Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 537 538 539 ... 1375 1376 1377
By fonewear 2015-05-05 09:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
So when people complain on how ineffective and inefficient the government is and how convoluted the courts are, you can say it's working as intended.
Well I'm open to ways we can streamline the courts. But do we really wanna be crying to big brother every time someone says something offensive?

Yes my feelings matter ! I want to be insulated from anything offensive !
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-05-05 09:24:06
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
How the hell can anyone define something so vague as "emotional harm" ? That could literally be millions of different things.
You hurt my feels bro.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Server: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-05 09:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Streamlining the legal system isn't necessarily a good thing. Lots of innocent people already go to jail thanks to over zealous prosecutors. Freedom-loving Americans should want it to be difficult to put people in jail.
By fonewear 2015-05-05 09:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If we actually legislated based on "feelings" I suspect everyone would be in jail...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 09:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

On that note to be a good attorney you should leave your "feels" at the door !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 09:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This article is so terrible it is quite good: (on feels)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-robbins/personal-development_b_1634273.html

Here are a few things you can do to enhance your capacity to honor your own feelings:

Be Real About How You Truly Feel -- The first step of any process is always about being real, first and foremost with ourselves. Even if we feel unclear or uncomfortable with a specific situation or certain set of emotions or desires, the more willing we are to be real about what we truly feel and want, the more ability we'll have to honor ourselves and be authentic with others. Making it a practice of getting in touch with our true feelings is essential. A great way to do this is through journaling. It's not about justifying how we feel to anyone else, it's about being honest with ourselves.

Stop Judging Yourself -- One of the biggest things that can get in our way in life, in general and specifically when it comes to feeling our feelings and expressing our desires, is self-judgment. We think to ourselves, "I shouldn't feel this way," or "If I share this, they will think I'm a terrible person." We use these self-critical thoughts to suppress our true feelings, which can have significantly negative consequences on us and others. What if we just allowed ourselves to be real and to honor what's true for us in the moment, without judging it?

Give Yourself Permission to Feel -- Because of our self-judgment, we sometimes don't give ourselves permission to feel... especially certain emotions. As human beings we tend to have a hierarchy of emotions -- liking the "good" ones (love, joy, gratitude, peace, etc.) and not liking the "bad" ones (anger, fear, hurt, powerlessness, etc.). However, at the deepest level, all human emotions have value and can benefit us if we're willing to feel them in an authentic and healthy way. Giving ourselves permission to feel what we're feeling is critical to our ability to honor and move through our emotions in a way that serves us, our relationships, and our life.

Let Go of Your "Story" -- Many of us, myself included, are attached to our "story." We love all of the drama and all of the details that make up the relationships, situations, and circumstances in our lives (both past and present). While our life story, as well as the details of specific relationships and circumstances in our lives, is important at some level, too often we get caught in the story and all the drama, which actually takes us out of our emotional experience. Where we have real power is in feeling our feelings, not talking about them, rationalizing them, or explaining them -- but in simply feeling them. Human emotions are not sustainable -- especially if they are authentically felt. It only takes about a minute or two to genuinely feel and move through an emotion. However, when we attach an emotion to a story, we don't allow ourselves to truly feel it and thus can keep it stuck in place.

Get Emotional Support -- As important as our emotions are to our lives, our wellbeing, and our relationships, sadly we don't get a lot of emotional training in life (through school, at work, and in general), and we don't often have built-in, healthy emotional support mechanisms in our daily lives. We live in a world that is primarily focused on action, results, and appearances -- none of which has anything to do with our emotional experience (even though our emotional experience is not only one of the most important aspects of our lives, but is what drives much of what we do and produce in life). There are, however, many ways we can find or enhance our emotional support. Most of us have certain emotional support structures in our lives that we've set up for ourselves, consciously or unconsciously. The key is for us to utilize these in a consistent and authentic way, as well as to make sure they are empowering us to honor ourselves and our emotional experiences in life.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-05 09:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Jassik said: »
Lots of innocent people already go to jail thanks to over zealous prosecutors.
Define "innocent" in your own words.

Also, name an offence where somebody broke the law and doesn't deserve jail time. Might help if you name the state the law was broken also.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-05 09:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lots of innocent people already go to jail thanks to over zealous prosecutors.
Define "innocent" in your own words.

