US Navy Makes Oil Obsolete
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-14 19:10:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Get the scoop, here.

Essentially, a "game changer" has been developed by the US Navy using salt water to successfully power engines. Already, the price for this fuel is 3-6 dollars a gallon, and it will only lower from there. It's time to give Big Oil the swift kick in the *** they deserve. Also, for you skeptics, here's the official report from the Navy themselves.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 19:20:10
Link | Quote | Reply

So does this mean cars can be powered by seawater in the "near" future or will it be more of a "this works for ships and buildings that can house the necessary machinery" thing? Or does it mean we can refine the stuff and then ship it as we do now with gasoline?

I'm not the least surprised that this has been accomplished, but the price-point and environmental ramifications are pleasant. I'd say it'd be nice if we could find a way to torch the carbon dioxide without re-releasing it, but I suspect that could lead to a similar ecological problem given 100 or so years, possibly less. Then again, high oxygen, lowish CO2, that means we can support megafauna like dinosaurs once more.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-14 19:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
Get the scoop, here.

Essentially, a "game changer" has been developed by the US Navy using salt water to successfully power engines. Already, the price for this fuel is 3-6 dollars a gallon, and it will only lower from there. It's time to give Big Oil the swift kick in the *** they deserve. Also, for you skeptics, here's the official report from the Navy themselves.

I love how the article says that Republicans will hate this. Reminds me of those ads that say "Dermatologists/dentists/trainers/etc. hate him/her! Learn how to blah blah blah with one weird trick!"

I'm a tad skeptical about this being the thing that will end dependence on oil, but if it works, hallelujah.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-14 19:23:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm trying to read this article because the concept is very interesting, but it is very difficult to get past the constant barrage of insults and out of the gate preemptive bashing of non-Democrats from the lib that wrote this.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 19:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

article said:
This article was originally posted on proudtobeafilthyliberalscum.com

lol'd a bit
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-14 19:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

for the people who are too sensitive for partisan rhetoric.

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/media/news-releases/2014/scale-model-wwii-craft-takes-flight-with-fuel-from-the-sea-concept

Edit: and videos for people who don't like to read and stuff:

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-14 19:29:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say ignore the article's bias or even the article entirely and just go for the second link. Seriously not trying to lambast anyone's political views, here. I'd like to think both interested parties would be all for a cheaper source of fuel.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-14 19:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm, so looking into this a tad more, it appears that the energy required to produce the fuel is more than the energy you get out of the fuel itself. Not very practical for replacing oil and reducing carbon emissions unless we start building a bunch of nuclear power plants for the very purpose of creating the stuff. This might be why the news outlets don't seem to care about the story.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-14 19:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Mmm, partisan biases aside, the link really sensationalizes the actual work being done. This is maybe a better summary of the findings: http://www.navytimes.com/article/20121013/NEWS/210130317/Navy-eyes-turning-sea-water-into-jet-fuel

A key piece of info that was skipped over in the bloggers zeal to cockpunch some Republicans: The various chemical reactions require an outside energy source. Unless the reactions are efficient enough, more energy could potentially be expended in order to produce the fuel.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-14 19:38:22
Link | Quote | Reply

it wasn't really being too sensitive but it was more like trying to listen to someone with Tourrette's and although you are interested in what they are saying, you get tired of listening to a cursing tirade every couple of sentences.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-14 19:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Admittedly, I didn't do that much work on reading it. I sorta read a few lines then went back to grading. That extra energy *** sounds ridiculous. That's not to say that it's still not a viable solution, but it obviously needs some work to be done.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 19:39:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm all for creating more nuclear power plants, but not really to produce this, but if they can do this to the side for vehicles, and use the nuclear power to power the grid as well, then sure, why not.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 19:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
it wasn't really being too sensitive but it was more like trying to listen to someone with Tourrette's and although you are interested in what they are saying, you get tired of listening to a cursing tirade every couple of sentences.
While I agree...

