Supreme Court OKs Taking DNA From Arrestees

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Supreme Court OKs Taking DNA From Arrestees
Supreme Court OKs Taking DNA From Arrestees
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Carbuncle.Valflux
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Valflux
By Carbuncle.Valflux 2013-06-05 05:46:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Fenrir.Candlejack said: »
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Ok going to pop lots of bubbles here. EVERY US citizen here is a criminal.

The video I posted above will demonstrate that. There are so many laws, statutes, administrative policy's, regulations and rules that it's impossible to go throughout your life without breaking one of them.

The only difference is the degree to which the prosecution and their police thugs desire to enforce them. If they want they can arrest you for damn near anything, the only thing stopping a police state from existing is all those rights you have to a defense. Don't ever think about lightly throwing away any of them. You think it's all fine and dandy until your on the business end of a police investigation, even if you've done nothing wrong (that you know of).

Just look at recent posts in this forum, children being handcuffed or suspended for the smallest of things. All sorts of overreaction from government appointees and bureaucrats.
Meanwhile, you bloody moron, as I said before concerning the case of that kid that got arrested over wearing an NRA t-shirt to school and then refusing to just turn it inside out, such cases you also have to look at the liability faced by the school staff if, say, the kid turned out to be Adam Lanza 2.0 and decided to later go postal and shoot up the whole school with an assault rifle similar to the one his shirt had pictured on it. If they had done nothing, and that had happened, the parents of other students at that school would damn certain have sued the administration, as well as the school board itself, while going after the family of the shooter at the same time in the courts.
But no. They acted. They called the cops in, the kid was dragged out in handcuffs, and in that moment the town's school system was put at a distance by any such liability lawsuits that might have arisen if that had happened.
Then again, I forget that brainless gun-tards like yourself can't think things through further than the "that guy disagrees with me! I wanna shewt'im" train of thought. If you want to shoot someone that badly, shoot yourself in the forehead, please.

First, the concept that the actions of an individual is foreseeable (one of the aspects considered for determining negligence, and thereby liability) based on a t-shirt slogan is somewhat silly; as is the thought that having a dress code and enforcing it limits liability.

From reading a news report, we can find more information on this particular case.
To paraphrase the article, kid wears tshirt (which was within dress code), teacher tells student to change or turn inside out, kid refuses and starts arguing, and the teacher engages in an public argument with the student, which subsequently results in calling police to arrest the student for essentially disorderly conduct ("disrupting the school process").

I'm still trying to find a means of concluding this message by trying to find something meaningful in your statement to either confirm or contradict, but I can only conclude the following:

You, sir, are a Gibber.

*edited*

Sorry to poke holes in your argument (oh, wait, no I'm not...) but the depiction of weapons is widely considered inappropriate on a public school campus, and I'm sure it was against dress code at this school the same as it has been every school I've ever been to.
While the dress code cited in the news article (to a page that looks like it was made in the early 90's) does not explicitly say weapons it does have things that are easily interpreted as being up to the person in charge to decide what does and doesn't count...
"Student dress and grooming should be in good taste and appropriate for the occasion."
"Clothing and accessories that display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases are not to be worn at school or school functions."
Guns are a tool of violence... there's no way around that... Gun rights advocates may not like the term "violence" (because they want people to believe firearms are all sunshine and rainbows), but that's what they're designed for--violence... they're designed for hurting things...

Edit: Oh, and before I see the argument that it's not violent unless the gun is going off... let me suggest a counter argument...
Saying that a gun isn't a violent symbol unless it's actively being shot or going off is like saying a penis isn't a sexual symbol unless it's actively ejaculating...
A tool with a primary function doesn't stop being representative of that function simply because it's not currently being used... Firearms are used for intimidation and self-defense because of their capacity to easily harm others, not because they look scary.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-05 06:34:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Eugene said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »
I'm confused about the statement I bolded above. When you are arrested you have been indicted, or the DA can file papers to arrest you, or the offices can arrest on probable cause (but this can later be dropped without charges). This is how I understand the procedure to work, but someone else with more knowledge can chime in.
No, when you are arrested you are arrested. Then the police decide whether to charge you. The prosecutor is then handed the charges, and they decide which charges to pursue. The prosecutor then takes the charges to a grand jury. If the grand jury bills those charges then you are indicted. If you go to court and are found guilty of those charges then you are convicted.

