White House Will Regulate Cow Flatulence

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » White House will regulate cow flatulence
White House will regulate cow flatulence
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Shiva.Rucks
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Seravolk
By Shiva.Rucks 2014-04-01 22:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Grumpy Cat said: »
I call ***.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-02 09:32:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Anyhow, serious question for those who know: how are cattle ranched these days? I presume we can't lock them in cube-shaped cages the size of a full-grown steer the way we do with chickens, but would it be feasible to, say, cover over at least some pasture and barn areas to collect the methane liberated prior to manure collection and processing? ....
Let me briefly describe a modern dairy operation.

Hundreds to a few thousand cows. they all get milked twice a day and the milking goes on 24/7/365. The assorted covered cow accessible spaces can hold maybe 15% - 20% of the herd.

There are perhaps 50 different ways to raise beef cattle. Most beef cattle never have a roof over their heads until its slaughterhouse time.

Siren.Mosin said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You might want to open a newspaper or go to a news website once in a while.
please, do elaborate.
Oh please don't ask him to do that.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
In case you didn't notice the white house is in Democratic hands....
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-04-02 09:49:00
Link | Quote | Reply

As the old saying goes, light a match!

Problem solved. Might not work out so well for the cows, but you can't win 'em all.

The cows in Germany apparently already tried it, with minor consequences.

Source
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-04-02 09:51:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Oh please don't ask him to do that.

I have masochistic tendencies, I apologize.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 16:04:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Having been a small dairy farmer I find this all quite humorous.

My cows would be out on pasture 95% of the time during spring,summer and fall and are fed grain twice a day when milking.
My cows live 8-18yrs and have little need of Antibiotics.

Mega-dairy cows are under a roof being fed corn silage mixed with the minerals they need, to produce as much milk as possible. They get milked 3-5 times per day to maximize profit because they only live 4-5yrs max! They are given Antibiotics regularly and if they have not already dead by 5 yrs old, they are shipped to slaughter and the (meat if thats what you want to call it) is sent to fast food joints. Ever wonder why fast food was cheap?

The humorous part of all this is, my style of dairy farming has been pretty much eradicated by mega-dairys and government regulation meant to curb the horrible ***coming out of them.

The people screwed the most is people like you all "the consumers", who have no idea wtf is going on and most likely have never even seen a cow in your life.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 16:24:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Altimaomega said: »

My cows would be out on pasture 95% of the time during spring,summer and fall and are fed grain twice a day when milking.

Mega-dairy cows are under a roof being fed corn silage mixed with the minerals they need, to produce as much milk as possible. They get milked 3-5 times per day to maximize profit because they only live 4-5yrs max! They are given Antibiotics regularly and if they have not already dead by 5 yrs old, they are shipped to slaughter and the (meat if thats what you want to call it) is sent to fast food joints. Ever wonder why fast food was cheap?

The humorous part of all this is, my style of dairy farming has been pretty much eradicated by mega-dairys and government regulation meant to curb the horrible ***coming out of them.

The people screwed the most is people like you all "the consumers", who have no idea wtf is going on and most likely have never even seen a cow in your life.
Interesting commentary and important points...

But what does it have to do with the proposed regulation?
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 16:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Interesting commentary and important points...

But what does it have to do with the proposed regulation?

It has everything to do with the proposed regulation. When things like this are passed they affect small and mega the same. What people do not understand is the Mega are heavily subsidized by the government. Long story short the government is gonna fine the mega-farms, then turn around and give the money back in the form of a subsidy. The small dairy's (The few that still exists) will be once again crushed by government regulation. While the government and mega-dairys continue on with the massive grip they have on your food supply.

P.S. This is happening in every single form of business one way or the other. Its not hard to recognize once you know what to look for.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 16:49:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, valid point.

So do you have no concern for the environmental future of the planet or are you simply protesting that mega-corporations are in bed with government? Put another way, if you were asked to do something about your cattle's methane expulsions (which, for the 40th time, should be a source of profit/income over the medium-to-long term), would you do it, or would you refuse to by protesting the corruption that is grinding down your personal business regardless of what form it takes?
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-02 16:52:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I have never seen a truly mega dairy Alti.

Every one I have seen has the cows mostly outside when not being milked although many never see much pasturage.

Biggest ones out here run a few thousand cows.

So I guess in the more industrial setting you describe they could collect some methane through floor vents.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 17:26:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, valid point.

So do you have no concern for the environmental future of the planet or are you simply protesting that mega-corporations are in bed with government? Put another way, if you were asked to do something about your cattle's methane expulsions (which, for the 40th time, should be a source of profit/income over the medium-to-long term), would you do it, or would you refuse to by protesting the corruption that is grinding down your personal business regardless of what form it takes?

