White House Will Regulate Cow Flatulence

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » White House will regulate cow flatulence
White House will regulate cow flatulence
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-03 22:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn dude, they totally forgot to do any decadal trend analysis. You should totally contact the NOAA or IPCC about that gnarly idea. Maybe we can finally get to the bottom of this thing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-03 22:11:41
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're going to argue against liberals on climate change, you have to use the right approach. Saying it doesn't exist puts you on very weak ground. The trends are there, and the correlation with human-introduced pollution (and I suppose cow farts as well) is pretty consistent. Skewed analysis on the behalf of scientists who stand to get more funding by lying could be a thing, but it requires a lot of work to prove. Saying that correlation doesn't prove causation is fine, but it's also hard to prove that humans aren't the cause. You're better off attacking the stupid, ill-advised policies that the left keeps throwing out and the inherent corruption that results from government-funded environmental projects that go nowhere.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-03 22:13:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes! I mean... HEY! -wags finger-
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-03 22:46:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Don't even waste your time, climate deniers are about as smart at this topic as I am at math. Shelve all that scientific evidence cause someone on the internet smells a global conspiracy!

Cause you know, the rest of the world hasn't done research outside the realm of petty American politics.
You're bad at mathing? really?
By Jetackuu 2014-04-03 22:49:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
If you're going to argue against liberals on climate change, you have to use the right approach. Saying it doesn't exist puts you on very weak ground. The trends are there, and the correlation with human-introduced pollution (and I suppose cow farts as well) is pretty consistent. Skewed analysis on the behalf of scientists who stand to get more funding by lying could be a thing, but it requires a lot of work to prove. Saying that correlation doesn't prove causation is fine, but it's also hard to prove that humans aren't the cause. You're better off attacking the stupid, ill-advised policies that the left keeps throwing out and the inherent corruption that results from government-funded environmental projects that go nowhere.

Using the buzzword "liberal" aside, rather decent post that I believe we can agree with.

We're in agreement that some of the policies (including cap and trade) are rather stupid, and I'm never going to say we should stop using oil/oilbyproducts right now, just saying we need to wean ourselves off it.

I'm big pro-nuclear, so not many can say I'm much of a tree-hugger.

On another note: why aren't they after landfills and their methane production?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-04 04:55:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Why isn't the US trying to reduce their landfills rather than shipping waste to other countries or researching better ways to decompose the waste?

DK started in the 80's, iirc, an inceneration program for waste. Now 20% of heat in DK is generated from garbage and 5%~ of electricity used in DK. While the amount of garbage sent to landfills has drastically reduced.
http://www.renosam.dk/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=fd6d1b7e-d091-417f-9322-ba157b0125c9&groupId=19854

Germany has been investing heavily in multi-facistated power production plants (a combo of wind, solar, etc) in order to maximize land use and the energy potential from one plant.

China is also heavily investing in other energy producing concepts. Same in Japan, India and many, many others.

The US is not going to be the market leader in sustainable energy production unless people get off their denial high horse and start innovating and investing. For all the so-called fisical conservatives on this site that means higher energy costs for businesses and individuals in the future. Even if you think global warming/climate change is BS there is money to be made in selling more energy efficient products, developing sustainable energy methods/products, and decreasing the US's reliance on imported oil without depleting the US's finite reserves.

Edit: to be clear, this is profitable for private businesses not scientists.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-04 09:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Kara I will be driving past hundreds of wind turbines today. In WA where we get almost all our power from hydroelectricity.

We are investing in renewable energy.

It is a pity that the turbines are made in China though.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-04-04 10:01:24
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Shiva.Nikolce
Server: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2014-04-04 10:32:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »
an inceneration program for waste.

We tried that here... but idiots kept throwing explosives away (mostly compressed gas cylinders like liquid propane and aerosols like paint) that kept exploding inside the incinerator and killing people.

once the fire in one of those things goes out of control it's hell getting it contained.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-04-04 10:49:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Why isn't the US trying to reduce their landfills rather than shipping waste to other countries or researching better ways to decompose the waste?

