Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 538 539 540 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-05 12:11:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Or are you alluding that cops/prosecutors just randomly pick people off the street and throw them in jail for the fun of it? Because that is what you just said....
Uh, Baltimore says hi?
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 12:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
The government does not keep track of those who are pardoned.

Generally speaking, they don't even apologize. From everything I've read, they treat you exactly like you really were guilty and are being released at the end of a sentence. Including delaying your release based on paperwork.

"Yeah. Falsely imprisoned? Too *** bad, warden's on vacation today. Yeah, we saw on the news your were found innocent, but sorry, Warden Golfypants needs to sign off either way..."
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 12:32:08
Link | Quote | Reply

False convictions occur on a much larger scale than .2%.

There was a topic a few years ago that discussed this.

Some information p.6
So what?

Are we not allowed to have a prison simply because we on some occasions incarcerate innocent people?

EDIT: I mean don't take this to mean that I advocate for false imprisonment, but our current justice system functions better than it ever has in the history of humankind doesn't it?
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-05 12:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
False convictions occur on a much larger scale than .2%.

There was a topic a few years ago that discussed this.

Some information p.6
So what?

Are we not allowed to have a prison simply because we on some occasions incarcerate innocent people?
Are you volunteering?
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-05-05 12:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides, do you honestly think that making drugs legal will help people?
Portugal says hello.

I neither understand nor endorse the use of most psychoactives (caffeine is my lone exception), but the grand experiment in Portugal has been a success. And we have hard science that goes a long way towards explaining why.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 12:35:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Meanwhile in Hope Arkansas:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-05 12:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
when are we going to get smart and burn hope arkansas to the ground?

You're the one with the doomsday devices. Stop being lazy and do it yourself.

/despicable me gru voice

lightbulb!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 12:38:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Portugal says hello.

I neither understand nor endorse the use of most psychoactives (caffeine is my lone exception), but the grand experiment in Portugal has been a success. And we have hard science that goes a long way towards explaining why.

Right legalize drugs and have those who choose to make something of their lives subsidize the comfy existence of those who don't.

"oh hey we need more of your money for free needles and public rehab programs."
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 12:39:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Portugal says hello.

Right legalize drugs and have those who choose to make something of their lives subsidize the comfy existence of those who don't.

"oh hey we need more of your money for free needles and public rehab programs."

Hell with free drugs how about a free Tibet !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 12:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

New front on social justice: Having a loving family is "unfair".

Time to make reading to your kids against the law, cause it gives kids an unfair advantage. How long before this toxic Aussie liberal garbage gets regurgitated over here? How long before they blame it on our disgusting institutional racism?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-05 12:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

So what?

EDIT: I mean don't take this to mean that I advocate for false imprisonment, but our current justice system functions better than it ever has in the h1story of humankind doesn't it?
Why do you think this is true?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 12:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Or you can just come to Serbia and buy pills that you would normally need a prescription for at any pharmacy located on every block and buy the rest of your needs from a mobster and have a few drinks with them like a normal person, lol.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 12:43:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll stick with drinking thank you very much ! It's legal how can it be bad for you !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-05 12:43:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Portugal says hello.

Well part of the problem here is that a lot of advocates of legal drugs just are in it for selfish reasons. Would it work here, though? It might, but I think it's safe to say that Portugal isn't exactly the most fitting control group.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 12:43:50
Link | Quote | Reply

So what?

EDIT: I mean don't take this to mean that I advocate for false imprisonment, but our current justice system functions better than it ever has in the h1story of humankind doesn't it?
Why do you think it isn't?
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-05 12:44:50
Link | Quote | Reply

our current justice system functions better than it ever has in the h1story of humankind doesn't it?

we can certainly pretend that it does!

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-05 12:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to make reading to your kids against the law, cause it gives kids an unfair advantage. How long before this toxic Aussie liberal garbage gets regurgitated over here? How long before they blame it on our disgusting institutional racism?
Huh?

It's a philosophical debate going back to Plato's The Republic

Was Plato a liberal?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-05 12:45:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Surprisingly, it seems that you didn't actually read the article thoroughly.
Quote:
This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion—that perhaps in the interests of levelling the playing field, bedtime stories should also be restricted. In Swift’s mind this is where the evaluation of familial relationship goods goes up a notch.

‘You have to allow parents to engage in bedtime stories activities, in fact we encourage them because those are the kinds of interactions between parents and children that do indeed foster and produce these [desired] familial relationship goods.’

Swift makes it clear that although both elite schooling and bedtime stories might both skew the family game, restricting the former would not interfere with the creation of the special loving bond that families give rise to. Taking the books away is another story.

