First Page 2 3 4 5
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-15 11:30:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
The water you are filtering right now through your miserable little parasitic organs is dinosaur piss

mosin barf too, if the atlantic ocean has anything to say about it!!!

also, *** the ocean.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 11:32:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Don't want to be rude but this is dumb as f*ck.

If your intention is to not be rude, you have failed miserably.

You've lost credibility in my perspective so don't bother trying to persuade me into your disillusion.

Moving on...

Most people are aware of the race to the Arctic. So yeah the thirst for oil is more alive than ever.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/us-lags-behind-arctic-nations-in-race-to-stake-claims-to-untapped-resources/
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-15 11:35:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

You've lost credibility in my perspective so don't bother trying to persuade me into your disillusion.

Moving on...

Most people are aware of the race to the Arctic. So yeah the thirst for oil is more alive than ever.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/us-lags-behind-arctic-nations-in-race-to-stake-claims-to-untapped-resources/

Don't sweat it, you're going to run into people on these forums that swear up and down that "peak production" is a myth and that Marion King Hubbert is a crackpot.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 11:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
I can post links later in the day, but living in Pennsylvania, let me tell you that the "benefits" of fracking aren't all they're cracked up to be. (womp womp).
Just be thankful you don't live in the U.K. where you can't even complain about your flammable running water and toxic poisoning. At least for now in the US you can claim ownership of your land to an extent.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 11:37:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »

Moving on...

Don't sweat it, you're going to run into people on these forums that swear up and down that "peak production" is a myth and that Marion King Hubbert is a crackpot.
Meh, that's nothing. I remember back in the day these forums were like a jungle!
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-04-15 11:56:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Umm... did you even read the article or attempt any sort of research into what they are taking about? Cause you just made yourself sound like an idiot.

They aren't burning water. They are extracting CO2 from water to use as the carbon feedstock for synthetic gas. They are also taking some H2 out.
Now eventually you burn that synthetic gas. Now I am sure in your head you believe that the materials vanish into nothingness. In actuality the burning produces CO, CO2 and H2O vapor. Whatever water is used comes back out and falls back to the surface. The actual amount is incredibly small as the atomic weight of hydrogen is.. well the lowest of all elements. Its the carbon they need as its heavy and impractical to carry with you. The CO2 that's in the ocean mostly came from the atmosphere, the place you complain has too much CO2 to begin with.

It's a hydrogen reactor, you dipshit

They are developing the same technology for cars

If you remove H2 from water you are left with O

which stands for oxygen and everyone cheers
HURRAY! WE CAN BREATHE OXYGEN!

But it's no longer water!!

which is a finite resource... /waits for the lightbulb to come on

The process destroys the water molecule at the molecular level which BIG SURPRISE we won't be able to reverse.

I don't give a flying *** how little water you're using in a single reactor when you multiply it by every *** car/truck/boat/train on the planet and then multiply that by every day until we run out of water like the bunch of *** retards we apparently are.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-04-15 12:01:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Chaos is back?!? Nice! Alymorel popped in yesterday too!
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Server: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-04-15 12:02:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Disregard. Unrelated anecdotal story based on my having misinterpreted something.
 Bismarck.Keityan
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-04-15 12:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »
The process destroys the water molecule at the molecular level which BIG SURPRISE we won't be able to reverse.

I don't give a flying *** how little water you're using in a single reactor when you multiply it by every *** car/truck/boat/train on the planet and then multiply that by every day until we run out of water like the bunch of *** retards we apparently are.

Under the laws of the conservation of energy, this is not true. This isn't exactly Nuclear Fusion here where matter is destroyed to create pure energy. What we're looking at is the energy between the bonds. If you break water to the molecular components, O2 and H2, you must add energy to it. When you combust them, they will become water again and release energy. That energy is what our cars and appliances use.

That being said, they are making fuel. But I think most fail to see is that in order to make such fuel, you need to add energy into the system. In fact, more energy is added to create this fuel than it is to actually burn it. But in the management of the system, it makes sense. Let's say you use solar power. Solar Power gives you very little energy, but stable. Solar power isn't going to power your Naval ships because the extreme amount of energy you'd need in large bursts. You'd always need an intermediate: in solar case, it's usually going to be stored in chemical energy in the form of a battery. But what if you wanted to burn it? This technology gives you another option. It acts as a way to store chemical energy as an intermediate.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-15 17:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't understand universal conservation. Seriously do some research first. Did you fail highschool physics? Your not losing anything in the process.

As for the hydrogen they are getting, you pretty much showed your ignorance here by pointing to that. Carbon is rare in water, more common then in the air but still much rared then from the land. The ration of Hydrogen to Carbon in fuels varies, Gasoline has an 8:18 ratio between C and H, so two hydrogen atoms for very carbon atom.