DK started in the 80's, iirc, an inceneration program for waste. Now 20% of heat in DK is generated from garbage and 5%~ of electricity used in DK. While the amount of garbage sent to landfills has drastically reduced.
http://www.renosam.dk/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=fd6d1b7e-d091-417f-9322-ba157b0125c9&groupId=19854

Germany has been investing heavily in multi-facistated power production plants (a combo of wind, solar, etc) in order to maximize land use and the energy potential from one plant.

China is also heavily investing in other energy producing concepts. Same in Japan, India and many, many others.

The US is not going to be the market leader in sustainable energy production unless people get off their denial high horse and start innovating and investing. For all the so-called fisical conservatives on this site that means higher energy costs for businesses and individuals in the future. Even if you think global warming/climate change is BS there is money to be made in selling more energy efficient products, developing sustainable energy methods/products, and decreasing the US's reliance on imported oil without depleting the US's finite reserves.

Because we had a dream! A dream to create a floating continent! We succeded... sadly it is not habitable... we overlooked that small fact...
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-04 15:55:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not propose to be an expert on this, but we do use landfills as sources of energy (something I've mentioned half a dozen times in this thread, actually). There shouldn't be a landfill left in the US that isn't self-sustaining in terms of electricity needs and most are able to sell back to the local energy grid as further income. I've not worked in an incinerator (but I have worked on a landfill, if wondering), so I'm unsure, but I think it would be absurd if we don't use them to produce further electricity.

Moreover, although it isn't exactly popular to say, we are in no danger of running out of places to correctly bury trash here in the US and the act of producing landfills has resulted in several completely safe and pristine hills and rises. The way a landfill is constructed makes environmental contamination virtually impossible, even when illegal items are dumped, and monitoring is strict to catch any possible failure.

So, basically, I'm not sure that your suggestions haven't been in place for a couple decades now. The lie told in the late '80s that the US was running out of landfill space did quite a lot to further make them efficient and environmentally sound. Sad that it also launched the recycling movement into overdrive. Excluding metal recycling, virtually all recycling causes more pollution and wastes more energy than it allegedly saves.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-04 19:33:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I do not propose to be an expert on this, but we do use landfills as sources of energy (something I've mentioned half a dozen times in this thread, actually). There shouldn't be a landfill left in the US that isn't self-sustaining in terms of electricity needs and most are able to sell back to the local energy grid as further income.
Unfortunately there are. There is a large landfill between Seattle and Tacoma WA that still flares off methane. We are mostly hydropower here and they would never amortize the generation gear.

Quote:
I think it would be absurd if we don't use them to produce further electricity.
So do I but economic reality prevails.

Quote:
Moreover, although it isn't exactly popular to say, we are in no danger of running out of places to correctly bury trash here in the US and the act of producing landfills has resulted in several completely safe and pristine hills and rises.
Almost every one is called Mt.Trashmore....

Quote:
The lie told in the late '80s that the US was running out of landfill space did quite a lot to further make them efficient and environmentally sound. Sad that it also launched the recycling movement into overdrive. Excluding metal recycling, virtually all recycling causes more pollution and wastes more energy than it allegedly saves.
But in the Northeast it costs SO much to haul stuff to a landfill. Diesel fuel and distance....

And recycling.... I used to work in recycling. Its so easy to set up a recycling program anywhere that the prices of recycling feedstock crashed and burned back in the early '90s.

Glass in the worst. When I worked in recycling there was a green glass problem. The USA imported so much green glass, mostly wrapped around beer and wine, that every glass making plant had a mountain of green glass next to it. And they can only run the furnaces at 97% recycled feedstock. But we import clear, brown, and blue glass too. So today its a glass problem. Glass doesn't burn in incinerators.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-04 19:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I would have thought glass would be one of the other materials we could readily recycle? It's an amorphous glass (pardon the redundancy but that's the word) of silicon molecules containing occasional coloring agents. Can we not melt it down?

Barring that, there's a recently-famous beach in California. For several decades, glass was chucked into the local ocean and spent several years getting rough-tumbled before winding up on the beach. Owing to the tumbling effect of riding the tides, it made for a very colorful and relatively safe beach, albeit not exactly comfortable because it was effectively covered in small "rocks." Since becoming well-known, however, the height of this glass beach has dropped precipitously as tourists have made off with the multi-colored glass pieces.