For someone speaking as you are, you really don't know the legal system too well. Everything you've ever seen on a police show is wrong.

The police do not have the authority to charge anyone for anything, the Chief of Police couldn't charge you for littering. Only the DA and their officials can charge someone for a crime. Police can merely detain you if they have reasonable suspicion (this is an actual legal term) to believe you're in the process of committing a crime. Each state is different in how long their allowed to detain you before the DA is forced to formally charge you. If the DA's already charged you then they can arrest you, hence the term arrest warrant.

Anyhow enough with the nonsensical guy.

Onto an important topic,

The terms reasonable suspicion and probable cause are important because your defense counsel can use them to get evidence thrown out of court or have all the charges dropped.

The reason this is a 4th amendment issue is that the 4th amendment exists to protect you from frivolous searches and fishing expeditions.

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Doesn't get much more personal then forcibly extracting evidence from someone's body. You might as well give the police the ability to bust down your door and steal your sh!t without a warrant.

The key the arguments is that the supporting side is saying the search only happens after your booked on probably cause for a crime. My only issue is that the police will use this for fishing expeditions and will abuse this power like they have every other power.

-=edit=-
Fcking auto-correct strikes again.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-05 06:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Lynxblade said: »
Do you think only guilty people are convicted?

99.999% of the time yeah. >_>

Since I have more numbers now from The National Registry of Exonerations, we can look at rough (seriously rough) statistics.

According to the US Department of Justice there were
Quote:
There were 6.98 million offenders under the supervision of the adult correctional systems at yearend 2011
This includes people who are on probation, in jail, parole, or in prison. In both state and federal custody.

In order for your statistic to be accurate for all crimes here (not just felonies) only 69.8 (70) people should be innocent, or at least exonerated.

The US (as a government entity) does not keep track of exonerations via a database, so the numbers from The National Registry of Exonerations (a joint project by two law schools) are those they have found and verified, which is 1133 at this moment from 1989. This does not include
Quote:
at least 1,100 convicted defendants who were cleared since 1995 in 12 “group exonerations,” that occurred after it was discovered that police officers had deliberately framed dozens or hundreds of innocent defendants, mostly for drug and gun crimes.

This does not go into the fact that most exonerations are not known or widely publicized, so there is no way to know how many occur each year. p.96
Quote:
If so, why are these exonerations unknown? The fundamental reason is that there is no official method for recording exonerations. James Ochoa, for example, had his conviction vacated on motion of the Orange County, California District Attorney, and then charges were dismissed. If you examined the court records, that’s probably all you’d see. There might be no way whatever to know that it was an exoneration. Convictions are vacated for a host of more common reasons; modification of the sentence, for example. As a result, a record search would be extremely difficult even if the records were kept in one place. In fact, it’s impossible. Court records in America are scattered across 94 federal districts and several thousand county courthouses, and police records are even harder to locate.
Several attorneys who have obtained exonerations at this early stage have told us that it can be comparatively easy to persuade the prosecutor and the judge who tried a case to reopen it and to reverse the conviction when the trial is still fresh in their minds and before the case is taken over by other prosecutors and other judges on appeal – assuming, of course, that there is persuasive new evidence that the defendant is innocent. The hearing may be seen as a low-key process of correcting an error before it’s passed on. By the same token, they say, everybody understands that this sort of in-house error correction is supposed to remain in house. Rayshard Futrell’s appellate lawyer has told us that it would probably have been considerably more difficult to reach an agreement to release him if his case had attracted attention from the media.

So, no I think based on these numbers/facts that the 99.999% of people in jail are guilty is wrong. If you (or anyone) has time to read the document it is incredibly interesting (and has sources!).
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-06-05 07:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Valflux said: »

Sorry to poke holes in your argument (oh, wait, no I'm not...) but the depiction of weapons is widely considered inappropriate on a public school campus, and I'm sure it was against dress code at this school the same as it has been every school I've ever been to.
While the dress code cited in the news article (to a page that looks like it was made in the early 90's) does not explicitly say weapons it does have things that are easily interpreted as being up to the person in charge to decide what does and doesn't count...
"Student dress and grooming should be in good taste and appropriate for the occasion."
"Clothing and accessories that display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases are not to be worn at school or school functions."
Guns are a tool of violence... there's no way around that... Gun rights advocates may not like the term "violence" (because they want people to believe firearms are all sunshine and rainbows), but that's what they're designed for--violence... they're designed for hurting things...

