOs have a whole lot more power with the company they are running than you think.

But you are correct, blame generally stops at the top.

By simplifying issues (Good and Bad) to one variable, we end up with... well, United States Government.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 14:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I seriously don't get the outrage. Rape is not a construct of our modern culture. It's an ugly facet of humanity. Why not embrace the defense mechanism instead of whining because sometimes humans do awful things?

So I assume the outrage is that defensive products are being sold instead of focusing on prevention of the assault in the first place?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 14:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

So I assume the outrage is that defensive products are being sold instead of focusing on prevention of the assault in the first place?
Yes it's somehow anti-woman!
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 14:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Condoms are anti-woman because they protect the penis. Anything that is pro-penis is anti-woman. -Rebecca Watson.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 14:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it's somehow anti-woman!

Generally, activists will find something to get upset about on a regular basis even if it's not worth getting upset about. That extends to people who get upset because someone is upset about something stupid. Rape is a touchy subject, so it makes sense that people who identify with victims or are victims themselves attach an elevated level of emotion to the subject.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-02 15:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything that is pro-penis is anti-woman

some of my favorite women have been pro-penis.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 15:00:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean I get that rape sucks. Unwanted sexual advances can certainly be terrifying. But I've never expected a gun company to stop home invasion instead of offering me a way to protect myself from it.

I can't tell you how silly I'd feel calling them "part of the anti-personal property culture".
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-02 15:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Reality is that I can see the degree as I'm typing this.

is it written in the same color crayon as alanabelle's imaginary mensa membership card?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 15:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »
Anything that is pro-penis is anti-woman

some of my favorite women have been pro-penis.

Die Cis-Scum.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 15:03:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Condoms are anti-woman because they protect the penis. Anything that is pro-penis is anti-woman. -Rebecca Watson.
More of the same lunacy! As a man I can most certainly confirm that condoms are very "anti-penis".
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-02 15:04:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Die Cis-Scum.

ok, but I'm gonna do a few things first, if that's cool.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 15:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

is it written in the same color crayon as alanabelle's imaginary mensa membership card?

I do like green crayon, but no.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-09-02 15:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I do like green crayon, but no.

:D
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 15:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

More of the same lunacy! As a man I can most certainly confirm that condoms are very "anti-penis".

Shut up. The Penis only exists as a tool for rape, therefore condoms only exist to protect the penis from being identified by capturing the DNA. Therefore you are cis-scum and have no rights. /imrightbecausefeminism.

Die Cis-Scum.

Your rights end where my feelings begin, which is the observable Universe. Therefore no rights for you.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-09-02 15:09:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Name a city in the US that has minimum wage at $15+/hour. I'm sure you would find one and be completely wrong about it.
It would have been easier to say "No, I don't have evidence to support my claims.".
I'm sure that if you say that most studies show that raising minimum wages will decrease the number of jobs out there as "false cause fallacy" also.

And then demand research on that.
Better but I don't recall that argument being a point of contention. I wouldn't be surprised if a min. wage increase costs a few jobs or labor hours on the outset.

Also, you really need to familiarize yourself with what a fallacy is and isn't.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 15:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
Name a city in the US that has minimum wage at $15+/hour. I'm sure you would find one and be completely wrong about it.
It would have been easier to say "No, I don't have evidence to support my claims.".

So, you couldn't show anywhere that haves $15+/hr minimum wage in the US, and yet demand me to show evidence of what happens to a city's cost of living when minimum wage goes up to $15/hr? Don't you realize that it is impossible to prove what doesn't exist?

Quote:
I'm sure that if you say that most studies show that raising minimum wages will decrease the number of jobs out there as "false cause fallacy" also.

Better but I don't recall that argument being a point of contention. I wouldn't be surprised if a min. wage increase costs a few jobs or labor hours on the outset.

Good, you are learning finally.

Quote:
I'm not the one using fallacy as a cop-out excuse. That's you buddy.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-02 15:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea that a minimum wage increase could increase overall costs by even as much as the wage increase demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding. The only way a wage increase can increase cost more than it's associated weight is if the price is artificially inflated, as labor is less than 100% of the cost. I keep seeing those kinds of doomsday arguments presented in opposition, and it's not that it's specifically bunk, but that it's being offered as a counter-argument instead of the real reasons no to increase minimum wages.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-09-02 15:13:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Shut up. The Penis only exists as a tool for rape, therefore condoms only exist to protect the penis from being identified by capturing the DNA. Therefore you are cis-scum and have no rights. /imrightbecausefeminism.

Die Cis-Scum.

Your rights end where my feelings begin, which is the observable Universe. Therefore no rights for you.
Oh am I a transgender hater too cause I equate the term "cis" with normal?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 15:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Die Cis-Scum.

Oh am I a transgender hater too cause I equate the term "cis" with normal?
Welcome to Bigotry Bingo
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 15:15:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, you really need to familiarize yourself with what a fallacey is and isn't.

Phallus

[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2014-09-02 15:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Therefore no rights for you.

that's fine, I wasn't using them anyway.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-02 15:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

There's too much phallus waving in this thread!
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-02 15:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea that a minimum wage increase could increase overall costs by even as much as the wage increase demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding. The only way a wage increase can increase cost more than it's associated weight is if the price is artificially inflated, as labor is less than 100% of the cost. I keep seeing those kinds of doomsday arguments presented in opposition, and it's not that it's specifically bunk, but that it's being offered as a counter-argument instead of the real reasons no to increase minimum wages.
What, you don't think that, now that there's more money around, and higher costs, that companies aren't going to increase their costs proportionally to the increase in wages? Especially when it is across the board like minimum wage increases?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2014-09-02 15:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Nachos
First Page 2 3 ... 98 99 100 ... 1375 1376 1377