So, provided it won't meaningfully affect the ecosystem (I can't see how it would?), let's find a few places that can support the action and chuck a few tons of colored glass into the ocean.

Regarding the cost of hauling garbage around, is that not merely bald reality? Even if I had the space and inclination to compost, most of my personal waste is non-compostable. Paper is worthless to recycle but at least it can be burnt, but it would be stupid for me to burn it since it burns too hot to provide any practical benefit for me (i.e., to heat my home). Aluminum and most other metals I can haul down to a local scrapper to get some cash, so it behooves me to chuck it in the garbage. All that really leaves is plastic which I emphatically can do nothing with, so getting rid of it is the only option.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-04-04 20:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Economically, is most glass even worth recycling? My knowledge is limited, but it seems as though it might cost more to recycle than to just produce the stuff from scratch. That seems to be the case with some other materials where the ecological benefit doesn't outweigh the economic cost.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-04 20:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Need a space elevator and then just rocket the garbage to the sun and call it a day.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-04 20:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Economically, is most glass even worth recycling? My knowledge is limited, but it seems as though it might cost more to recycle than to just produce the stuff from scratch. That seems to be the case with some other materials where the ecological benefit doesn't outweigh the economic cost.
Considering it is made from one of the most abundant substances on the planet, I'd wager easy money that glass is among the majority of materials not economically worth recycling. But nor are paper and plastic (actually, recycling either causes more net pollution than burning or burying the things).
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-04 23:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
I do not propose to be an expert on this, but we do use landfills as sources of energy (something I've mentioned half a dozen times in this thread, actually). There shouldn't be a landfill left in the US that isn't self-sustaining in terms of electricity needs and most are able to sell back to the local energy grid as further income.
There are landfills that do this but this is voluntary.
http://www.epa.gov/lmop/basic-info/
EPA said:
Of the 2,400 or so currently operating or recently closed MSW landfills in the United States, more than 580 have LFG utilization projects. EPA estimates that approximately 450 additional MSW landfills could turn their gas into energy, producing enough electricity to power more than 490,000 homes.

Quote:
I've not worked in an incinerator (but I have worked on a landfill, if wondering), so I'm unsure, but I think it would be absurd if we don't use them to produce further electricity.
Incineration used to be more common but that has changed.
Wiki said:
Several old generation incinerators have been closed; of the 186 MSW incinerators in 1990, only 89 remained by 2007, and of the 6200 medical waste incinerators in 1988, only 115 remained in 2003.[57] No new incinerators were built between 1996 and 2007. The main reasons for lack of activity have been:
1. Economics. With the increase in the number of large inexpensive regional landfills and, up until recently, the relatively low price of electricity, incinerators were not able to compete for the 'fuel', i.e., waste in the U.S.
2. Tax policies. Tax credits for plants producing electricity from waste were rescinded in the U.S. between 1990 and 2004.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incineration#Incineration_in_North_America

Quote:
So, basically, I'm not sure that your suggestions haven't been in place for a couple decades now. The lie told in the late '80s that the US was running out of landfill space did quite a lot to further make them efficient and environmentally sound. Sad that it also launched the recycling movement into overdrive. Excluding metal recycling, virtually all recycling causes more pollution and wastes more energy than it allegedly saves.
You focused solely on landfills in my post. Roughly a quarter of the landfills in the US have some sort of energy recovery program.

Bolded: Recycling methods and techniques have greatly improved in efficiency since the 80's and are still improving. As energy prices increase recycling becomes even more economically viable (creating something new tends to be very energy intnsive versus re-using/recycling something else).

The entire point of my post was that the US has stopped (or drastically decreased) R&D into sustainable technologies whereas other countries have ramped up their funding and made great strides in efficiency. The US will become a market follower which is inherantly more expensive in the long run. Not only will the US lose out on potential revenue they will have to buy/rent this technology later or expend lots of money to play "catch up".
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-04-04 23:51:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Kara I will be driving past hundreds of wind turbines today. In WA where we get almost all our power from hydroelectricity.