Also, name an offence where somebody broke the law and doesn't deserve jail time.

Innocent, as in, not guilty of the crime they are charged with... How does that require clarification? Or are you saying that because someone commits one crime they deserve to go to jail for one they didn't?

Name an offense where someone breaks the law and doesn't deserve jail time? Parking violations...
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-05 09:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Innocent, as in, not guilty of the crime they are charged with... How does that require clarification? Or are you saying that because someone commits one crime they deserve to go to jail for one they didn't?
They would have to have been proven to have broken the law before they receive jail time. That's what the whole "innocent vs. guilty" thing is all about, since you failed to grasp that concept.

Or are you alluding that cops/prosecutors just randomly pick people off the street and throw them in jail for the fun of it? Because that is what you just said....

Name an offense where someone breaks the law and doesn't deserve jail time? Parking violations...
Name a state where you would go to jail for a parking violation. Because I can prove to you that you are wrong.
 Seraph.Ramyrez
Server: Seraph
user: Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 09:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, name an offence where somebody broke the law and doesn't deserve jail time

There are many very good reasons why we should stop putting in prison people for solely drug-related charges.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-05 09:51:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ramyrez said: »
Also, name an offence where somebody broke the law and doesn't deserve jail time

There are many very good reasons why we should stop putting in prison people for solely drug-related charges.
Still illegal in all but, what, 2 states, and only for one type of controlled substance? Besides, do you honestly think that making drugs legal will help people? You do know that a majority of drug-related crime also has other crimes attached to it, like assault, battery, larceny, fraud, theft, and so on?
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 09:53:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Still illegal in all but, what, 2 states, and only for one type of controlled substance? Besides, do you honestly think that making drugs legal will help people? You do know that a majority of drug-related crime also has other crimes attached to it, like assault, battery, larceny, fraud, theft, and so on?

Hence "drug-related".

do you honestly think that making drugs legal will help people

I think that a big part of the country's drug problem is tied up in its problems of race, poverty, social stratification, health care, crime in general, and problems with law-enforcement relations.

And I think the "War on drugs" has lost us billions and ammounted to very little success...inversely, it has cost us and others dearly.

Not only are we fueling our own problems with our treatment of controlled substances, we've created a booming industry in Central and South America that has threatened their innocent citizens, destablized their governments and societies, and contributed to our immigration woes.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-05 09:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Hence "drug-related".
Hence "why it is still illegal" and "why putting people in prison for solely drug-related charges" still exist.

Because a dealer in your case would not go to jail, he is just a middleman in the supply chain. Still causes more civil discord than any single druggie does.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-05 09:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

There have been innocent people in prison, this is a fact. There is thought to be others that are still in there.

Assuming that our system is perfect and no mistakes have ever been made is laughable. Mistakes have been made.

You don't actually have to be guilty to be convicted just like you can be guilty and be found innocent.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 09:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
But do we really wanna be crying to big brother every time someone says something offensive?
No.
[+]
 Seraph.Ramyrez
By Seraph.Ramyrez 2015-05-05 09:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

This article is so terrible it is quite good: (on feels)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-robbins/personal-development_b_1634273.html

You know, if you actually took some of these things to heart and tried to get yourself straight emotionally rather than just mocking them, I bet you'd feel a lot better about life. ^^;
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-05 10:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
There have been innocent people in prison, this is a fact. There is thought to be others that are still in there.
Very few people. Or are you going to say "lots of innocent people" like Jassik did?

You know, not substantiate the number.

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
You don't actually have to be guilty to be convicted just like you can be guilty and be found innocent.
Like I said, very few people.

You do know what statistical norm means, right? Six Sigma? You are talking about the outliers of the 6 sigma on a standard bellcurve, the ~.2% of people fall under, ~.1% innocent but found guilty and the ~.1% guilty but found innocent. Should we revoke laws because people have been falling outside the 6 sigma of a standard bellcurve?
By fonewear 2015-05-05 10:00:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't feel that feel anymore though...
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-05-05 10:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

They would have to have been proven to have broken the law before they receive jail time. That's what the whole "innocent vs. guilty" thing is all about, since you failed to grasp that concept.

Or are you alluding that cops/prosecutors just randomly pick people off the street and throw them in jail for the fun of it? Because that is what you just said....