Edit: Oh, and before I see the argument that it's not violent unless the gun is going off... let me suggest a counter argument...
Saying that a gun isn't a violent symbol unless it's actively being shot or going off is like saying a penis isn't a sexual symbol unless it's actively ejaculating...
A tool with a primary function doesn't stop being representative of that function simply because it's not currently being used... Firearms are used for intimidation and self-defense because of their capacity to easily harm others, not because they look scary.

Are the objects below symbols of violence?

Because they certainly are firearms.

Fun thing about symbols.
- They don't mean the same thing for everyone.
- Context matters
[+]
By Jetackuu 2013-06-05 07:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Milamber and Kara, you make me proud to be from the same server.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-05 08:19:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
Question about the swab test if anyone can chime in. How much of the genome will it document? I can't find much info online about that.

So long as it only does non-coding regions and doesn't reveal genetic traits and chronic conditions it's all golden. The minute it is allowed to reveal chronic conditions or traits it becomes a huge invasion of privacy.

The DNA that is in the database is used to search for familial matches. I'll /spoiler most of it since it is long but worth reading.

Quote:
Some jurisdictions have started to use their DNA databases for familial searching, which involves using offender profiles to identify relatives who might be perpetrators of crimes.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Valflux
Server: Carbuncle
user: Valflux
By Carbuncle.Valflux 2013-06-05 12:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun thing about symbols.
- Context matters

Was that supposed to be some sort of retort? I specifically said guns are violent symbols--specifically because their primary function is to harm things. You can try to argue that not everyone sees guns the same way, which is fine, because generalizations are typically presumed faulty by nature; however, you can't make a reasonable argument regarding the technicalities of what a firearm is. Most any unbiased person will undoubtedly choose the archetypical pistol or rifle if you ask them to choose the picture of the gun given the choice between a pistol, rifle, or one of the makeshift contraptions you've pictured.
Violence is defined as "rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment."
A gun is defined as "a weapon with a metallic tube or barrel from which a missile is discharged, usually by force of an explosion."
A gun by definition implies violence.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-05 13:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I never got around to reading Justice Scalia's dissent, only some of the quotes. But Pleebo recommended it, Scalia's comments that I had read were fascinating, and I wanted to hear their justifications for dissenting (in more specific terms).

First, Pleebo is right, it is a great read. I also learned quite a few things that previous posters seem to assume to be true or at least never questioned (myself included).

Claim: Fingerprints are used and have been for decades and it's been upheld in the courts

Fingerprints have been used for decades by law enforcement, but this practice has never been upheld by the Supreme Court.
Quote:
The Court asserts that the taking of fingerprints was “constitutional for generations prior to the introduction” of the FBI’s rapid computer-matching system. This bold statement is bereft of citation to authority because there is none for it. The “great expansion in fingerprinting came before the modern era of Fourth Amendment jurisprudence,” and so we were never asked to decide the legitimacy of the practice.
As fingerprint databases expanded from convicted criminals, to arrestees, to civil servants, to immigrants, to everyone with a driver’s license, Americans simply “became accustomed to having our fingerprints on file in some government database.” But it is wrong to suggest that this was uncontroversial at the time, or that this Court blessed universal fingerprinting for “generations” before it was possible to use it effectively for identification.

