Bill Nye Debates Creationist Ken Ham Live 2/4/2014

Eorzea Time

Language: JP EN FR DE
Version 3.1
New Items
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
Bill Nye debates Creationist Ken Ham live 2/4/2014
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20
By Jetackuu 2014-02-07 14:17:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Quote:
Without turning this into a bible quote-fest. The bible gives examples where God tests man's faith. These are prime examples which contradict pre-destiny.
Then Yhwh is not omniscient. Omniscient or free-will, pick one; they are mutually exclusive.

e.g.: if a deity knows for truth what choice you will make given a specific set of circumstances, because it knows past, present and future, it is not a test.

I've barked up this tree before, usually ends up with their fingers in their ears going "lalala I don't hear you"
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-02-07 14:25:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Keityan said: »
Shiva.Onorgul said: »
Literally stopped reading at that point.

This is why people like you are breeding the "faith of science". You block it out. You block it out because it is something that you don't want to hear. You don't like to listen to your own vulnerabilities. By doing this, this disallows science from getting better.

This is ironic, because I don't have a lot of faith in modern science, but even I stopped reading at that point. It has nothing to do with vulnerabilities, it's because I have a logical mind, and illogical thoughts have no place there. It's a safeguard to prevent my brain from experiencing the blue screen of death.
[+]
 Bismarck.Keityan
Server: Bismarck
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-02-07 14:26:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I'll just stop since our arguments are only tangentially related at this point. I don't know who you're referring when you mention people who think we know everything, but none of those people are in this thread.

This is the part of the argument that pertains to you:

Quote:
4. “The concept of uncertainty is poor argument to make against scientific evidence”. Agree or Disagree
Agree- Uncertainty is a poor argument because we have the evidence that supports a different theory. We do know the conditions of early earth based on very real observations that can be made today. Scientists do rely on the assumption that laws and processes did work the same way back then as they do now (Uniformitarianism), but it's an assumption that needs to be made to be able to study literally anything. For example, what's the point of studying antibiotic resistance in one plate of bacteria if we can't assume that the same processes are occurring in another plate of identical bacteria? There's nothing to be gained from a non-parsimonious explanation of the past (or present) that includes mysterious or unknown forces we have yet to encounter. (While this is a great post, I realize later he never addressed why uncertainty is less salient.)
Disagree (Keityan)- Uncertainty is the process in which science adds more hypothesis to the stack. When you create a hypothesis, you ask more questions about what you are uncertain about. This is the nature of hypothesis testing. Thus, if someone tells you that there is “too much uncertainty” because the artifacts may be too old to be reliable, the goal of a scientist is to create enough facts to prove that it is reliable. Overcoming uncertainty is a process of science, therefore it is no less salient of an argument.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-02-07 14:40:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Without turning this into a bible quote-fest. The bible gives examples where God tests man's faith. These are prime examples which contradict pre-destiny.
Then Yhwh is not omniscient. Omniscient or free-will, pick one; they are mutually exclusive. e.g.: if a deity knows for truth what choice you will make given a specific set of circumstances, because it knows past, present and future, it is not a test.
For an omniscient being past present and future are all one state. You can know something without dictating it. The omniscient being may already know what your answer will be, not because it has been predetermined or dictated, but because it's already been experienced.
[+]
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-02-07 14:50:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
it's because I have a logical mind, and illogical thoughts have no place there. It's a safeguard to prevent my brain from experiencing the blue screen of death.

Pointing out key scientific gaps is progressive and helps science moving forward. Do you think these debates are making science less substantial? No, it's making it stronger, developing, and fortifying it.

As for your blue screen of death situation, I agree. This is what happens when we have emotional prejudices, we tend to block things out. But that's emotional logic, not logic. If I asked you a week later:

"Do you think that scrutinizing scientific work is an acceptable way to argue or make a point?"

You'd likely say yes. But for some reason, posters have claimed that "it is not salient". Why? Because a creationist made that argument.

That's not logic in my books.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-02-07 14:52:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Then Yhwh is not omniscient. Omniscient or free-will, pick one; they are mutually exclusive.

e.g.: if a deity knows for truth what choice you will make given a specific set of circumstances, because it knows past, present and future, it is not a test.

It's one of the paradoxes of Judeo-Christianity. Omniscient and free-will are only mutually exclusive if you assume that Yhwh is not aware of all other other possible futures.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-02-07 14:54:14
Link | Quote | Reply

If your answer is known before you've made it, it is not free will. The simple fact of knowing all things at all times negates the idea of choice. It was never a choice, only an outcome. You will choose A. You are choosing A. You chose A. B was never a possibility. This is fate.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-07 14:56:42
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Keityan:

[+]
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-02-07 14:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Uniformitarianism doesn't stipulate that conditions remain constant like in your example. It says that laws and processes, such as radioactive decay, remain conserved through time and across distances. So the conditions of the atmosphere have changed but the rate at which process of decay stays the same. Can corrections be made for atmospheric composition? ***, I dunno. I don't work with isotopes, but the point is the assumption that decay remains consistent is what allows for estimates with a measurable level of uncertainty.

