Maryland Decriminalizes Marijuana Possession

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Maryland Decriminalizes Marijuana Possession
First Page 2 3
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-14 20:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

We are winning!

OK, its only under 10 grams, but....

Quote:
Senate Bill 364 reduces the penalty for possessing less than 10 grams of marijuana from a criminal to a civil offense. First-time offenders will face fines up to $100, while a second offense will be punishable with a fine up to $250 and subsequent offenses up to $500. Additionally, the bill requires third-time offenders or offenders under the age of 21 to be evaluated for substance abuse problems, and to attend drug education classes.
OK for me this is a ROCKING first step and well thought out.

As a medical MMJ user in WA I hope they go medical next.
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2014-04-14 20:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

420 Easter Sunday, Blaze it.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 20:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I had to deal with yet another one at work today...

I have yet to meet a single functional marijuana smoker. I'm not sure if it is chicken or egg, but there's a strong anecdotal correlation in my life between people who get high and people who seem to be incapable of doing the simplest things (even when sober). I can only think of one exception and I haven't seen her in years.

So while I want to say the whole "third-time offenders will evaluated for substance abuse" is twaddle given how little trouble marijuana causes (in legal terms), especially when compared to good ol' legal alcohol, I don't half-wonder if it could be a gateway to getting some people to look at their lives. Or I could hope that the evaluation consists of being beaten with a rubber hose until an epiphany happens, but that's just sour grapes talking.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Melbufrauma
Server: Asura
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-04-14 20:57:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Since I had to deal with yet another one at work today...

I have yet to meet a single functional marijuana smoker. I'm not sure if it is chicken or egg, but there's a strong anecdotal correlation in my life between people who get high and people who seem to be incapable of doing the simplest things (even when sober). I can only think of one exception and I haven't seen her in years.

So while I want to say the whole "third-time offenders will evaluated for substance abuse" is twaddle given how little trouble marijuana causes (in legal terms), especially when compared to good ol' legal alcohol, I don't half-wonder if it could be a gateway to getting some people to look at their lives. Or I could hope that the evaluation consists of being beaten with a rubber hose until an epiphany happens, but that's just sour grapes talking.

Maybe you just hang around a bunch of ***-tards? Me, and about 95% of my friends all smoke pot and live completely normal lives, Working/School etc and are fully "functional". Most people probably would never even be able to tell we smoke
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
Server: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 21:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Smoking pot is alot like people who drink, a mixed bag.

Some people really shouldn't touch any substances. They turn into repulsive *** who represent everything wrong with human civilization.

That being said, I'd rather them high than drunk.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Smoking pot is a lot like people who drink, a mixed bag.

Some people really shouldn't touch any substances. They turn into repulsive *** who represent everything wrong with human civilization.

That being said, I'd rather them high than drunk.
I've yet to see a *** drunk that wasn't a *** sober, the same with potheads or other drugs.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 21:04:50
Link | Quote | Reply

karusanyoshi said: »
Ono, just out of curiosity, what line of work are you in?
Construction. But this applies to friends and acquaintances I have outside of work, too.

And the "maybe you hang around the wrong people" defense is pretty weak. Most of my friends can barely be bothered to touch alcohol. The people I voluntarily associate with for the most part don't need to burn out brain cells to make it through the day. Like I said, it's a chicken or egg problem: are they *** getting high to distract from themselves, or does getting high make them into useless slugs? I don't know. Nor honestly care.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 21:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I've yet to see a *** drunk that wasn't a *** sober, the same with potheads or other drugs.

I have one friend in particular who turns into an aggressive *** when drunk, free from the limitations of tact. Got pretty sexist last time he had one too many and got a decisive slap from a chick in a bar which turned into us trying to stop the bouncer from dropping him on his head outside the place.

Next day: Dude I'm so sorry about yesterday.

No you're not. We got thrown out of a bar because you're a dumbfuck who is emotionally damaged, embarassed to talk to women sober and thinks that hard sell alpha male ***you see on TV works in reality.