Claim: That this is only for identity purposes

The entire Maryland law in dispute has nothing to do with identity purposes, which is what the Court's Opinion is stating this will be used for. I'm only quoting his summary paragraph on "identity" but it is worth reading the whole section for the very snarky comments.
Quote:
So, to review: DNA testing does not even begin until after arraignment and bail decisions are already made. The samples sit in storage for months, and take weeks to test. When they are tested, they are checked against the Unsolved Crimes Collection—rather than the Convict and Arrestee Collection, which could be used to identify them. The Act forbids the Court’s purpose (identification), but prescribes as its purpose what our suspicionless-search cases forbid (“official investigation into a crime”)

There were other items mentioned (mug shots, etc) but I won't go into those here as I think I've bombarded everyone with enough long posts today :)

@Pleebo: The question you asked earlier about the reason DNA is different than fingerprinting. This is a legal issue (4th amendment right to not have warrantless searchers vs. a process used for identity). Totally taken from Scalia's table.

Fingerprints "are taken primarily to identify":
-the average response time from IAFIS is 27 minutes
-IAFIS has detailed identity information
-"“Latent prints” recovered from crime scenes are not systematically compared against the database of known fingerprints, since that requires further forensic work"

DNA "is taken to solve crimes (and nothing else)":
-processing time can take months
-CODIS does not contain personal identifying information
-The entire point of the DNA database is to check crime scene evidence against the profiles of arrestees and convicts as they come in.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2013-06-05 13:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Was that supposed to be some sort of retort? I specifically said guns are violent symbols--specifically because their primary function is to harm things. You can try to argue that not everyone sees guns the same way, which is fine, because generalizations are typically presumed faulty by nature; however, you can't make a reasonable argument regarding the technicalities of what a firearm is. Most any unbiased person will undoubtedly choose the archetypical pistol or rifle if you ask them to choose the picture of the gun given the choice between a pistol, rifle, or one of the makeshift contraptions you've pictured.
Violence is defined as "rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment."
A gun is defined as "a weapon with a metallic tube or barrel from which a missile is discharged, usually by force of an explosion."
A gun by definition implies violence.
/scratches head.
Are you trying to link the mechanism of operation as being an inherent property of the symbology of the object?
By that rationale, the sun is a symbol of violence. So is a baseball bat, an icepick, a hammer, and a sander.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-06-05 18:30:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
By that rationale, the sun is a symbol of violence. So is a baseball bat, an icepick, a hammer, and a sander.

Ancient civilizations used to sacrifice living humans, women and children included, to appease their sun god. In that context the sun is now a symbol of murder. So yeah he's waffling, needs to hamster more.

@Kara

I'm really concerned about the "family search" part. That seems entirely too invasive of a process seeing how police officers are extremely prejudiced when it comes to investigating a crime (confirmation bias). How hard would it be for someone to murder someone else, then drop some of their DNA in the area. Would only take a few weeks of facebook trolling to gather all the requires information then just wait for an opportune moment when that person would have no credible alibi.

People really should watch that video I posted earlier, I guarantee it will change your life.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-06-05 19:17:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess, for me, the parallels between the two still make them similar enough that I'm still a bit puzzled why one is so so much worse than the other. I get what Scalia was saying about the primary purpose of DNA sampling, and I think his dissenting opinion effectively skewered the majority opinion that DNA was taken for the purpose of identification.

It's entirely possible I'm just being too nitpicky about the previous statements, but it still seems to me that if one is against DNA sampling that they should be against fingerprinting for very much the same reasons. Yes, fingerprinting is primarily used for identification but it can be used to implicate (or exonerate) someone for crimes unrelated to whatever prompted the fingerprinting in the first place.

And honestly, I had never really thought about fingerprinting in this way before we started talking about it here, and he's right that it's just something we may take for granted and just assume is ok even though the practice has never been formally upheld. It's pretty obvious that a lot of these implications still need to be hashed out in front of the courts especially when you consider that the efficiency of DNA technology will eventually catch up that of fingerprinting.

OK I GO DO REAL WORK NOW
[+]
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-06-05 20:13:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fun thing about symbols.
- Context matters
 Cerberus.Eugene
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-06-05 20:15:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

Ancient civilizations used to sacrifice living humans, women and children included, to appease their sun god. In that context the sun is now a symbol of murder. So yeah he's waffling, needs to hamster more.

@Kara

I'm really concerned about the "family search" part. That seems entirely too invasive of a process seeing how police officers are extremely prejudiced when it comes to investigating a crime (confirmation bias). How hard would it be for someone to murder someone else, then drop some of their DNA in the area. Would only take a few weeks of facebook trolling to gather all the requires information then just wait for an opportune moment when that person would have no credible alibi.