Oh yeah, and uniformitarianism does stipulate the conditions such as atmosphere. This is because the formation of CO2 in our atmosphere is also one such process. We would have to keep it constant through thousands of years.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-07 14:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll just stop since our arguments are only tangentially related at this point. I don't know who you're referring when you mention people who think we know everything, but none of those people are in this thread.

This is the part of the argument that pertains to you:

Quote:
4. “The concept of uncertainty is poor argument to make against scientific evidence”. Agree or Disagree
Agree- Uncertainty is a poor argument because we have the evidence that supports a different theory. We do know the conditions of early earth based on very real observations that can be made today. Scientists do rely on the assumption that laws and processes did work the same way back then as they do now (Uniformitarianism), but it's an assumption that needs to be made to be able to study literally anything. For example, what's the point of studying antibiotic resistance in one plate of bacteria if we can't assume that the same processes are occurring in another plate of identical bacteria? There's nothing to be gained from a non-parsimonious explanation of the past (or present) that includes mysterious or unknown forces we have yet to encounter. (While this is a great post, I realize later he never addressed why uncertainty is less salient.)
Disagree (Keityan)- Uncertainty is the process in which science adds more hypothesis to the stack. When you create a hypothesis, you ask more questions about what you are uncertain about. This is the nature of hypothesis testing. Thus, if someone tells you that there is “too much uncertainty” because the artifacts may be too old to be reliable, the goal of a scientist is to create enough facts to prove that it is reliable. Overcoming uncertainty is a process of science, therefore it is no less salient of an argument.
Yeah, I got that. You summarized my argument incorrectly and misquoted me, which is pretty brazen seeing how anyone can just refer to my original post to see what I said. Also, at no point did I imply that our knowledge is complete and unerring.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here by taking Ham's comments out of the context of the debate. He's not highlighting scientific uncertainty for the betterment of science, he brings it up to help give his own crooked world views credibility.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-07 15:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Pleebo:

The only reason why you think he is, as you said:

he brings it up to help give his own crooked world views credibility

is because you both don't agree with his world views and are scared of such world views.

I mean, why else would you attack said views if you aren't frightened of them?
 Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-02-07 15:04:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You summarized my argument incorrectly and completely misquoted me, which is pretty brazen seeing how anyone can just refer to my original post to see what I said. Also, at no point did I imply that our knowledge is complete and unerring.

Dude, I copy and pasted your post lol. It's word for word. I even gave you an intro to your uniformitarism post which I even commented was very good.

--

I did make a broad generalization about "knowing all" and I need it to be "know enough". This was an artifact of extemporaneous typing. You're also not the one that claimed that we know for certain the atmospheric conditions of the past. I simply stated that someone pointing that evidence might be incomplete is a salient argument.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-07 15:14:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
@ Pleebo:

is because you both don't agree with his world views and are scared of such world views.

lulz

Bismarck.Keityan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2014-02-07 15:15:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
He's not highlighting scientific uncertainty for the betterment of science, he brings it up to help give his own crooked world views credibility.

This is true in the sense that his goals are different. But by bringing up these topics, we are forced to look at these questions in a higher degree of scrutiny, thus fortifying our evidence. It may not be his intention, but this is the end result. Science gets stronger after debates like these, not weaker.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-02-07 15:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
@ Pleebo:

lulz

I'm glad you realized that. I have been saying for a while now that I'm not the one who is trolling on these boards....
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2014-02-07 15:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem isn't that creationists don't go

"Radiometric dating isn't perfect, I want to see more evidence."
"The fossil record isn't complete, I reserve my judgment for more data."
"I don't know how light diffracts to form the colors of a sunset, I'll go research this."

creationists go:

"Radiometric dating isn't perfect, therefore God."
"The fossil record isn't complete, therefore God."
"I don't understand how light interacts with the atmosphere, so God did it."

As Ken Ham stated, nothing will change his mind, so any "concern" he expresses over the wholeness of science is smoke and mirrors. He just wants to tear ***down because he thinks the Earth is 6000 years old. Artificial "creationist" inquiry is akin to ramming your house with a bulldozer to see how it would stand up to an earthquake. This type of inquiry does absolutely nothing to benefit or further science.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-07 15:26:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
He's not highlighting scientific uncertainty for the betterment of science, he brings it up to help give his own crooked world views credibility.