There is absolutely nothing that can be done for cow farts. (lmao)

I don't know if they are using the cow fart thing for sensationalism or if the people writing this article are just completely stupid. Cow ***in storage pools is what his should be about, its the only thing that can be controlled. The bigger the farm the bigger the pools, I've seen olympic size cow ***pools that more than likely produce quite a bit of methane.

Small dairy's that have cows on pasture produce far less ***per cow, and do not require a storage pool because they don't deal with liquid ***.

Mega-Dairy's have the cows on massive concrete floors that drain into storage pools, then it is syphoned out and spread onto fields. THEN it rains a drains into the rivers, lakes, and streams!

I have heard of a new type of storage for this type of thing, instead of pools and spreading. The liquid ***is put into a high heated system and comes out dry and sterile. Then its used for bedding.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-04-02 17:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

There's been at least a few farms that have actually turned the manure into an energy source for the farm, however it is dangerous and requires a good deal of equipment/monitoring to do, however it actually would be used as a power source.

I'm not saying this is the answer, and it would need to be examined for it's cost and environmental applications, but it would be a potential solution to just storing the ***, literally.

I believe there was a dirty jobs thing on it or something.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Server: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-04-02 17:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

There is absolutely nothing that can be done for cow farts.
Not true. I can't find anything specific on this proposed regulation, but I did find some strategies proposed by Canadian scientists that look to reduce emissions from the cow itself.
TLDR; the same strategies you use to keep yourself from farting excessively can be utilized on cows.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-02 17:50:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
There's been at least a few farms that have actually turned the manure into an energy source for the farm, however it is dangerous and requires a good deal of equipment/monitoring to do, however it actually would be used as a power source.

I'm not saying this is the answer, and it would need to be examined for it's cost and environmental applications, but it would be a potential solution to just storing the ***, literally....
Mostly objecting to the bolded part.

This is OLD tech. In the hippy back to the land '60s there was a big push to alternative energy. One of the things investigated was methane converters. They found WWII era info on them and took it from there.

Things have improved over the last 50 years though and with current mechanical and biological advances the process had been shortened from 30 days to 15 or 18. Its flow through and the effluent is STILL great fertilizer.

Manure/Methane Digester - Minnesota Conservation Funding Guide

And a home made one:
I so suck at linking Utube....
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-02 18:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

.... if you were asked to do something about your cattle's methane expulsions (which, for the 40th time, should be a source of profit/income over the medium-to-long term)....
Yes it should be. But a farmer who runs his cows on pasturage produces less cow gas and can't collect the poo which drys quite rapidly into cow pies and doesn't produce methane like cow poo in those collection pools.

I don't know if they are using the cow fart thing for sensationalism or if the people writing this article are just completely stupid. Cow ***in storage pools is what his should be about, its the only thing that can be controlled. The bigger the farm the bigger the pools, I've seen olympic size cow ***pools that more than likely produce quite a bit of methane.
Cow poo in storage pools is a whole different problem that needs to be addressed too.

Quote:
I have heard of a new type of storage for this type of thing, instead of pools and spreading. The liquid ***is put into a high heated system and comes out dry and sterile. Then its used for bedding.
Why not fertilizer? Does it burn the nitrogen out?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 18:01:23
Link | Quote | Reply

You're latching onto the sensational language (people apparently like fart jokes -- I'm not one of them *shrug*) rather than the important bit.

You also ignored my question. Since your kind of farming produces fewer emissions, this should be the perfect time to step up and say, "Look at me, I produce better milk, better beef, I release fewer greenhouse gases, AND I economically convert my waste products into clean energy!" As in, this regulation could be used to better yourself. Or you could whine about gub'mint controlling your life and selling you out to big business. I'm sure that'll help, too.

And a home made one:
I so suck at linking Utube....
YouTube Video Placeholder

For future reference: enclose the URL in square-bracket youtube tags (same as how you use square-brackets around i to italicize) and make sure the URL is http:// instead of https://
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-02 18:13:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I push the YouTube button, I insert the link, it comes up tilt...
By fonewear 2014-04-02 18:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You are signed into youtube that is where the https comes from. I've done it a million times.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 18:16:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I push the YouTube button, I insert the link, it comes up tilt...
Yeah, unfortunately you need to edit the URL to remove the "s" from https:// Youtube videos won't embed from a secure URL. No clue why being logged into Youtube needs to be secured, though.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-04-02 18:17:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Got it and thanks Fone and Ono.