People really should watch that video I posted earlier, I guarantee it will change your life.

You can manufacture fake dna now anyway. We're all screwed. Best go live in a cave.
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-06 03:13:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Police are not the only ones guilty of confirmation bias/or feel the noble need to help put bad guys away, but also the lab techs who are running the tests. I did not realize how many instances of faulty forensic analysis (on all forensics not just DNA) have occurred (that have been found). Below are just a few of the examples from http://www.nacdl.org/NewsReleases.aspx?id=26459

Quote:
Massachusetts 2013:
State chemist Sonja Farak has been accused of tampering with drug evidence, potentially affecting 60,000 samples in 34,000 cases.

2012 – Chemist Annie Dookhan has been accused of falsifying drug sample test results, forging paperwork and mixing up samples. Since then, over 200 defendants have been released and their cases have been put on hold while their lawyers challenge their convictions. Dookhan is believed to have been doing this for years.

Illinois 2011 – A former Detroit crime lab was abandoned with evidence left in the abandoned building for anyone to have access to. The lab, which closed in 2008, was investigated and it was discovered that the lab workers had been habitually sloppy and had high error rates.

New York 5/2010 – A NYPD criminalist was found to have taken shortcuts in testing drugs leading to unreliable results. The criminalist under question tested a substance for cocaine, determined it was negative and instead of retesting the sample, she marked the substance as positive for cocaine, leading all of the samples she had tested to be questioned.

Or just plain bad science on the part of the lab techs, that for some reason no one disputed.
Quote:
In 1987, Roadcap explained to the jury at the rape/murder trial of Barry Laughman, that the killer's blood type "morphed" from B to A-to match Laughman's blood type-due to antibiotics the victim was taking at the time of her death. Her fantasy science stood for 16 years, until Laughman was cleared by DNA.

The National Academy of Sciences issued a report in 2009, Strengthing Forensic Science in the United States: A Path Forward, found that most of the science used in crime labs lacks any form of peer review or validation. Jay A. Siegel, NAS member, said "In a nutshell, these people aren't scientists. They don't know what validation is. They don't know what it means to validate a test".

As to familial DNA matching, I don't know how anyone can agree with this. This goes beyond someone who has been arrested on probable cause and into the realm of making everyone who is related to a criminal assumed to be a criminal, as the default assumption.

I'm still more concerned more about stupidity (see above :)) than malicious intent, but of course this can happen. Especially if it is crime scene tech who has the malicious intent.
Quote:
In a bench trial, Nebraska Judge Randall Rehmeier found that prosecutors had proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Kofoed had planted blood from the murder victim in a car in an attempt to tie two innocent men to the crime. The men were eventually cleared and two Wisconsin residents were convicted of the murder.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-06 03:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I guess, for me, the parallels between the two still make them similar enough that I'm still a bit puzzled why one is so so much worse than the other. I get what Scalia was saying about the primary purpose of DNA sampling, and I think his dissenting opinion effectively skewered the majority opinion that DNA was taken for the purpose of identification.

It's entirely possible I'm just being too nitpicky about the previous statements, but it still seems to me that if one is against DNA sampling that they should be against fingerprinting for very much the same reasons. Yes, fingerprinting is primarily used for identification but it can be used to implicate (or exonerate) someone for crimes unrelated to whatever prompted the fingerprinting in the first place.

And honestly, I had never really thought about fingerprinting in this way before we started talking about it here, and he's right that it's just something we may take for granted and just assume is ok even though the practice has never been formally upheld. It's pretty obvious that a lot of these implications still need to be hashed out in front of the courts especially when you consider that the efficiency of DNA technology will eventually catch up that of fingerprinting.