This is true in the sense that his goals are different. But by bringing up these topics, we are forced to look at these questions in a higher degree of scrutiny, thus fortifying our evidence. It may not be his intention, but this is the end result. Science gets stronger after debates like these, not weaker.
Quote:
Uncertainty is a poor argument because we have the evidence that supports a different theory.
I didn't say that and I think it twists what I said, but on the fundamental issue of uncertainty we have no disagreements. In the context of the debate, you're giving Ham undeserved credit.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2014-02-07 15:27:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

***. These types of debates have absolutely zero effect on the progress of science. We will continue to develop better methods, better dating techniques, stronger theories regardless of whether or not some young earth creationists want to spout nonsense behind a podium.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-02-07 15:29:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sylow said: »
spout nonsense behind a podium.

seems like an entertaining enough endeavor.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2014-02-07 15:30:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said: »
Both sides need to be able to stop for a second and theorize, yeah I could be completely wrong." And open their minds a bit like that creation website claims they want to do.

Except, that's what science is all about. You could be wrong ... which is why you look for evidence to back it up.

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-02-07 15:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the endgame of science was ascension into omnipotent pure energy beings or have I been watching too much Stargate lately?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-02-07 15:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought the endgame of science was ascension into omnipotent, pure energy beings or have I been watching too much Stargate lately?
Been reading Peter F. Hamilton?
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-02-07 15:42:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss SGU. :(
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-02-07 15:50:48
Link | Quote | Reply

If your answer is known before you've made it, it is not free will. The simple fact of knowing all things at all times negates the idea of choice. It was never a choice, only an outcome. You will choose A. You are choosing A. You chose A. B was never a possibility. This is fate.
It's a matter of perception. What if it isn't that the answer is known before you've made it but that you've already made that decision?

The idea is that god exists in everything at all times past present and future. Just because you know something doesn't mean that you dictated that it would happen.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-02-07 15:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the obsession with crime dramas?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-02-07 16:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Stargate Universe not Special Victims Unit lol...
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-02-07 16:11:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Stargate Universe not Special Victims Unit lol...

Never let a shits and gigs Janna ult go to waste.

Jeez...Thanks, Flav. Thanks. :/
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
Server: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-02-07 16:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Literally stopped reading at that point.
This is why people like you are breeding the "faith of science". You block it out. You block it out because it is something that you don't want to hear. You don't like to listen to your own vulnerabilities. By doing this, this disallows science from getting better. Because of this, I encourage you to read it because it might give you insight of how to think scientifically instead of using your preconceived prejudices to judge arguments.
Specious argumentation that I have already addressed. Most people do not benefit from knowing things.

Having faith in science is based on the fact that science contains repeatable experiments and confirmable data. The facts are much more likely to get twisted by news media and if you want to make a screed against them, by all means make a new thread and do it. In the question of having faith in something that has NO BASIS WHATSOEVER and having faith in something that can be demonstrated, there shouldn't be a debate. By suggesting that everyone should pretend to be competent enough to evaluate the myriad specialized branches of scientific inquiry, you are creating a mirror ignorance to the jackasses promoting Creationism.

In fact, I strongly suspect that is exactly your aim. I know rhetorical technique and I see a very sinister undercurrent in your "Don't trust science" arguments that you've tarted up to look like a promotion of inquiry. Scientific inquiry doesn't benefit from proles sticking their noses into it. Same goes for every politician taking direction from public opinion polls, but that's a debate for another place.

If you want to talk about the limitations of science, great, but don't do so in the context of defending those who promote ignorance.
This is exactly what I'm doing because limitations is one of the arguments made against science. It's real. I won't care if Christans pointed it out, scientists pointed it out, gay, lesiban, black, white, Chinese, Indian. It's the argument that counts.
Context is everything in a debate. Period. Your subject is science (allegedly) but the forum is rhetoric and credibility counts where rhetoric holds sway.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-02-07 16:20:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Flavin said:
It's a matter of perception. What if it isn't that the answer is known before you've made it but that you've already made that decision?
Illustrate that. As is, it just looks like a weak word-game to me.

Flavin said:
The idea is that god exists in everything at all times past present and future. Just because you know something doesn't mean that you dictated that it would happen.
Except that it does when you are the genesis of all lives, and progenitor of the test in which they are subject to. Before they are born, it is known whether or not they will pass his test. At the beginning of time, it was known that that specific individual would not pass the test. It is not a "test" when it is rigged from the start. It is not free will when your answer was known before you existed.

e.g.: I literally know everything. I devise a test that I know some (see: most) of my children will fail. I punish them for that failure in the most ultimate of ways, despite knowing with absolute certainty that they will fail.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 ... 18 19 20