John Hamm you are not.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I purposely don't go to bars, I don't like the people they attract. (no offense, Sparth).
[+]
 Asura.Melbufrauma
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-04-14 21:11:13
Link | Quote | Reply

People in the construction industry tend to lean towards harder drugs such as pills/meth etc rather than just strictly smoke pot. Also
Quote:
I hang around people who don't need to burn out brain cells to make it through the day
I present you with this: http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/lifestyle/2014/04/11/marijuana-might-help-new-cell-growth-in-the-brain/

According to a recent study: Marijuana is complete opposite of alcohol and nicotine in that instead of suppressing brain cell growth, it supports it.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 21:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

a.) "Might."

b.) I'm too lazy to do it, but I could find a minimum of a dozen studies indicating diminished cognitive function and possible brain damage correlated with marijuana usage.

Also, even if I take that study at full value, it's about a cannabinoid. Not only do we know that cannabinoids have certain effects on the brain, we know they're not all negative. What about all the other crap you're breathing in, though? At bare minimum, it's burning organic matter, which is carcinogenic.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 21:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I purposely don't go to bars, I don't like the people they attract. (no offense, Sparth).

Dude, I'm a complete nerd. A FFXI geek who could probably sing the theme song of every 90s Disney pic by heart and did a rousing rendition of The Little Mermaid's Under the Sea at karaoke in front of a crowd of 20 and 30 somethings last week.

The bars I frequent are a far reach from the Hollywood biker joints and pretentious douchecanoes where type A personalities wank for hours over jack on the rocks cause that's the only thing 'real men' drink.

There's a Doctor Who themed bar not far from where I hang out where drunk people talk for hours about whatever slurs out of the mouth after enough beers.

I can stand certain drunk people but the greasy types who are stumbling after 1-2 beers, talking alot of ***and getting aggressive for no *** reason annoy me to no end. Dudes, just no.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 21:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I have one friend in particular who turns into an aggressive *** when drunk, free from the limitations of tact. Got pretty sexist last time he had one too many and got a decisive slap from a chick in a bar which turned into us trying to stop the bouncer from dropping him on his head outside the place.

Next day: Dude I'm so sorry about yesterday.

No you're not. We got thrown out of a bar because you're a dumbfuck who is emotionally damaged, embarassed to talk to women sober and thinks that hard sell alpha male ***you see on TV works in reality.

John Hamm you are not.
My alma mater has published a study or two on this subject. Alcohol is a disinhibitor, not a personality changer. So, yeah, if you're a jerk while drunk, you're a jerk while sober but your filters are toning it down.

Now, to make that point really confusing, I'm giddy and dancey and joking and grinning like a 5-year-old in a candy store when I'm drunk. Which implies that I'm actually a happy and fun person.

...yeah...
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:20:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, I'm a complete nerd. A FFXI geek who could probably sing the theme song of every 90s Disney pic by heart and did a rousing rendition of The Little Mermaid's Under the Sea at karaoke in front of a crowd of 20 and 30 somethings last week.

The bars I frequent are a far reach from the Hollywood biker joints and pretentious douchecanoes where type A personalities wank for hours over jack on the rocks cause that's the only thing 'real men' drink.

There's a Doctor Who themed bar not far from where I hang out where drunk people talk for hours about whatever slurs out of the mouth after enough beers.

I can stand certain drunk people but the greasy types who are stumbling after 1-2 beers, talking a lot of ***and getting aggressive for no *** reason annoy me to no end. Dudes, just no.
I like my jack straight.

douchecanaoes, classic.

Yeah, there isn't such a place with 100 miles of here.
 Asura.Melbufrauma
By Asura.Melbufrauma 2014-04-14 21:20:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaporizers eliminate about 90-95% of carcinogens from the plant matter because it only heats it instead of combustion.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:21:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Melbufrauma said: »
Vaporizers eliminate about 90-95% of carcinogens from the plant matter because it only heats it instead of combustion.
bake it

edit: to get baked
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't seen any confirmed study of any actual evidence of damaged brain cells from marijuana use, aside from normal brain damage from lack of oxygen.

But I'd be very interested in seeing such a thing.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
Server: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2014-04-14 21:23:10
Link | Quote | Reply

a.) "Might."

b.) I'm too lazy to do it, but I could find a minimum of a dozen studies indicating diminished cognitive function and possible brain damage correlated with marijuana usage.

Also, even if I take that study at full value, it's about a cannabinoid. Not only do we know that cannabinoids have certain effects on the brain, we know they're not all negative. What about all the other crap you're breathing in, though? At bare minimum, it's burning organic matter, which is carcinogenic.

