First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-16 17:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Saevel said: »

If you would go back and read what I wrote and not what someone else is trying to say that I wrote, I said exactly that. And prior to Einstein there wasn't any understanding of nuclear reactions. Classic physics said they couldn't happen and treated matter and energy as two distinctly separate components of the universe. Einstein unified them as an expression of the same component (Mass-Energy). That concept is very important when dealing extremely large or extremely small amounts of either.

And yes in a nuclear reaction matter is destroyed and converted into it's ME equivalent of energy.
The entire basis of that equation is that neither energy nor matter is destroyed, but merely changes form from one to another.
Nothing is destroyed, in the same sense that nothing is created. It's a pretty key and critical part of the entire concept.

And Mass-Energy was created to describe the effects of special relativity, It was six years after Einstein published his paper that the nucleus was discovered, and the neutron was discovered about two decades after that. Nuclear reactions have been used to confirm his equation to high accuracy.

There wasn't any understanding of nuclear reactions prior to Mass-Energy, because there wasn't prior understanding of the nucleus.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-16 17:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting fact: pure Water is an electric insulator, it's the impurities that make it conductive.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-04-16 17:18:57
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going nowhere. Your just restating what I already stated, then pretending to correct me.
By fonewear 2014-04-16 17:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Interesting fact: pure Water is an electric insulator, it's the impurities that make it conductive.

Water is delicious it tastes so wet!
By Jetackuu 2014-04-16 17:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »
is delicious it tastes so wet!
that's what she said?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-16 17:34:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So wet you'll need a slip and slide. What are we talking about again ?
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-16 17:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I've read that before. It's a neat thing to prove with distilled water.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-16 17:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
I've read that before. It's a neat thing to prove with distilled water.

I should get some of that to freak people out with their cell phones one time.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-16 18:36:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll make your face obsolete.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Server: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-16 19:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

This is going nowhere. Your just restating what I already stated, then pretending to correct me.
This is the difference between Newton and Einstein physics. In Newtonian physics matter and energy can be neither created nor destroyed, both are conserved and only can be converted from one form to another.
The ability to convert between mass and energy is a characteristic of relativistic mechanics, not classical mechanics.
A gallon of gasoline has a quantifiable amount of chemical energy present, upon being exposed to an exothermic reaction (combustion) it will release that energy in the form of thermal and kinetic energy.
Exothermic reactions release energy in the the form of heat or light. You could argue that since temperaure is the average kinetic energy of the atoms of the substance, but generally speaking you would simply state thermal energy.
The matter that is left will have the exact same total mass and elements present only now at a lower energy state. That is a Newtonian reaction.
No, that is a chemical reaction.
Einstein discovered that matter and energy could be converted between each other as a result of how subatomic structures work.

The results of his research was the famous formula E=MC2 which is the conversation rate between Energy and Matter with the speed of light in a vacuum acting as the coefficient.
No, the Mass-energy conversion was discovered as a result of how (for a lack of a better term) galactic structures work. From what I recall, it had to do with resolving problems with inertial frames.

In a nuclear reaction you take a specific amount of matter and after undergoing nuclear transmutation it comes out as a different element then it started with less mass then it started with. The amount of mass it lost was converted into energy in the form of high energy radioactive particles or radiated energy (x-ray / gamma ray / microwave). In a nuclear fission reactor you feed Uranium MOX (Thorium is on the rise as a next gen cleaner fuel) into a chamber where it's bombarded with slow neutrons, eventually the uranium cracks and creates more neutrons that cause more molecules to crack which results in a bunch of high speed particles exiting the moderator and hitting into a thermal wall where it's kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy. When the fuel is finished cracking your left with various low energy unstable elements that continue undergoing radioactive decay, their total mass is less the the original fuel mass.
This is broadly accurate.
[+]