‘We could prevent elite private schooling without any real hit to healthy family relationships, whereas if we say that you can’t read bedtime stories to your kids because it’s not fair that some kids get them and others don’t, then that would be too big a hit at the core of family life.’
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 12:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

How much LSD do I have to take to see the said sunshine and rainbows ?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 12:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
I'll stick with drinking thank you very much ! It's legal how can it be bad for you !
Speaking of which it's time to grab some beer since I just finished my 3rd article.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-05 12:48:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So what?

Well, I posted research that shows why there are serious flaws.

You are the one now claiming it is the best system in the history of humankind, a seriously bold claim.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-05 12:48:24
Link | Quote | Reply

So what?

/readys Nausi voice

Nice dodge man! Why don't you just answer the question!
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 12:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

As long as Baltimore is the beacon of hope and justice that it is...things are working just fine !
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-05-05 12:50:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Um... not even remotely?

Our prison system does almost nothing in terms of rehabilitation and re-entry. In most cases, an inmate may be released into the community with no more support than a parole officer who has dozens of other cases and simply cannot expend time and energy on an individual's needs. The increased privatization of prisons has made them extraordinarily dangerous to both guards and prisoners alike. When there is some kind of education program in place, they can be stupid. Here in Ohio, prisoners were given HVAC training, but you can't perform an HVAC job without a state license that requires a clean criminal record!

There's basically no hope once you've gotten out of prison, or even been convicted of a lesser crime that doesn't involve jail time. The still-flagging economy makes it substantially more difficult to find steady paying work with a criminal record, a fact that is entirely legal in most states, and some places even ban ex-cons from receiving public assistance. It's a half-assed death sentence or a guarantee that someone will pursue illicit means of support.

The function of our prison system, which is the largest in the world, is to lock people up with others who have committed crimes, some percentage of whom are an imminent danger to others, and expect them to somehow get better. I know a lot of ex-cons and some have become so institutionalized that they rarely spend more than a couple months out of prison because they can't handle the real world. One guy I know will literally attach himself to your hip because he got so used to being surrounded by people that he gets anxiety attacks when left alone. It's a meat-grinder in the worst sense and imprisonment has a negative correlation with recidivism.

Our court system is built around elected judges (or judges appointed by elected officials, depending) trying cases brought by elected prosecutors. It railroads the entire system such that conviction rate is the only thing that matters, hence why the overwhelming majority of cases are settled by plea bargain rather than jury or bench trial. It makes an excessively aggressive system, from the police on up (because the police are perceived as being lazy when arrests drop, even though that's actually an indication of lower crime rates), and regularly results in wrongful or flawed convictions because the electorate doesn't look at how many cases get successfully overturned, pardoned, or expunged.

The only groups that tend to actually be working at what we need in our justice system are the probation and parole officers and public defenders, all three of whom are incredibly over-worked and frequently underpaid.

In what sense can our justice system possibly be seen to be working well?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-05 12:51:17
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
How much LSD do I have to take to see the said sunshine and rainbows ?

See the rainbows just once? or all the time?

you could also wrestle little miss "walking on sunshine" 's air duster cans away... she tastes the rainbows...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 12:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Will you be "My brother's Keeper" Obama will be !
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-05 12:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

So what?

Because when you compare it against itself (historically), it seems to be pretty poor at preventing incarceration?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2015-05-05 12:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
but I think it's safe to say that Portugal isn't exactly the most fitting control group.
Why?
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-05 12:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Quote:
This devilish twist of evidence surely leads to a further conclusion—that perhaps in the interests of levelling the playing field, bedtime stories should also be restricted. In Swift’s mind this is where the evaluation of familial relationship goods goes up a notch.

‘You have to allow parents to engage in bedtime stories activities, in fact we encourage them because those are the kinds of interactions between parents and children that do indeed foster and produce these [desired] familial relationship goods.’

Swift makes it clear that although both elite schooling and bedtime stories might both skew the family game, restricting the former would not interfere with the creation of the special loving bond that families give rise to. Taking the books away is another story.

‘We could prevent elite private schooling without any real hit to healthy family relationships, whereas if we say that you can’t read bedtime stories to your kids because it’s not fair that some kids get them and others don’t, then that would be too big a hit at the core of family life.’

It does bring up an interesting concept, though. There is this idea that the only way to create equality is to make everyone equally miserable, because it's far easier than making everyone equally happy. Why buoy up the disadvantaged when you can just hack at the knees of the elite?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 12:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Quote:

"Plato famously wanted to abolish the family and put children into care of the state."

Was Plato a liberal? Of course he was.

"I don’t think parents reading their children bedtime stories should constantly have in their minds the way that they are unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children, but I think they should have that thought occasionally."

This is how crazy liberal ideas get started. Some opinioned jabroni waxes on about some obscure concept of social justice. Probably while loving the smell of his own farts.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 538 539 540 ... 1375 1376 1377