We are investing in renewable energy.

It is a pity that the turbines are made in China though.

Washington is a pretty cool state but it is not the norm in the US.

Bolded is part of my point. The US is buying the technology available not investing in R&D (investing heavily compared to other countries or providing tax breaks/subsidies equilivant to what oil companies received when first getting started).

It is also odd that they are buying Chinese windmills. Longterm productivity is not as good for them as they tend to break more often than Siemens or Vestas. Cheaper initial price but longterm more financial upkeep needed.

Edited ~
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-05 00:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

that 8% of total mark saddens me
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-04-05 09:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »
Jetackuu said: »
You realize that just as many climate scientist's disagree with the whole global warming debate, as agree with it. If you wanna be worried about something take a look at the flares coming off the sun hitting earth.
lolwhat?

proof?
look up solar flares glancing/hitting earth. its pretty interesting. They claim the earthquakes this week are the result of a X-1 solar flare the sun let off on 28th of march. On the 29th they even claimed a big earthquake was coming in the next few days.

Oh FFS, who claims this?

As a farmer, I would think preventing crap from getting into places would be one of the things you would be interested in. Propagating this COSTS YOU MONEY. LOTS OF MONEY. STOP.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-05 22:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

You realize that just as many climate scientist's disagree with the whole global warming debate, as agree with it. If you wanna be worried about something take a look at the flares coming off the sun hitting earth.
Alti, the bolded part of that is DEAD wrong. Among climate scientists almost all agree we are on a warming cycle and that the warming will bring more extreme weather. the only real argument is just how much of it is anthropogenic. The vast majority say most.

I read an article in Scientific American in 2011? 12? where some dude traced back anthropogenic global warming to 10,000 BC. Slash and burn agriculture, cattle and pig farming back then.

I read within the last month or two that the denial scientists have never been published in a peer reviewed journal. Not a one, not ever.

I will search for them tomorrow, but I think the latter is from slate, a known liberal source.

And you just could be right about the if not for global warming we would be in an ice age. But then you would have to admit to the warming phase part.
By Jetackuu 2014-04-05 22:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The earth has warming/cooling periods, so that's not really an argument, the only argument is whether humanity is affecting it, if so how, and what will that mean, etc, etc.

Yet big oil wants to keep raking in profits so they make up this *** to try to descredit scientists, it's sad.

environmental concerns shouldn't be a partisan issue.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-06 17:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Found the Scientific American article:

How Did Humans First Alter Global Climate?

Quote:
A bold new hypothesis suggests that our ancestors' farming practices kicked off global warming thousands of years before we started burning coal and driving cars

Haven't found a way to search Slate yet....
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-19 13:53:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Kangaroos to the rescue!

Kangaroo gut microbes make eco-friendly farts - Science News and yes, that's their headline.

Quote:
When kangaroos let one rip, the gas may be offensive to the nose but easy on the planet.

Marsupial toots and burps contain little or no methane, a potent greenhouse gas. A new study suggests that the scanty emissions are thanks to the distinct mix of microbes in the kangaroos’ gut.
By Yuukari 2014-04-19 15:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Out-freaking-standing. While the rest of the world is in a rut, we're focused on farting.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-19 15:54:46
Link | Quote | Reply

We're classy like that.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-19 16:00:15
Link | Quote | Reply

The focus is climate change, which this is a part of despite the silliness of debating cow farts. It is also possible for multiple issues to be addressed at one time. What is this conversation detracting from exactly?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-19 16:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So I can't read further without a subscription and *** that noise. Question on my mind: what do they expel if not methane? Let's not forget that methane is far from the only "greenhouse gas" out there, even if it does happen to be both efficient and persistent.
 Leviathan.Kincard
Server: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-04-19 17:48:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
What is this conversation detracting from exactly?

Nothing, because when you can't actually make an argument against something, naturally the next step is to try to ridicule it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Server: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-04-19 22:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I have NO idea how they will handle this udderly daunting feat.

Wanted: Federal Marshals to enforce the limited flatulence of cows law.