Yes, I never questioned when someone mentioned fingerprinting being upheld by the courts....because of course it had been even if I couldn't name a case. Bad, very bad to stop questioning something just because it has been around throughout yourmy lifetime. :(

If I wanted to make a slippery slope argument, it sounds like fingerprinting would be a subject to look at. But like I said before, I'm not that big of a fan with fingerprinting. Confirmation of identity at processing, sure ok. Solving old crimes, no. Too many ways to misinterpret results and certainly not after reading the NAS report (p.123)
Quote:
Recent research provided additional evidence of this sort of bias through an experiment in which experienced fingerprint examiners were asked to analyze fingerprints that, unknown to them, they had analyzed previously in their careers. For half the examinations, contextual biasing was introduced. For example, the instructions accompanying the latent prints included information such as the “suspect confessed to the crime” or the “suspect was in police custody at the time of the crime.” In 6 of the 24 examinations that included contextual manipulation, the examiners reached conclusions that were consistent with the biasing information and different from the results they had reached when examining the same prints in their daily work.

Quote:
OK I GO DO REAL WORK NOW
Me too!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2013-06-06 09:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The portion of the article being posted is long but relevant. The sources for the initial article were listed at the end with only general sources rather than the specific webpage, but I've put these in the text to make it easier for people to review (I don't understand why all organizations don't do this >.>).
https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/displayArticle.aspx?articleid=22698&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Quote:
Tarnishing the DNA Gold Standard

The 2009 National Academy of Sciences report held out DNA testing as the gold standard of forensic techniques, but even the gold standard is a little tarnished.

In 2001, Kathryn Troyer, an Arizona crime lab analyst, was running a test on the state’s DNA database when she happened across two entries that matched at 9 of the 13 locations on chromosomes (loci) that are commonly used to identify a person.

Since the odds of a random 9-loci match between two unrelated people were estimated by the FBI as 1 in 113 billion, she assumed it was a duplicate entry. That belief was dispelled when she discovered that one person was black and the other white. Troyer then found dozens of similar 9-loci matches in Arizona’s 65,493-profile DNA database.

While labs in the U.S. try to match 13 loci, DNA recovered from crime scenes may be degraded or damaged; thus, sometimes fewer than 13 loci are used for DNA matches. In the United Kingdom only 10 loci are required for a match. Thus, Troyer’s findings were a matter of significant concern. “It surprised a lot of people,” said William C. Thompson, professor of Criminology, Law, and Society and Psychology and Social Behavior at the University of California-Irvine. “It had been common for experts to testify that a nine-locus match is tantamount to a unique identification.”

When word of Troyer’s discovery got out, questions were raised about the accuracy of DNA match statistics. The FBI moved to prevent her findings from being distributed and attempted to block similar research elsewhere, even when court-ordered. Dismissing the “Arizona searches” as misleading and meaningless, the FBI suggested that states could be expelled from the national DNA database (CODIS) if they “tie up the database” with Arizona-type match searches.

FBI experts persuaded judges to block searches in some states. Regardless, “Arizona searches” were performed in two other states pursuant to court orders. The searches of DNA databases in Illinois and Maryland turned up almost 1,000 additional matches with at least 9 loci. In the 220,000-profile Illinois DNA database, 903 nine-loci matches were found. See:People v. Wright, 2010 WL 1194903 (Ill.App. 1 Dist. 2010) (reversing conviction based on a 9-loci DNA match where the trial judge had refused to allow an Arizona-type search of the state’s DNA database).

Only 32 nine-loci matches were found in Maryland’s 30,000-profile database, but three of those matched at 13 loci. The odds of that occurring randomly are quadrillions to one unless the profiles are duplicates or belong to identical twins or siblings. Maryland officials did not conduct follow-up research to analyze the 13-loci matches.

A subsequent search of Arizona’s DNA database found 122 nine-loci matches, 20 ten-loci matches, 1 eleven-loci match and 1 twelve-loci match. The latter two belonged to people who were related to each other.

At the very least, the results of the “Arizona searches” should spur experts to investigate whether the statistical basis of DNA testing used by crime labs – and often cited by prosecutors – is flawed. Admittedly, searching a database for any matches is quite different from comparing a single sample to the entire database, or comparing two samples to each other. Regardless, the existence of so many potential matches in DNA databases should call into question some of the basic premises of DNA statistics.

More than 40 researchers, forensic scientists, statisticians and academics urged the FBI to provide them with access to the 8.6 million DNA profiles in the nationwide CODIS database, after removing identifying information, so they could test statistical assumptions related to DNA matches. The FBI declined, citing privacy concerns.