I could name half a dozen posters on this site (on both sides of the proverbial aisle) at whom this comment could be directed. Just sayin'.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-14 19:41:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, it all sounds very practical for usage out in the middle of the ocean, but land-based energy provides many more options to us aside from synthesizing our own hydrocarbons.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-14 19:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
While I agree...

I could name half a dozen posters on this site (on both sides of the proverbial aisle) at whom this comment could be directed. Just sayin'.

Hey, nice apostrophe.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-14 19:45:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
While I agree...

Are you talking about me, you liberal scum? I never do anything like that. Go watch MSNBC and bow to your Obama shrine.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-04-14 19:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I mean, it all sounds very practical for usage out in the middle of the ocean, but land-based energy provides many more options to us aside from synthesizing our own hydrocarbons.

hopefully all this means is that people will finally wake up and realize that it's possible to replace oil as a primary fuel source.

*** ***BALLS SWEATY ***
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-04-14 19:47:33
Link | Quote | Reply

turn this into the Tourrette's thread?
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-14 19:48:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
I'm all for creating more nuclear power plants, but not really to produce this, but if they can do this to the side for vehicles, and use the nuclear power to power the grid as well, then sure, why not.

BUT WHAT ABOUT FUKUSHIMA MAN.

Last I read, all of California has been bathed in lethal radiation that will continue eastward across the US mutating everything in its path. Already fish are growing legs and walking on land, birds are melting right out the sky, wine crops are irradiated with Japanese nuclear waste and a portal to hell has opened up under San Francisco.

Everyone is going to die and its because we dabbled in nuclear satanic energy.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-14 19:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

This is fine for the navy and the ships that use nuclear reactors to power them, but it isn't going to replace oil, ever.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-14 19:54:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
This is fine for the navy and the ships that use nuclear reactors to power them, but it isn't going to replace oil, ever.

Honestly I seem to recall something about this some time ago, and I wouldn't go that far, may be a viable option for coastal areas.

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
BUT WHAT ABOUT FUKUSHIMA MAN.

Last I read, all of California has been bathed in lethal radiation that will continue eastward across the US mutating everything in its path. Already fish are growing legs and walking on land, birds are melting right out the sky, wine crops are irradiated with Japanese nuclear waste and a portal to hell has opened up under San Francisco.

Everyone is going to die and its because we dabbled in nuclear satanic energy.

I don't consider horrible acts of nature as logical reasons to not use a very potent source of energy that could drive the cost of energy nation-wide down a crapton.

Also: I have yet to read anything credible about any actual danger in the US from Fukushima, short of a bunch of anxiety driven retards giving themselves iodine poisoning closer to when it happened.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-14 20:21:38
Link | Quote | Reply

wow....

P-51 replica of the legendary Red Tail Squadron

You do know about the Tuskegee Airmen, didn't you?

Full disclosure: I have a pilot's license, SMEL, SES. Haven't been PIC for decades.

Rent and watch Carmen Jones.
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-14 20:22:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I know all about the Red Tails, what is your point and who are you talking to?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 20:23:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
and a portal to hell has opened up under San Francisco.
Pretty sure that's from the homos, not the nukes. Anyhow, Godzilla will save us if radiation is the problem. Remember, kids, Godzilla is the hero in most of his movies.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-14 20:48:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I know all about the Red Tails, what is your point and who are you talking to?
No one in particular, just in general.

But Carmen, all the Carmens, have always been my favorite operetta. And Carmen Jones was the first one I ever saw.

Also it resonates with me because of the whole shadow of WWII baby and pilot things.

My heroes as a kid were the WWII delivery pilots, the 1930s aviatrixes,
and Diana Prince.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 20:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
WWII delivery pilots
What about the candy bombers?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-14 20:51:35
Link | Quote | Reply

No, I wanted to fly the hot fighters.
 Lakshmi.Aelius
VIP
user: Aelius
By Lakshmi.Aelius 2014-04-14 21:13:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Why pay for salt water when you can fill up at an oceanic coastal beach for free?
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-04-14 21:26:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So if you live in Arizona, you're basically screwed.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-14 21:38:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
So if you live in Arizona, you're basically screwed.
Isn't that a given, anyhow?
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5