Here is the composition of seawater

http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/seawater.htm

This puts an absolutely limit to how much hydrogen you can use, and you can't keep taking more because you won't get an equivalent amount of carbon, and carbon is what your really after. 63 hydrogen molecules for every 28 carbon molecules extracted which comes out to 63/110,000 as the most you could possible take regardless of production volume. That is why I said it was a small amount. And no you can't keep taking out hydrogen for every "car/blah/blah", there won't be any carbon to go with it (actually it's even less as they are making a lower C:H ratio fuel)

Finally ... your not destroying anything in the process. Matter can neither be created not destroyed outside of a nuclear reaction. Your converting CO2 and a very small fraction of H2O into hydrocarbon fuel, then later you combust that fuel in the presence of free O2 to reproduce the original CO2 and H2O (and some CO from side reactions). Both fall back to the ground and end up in the Ocean eventually.

It's like explaining high school chemistry and physics to preschoolers around here.
 Cerberus.Corphish
Server: Cerberus
user: Lobster
By Cerberus.Corphish 2014-04-15 17:47:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I learn so much from these articles *_* (sometimes)
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-15 18:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Chaos is back?!? Nice! Alymorel popped in yesterday too!
You should check on the 'Money is speech' thread for my return ;D
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Server: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-15 19:20:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Matter can neither be created not destroyed outside of a nuclear reaction.
What about a nuclear reaction actually creates or destroys matter?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-15 19:21:01
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like explaining high school chemistry and physics to preschoolers around here.

Science is all around us and is the most accurate depiction of life, the cosmos and everything, and it's boring as hell.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 19:24:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »

Science is all around us and is the most accurate depiction of life, the cosmos and everything, and it's boring as hell.
if it's boring, you're doing it wrong.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-15 19:25:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I'm sciencing as right as I can, dammit!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-15 19:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I blame electrons with their negative attitude.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 19:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »

I'm sciencing as right as I can, dammit!
well isn't that cute, but it's wrong!
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-15 19:30:26
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

I blame electrons with their negative attitude.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-15 19:32:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This argument got interesting. I rather thought people understood basic chemistry and the conservation of matter better than this. The array on each side is quite intriguing.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 19:39:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I thought people.
I'll stop you there as to where you went wrong.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-15 19:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
This argument got interesting. I rather thought people understood basic chemistry and the conservation of matter better than this. The array on each side is quite intriguing.
Having something taught in school doesn't really many anyone will understand it. It's beaten in to your head so hard that they have to beat it out for anyone to even answer a multiple choice question and even then, you are just regurgitating, not learning what it means and the amazing and profound effects this knowledge might have on the world around you.

It'd be nice if school had been a bit more engaging. Nothing helps kids excel like getting motivated by discovery and understanding. But our failed system does neither and even if you get lucky and get an awesome teacher, they are bound by rules and limited in what they can actually do. Then you graduate and your dreams get splattered on the nearest low paying job.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-15 19:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Last time I had Chemistry was in high school. I remember some of it that was quite a long time ago.
By fonewear 2014-04-15 19:51:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Plus let's face it not everyone is going to excel in Chemistry. It was boring as hell when I learned it.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 19:52:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I was always disappointed in school that the Chemistry labs had all the cool equipment, and we never got to use it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-15 19:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

It's something I've discovered by being a teacher for the past year. Different students learn different ways and have strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I'm proficient in the arts, but when it comes to math and science, I'm a complete and utter knucklehead. Does that make me stupid? Hell to da no. It just means I can't grasp scientific stuff and I don't care. But, I've never made a claim to the contrary before; if you've seen me ranting and raving on this site before, you should know that I hates me anything to do with numbers. ***, I failed chemistry in high school; lucky for me, it wasn't required.

So yes, you people know more about science than I do, but I bet I could analyze the ***out of James Joyce.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-15 20:10:03
Link | Quote | Reply

That could be true but I also think people let their personal distaste for certain subjects inhibit their ability to understand them. Higher cognitive ability transfers well between academic areas, but if someone doesn't like a particular topic or has convinced themselves they don't like one, it's rather unlikely they will excel in it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-15 20:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
That could be true but I also think people let their personal distaste for certain subjects inhibit their ability to understand them. Higher cognitive ability transfers well between academic areas, but if someone doesn't like a particular topic or has convinced themselves they don't like one, it's rather unlikely they will excel in it.
This is exactly why I can't get users to learn anything. They've convinced themselves that computers are too hard and only certain people can learn their secrets.

"Oh you want to teach me how to change my own signature so that you don't have to do it every other week when I decide I want to change my random holiday notice or note? Nah, it's easier for you to take time out of your day every time to do it for me rather than me spend 5 minutes thinking to do it on my own!"
By Jetackuu 2014-04-15 20:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

People are dumb, willfully ignorant, go figure.
 Diabolos.Raelia
Server: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2014-04-15 20:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Wait, somebody thinks electrolysis of water destroys the molecules forever?