Obviously you've never heard of vaporizing pure thc/cbd. You don't always have to smoke chlorophyll when you're getting stoned..
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-04-14 21:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I work in construction too and the pot smokers I've met and have worked with are just as productive - if not more productive - than others. This isn't to say that pot makes one more productive, just that all types of people from all walks of life smoke pot and they can be productive when they want to be, just look at inventions like the Snuggie or any given program on Cartoon Network, you know the icky was involved in the creation of those.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
I work in construction too and the pot smokers I've met and have worked with are just as productive - if not more productive - than others. This isn't to say that pot makes one more productive, just that all types of people from all walks of life smoke pot and they can be productive when they want to be, just look at inventions like the Snuggie or any given program on Cartoon Network, you know the icky was involved in the creation of those.

Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 21:27:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Adventure Time, Regular Show, Uncle Grandpa.

The fruits of cannabis.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 21:28:44
Link | Quote | Reply

The fruits of cannabis.
I'd say crack.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 21:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

just look at inventions like the Snuggie or any given program on Cartoon Network, you know the icky was involved in the creation of those.
Gosh, I hope that's sarcasm. The Snuggie is a joke of a product, to say nothing of being quite low quality (my friends bought one for some desperate reason) and Cartoon Network stopped producing decent shows years ago with only a few rare exceptions.

And, yes, I know about vaporizers. Any statistics on how many people actually use them? Most of the smokers I know have their little glass pipe and the rest buy papers.

And I've happily said that my data regarding potheads and uselessness is pure anecdote. But it never fails that someone who has a seven-leafed icon or sticker* (that isn't an easily-mistaken image for the Ohio State Buckeyes) will be the kind of obnoxious knobhead who irritates the foreman and drives me to find work on the opposite side of the site. I will concede that the pill and meth users are worse.

I have a bias against psychoactives, not helped by being largely allergic to or unaffected by them. I was put on a super-strength opioid when I cracked my skull last year and, in addition to only letting the nurses administer half the dose prescribed, I never felt the tiniest bit high. I'm prone to what are called paradoxical reactions.

*Edit:
Maybe it has something to do with people who build an identity around their substance abuse.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 21:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Imma let you finish but Regular Show and Adventure Time are far deeper than alot of the *** we grew up with in the late 80s/early 90s. Snuggie has made millions, the people have spoken. A bathtowel turn wrap blanket is what the free markets desired. Democracy!

Wipe away the nostalgia and the pure cheese coming from some of the garbage we called childrens entertainment starts stinking up the place. I can't even watch some of those old kids shows anymore, they're just grade A ***.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-14 21:39:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The fruits of cannabis.

Justice League, Young Justice, Teen Titans, not everything CN has aired is bad.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 21:40:26
Link | Quote | Reply

For the record, fruits of cannabis meant something good. lol
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 21:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't get into Regular Show, but I won't say it's terrible. Adventure Time is... well, same deal, but the world it builds intrigues the writer in me.

When I think of ***that Cartoon Network produces, though, I think of Adult Swim and the long, long, long list of crap associated with Tim and Eric (whose success is clearly driven by substance abuse, both on their part and that of the audience) and the majority of other original shows barring the Venture Bros.
[+]
Forum Moderator
By Anna Ruthven 2014-04-14 21:49:12
Link | Quote | Reply

just look at inventions like the Snuggie or any given program on Cartoon Network, you know the icky was involved in the creation of those.
*Edit:
Maybe it has something to do with people who build an identity around their substance abuse.
I can agree with this, I was never one to find anything fun or amusing with being so intoxicated that I do stuff I wouldn't normally do. I also find the "ohmagawd!! I was SOOOO drunk last night..." stories annoying.

To other posters:
Also, I made a joke about cartoons but the thread is about Marijuana, legalization of marijuana, etc. please stay on that topic.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-14 22:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

*Edit:
I can agree with this, I was never one to find anything fun or amusing with being so intoxicated that I do stuff I wouldn't normally do. I also find the "ohmagawd!! I was SOOOO drunk last night..." stories annoying.

To other posters:
Also, I made a joke about cartoons but the thread is about Marijuana, legalization of marijuana, etc. please stay on that topic.

Stay on topic ? Years of internet usage has left my mind unable to do so.

The very nature of the internet and forums is to be distracted. How many times you go online and end up on some weird site. Not even remembering what you were looking for to begin with ?
First Page 2 3