PLN previously reported a similar issue regarding DNA comparisons in cold cases. When a DNA sample is run against a database, the statistical odds of an erroneous match increase in accordance with the size of the database. In some cases, the odds of an incorrect match may be as high as 1 in 3. But DNA experts frequently cite much lower odds as if the size of the database was not involved, which greatly exaggerates the ability of DNA databases to identify a single unique individual as a perpetrator in cold cases. [See: PLN, Jan. 2009, p.24].

“Fingerprinting and other forensic disciplines have now accepted that subjectivity and context may affect their judgment and decisions,” said Itiel Dror, a neuroscientist at University College London. “It is now time that DNA analysts accept that under certain conditions, subjectivity and even bias may affect their work.”

Dr. Dror and a colleague at Boise State University in Idaho conducted an experiment in which they independently provided a mixed DNA sample from the victim, the defendant and other suspects in a real criminal case to 17 analysts. The result? One examiner said the defendant “could not be excluded” based on the DNA evidence. Four reported the results were inconclusive, while 12 said the defendant could be excluded. In the actual case, two prosecution experts testified that the defendant, Kerry Robinson, charged in connection with a gang rape in Georgia, could not be excluded based on the DNA evidence. He was convicted.

Additionally, even when the accuracy of DNA testing is not at issue, the correct identification of the person whose DNA is being tested is equally important. In several cases labs have mixed up or improperly labeled DNA samples, then used the test results to implicate the wrong person.

In California, for example, a lab called Cellmark Diagnostics [5-4 Supreme Court ruling Justice Kagan filed a dissenting opinion, in which Justices Scalia, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor joined] switched the labels on DNA samples from the victim and the suspect in a 1995 sexual assault case, then reported there was a match even though the victim’s sample actually contained no DNA from the suspect. A Cellmark employee caught the error at trial. See: State v. Kocak, Superior Court of San Diego (CA), Case No. SCD110465.

In a similar 1999 case in Philadelphia involving defendant Joseph McNeil, the initial test results found that McNeil was the source of DNA left on the victim’s panties with a 99.99% exclusion rate for other potential suspects. However, McNeil’s sample had been switched with that of the victim. Revised test results excluded him as a suspect – though at the time the error was discovered, McNeil’s attorney had reportedly convinced him to take a plea bargain due to the apparently damning DNA evidence.

Another case that involved transposed DNA samples occurred in Nevada in 2001. Lazaro Sotolusson, a prisoner at the North Las Vegas Detention Center, was accused of raping his cellmate. DNA samples were taken from both men. The samples were swapped when they were entered into a lab computer, and a match was returned after they were compared to evidence in unsolved sex crimes. Because the samples had been switched, Sotolusson rather than the other prisoner was prosecuted for those crimes – which involved the sexual assaults of two juveniles at gunpoint. He spent a year in jail before the mistake was discovered in April 2002 by an expert retained by the public defender’s office, a month before he was scheduled to go to trial.

Prior to the error being found, authorities had said the odds that someone other than Sotolusson had committed the crimes were 1 in 600 billion, based on the presumed DNA match. “Despite the credibility commonly afforded to these [DNA] test results, this demonstrates there is always the possibility of human error,” said Public Defender Marcus Cooper.

Ominously, in August 2009 it was reported that scientists in Israel were able to fabricate DNA evidence, including blood and saliva samples. They claimed that if they could access a particular DNA profile in a database, they could make an artificial sample that would match it. “You can just engineer a crime scene,” said Dr. Dan Frumkin, the lead author of an article on fabricating DNA evidence published in the February 2010 issue of Forensic Science International: Genetics. “Any biology undergraduate could perform this,” he added.

The FBI trying and succeeding to suppress this information/searches in some states pisses me off. Peer review and validity of data/test procedures is how scientists are able to come to conclusions/results. By completely disregarding this aspect of the scientific method (e.g. not having auditors verify stated probabilities) but continuing to maintain that the results are scientific is disingenuous.

Edit: When I cited the supreme court case, I left out that that case refrences state v. Kocak (so the details in the article can be confirmed) but this a different case dealing with the same lab.
[+]