Name a state where you would go to jail for a parking violation. Because I can prove to you that you are wrong.

I wouldn't accuse police of randomly picking people off the street, but it has been shown quite clearly that innocent people are falsely convicted often enough to take a step back and figure out what we're doing wrong.

As for parking violations, you said to name a law that people shouldn't go to jail if they break. Here's one they should, wire fraud, the crime a large number of bankers committed but were never even charged with.

You undermine your "tough on crime" stance at every turn.
By fonewear 2015-05-05 10:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Police are too busy killing brown people to worry about parking violations !
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-05-05 10:02:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Be back in a little bit. I have an article on the ethical dilemmas posed by robots.

In the meantime here's this:

Quote:
Construction work has begun on the first factory in China’s manufacturing hub of Dongguan to use only robots for production, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

A total of 1,000 robots would be introduced at the factory initially, run by Shenzhen Evenwin Precision Technology Co, with the aim of reducing the current workforce of 1,800 by 90 per cent to only about 200, Chen Xingqi, the chairman of the company’s board, was quoted as saying in the report.

The company did not give a figure for the investment in the factory, but said its production capacity could reach a value of 2 billion yuan (US$322 million) annually.
Robots only! China manufacturing plant to reduce human employees by 90%
By fonewear 2015-05-05 10:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Be back in a little bit. I have an article on the ethical dilemmas posed by robots.

In the meantime here's this:

Quote:
Construction work has begun on the first factory in China’s manufacturing hub of Dongguan to use only robots for production, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

A total of 1,000 robots would be introduced at the factory initially, run by Shenzhen Evenwin Precision Technology Co, with the aim of reducing the current workforce of 1,800 by 90 per cent to only about 200, Chen Xingqi, the chairman of the company’s board, was quoted as saying in the report.

The company did not give a figure for the investment in the factory, but said its production capacity could reach a value of 2 billion yuan (US$322 million) annually.
Robots only! China manufacturing plant to reduce human employees by 90%

Won't someone please think of the artificial intelligence feels !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 10:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Why we drink:

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-05-05 10:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't accuse police of randomly picking people off the street, but it has been shown quite clearly that innocent people are falsely convicted often enough to take a step back and figure out what we're doing wrong.
Show the source where a lot of people are being falsely convicted. Mind you, it has to be a primary source (like the Department of Justice) and not a secondary source (like huffpost). Because I highly doubt you can sift through the fluff of an article and see cherrypicking arguments where they stand.

As for parking violations, you said to name a law that people shouldn't go to jail if they break.
I also said name a state where that law would put the person in jail. Just because you fail to quote me doesn't mean that I never said it.

Here's one they should, wire fraud, the crime a large number of bankers committed but were never even charged with.
Wire fraud is a federal offence, also punishable by up to 20 years in jail.

But if you have evidence that a "large number of bankers committed" this crime, why not go to the FBI and present it? Remember, infowars.com is not evidence.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2015-05-05 10:11:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Appearantly here it wasn't random but they picked up people that they thought no one else would give a ***about and then "coerced" them into a confession. John Burge is thought to have tortured over 200 people and many of them have been released now. His actions not only were criminal but cost the city he worked for over $100,000,000 in settlements, reviews and court costs...

The idea that people justify things by saying that the number of innocent people convicted is negligible so that makes it ok or something is laughable. This usually stems from the idea that the one convicted is already guilty of something else at least or that it never affects them so its ok.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-05-05 10:36:47
Link | Quote | Reply

In political news: Mike Huckabee is running for President !
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-05-05 11:50:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I, for one, didn't believe you.....and then I discovered to my horror that this is true...

when are we going to get smart and burn hope arkansas to the ground?
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-05-05 11:54:19
Link | Quote | Reply

so is ben carson.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-05 11:56:19
Link | Quote | Reply

False convictions occur on a much larger scale than .2%.

The government does not keep track of those who are pardoned.

There was a topic a few years ago that discussed this.

Some information p.6
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-05-05 11:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

I, for one, didn't believe you.....and then I discovered to my horror that this is true...

when are we going to get smart and burn hope arkansas to the ground?

You're the one with the doomsday devices. Stop being lazy and do it yourself.
First Page 2 3 ... 537 538 539 ... 1375 1376 1377