Waitaminuet Fone. You aren't supposed to make sense. You are slipping.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-02 18:17:48
Link | Quote | Reply

No problem. It frustrates me too. I forget about the "s".
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 18:28:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Why not fertilizer? Does it burn the nitrogen out?[/quote]

Yeah, its completely sterile but using it for bedding is a huge plus for cost saving in the long run.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 18:33:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You're latching onto the sensational language (people apparently like fart jokes -- I'm not one of them *shrug*) rather than the important bit.

You also ignored my question. Since your kind of farming produces fewer emissions, this should be the perfect time to step up and say, "Look at me, I produce better milk, better beef, I release fewer greenhouse gases, AND I economically convert my waste products into clean energy!" As in, this regulation could be used to better yourself. Or you could whine about gub'mint controlling your life and selling you out to big business. I'm sure that'll help, too.

Hey thats a great idea, wonder why I never thought of that! Ohhh yea thats right because its illegal for me to sell my milk unless its to a dairy plant....................... Well I guess I could build my own plant and distribute my milk that way, I'll just need to buy 1000 more cows build another barn put in a storage pool... wait a minute ><
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 18:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, be bitchy. It really demonstrates what your priority actually is.

I am not a dairy farmer. I do not know what kind of dairy farm you run. If you don't sell milk, I assume you do sell beef. So my point stands, but you're going to wander off on a tangent because you're not actually interested in doing anything but whinging about how big business and the government want your blood and your first-born and your soul.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 18:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes, be bitchy. It really demonstrates what your priority actually is.

I am not a dairy farmer. I do not know what kind of dairy farm you run. If you don't sell milk, I assume you do sell beef. So my point stands, but you're going to wander off on a tangent because you're not actually interested in doing anything but whinging about how big business and the government want your blood and your first-born and your soul.

Thats me being sarcastic because you have no clue what your talking about. I didnt wander off on anything it is ILLEGAL for me to sell milk to ANYONE besides a DAIRY PROCESSING PLANT please learn how to read.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 18:54:41
Link | Quote | Reply

And that's not my *** point. Which is patently obvious to anyone who can read.

Swear to heaven and earth, some of the people on this forum dodge so constantly that I suspect they're actually Thief players using their SP.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 19:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

And that's not my *** point. Which is patently obvious to anyone who can read.

Swear to heaven and earth, some of the people on this forum dodge so constantly that I suspect they're actually Thief players using their SP.

WTF are you talking about I answered your question, what did I dodge? [/quote] Swear to heaven and earth, some of the people on this forum dodge so constantly that I suspect they're actually Thief players using their SP.[/quote]
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 19:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The question is not about whether or not you can *** sell milk. The question is whether you're going to either use the opportunity presented by the new regulation to promote your business or instead whine about how it will destroy your business because the government and mega-corporations are determined to destroy you.

Additionally, I've asked two or three times if you have any concern about being environmentally cleaner, as is the goal of the legislation, and you've said nothing on that count.
By Altimaomega 2014-04-02 19:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

The question is not about whether or not you can *** sell milk. The question is whether you're going to either use the opportunity presented by the new regulation to promote your business or instead whine about how it will destroy your business because the government and mega-corporations are determined to destroy you.

Additionally, I've asked two or three times if you have any concern about being environmentally cleaner, as is the goal of the legislation, and you've said nothing on that count.

You must be to wrapped up in yourself to understand that, in order to take this "opportunity presented by the new regulation to promote my business" I would have to BECOME A MEGA-DAIRY in order to afford it, thus DEFEATING the opportunity.

As for my concern about the environment and the goal of this. I think Mega-Dairy's are a huge environmental problem. However,
I'm positive w/o doubt that this legislation has nothing to do with the environment and everything to do with money and control.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-02 19:37:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, see, you have in no way explained why you'd need to expand your business. Telling me "It's illegal for me to sell milk!" does not translate because I'm not a dairy farmer. You're very bad at making yourself understood. So try really, really hard to take more than 3 seconds bashing your face into your keyboard and explicate why your farm, which produces a higher-quality product at a lower environmental cost, would need to expand in order to promote itself.

Your knee-jerk, talk-radio paranoia in regards to government action is noted and disagreed with. Maybe next time I won't have to ask three times.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-04-02 19:46:06
Link | Quote | Reply

or instead whine about how it will destroy your business because the government and mega-corporations are determined to destroy you.

You must be to wrapped up in yourself to understand that, in order to take this "opportunity presented by the new regulation to promote my business" I would have to BECOME A MEGA-DAIRY in order to afford it, thus DEFEATING the opportunity.

Chalk 1 up to mega corporations destroying the little guy.